Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

one thing i appreciate is that there are a few passives that bake old PAs into directional or non-directional inputs. stylish onslaught is just assault advance/dead approach you can use without having to slot it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
volkraptor should have stayed dead

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Any decent starting out guides? I played a lot of pso2 but I already feel out of my limit from the 3 mins I played of CBT lol

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
So maybe it's just me, but I can't buy any Primm/Tzvia weapons from the personal shop (hey, they're cheaper than retail if I need to complete a dumb combine weapons quest). You can search for them and try to buy them, but the transaction fails every time.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Nemo2342 posted:

So maybe it's just me, but I can't buy any Primm/Tzvia weapons from the personal shop (hey, they're cheaper than retail if I need to complete a dumb combine weapons quest). You can search for them and try to buy them, but the transaction fails every time.

There are weapons? Every time I search for them it says there are no postings.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

You can't categorically search for weapons, that seems busted right now. If you know the name you can just search that, but even if you select like, Weapon > Talis and have the name of the talis also, the search will fail.

As for transactions, it seems like there's phantom shop entries of things that have been bought but not..removed from the listings properly.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

kirbysuperstar posted:

You can't categorically search for weapons, that seems busted right now. If you know the name you can just search that, but even if you select like, Weapon > Talis and have the name of the talis also, the search will fail.

As for transactions, it seems like there's phantom shop entries of things that have been bought but not..removed from the listings properly.

That would make sense, since I started hitting it with the 4* unit purchases too.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is anyone online who can invite me to one of the alliances? Character name is SuperTurbo, PlayerID is AMalenczak 10505218.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Welp. Did one of the main story quests, got dumped into an instance with no objects, NPCs, or people around, relaunched, and now the game wants me to start the quest over from scratch :(

Think I'll take a break and hope there are less issues later tonight.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
The servers are absolutely horrible right now. It doesn't even load any other players anymore.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I made my robot's arms too big and now in cutscenes he can't two hand swords or hold the gun right

Lmao

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

I made my robot's arms too big and now in cutscenes he can't two hand swords or hold the gun right

Lmao

Talk to the salon lady who's next to the stall of the class/skill change NPC. You have a few days (?) of free salon time after creating a character (this includes remaking your old PSO2 one) and change anything again indefinitely until the free time runs out.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
It's 3 hours iirc

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Can I freely swap between new and old bodies? What about cast and human bodies like the base game?

Wondering if I should use my free salon time to make sure I've got all the options looking good

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
How do you change the window resolution? I can't seem to find any settings for it.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Kortel posted:

How do you change the window resolution? I can't seem to find any settings for it.

In the launcher.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Ardeem posted:

In the launcher.

Sure, that makes sense. Thanks.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Skeletome posted:

Can I freely swap between new and old bodies? What about cast and human bodies like the base game?

Wondering if I should use my free salon time to make sure I've got all the options looking good

Yes.
There's no actual body selection, you just have the NGS body underneath if you wear NGS outfits or cast parts and the pso2 body if you wear pso2 gear.

The game is kind of buggy though and sometimes won't let you switch from NGS to PSO2 gear or vice-versa outside of the salon, but once you do it once you can register a set in pso2 basewear to your saved looks and reload it any time. (And if you load a saved look with PSO2 gear you can easily swap to other PSO2 gear etc).

The same applies to human vs cast and even male/type1 vs female/type2 bodies -- there's no more gender restrictions on gear, instead equipping it just swaps you to its bodytype automatically. Though you only get one face so if you want to do that you'll want an androgynous one. And apparently if you have the "sync body sliders" setting turned off in the options you can have different sliders for each of male human, male cast, female human, female cast, plus the pso2 variants of all of those.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

wow the big sword and th elittle guns are both a lot more fun than the fists i started with

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
use the rocket launcher op

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

roger that 10 4

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

And apparently if you have the "sync body sliders" setting turned off in the options you can have different sliders for each of male human, male cast, female human, female cast, plus the pso2 variants of all of those.

Thanks for that - had figured out the saved looks trick to keep access to all outfits, but the differences in how the sliders work was throwing things off and making stuff look wonky. If that'll let PSO2 bodies/heads keep their own sliders separate that'll solve that easy.

(why are NGS deumann markings tied to your clothing colors, why are there so few makeup options for NGS, whyyyyy)

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Always had a weakness for Phantasy Star, never played this before. I know I'm asking in a thread of mostly fans but for real how grindy and predatory is this? Where's it try to extract my money?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

SuperKlaus posted:

Where's it try to extract my money?

Costumes

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

SuperKlaus posted:

Always had a weakness for Phantasy Star, never played this before. I know I'm asking in a thread of mostly fans but for real how grindy and predatory is this? Where's it try to extract my money?

Cosmetics is the big one, but also some quality of life features like skill point resets and inventory/storage expansion.

NGS is slightly better in this regard since they added a “vendor this” option to your menu that helps quickly free up space (side note this is apparently wonky right now).

If you resist the call of gambling on cosmetics, the premium set (aka monthly subscription) option isn’t a bad deal. That gives you an extra set of storage, let’s you put items up for sale on the market place, and gets you extra login rewards and income buffs.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Nemo2342 posted:

Cosmetics is the big one, but also some quality of life features like skill point resets and inventory/storage expansion.

NGS is slightly better in this regard since they added a “vendor this” option to your menu that helps quickly free up space (side note this is apparently wonky right now).

If you resist the call of gambling on cosmetics, the premium set (aka monthly subscription) option isn’t a bad deal. That gives you an extra set of storage, let’s you put items up for sale on the market place, and gets you extra login rewards and income buffs.

If you get enough Maseta (and you can potentially get a ton right now just from exploring hard to reach areas and opening red boxes) you can just but any costume/ cosmetic on the stores anyway

You can also make a tidy profit on the store if you get a good pull people want (in old PS02 I just made 105,000,000 for a pink Cardigan I thought was tacky, so now I pretty much have dressup money forever)

Honestly it's one of the least freemium schemes I've seen, and it's honestly much better in New Genesis

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 13, 2021

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Lag in the overworld is pretty drat horrible. It otherwise feels really responsive. Wish our equipment was better though,

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Edit - double post

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Nick Buntline posted:

(why are NGS deumann markings tied to your clothing colors, why are there so few makeup options for NGS, whyyyyy)

You can have lip gloss in any colour you want, so long as it's pink.

Once the lag and the other launch bugs are dealt with this is going to be pretty great even if we don't see a ton of new and updated cosmetics for a while. Combat and traversal already feel really drat good when it's all working as intended and I'm not waiting 10-15 seconds for damage numbers to appear, but at least I'm not getting random disconnects like I used to see all the time in vanilla PSO2, so that's something. I'm more concerned about the couple freezes I've had after long sessions that have forced me to tab out and exit from Windows, not sure if that's common or not.

A rough launch, but still not remotely as bad as last year.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I've found my rhythm with my multi weapon machine/ talis on my Techter/ Gunner

Shooting guns, hit you in the face with techniques, zooming in and Shiftaing/ healing the party

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

can you make multi weapons from the gear you can carry over from pso2, or do i have a long grind ahead of me

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Splash Attack posted:

can you make multi weapons from the gear you can carry over from pso2, or do i have a long grind ahead of me

Multi-weapon requires NGS gear (that are specifically weapons of the same series), so no multi-weapon for pso2 classic gear.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I think this game has a lot of potential. Running around the overworld is fun and while the combat is far from perfect it's enjoyable. The core concept of getting quests from the city and running in the vast wilderness to level up is appealing.

Unfortunately beside the launch connection issues and the lack of content there are some hurdles the game has:

- The story. Didn't this series used to be known for having some of the most engaging stories of it's time? Like what happened? This is F-level plot garbage. I'm not asking for Final Fantasy XIV quality of story but something somewhat engaging would be nice. I mean Aina doesn't even seem all that troubled learning that her father died... Great writing.

- The inventory system and just the gist of the looting and leveling in the game is too convoluted.

- Odd UI decisions. The way chat works just doesn't seem intuitive. Quest markets don't point to the destination but just lead you piece by piece. And you can only have one quest market at a time for your quests. And don't get me started how annoying it is that you have to open the menu to open the map.

EDIT -

7c Nickel posted:

You can go straight to the map by holding down start.

Well I'm an idiot.

All in all the game seems like one I'll be revisiting once I get to level 20. Excited to see how the game develops once the ball gets rolling.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jun 13, 2021

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Am I ever glad I played the closed beta so that I know how fun this game is when it runs properly. If my first experience was with all of the lag and desync issues I probably wouldn't have played for another year again like what I did after hearing about PSO2's launch issues. I hope they get it fixed soon.

7c Nickel posted:

Oh cool, that's super useful, thanks. I'm trying to play with a chatpad on my controller but I think it's giving me hand cramps since I can't wrap my fingers all the way around the grips with it on. There's not much advantage to having sub-palette hotkeys right now so with a map shortcut I can just remove the thing altogether.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

punk rebel ecks posted:

- The story. Didn't this series used to be known for having some of the most engaging stories of it's time? Like what happened? This is F-level plot garbage. I'm not asking for Final Fantasy XIV quality of story but something somewhat engaging would be nice. I mean Aina doesn't even seem all that troubled learning that her father died... Great writing.

ahahahaha

you're thinking of the original Phantasy Star games. Much like Warcraft transitioning to WoW, any semblance of good storytelling completely fell apart when combined with a grindy theme park.

Now, to be fair, PSO, PSU and PSO2 were way ahead of their peers in this department, but PSO2 started in 2011 and it's sensibilities didnt change after that, so FFXIV and SW:TOR hadn't pushed the envelope as to what can be done yet.

let's be real though, FFXIV and TOR both also have mostly garbage storylines that only get a pass for awarding some sad sense of narrative to the dead air MMO.

as for PSO, you can expect extremely saccharine power of friendship stories with rarely a downer moment all the way to end of the game's life, like the most wholesome anime you can think of. that will definitely never change.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

PSO1’s story was good, I’ll die on that hill.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Rockstar Massacre posted:

let's be real though, FFXIV and TOR both also have mostly garbage storylines that only get a pass for awarding some sad sense of narrative to the dead air MMO.

No, I don't think that's true OP

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Rockstar Massacre posted:

That's not real...!

Anyway I played for a bit with my sword wielding robot lady who constantly looks shell-shocked but I'm gonna wait for the servers to calm down before playing any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

PSO1’s story was good, I’ll die on that hill.

The quests were alright and probably helped by the lack of voice acting, but I really liked the way the main plot was told with the data pods and how Rico's log entries got creepier the deeper you went. The reveal that the ruins were really a spaceship, and then the additional reveal that the spaceship was imprisoning something was really cool. I also liked how in Episode II the data pods started transitioning from log entries to live transmissions in the lab. It felt kind of like System Shock and PSO2 never really had that feeling of dread as you learn more about the conspiracy.