Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I always watch them and there have been several times where the pitch vid makes or breaks whether I back because the vid helps me see what exactly I'm backing better than text and pics can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

FirstAidKite posted:

I always watch them and there have been several times where the pitch vid makes or breaks whether I back because the vid helps me see what exactly I'm backing better than text and pics can.

Can I ask what makes a good video to you?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Frozen Peach posted:

Do people actually watch Kickstarter videos? We're working on the one for my upcoming game and I'm super excited about it, but I can't help but wonder how many eyes it's going to have.

I rarely watch them. I've been watching them more often lately, just to see what other campaigns are doing, and they rarely sell me on a game. Sometimes I'll watch the how to play or preview videos, if I'm really on the fence. But I'm also the kind of person who backs a kickstarter and forgets about it until it ships. I rarely read updates. I rarely check in on the status. I just let it show up.

Clearly I'm not the target market though. Engagement is huge, getting likes and follows and retweets and what have you is super important to a successful campaign. There are people those things are reaching. I'm just not one of them.

That being said...

I'm so stoked about the video we're producing. It's turning out awesome and I can't stop watching it. I'm super excited to share it with the world. Even if that means people like me aren't going to see it.

A rule book and video describing the game play is important to me.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What I look for in a pitch video:

1. Able to summarize what the game is in a way that is descriptive and helpful, ie not just a bunch of buzzwords but actually saying what the game is.
2. Short description of the kind of gameplay it has (though not a full tutorial, that would be a separate vid), so stuff like how many players, the genre, playtime, stuff like that.
3. Keep it to the point without rambling or going in circles about the subject, preferably keep it below 6 minutes.
4. Include some basic information on who the creators are and what, if any, they've done previously (be it previous successful kickstarters or previous successfully developed games).
5. Good quality audio and video. They don't have to be movie-quality or anything along those lines and video quality doesn't even need to be great, but I at least want to be able to see whatever is going on in the video and I like being able to hear what is being said clearly and without any major white noise or echo or static.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Ropes4u posted:

A rule book and video describing the game play is important to me.

Rules are crazy important to me, as a designer. I'll often read the rules before backing something, unless I already know the game having played it or know the designer or something of the sort.

FirstAidKite posted:

4. Include some basic information on who the creators are and what, if any, they've done previously (be it previous successful kickstarters or previous successfully developed games).

This is honestly my biggest worry with the campaign. I'm new. My publisher's new. That makes it a risky back right off the bat.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Frozen Peach posted:

Do people actually watch Kickstarter videos?

Nope.

I watched the one for Broken Age back in 2012. Other than that, my eyes no longer even acknowledge there's a clickable video there on the page.

I also don't watch any other associated videos with the solitary exception of playthroughs. I do like to watch boardgames in play if I'm at all on the fence (or sometimes just because it sounds great and I like watching people play boardgames) and it doesn't seem super common to even have them, but I will also watch actual play of RPGs sometimes. (I usually drop like $10 on a PDF and have little expectation of playing the game, so I'm way less invested in those.) Otherwise, text and pictures please.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

malkav11 posted:

Nope.

I watched the one for Broken Age back in 2012. Other than that, my eyes no longer even acknowledge there's a clickable video there on the page.

I also don't watch any other associated videos with the solitary exception of playthroughs. I do like to watch boardgames in play if I'm at all on the fence (or sometimes just because it sounds great and I like watching people play boardgames) and it doesn't seem super common to even have them, but I will also watch actual play of RPGs sometimes. (I usually drop like $10 on a PDF and have little expectation of playing the game, so I'm way less invested in those.) Otherwise, text and pictures please.

Yeah... I've backed over 125 or so projects and it's been *years* since I watched a project video. Generally go straight to the rules pdf or a playthrough video from a Youtuber I recognize. I don't need to be sold on projects by videos anymore..

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Memnaelar posted:

Yeah... I've backed over 125 or so projects and it's been *years* since I watched a project video. Generally go straight to the rules pdf or a playthrough video from a Youtuber I recognize. I don't need to be sold on projects by videos anymore..

Same, I only watch them if someone in this thread says the video has some redeeming quality or it's something I'd want to see in motion. Something like the Elixir Dice Kickstarter.

Which is shipping soon, so I'm stoked.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Memnaelar posted:

:same:

If the splash graphics and/or rules don't grab me, I'm not going to be bothered by a video.

I'd only watch the video if I'm already invested, or I just need that last little bit to tide me over on my decision.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Yeah, I don't think I've ever watched a Kickstarter video except when trying to work out how to do my own.

For RPGs though, an AP stream or podcast playing the game is often a selling point.

E: Although that said, I just checked the stats on the two KSes I've done with videos and they both got a lot of video plays. Most people didn't watch the whole thing though, and those were ~3 minutes long but very low-effort. Maybe if I'd put some work in I'd have got more backers?

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 11, 2021

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Frozen Peach posted:

Do people actually watch Kickstarter videos? We're working on the one for my upcoming game and I'm super excited about it, but I can't help but wonder how many eyes it's going to have.

I rarely watch them. I've been watching them more often lately, just to see what other campaigns are doing, and they rarely sell me on a game. Sometimes I'll watch the how to play or preview videos, if I'm really on the fence. But I'm also the kind of person who backs a kickstarter and forgets about it until it ships. I rarely read updates. I rarely check in on the status. I just let it show up.

Clearly I'm not the target market though. Engagement is huge, getting likes and follows and retweets and what have you is super important to a successful campaign. There are people those things are reaching. I'm just not one of them.

That being said...

I'm so stoked about the video we're producing. It's turning out awesome and I can't stop watching it. I'm super excited to share it with the world. Even if that means people like me aren't going to see it.

Never.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I have watched one (1) kickstarter video.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I only watch videos for projects that I'm already hyped enough to back anyway. They're definitely important to some people, though.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
My own biased view is that having a good video means nothing really about either the quality of the creator's vision, nor their ability to produce & follow through on the project. I ignore them completely.

The numbers don't lie though; they are good for engagement.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Frozen Peach posted:

Do people actually watch Kickstarter videos?

I watch them for e.g. video games where seeing the game in motion is important. For tabletop project, there's nothing the video can tell me that wouldn't already be in the text description of the project.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I usually forget there even is a video.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Are you guys talking about the video up the top of the ks page?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I always watch the kickstarter videos.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I'm also in the "almost never" camp. I look for the rules and gameplay videos further down the page.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd rather see the information presented where I can consume it at my own pace. I'd 100% prefer to stare at miniatures pictures or read a preview PDF.

Video makes much more sense for non-game projects like a new kitchen gizmo, where you can "see how it works."

I haven't watched a video in years. I've clicked a few and rapidly lost interest, though.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Imagined posted:

Why did FASA make another sci-fi tank game when they already had Battletech? Just curious

Wikipedida says they tried to get the rights to Star Wars, but couldn't get it so made their own version without Blackjack and hookers. Was there ever a lore explanation of why the the Naram were human?

Looks like they threw out the old TOG, Renegade Legions and Commonwealth for very-Battletechy style empires, so I hope the lore is more interesting than presented in the Kickstarter page. I really like the old Renegade Legion novels Dammed if you do and Frost Death.

I tried playing an old copy of 1st edition Centurian but couldn't find any reference to the rules for going hull down or any type of cover system. I loved the idea of the different templates for damage depending on the weapon, but I could see how that would slow the game to a crawl.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jun 11, 2021

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I am shocked, shocked to learn that videos are not the favored method of getting information for people posting on a 20 year old BBS.

Bogieman
Nov 4, 2009

Comstar posted:

Wikipedida says they tried to get the rights to Star Wars, but couldn't get it so made their own version without Blackjack and hookers. Was there ever a lore explanation of why the the Naram were human?

Looks like they threw out the old TOG, Renegade Legions and Commonwealth for very-Battletechy style empires, so I hope the lore is more interesting than presented in the Kickstarter page. I really like the old Renegade Legion novels Dammed if you do and Frost Death.

I am a huge fan of the original RL setting and I've been pushing for years to get the license so we can redo the whole thing with some updated rules. The licensing is just in a nightmare state and with Budgie Smuggler Games announcing their "reboot" of it and doing Centurion, we decided it would probably be better to scrap the setting and rebuild something more in line with the other FASA cosmology games. Interceptor is a starfighter game, like the original, with a few similarities, but for the most part it is a completely new game inspired by the original. We've also got some ideas for Leviathan, but we need to make it through this Kickstarter first.

I probably have about 50k words of lore written, but that is because we were simultaneously doing an RPG and Interceptor. Of course 49k of that is probably unusable, but I've tried to edit lore down to stuff needed to get people fighting each other. The initial ask handed down to me was 5 factions. Then we had a sentence describing each of them (Cult of Personality, Peak capitalists, military junta, etc.), and have been expanding from there. I've also tried to link it back into the other current FASA Games publications (Earthdawn, 1879 mainly) without being beholden to them, but having plenty of easter eggs for fans. The fine line seems to be what is the right amount of backstory that makes for an interesting game setting, and what is too much. If I lived in a magical dream world, we'd have been able to afford to get a novelist on board to help bring the whole setting to life.

For Interceptor I thought that we didn't need a lore deep-dive for the Core game, perhaps I am wrong. If we got a page or two on each faction, some interesting characters, along with some fun fighting action I thought it would be enough. However, I can see where five factions fighting because "reasons" is kind of boring too.

Mostly though, I think I am just a terrible salesperson and none of this likely helps sell our game.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Frozen Peach posted:

That being said...

I almost never watch them, but I would say definitely do them because the people who want them can watch them and the people who don't can scroll by.

On a related note DO NOT RELY ON THE VIDEO TO CONVEY IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT ISN'T ALSO IN TEXT. I would never back a KS like that.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Frozen Peach posted:

Checking the dashboard for the Hard Wired Island KS: the video was played 3,158 times, 36.83% (1163 times) all the way to the end. I don't know how many of those converted into pledges, but it definitely didn't hurt.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I never watch them but I would totally put together the best one I could if I were launching a kickstarter.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Bogieman posted:

For Interceptor I thought that we didn't need a lore deep-dive for the Core game, perhaps I am wrong. If we got a page or two on each faction, some interesting characters, along with some fun fighting action I thought it would be enough. However, I can see where five factions fighting because "reasons" is kind of boring too.

My theory is that I need a reason to want to put someone's flag on my plastic space fighter. I hope you can get enough lore into the game to make me do that. If everyone's human I'd be happy to fight for the space-communists if we're fighting space-late-stage-capitalism but not if everyone's as unlikable as the 40K Imperialim. TOG always gave me the impression of evil competence, and the same reason's you can see people wanting to fly a TIE fighter or be the side with the giant mechanical AT AT's, even if the good guys are the plucky band of rebel's fighting against Ming the Merciless. I always got the impression that Ming gives good dental for his legions.

Battletech when I got into it in 2nd ed always gave me the impression that everyone was equally bad but the Federated Suns were the good guys because they always had the protagonists on their side.

What's the background tie in to Earthdawn? I thought that was a Fantasy game with deamons. Is it the far future or fast past to it?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Comstar posted:

My theory is that I need a reason to want to put someone's flag on my plastic space fighter. I hope you can get enough lore into the game to make me do that. If everyone's human I'd be happy to fight for the space-communists if we're fighting space-late-stage-capitalism but not if everyone's as unlikable as the 40K Imperialim. TOG always gave me the impression of evil competence, and the same reason's you can see people wanting to fly a TIE fighter or be the side with the giant mechanical AT AT's, even if the good guys are the plucky band of rebel's fighting against Ming the Merciless. I always got the impression that Ming gives good dental for his legions.

Battletech when I got into it in 2nd ed always gave me the impression that everyone was equally bad but the Federated Suns were the good guys because they always had the protagonists on their side.

What's the background tie in to Earthdawn? I thought that was a Fantasy game with deamons. Is it the far future or fast past to it?

Earthdawn is the prequel/sequel to Shadowrun. Renegade Legion is kind of Romans in Spaaaaaace!

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Yeah, I think the balance is don't put any unique information in the video because people like me won't watch it. Do have one, because some people will expect it.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

this is the only kickstarter video I've ever watched

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srq6ECieEg8

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I ended up dropping my Witcher pledge to PM access only after all the discussion in the thread and my own concerns. Even the base pledge is just too high without having any more details about rules and systems. I’m hoping there’s better clarity by the time the pledge manage closes. Otherwise, I see no reason I would upgrade. There aren’t enough or good enough Minis to justify it for the minis alone if the game isn’t that great.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The only videos that make sense to me are the ones that actually use the video platform as a visual medium and the info being shared is primarily visual; ie they show rather than tell.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Greg Stolze has an Indiegogo about releasing more stories about Unknown Armies if a certain price point is reached. 15 days left.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/new-stories-of-unknown-armies#/

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Doctor Zero posted:

I almost never watch them, but I would say definitely do them because the people who want them can watch them and the people who don't can scroll by.

On a related note DO NOT RELY ON THE VIDEO TO CONVEY IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT ISN'T ALSO IN TEXT. I would never back a KS like that.

This. Making a video is fine, some people like videos. But don't make information exclusive to the video, or discord/website/twitter. Everything about the project should be in the campaign description, the FAQ, or the updates. If I have to go hunting pertinent info, I am less likely to back the project.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Frozen Peach posted:

Rules are crazy important to me, as a designer. I'll often read the rules before backing something, unless I already know the game having played it or know the designer or something of the sort.

This is honestly my biggest worry with the campaign. I'm new. My publisher's new. That makes it a risky back right off the bat.

Yeah. There's a few designers who I'll back stuff from without being concerned about reading the rules first because I know that at very least whatever they put out is going to be worth $movie ticket to read, but for new to me writers/publishers I really, really want to see at least a playtest packet.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Fate Accomplice posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ-0Oh0_9so

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Our KS video premiered on Facebook today!

https://fb.watch/63JszzJbc4/

It's definitely not as good as the Root trailer though.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Haystack posted:

I am shocked, shocked to learn that videos are not the favored method of getting information for people posting on a 20 year old BBS.

I mean if the Facebook "everyone should pivot to video" scandal is any indication, it's not the favored method of getting information for a lot of people.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Tsilkani posted:

This. Making a video is fine, some people like videos. But don't make information exclusive to the video, or discord/website/twitter. Everything about the project should be in the campaign description, the FAQ, or the updates. If I have to go hunting pertinent info, I am less likely to back the project.

Actually, to expand on this with a pet peeve of mine -- don't put important information in images only. I can't remember which KS it was that did that but I was trying to Ctrl-F through their page for something and couldn't, because that info only appeared in one of their infographics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Fate Accomplice posted:

This is so amazingly over the top