Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Owlbear Camus posted:

Shaw arrives on the Engineer homeworld. They greet her with much more warmth than the first Engineer they met. David translates from their ur-tongue.

"They are offering refreshment. Anything you desire they can synthesize with their biotech."

"Can I have a Coke?"

"They ask if Pepsi would be okay?"

This got a sensible chuckle from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Vagabundo posted:

Plus it’s nowhere near as blatant as Neil Marshall’s Doomsday, where there’s an extended sequence that’s almost a 1:1 remake of the scene where Ripley drives the APC into and then out of the nest - all you have to do is replace the Xenos with Scottish people.

I love how Doomsday is such a shameless love letter to all Marshall's favourites - it opens with an EFNY style Carpenter font 'NOW', the lead is a Lara Croft/Snake Plissken mash up who has to break into the sealed off quarantine zone; after a tense foray into an eerie, lifeless Glasgow, the feral, lawless Scotch survivors descend on them like Aliens in a hive; then they escape into the highlands into a weird feudal Mad Max 2. It's like a mad 80s thriller mixtape of a film.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I liked that movie

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

You can always lure them in with a Pepsi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3yZ6BupKQo

So Weyland-Yutani wanted to weaponize the xenomorph for use in the Cola Wars? :confused:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Doomsday is good and its portrayal of how right wing governments deal with pandemics turned out to be bang on lmao

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Sentinel Red posted:

after a tense foray into an eerie, lifeless Glasgow, the feral, lawless Scotch survivors descend on them like Aliens in a hive

https://youtu.be/T8wIgQB9GIA

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

I love how Doomsday is such a shameless love letter to all Marshall's favourites - it opens with an EFNY style Carpenter font 'NOW', the lead is a Lara Croft/Snake Plissken mash up who has to break into the sealed off quarantine zone; after a tense foray into an eerie, lifeless Glasgow, the feral, lawless Scotch survivors descend on them like Aliens in a hive; then they escape into the highlands into a weird feudal Mad Max 2. It's like a mad 80s thriller mixtape of a film.

Sounds like a weekend in Uddingston.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

Oh drat, I forgot Rhona Mitra's character gets her eye shot out in beginning of the movie and runs around with a prosthetic replacement she uses to scope out situations before going into them. So yeah, the Plissken influence is still there.

Also, there's a great bit where the Glasgowien survivors are all cannibals, but when the team escapes from the city, the countryside has ample amounts of livestock roaming the land free range, the implication that the Glasgowien survivors went cannibal for the hell of it.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Shaw arrives on the Engineer homeworld. They greet her with much more warmth than the first Engineer they met. David translates from their ur-tongue.

"They are offering refreshment. Anything you desire they can synthesize with their biotech."

"Can I have a Coke?"

"They ask if Pepsi would be okay?"

"Do you have Dr. Pepper?"

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 5, 2021

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Humanity: Coca-Cola
Xenomorphs: Pepsi
Engineers: Store brand cola

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I liked The Predator. Fight me.

I just saw it's on TV right now and that reminded me of it. The Rotten Tomatoes rating it shows is 33%. Which I would expect from a Predator movie. I think it was the cast that sold me. Plus, I'm super lenient with movies because I find enjoyment with almost all that I watch. There's only a handful of movies that I just had to stop watching.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If any UK goons are looking to buy toys for themselves their children, looks like Smyths will be getting some Alien figures in.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sunswipe posted:

If any UK goons are looking to buy toys for themselves their children, looks like Smyths will be getting some Alien figures in.

US Goons can find those at Walmart

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

US Goons can find those at Walmart

They look pretty loving cool, especially for the price. Might have to pick a few up.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Sunswipe posted:

Xenomorph Runner in the bottom right looks like it's just received some bad news.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Someone edit it into Loss.jpg.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Rascar Capac posted:

Xenomorph Runner in the bottom right looks like it's just received some bad news.
30cm for 20 Euro ok this sentence is going downhill rapidly

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

quote:

Contents: 1 Xenomorph warrior, 1 rotating sentry gun and 1 Colonial space marine figure with a weapon
Colonial marines "vs" aliens!
Full-scale attack!
Fully poseable figures with attacking action!
Rotating sentry gun!
Includes action articulated Xenomorph warrior and figure with battle accessories
This is some real bootleg copy

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Also:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

:lol:

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Rascar Capac posted:

They all kinda look like they are working through some things.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Hey

Hey guys

I just thought about Aliens and now you just did, too. Ride the vibe kemosabe

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

I got that queen alien and the APC on a drunken 3am trip to Walmart back just before Covid and it’s pretty fuckin’ amazing. I intend to get a bunch of the regular aliens and such. gently caress NECA, I want my toys to be toys dang it, not “adult collectibles.” Anyway, any idea how they’re able to do this? I doesn’t seem like they have the license for it and it’s sure as hell not public domain yet.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
watchw.me. showed the documentary The Alien Saga earlier today, then later showed the director's cut of Aliens.

Now I'm thinking about Aliens (the movies).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bulgaroctonus posted:

I got that queen alien and the APC on a drunken 3am trip to Walmart back just before Covid and it’s pretty fuckin’ amazing. I intend to get a bunch of the regular aliens and such. gently caress NECA, I want my toys to be toys dang it, not “adult collectibles.” Anyway, any idea how they’re able to do this? I doesn’t seem like they have the license for it and it’s sure as hell not public domain yet.

Lanard Toys definitely has the Alien and Predator license.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Sunswipe posted:

Someone edit it into Loss.jpg.

idk

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Lanard Toys definitely has the Alien and Predator license.

Any idea if they’re going to make any Predators in scale with the Aliens? All I’ve seen Predator-wise is that 10” thing they put out. Also, if they have the license why does it seem like they’re playing coy with the box art and descriptions? Wouldn’t they at least use the movie logo? It feels like a semi-sanctioned bootleg sort of thing.

E: Not sure if you or anyone else knows but any chance of a power loader? And a generic version of Ripley? That’s kinda all I really want at the moment.

Bulgaroctonus fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jun 12, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1402080436894027777

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

It's a shame that the GBS The Thing thread got shitposted to death by SMG or someone like that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Hate to say it but kill it with fire.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I liked The Predator. Fight me.

I just saw it's on TV right now and that reminded me of it. The Rotten Tomatoes rating it shows is 33%. Which I would expect from a Predator movie. I think it was the cast that sold me. Plus, I'm super lenient with movies because I find enjoyment with almost all that I watch. There's only a handful of movies that I just had to stop watching.

I finally saw it last week after just not bothering due to how bad the synopsis was and it was surprisingly watchable. It reminded me of Batman Returns: kinda bad in terms of being a traditional Batman/Predator film but weird enough to be interesting as its own thing. I have no idea why Shane Black decided to make ‘Predator vs The Dream Team’ but it was such an refreshingly odd and unexpected choice that I kinda respect. The final act was the least interesting but I did love the Pred near enough saying “okay fuckos, I’m gonna give you a head start then you’re all hosed”. People were dying so fast I didn’t even catch what happened to the CIA shithead.

Is that story about wanting Ripley and Newt in the pod at the end true? Because I feel like that would have been hilarious and much better than what we did get.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Sentinel Red posted:

Batman Returns: kinda bad

:chloe:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Batman Returns is a Batman movie with the Tim Burton knob turned past 11. Also Bats just straight up yeeting folks got the old comics nerds all screeching "BaTmAn DoEsN't KiLl!"

I love it.

Also an nice stealth Christmas movie.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Don’t be disingenuous - quote the entire sentence. Cherry picking a couple of words devoid of their context is Shithead 101.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

MrMojok posted:

I know this RPG is know for being extremely deadly for PCs, in terms of contact with the aliens. How does the USCMC fare?

I know this is from a couple pages ago but in my experience they do just well enough to get my players feeling cocky and then they end up getting bodied. I run Alien one-shots on the off weeks when I don't feel like running 5e and although it always ends in a sort of "no-win" scenario because it's an Alien one-shot (duh), the ones I've run where they are explicitly a squad of Marines always involve some unforced errors after they take a couple drones out in the first act. Of course a lot of that depends on how you build the game arc out and how aggressively/accurately you play the aliens.

Also please Free League why won't you let me add the CM Operations Manual to my cart let me give you money pleeeeaaaaase

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Any idea if they’re going to make any Predators in scale with the Aliens? All I’ve seen Predator-wise is that 10” thing they put out. Also, if they have the license why does it seem like they’re playing coy with the box art and descriptions? Wouldn’t they at least use the movie logo? It feels like a semi-sanctioned bootleg sort of thing.

E: Not sure if you or anyone else knows but any chance of a power loader? And a generic version of Ripley? That’s kinda all I really want at the moment.

Not sure on in-scale Predators but they did do a power loader in one of the two-packs, it’s hilariously out of scale with the jumbo Queen though.

As for the box art and whatnot, I think it’s an intentional throwback to the old 90s Kenner packaging with big bright colors and exciting descriptions meant to appeal to kids. The Kenner stuff wasn’t exactly known for its film-accuracy.

Sentinel Red posted:

People were dying so fast I didn’t even catch what happened to the CIA shithead.

Is that story about wanting Ripley and Newt in the pod at the end true? Because I feel like that would have been hilarious and much better than what we did get.
The CIA guy accidentally blows his own head off with the shoulder cannon, it happens extremely fast because the editing is all over the place but it’s pretty drat funny once you realize what happened.

The Ripley/Newt stuff is absolutely true and was even filmed, AvPGalaxy even recently interviewed the actress who was going to play Newt.

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/website/interviews/breanna-watkins/

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

gently caress yeah, thanks random broken-English Amazon seller

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

No, I meant more that unlike the Kenner stuff were you still had explicit character names (Ripley, Vasquez, Apone, etc.,) these still use generic terms that seem intended to skirt copyright, it’s why I was wondering if they actually had the license. Either way, I’m glad these exist. I wish they were out like five years ago when my daughter still played with toys. She loves (both) Alien movies but is almost a teenager and of course doesn’t want to have action figure wars anymore.
: (

Anyway, shame about the power loader. Did it come with a fake Ripley figure? If you happen to have a pic I’d appreciate it, I haven’t been able to find one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

gently caress yeah, thanks random broken-English Amazon seller

Ha! My SO has that cap but neither of us wear hats (except when gardening) so it sits atop a human skull he got from a nursing school that was just going to throw it away. Seems appropriate.