Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I thought Skyrim was terrible and boring, so you're not alone.

Maybe give ELEX a try. It's a bit janky but it's a big open world with lots to discover, and fairly hardcore combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Rdr2 ruined open world games for me with its level of detail and immersion. I haven't really found anything to replace it. It was the perfect lockdown game last year.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

You don't like Skyrim, so it's a risky suggestion, but maybe Fallout: New Vegas? Especially on hardcore mode it captures that man vs nature aspect fairly well. I found the world to be really interesting and lively. Quests have consequences and seem to matter.

Also, Zelda: BOTW is a an amazing sandbox game. The story can be a bit lacking in immersion, but in terms of exploration and open world freedom it's unmatched, and there is something to see around every corner.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It occurs to me that this thread would be fantastic for helping me find comparables for my game (a free demo of which will be available next week during Steam Next Fest!), which is a build-your-own-warship arcade naval combat simulator. It's basically a straight-up spiritual sequel to Warship Gunner 2, a PS2 game from 2006, and I'm trying to figure out what other games are in this space. That would be helpful to me in terms of finding people who would want to know about my game, and potentially setting up cross-promotional opportunities.

The issues I'm running into:

- Thematically, the vast majority of naval games are very slow. In my game you can roll up on a fleet, kick your ship 90 degrees over to lay in a torpedo barrage, then zip out of range of their response. It's more like Ace Combat in how it treats military vehicles.
- Most more arcadey combat games have relatively limited character customization. Typically, you choose a "class", chassis, or hull, then choose some basic customization options (guns/ammo, mostly) from a menu, and finally apply a paint job and some decals. My game is more similar to Kerbal Space Program or other build-your-own-vehicle games in that you have extensive freedom for how your ship's bits fit together.
- ...but most build-your-own-vehicle games that I'm aware of don't have combat, or have very simplistic combat, and are mostly focused on making a vehicle that can get from point A to point B.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

All together, I can’t think of anything other than Warship Gunner, but the closest two are probably Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts and Rebel Galaxy? The former for the ship construction, latter for the high speed.

I suppose Captain Forever is similar too, albeit in a far more abstract fashion.

From the Depths, though that’s perhaps too granular in the ship design.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Infinite Space has kinda similar ship design approach to Warship Gunner, but it's not a arcade game. Maybe also the Metal Max series?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The closest in concept I guess is Besiege, which is mostly a puzzle game, but some of the puzzles are combat-centric.

Niric posted:

So, I dunno, I guess I want an open world sandboxy thing but one that doesn't feel too empty, maybe with some RPG elements but where it's more about playing in a certain way than just assigning numbers and skills, that probably has some kind of combat but isn't too arcade-y (but also isn't boring), that has an interesting world but where the backstory isn't all impenetrable Tolkein rip offs, that's realistic-ish and doesn't have monsters and magic and the like unless maybe it's done well enough to get over that? A game where it's easy to have fun just screwing around doing a bunch of diffferent things but also isn't just a bunch of disconnected minigames than feel bolted on to an entirely different game/setting. Does this even exist outside of RDR, Kingdom Come and I guess GTA? Maybe I just like cowboy/rancher simulator and a medieval peasant/knight simulator and unless there's some kind of Enlightenment-era highwayman/literati simulator or Renaissance artist/thief simulator then I'm just poo poo out of luck?

Play RDR1 if you haven't already. There's also Sleeping Dogs which is probably one of the best sandbox games out there.

As for a world with an interesting background to explore, that really depends on your tastes. Fallout New Vegas is a famous example. That Mass Effect remake recently came out. If you want fantasy but don't want a Tolkien rip off, how about Shadow of Mordor, an officially licensed Tolkien work? Or maybe Graveyard Keeper to get a view of lower down in the social hierarchy of a medieval world.

I think the top stealing games right now are Dishonored and Thief Simulator.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Niric posted:

So, I dunno, I guess I want an open world sandboxy thing but one that doesn't feel too empty, maybe with some RPG elements but where it's more about playing in a certain way than just assigning numbers and skills, that probably has some kind of combat but isn't too arcade-y (but also isn't boring), that has an interesting world but where the backstory isn't all impenetrable Tolkein rip offs, that's realistic-ish and doesn't have monsters and magic and the like unless maybe it's done well enough to get over that? A game where it's easy to have fun just screwing around doing a bunch of diffferent things but also isn't just a bunch of disconnected minigames than feel bolted on to an entirely different game/setting. Does this even exist outside of RDR, Kingdom Come and I guess GTA? Maybe I just like cowboy/rancher simulator and a medieval peasant/knight simulator and unless there's some kind of Enlightenment-era highwayman/literati simulator or Renaissance artist/thief simulator then I'm just poo poo out of luck?

Take a look at The friends of Ringo Ishikawa.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It occurs to me that this thread would be fantastic for helping me find comparables for my game (a free demo of which will be available next week during Steam Next Fest!), which is a build-your-own-warship arcade naval combat simulator. It's basically a straight-up spiritual sequel to Warship Gunner 2, a PS2 game from 2006, and I'm trying to figure out what other games are in this space. That would be helpful to me in terms of finding people who would want to know about my game, and potentially setting up cross-promotional opportunities.

The issues I'm running into:

- Thematically, the vast majority of naval games are very slow. In my game you can roll up on a fleet, kick your ship 90 degrees over to lay in a torpedo barrage, then zip out of range of their response. It's more like Ace Combat in how it treats military vehicles.
- Most more arcadey combat games have relatively limited character customization. Typically, you choose a "class", chassis, or hull, then choose some basic customization options (guns/ammo, mostly) from a menu, and finally apply a paint job and some decals. My game is more similar to Kerbal Space Program or other build-your-own-vehicle games in that you have extensive freedom for how your ship's bits fit together.
- ...but most build-your-own-vehicle games that I'm aware of don't have combat, or have very simplistic combat, and are mostly focused on making a vehicle that can get from point A to point B.

I played a game called Dieselpunk Wars that seems a lot like this. Not sure if you want to compare the two though, it's not an incredible game or anything.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Oldstench posted:

Maybe give ELEX a try. It's a bit janky but it's a big open world with lots to discover, and fairly hardcore combat.

eSporks posted:

maybe Fallout: New Vegas? Especially on hardcore mode it captures that man vs nature aspect fairly well. I found the world to be really interesting and lively. Quests have consequences and seem to matter.

Also, Zelda: BOTW is a an amazing sandbox game. The story can be a bit lacking in immersion, but in terms of exploration and open world freedom it's unmatched, and there is something to see around every corner.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Play RDR1 if you haven't already. There's also Sleeping Dogs which is probably one of the best sandbox games out there.

As for a world with an interesting background to explore, that really depends on your tastes. Fallout New Vegas is a famous example. That Mass Effect remake recently came out. If you want fantasy but don't want a Tolkien rip off, how about Shadow of Mordor, an officially licensed Tolkien work? Or maybe Graveyard Keeper to get a view of lower down in the social hierarchy of a medieval world.

I think the top stealing games right now are Dishonored and Thief Simulator.

Thanks for the suggestions all. I maybe should've been clearer about the setting: based on an assortment of games/books/films I suspect I don't really like fantasy much at all, including Tolkien, unless it's funny (Pratchett) or where the more fantastical elements are downplayed to the point where you can pretty much ignore them (seasons 1-3ish of Game of Thrones, and essentially how I played Thief 2 back in the day in that I always preferred the sneaking around manor houses bits to the magic-y bits). So Zelda and Mordor and ELEX are probably not my thing.

Sleeping dogs seems worth a shout, and maaaaaybe Fallout New Vegas, but post-apocalypse doesn't do a whole bunch for me either and my limited understanding of it makes it seem like it's dungeons and dragons except the dungeons are bomb shelters and the dragons are mutants or something, rather than, I dunno, "immersive", is that the word I'm looking for? Is possible to just have fun hanging out in the world of Fallout if you don't fancy doing a quest or exploring a vault or whatever?

Basically my problem is probably this:

Chas McGill posted:

Rdr2 ruined open world games for me with its level of detail and immersion. I haven't really found anything to replace it. It was the perfect lockdown game last year.

EDIT

Vadun posted:

Take a look at The friends of Ringo Ishikawa.

My immediate reaction was "what the gently caress is this? Side scrolling beat em up? 16 bit art? This jerk clearly didn't read my post!" because I've no particular nostalgia for side scrolling beat em ups or old console games, but this screenshot cracked me up and reading about it makes it seem pretty cool, so cheers Vadun! :)

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/19/18691106/the-friends-of-ringo-ishikawa-review-interview-yeo posted:

This is a game where you can hold down the R button to enter a more intimidating “delinquent mode,” walking slowly with hunched shoulders and hands stuffed in pockets. It’s a game where you can press right to sink further into your classroom chair. It’s a game where you can press up to sit on a bench or press down to rest your hands on a balcony for no other reason than to contemplate time passing by.

Niric fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 11, 2021

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Def avoid Elex as it’s a wonderful and strange world - it’s hard to get into with the mechanics of the actual game itself unless you’re okay with that.

I would say that New Vegas has the benefit of all of its quests are intertwined in a way most rpgs try to recreate. It’s immersive nature is more due to how you the player decides what to do and where to go based on what you’ve recently discovered.

Quest objectives change (added/taken away) depending on how you’ve handled other quests/what clothes your wearing if it’s a certain faction/even multiple ways to complete objectives.

An example, you learn of a patrol from a person at a bar in a small town - then run into that patrol and get a quest to go to another town or kill the patrol and run into another person in Vegas who would pay you for proof they died.

And you can lie and become a cannibal.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Niric posted:

Sleeping Dogs? e;fb, shoulda refreshed.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Sleeping Dogs is a TON of fun but I don't think it's really a "wander the map screwing around" kind of open world game, it's more of a drive to a mission, do the mission, drive to a new mission somewhere else kind of game. There's side stuff to do and explore but it's much less so than like a Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, RDR type thing.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Sunset Overdrive is one of my favorite open world / action games but it kind of seems like the opposite of what you are saying you like the most. The movement in that game is fantastic and the action is good too. Crazy looking world, just good fun.

Maybe Outer Worlds? I hated it but I remember being able to steal stuff

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

Niric posted:

RDR II, KCD, Cyberpunk, open world wander-y things

I recently got RDR II and played through it twice, then replayed KCD 'cause of the slow, horseback, admiring the sights immersive thing. Very similar vibe between the two games and it sounds like your tastes are very similar to mine so as well as n'thing the rec for Sleeping Dogs which is Great, I'd also suggest giving Cyberpunk another try but look at mods for it first. Yes, there's a lot of jank about it, but I've now played it through 4 or 5 times and at this point, frankly my biggest complaint is that the traffic AI is loving terrible.

You said something about "pinging between locations"; if you meant hat you're using fast travel stations, loving don't. Get a mod to change your key bindings so you can walk or First Person drive around Night City admiring the sights and listening to the radio. I *think* I'm using a variant on this one but by now I've modded my bindings file so much that honestly, I can't remember. I have L-Alt as a 'walk' modifier, a mouse button as a 'dodge' modifier, and when driving, W is basically cruise control while L-Shift is accelerate. Driving at a speed where you're A. NOT IN THIRD PERSON and B. not "OMFG LEFT LEFT LEFT I NEARLY HIT THE WALL WHY AM I ON THE PAVEMENT AND WHY ARE THOSE PEDESTRIANS SMEARED ON MY WINDSCREEN WHERE TF DID THAT CAR COME FROM" makes a loving huge difference and it's very not dissimilar to the RDR / KCD horseback feel.

Don't switch your gear around because you found something with 2 more DPS or 3 more armour so you look like a clown; choose your look, make it Legendary with Cyber Engine Tweaks then upgrade it and add mods (as in the technical ability skill) as you level up and find the crafting patterns.

I'm NOT saying Cyberpunk is DEFINITELY what you're looking for. It certainly does have its limitations and its jank and maybe you just aint gonna dig that specific immersiveness the way I do. But I've watched someone twitch-streaming themselves playing it ALL loving WRONG while refusing to listen to any suggestions on how they might be able to actually enjoy the game, and then whining about how wrong and poo poo the whole game was because it's 'just' "fast travel from job to gig to main quest thing and it's oh so empty and lifeless but I liked the bits where the game made me enjoy the scenery". Yeah, you actively avoided looking at the scenery and you didn't read mission descriptions, shards, messages or anyfuckingthing so of course you think nothing is connected to anything else, the only names you know are the ones in the main quest MAYBE. You completely missed the running threads of Max Jones, Gostavo Orta and Martha Reis, Monica Steiner, Joanna Koch, Tucker Albach, Vic Vega, MR loving BLUE EYES and maybe Morgan Blackhand and Delamain and maybe an entirely new life form that may be interconnected with yours and Johnny Silverhand's symbiotic existence and maybe the technonecromancers who may or may not be included or involved or existant in there somewhere but if they're not WTF did Garry go and who has him now?!, you didn't even realise that Goro Takemura and JOHNNY loving SILVERHAND ARE CUNTS. You whimpered when Goro died (you could have saved him) and were pissed off because the epilogue wasn't you and Johnny pulling off some Night City Legend-style heist DID YOU NOT loving NOTICE THE ENTIRE loving GAME WAS ABOUT YOU ******NOT***** HAVING SILVERHAND STUCK IN YOUR HEAD BUT INSTEAD FINALLY BEING FREE TO CHOOSE YOUR OWN PATH?!

Ahem. So I may have drunkenly segued into a slight rant (yes yes, nice meltdown etc, I know but it's been bugging me for days so gently caress you) about a semi-popular twitch streamer you've probably never heard of (I'm looking at you, JCVIM) but there's more there than you think and I personally really loving enjoy playing Cyberpunk. Also, the different playstyles (katana or mantis blade ninja (you could be the Murk Man! if you want the fastest car in the game in the most stylish of colours for free) , hacker, sniper, shotgun thug, pacifist blah blah) are very different in approach.

Basically, give it another try with mods if you have time to kill.

Voyeur fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 11, 2021

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Niric posted:

My immediate reaction was "what the gently caress is this? Side scrolling beat em up? 16 bit art? This jerk clearly didn't read my post!" because I've no particular nostalgia for side scrolling beat em ups or old console games, but this screenshot cracked me up and reading about it makes it seem pretty cool, so cheers Vadun! :)

Yeah I focused more on the ask for Immersive style games than the format they were presented in, which The Friends of Ringo Ishikawa has in spades.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Niric posted:

Is there a game that's a lot like RDR2 or Kingdom Come Deliverance? I really enjoy both, but I find myself either apathetic about or actively hostile towards pretty much all the other options I've tried when googling for similar games. Partly I think it's because I can't really define what I like so much about them. I really enjoy the open world, exploring and finding things to do and generally just idling around, role playing a bit having fun doing random stuff, but the other sandbox games I've tried have been pretty disappointing.

With Kingdom Come I really dug the setting and the slowness and nicking everything in sight brought back a lot of fond memories of Thief 2, so I figured maybe I like RPGs now having never really played them, but I found Skyrim pretty unengaging despite it being apparently one of the best things ever. The whole loading screen for buildings is annoying and I'm not big on roaming through dungeons killing skeletons and spiders and the like, and I think it's just that high fantasy/Dungeons and Dragons/only you can save mankind kinda things are not for me, but maybe I need to give it another go given its universal acclaim. Looking at RPGs I also tried out Disco Elysium but didn't have much success with it despite being a big fan of LucasArts point & click adventure games back in the day. Not entirely sure why, but the world building never quite clicked for me.

I tried Cyberpunk (knowing going in that it'd be pretty janky), and while it's not as buggy as I feared it's also just...not that good? It looks cool but the game feels utterly lifeless, just pinging between tagged map points with no real sense that there's a world going on. The missions all seem very same-y and dull and less good at sci fi guns & sneaking & hacking than Deus Ex was 20 years ago. And it seems like you pick up new and better kit every other minute (and no one gives a poo poo if you take all their stuff), so there's no real pleasure in sneaking about nicking thigs and never enough time to get attached to any particular weapon or bit of kit, because another one will be along to replace it pretty much instantly.

I really want to like Assassin's Creed Odyssey because I like the setting and I figure it would be, at the least, extremely polished, which it is, but it also seems dull as hell. Like Cyberpunk the world seems mostly empty and lifeless apart from the bits you need to go to for the missions, and the combat seemed like playing an arcade game, which is fine, but not what I was really looking for. And also like Cyberpunk you're pretty much always collecting new and better things and levelling up every few minutes so it never feels like anything is particularly earned. I also tried Valhalla just in case it was something about Odyssey that put me off, but I found that even worse- I didn't even like the card mini game which is weird, given how much time I spent having fun just gambling in RDR2 and Kingdome Come.

[Edit: the above is a pretty terrible articulation of what I like about the games I do enjoy, so it's maybe something as simple as "is a good game in its own right but also you can mostly ignore the main game mechanics/storyline and do your own, different thing for a while and have a bunch of fun doing that." Which is what I thought I'd get from Skyrim, but I'm finding the dungeons & dragons aspects/aesthetics/names/world building etc too off-putting to get very far with, though maybe I need to stick at it and it'll click?]

This is going to sound weird but give the Yakuza series a try. Yakuza 0 is a great starting point. It's more story driven than what you've listed so far but I think you might like it because it has an open world that is not extraordinarily wide (one neighborhood in Tokyo and depending on the game, on neighborhood in another Japanese city) but there's just so much stuff to do and see in those few square kilometres that the world feels very alive. also they're just... fun games with memorable characters and stories in their own right.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

All together, I can’t think of anything other than Warship Gunner, but the closest two are probably Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts and Rebel Galaxy? The former for the ship construction, latter for the high speed.

I suppose Captain Forever is similar too, albeit in a far more abstract fashion.

From the Depths, though that’s perhaps too granular in the ship design.

grate deceiver posted:

Infinite Space has kinda similar ship design approach to Warship Gunner, but it's not a arcade game. Maybe also the Metal Max series?

Play posted:

I played a game called Dieselpunk Wars that seems a lot like this. Not sure if you want to compare the two though, it's not an incredible game or anything.

SlothfulCobra posted:

The closest in concept I guess is Besiege, which is mostly a puzzle game, but some of the puzzles are combat-centric.

Thanks for the recommendations! It sounds like there really isn't much that is blatantly in the same design space. How strange.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Niric posted:

Sleeping dogs seems worth a shout, and maaaaaybe Fallout New Vegas, but post-apocalypse doesn't do a whole bunch for me either and my limited understanding of it makes it seem like it's dungeons and dragons except the dungeons are bomb shelters and the dragons are mutants or something, rather than, I dunno, "immersive", is that the word I'm looking for? Is possible to just have fun hanging out in the world of Fallout if you don't fancy doing a quest or exploring a vault or whatever?

Fallout NV is pretty good about this, turns out a post apocalyptic shithole Las Vegas isn't much different from a normal Las Vegas. The city proper feels pretty lively and has some interesting encounters to be had. It has gambling, live music, weird people, mysteries, a sense of gaining a reputation. Compared to RDR2 I'd say the prospects for just hanging out are similar. The outskirts all feel unique and have some cool little stories of their own. You can easily stumble into some rich little areas that feel real. It's easy to get invested in the characters and places you interact with.

You won't be able to completely ignore the post apocalyptic feel, but I think it's more approachable and relatable than fantasy can be. It is also an RPG, so there will be some contrivances and quests to kill bandits, but many if the quests feel compelling and have choices that effect their outcome. As far as the whole Skyrim, oblivion, fallout style RPG goes, New Vegas is generally considered to have some of the best story telling and richest environment. You also get a lot of agency in how you interact with the plot, and there are some real consequences for your choices.

If you choose the survival mode, you get a hunger and hydration meter. The game actually has some cool wilderness foraging and crafting skills, and the wastes become genuinely dangerous and something you need to plan for.

It's up to you to decide how much post apoc is too much.

EDIT: oh yea, New Vegas is definitely post apocalyptic, but all of it is also filtered through a heavily wild west lens. Howdy pardner

eSporks fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 11, 2021

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Skyrim can be made into what you want by modding it

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Thanks for the recommendations! It sounds like there really isn't much that is blatantly in the same design space. How strange.

Please continue working on your game, because I've been chasing that Warship Gunner feel for years now

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Also possibly you could check out the Assassin's Creed Origins Discovery Tour to see if you enjoy wandering around Ancient Egypt more. In the actual game, I think the story holds up for longer than in Odyssey, but don't go to Assassin's Creed for the writing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

grate deceiver posted:

Please continue working on your game, because I've been chasing that Warship Gunner feel for years now

I'm close to two years in, I'm certainly not going to stop now! If you want to follow development, I have a discord, a twitter, and a dev.log thread

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Deltasquid posted:

This is going to sound weird but give the Yakuza series a try. Yakuza 0 is a great starting point. It's more story driven than what you've listed so far but I think you might like it because it has an open world that is not extraordinarily wide (one neighborhood in Tokyo and depending on the game, on neighborhood in another Japanese city) but there's just so much stuff to do and see in those few square kilometres that the world feels very alive. also they're just... fun games with memorable characters and stories in their own right.

Yakuza is exactly what I had in mind too. It’s arcadey combat but honest the best and most interesting open world out there.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
My friend and I have been playing Satisfactory for a long time and we're looking for something else that's pretty chill in the same way, preferably with dedicated server support.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Boz0r posted:

My friend and I have been playing Satisfactory for a long time and we're looking for something else that's pretty chill in the same way, preferably with dedicated server support.

Depending on your type of chill required, Valheim is amazing for coop crafting. Not much automation though.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Recently fixed my gaming pc. I haven’t really played any of the new blow your pants off games since like 2016.

What have I been missing? I like huge open world games like Witcher or Skyrim, I enjoyed base building like Minecraft and Terraria, what is out there that I have been unable to play?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
builders:
satisfactory
dyson sphere program

open world adventuring:
red dead redemption 2
assassin's creed odyssee
death stranding

both building and adventure:
valheim
MGS V: Phantom Pain
subnautica + below zero
no man's sky

kinda outside this mold but cool and i think you'll like it:
HITMAN trilogy
teardown

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Recently fixed my gaming pc. I haven’t really played any of the new blow your pants off games since like 2016.

What have I been missing? I like huge open world games like Witcher or Skyrim, I enjoyed base building like Minecraft and Terraria, what is out there that I have been unable to play?

Horizon Zero Dawn recently got a PC release, there's also been 3 open world Assassin's Creed games since 2016 and 1 Tomb Raider.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Boz0r posted:

Anno 1800, but no dedicated server support. Both Co Op and PvP.

Grey Face
Mar 31, 2017
Is there a game like Monster Train/STS but in non-roguelike form? Or anything in that vein where I can make my own deck from the start instead of picking up pieces?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Grey Face posted:

Is there a game like Monster Train/STS but in non-roguelike form? Or anything in that vein where I can make my own deck from the start instead of picking up pieces?

Steamworld Quest Hand of Gilgamesh might fit, but be warned that it's easy.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I've been really enjoying coming back to The Legend of Bum-Bo, and it's left me wondering if there are any other roguelike-puzzle game hybids. I'd imagine it would be fine if either element was dialed up or down, but it just feels like a great mix, particularly when you're playing along with others.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Hi all, I need a modern jrpg with a meaty battle/character building system. Something like Bravely Default, but I've already played the games in that series. I want something that's pretty light on story, I hear the SaGa games are good for this but I've never tried one out. I keep hearing the Trails games getting recommended to me, but I hear they're all slow burns that lean pretty heavy into story/characters, and that's not exactly what I'm looking for out of a jrpg. The mainline Shin Megami Tensei games are great, but I've played them all. Is there a modern jrpg that's very mechanics-focused, without a ton of story?

edit: preferably on Steam, if possible.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

SoR Blaze posted:

Hi all, I need a modern jrpg with a meaty battle/character building system. Something like Bravely Default, but I've already played the games in that series. I want something that's pretty light on story, I hear the SaGa games are good for this but I've never tried one out. I keep hearing the Trails games getting recommended to me, but I hear they're all slow burns that lean pretty heavy into story/characters, and that's not exactly what I'm looking for out of a jrpg. The mainline Shin Megami Tensei games are great, but I've played them all. Is there a modern jrpg that's very mechanics-focused, without a ton of story?

Last Remnant, the SaGa games... Resonance of Fate.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

It occurs to me that this thread would be fantastic for helping me find comparables for my game (a free demo of which will be available next week during Steam Next Fest!), which is a build-your-own-warship arcade naval combat simulator.

I just ran into this: https://store.steampowered.com/app/268650/From_the_Depths/

Not sure how similar it actually is to your game because I've only just run into it, but it has naval combat and ship customization. It sounds more sim-like instead of arcadey but it might have some audience crossover.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SoR Blaze posted:

Cosmic Star Heroine

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SoR Blaze posted:

Etrian Odyssey? And if you like/played that there's loads of stuff in a similar vein

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Phigs posted:

I just ran into this: https://store.steampowered.com/app/268650/From_the_Depths/

Not sure how similar it actually is to your game because I've only just run into it, but it has naval combat and ship customization. It sounds more sim-like instead of arcadey but it might have some audience crossover.

Thanks, yeah, From the Depths is neat but also hooooly geeze is it a lot of work to make your vehicles one box at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Are there any games on Xbox that offer persistent private servers? The only one I can think of is Minecraft, but surely there are more out there.