Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

kirbysuperstar posted:

https://pso2.com/news/announcements/steamlinkaccounts

Don't gently caress this up and create a new account when you launch the Steam version, it's irreversible.

quote:

ATTENTION: Do not start Phantasy Star Online 2 on a new platform until you fully understand this account-linking process. Creating a character/setting up a Player ID on a new platform is irreversible and you will not be able to link your account after the fact.
[...]
:frogsiren:*Entering the account-linking code is only possible during the first-time log-in when using the new platform.:frogsiren:

**The same account-linking code cannot be used more than twice.

***If the first account-linking code is not used, and a new one is issued, only the newest account-linking code will be active.

****If a user inputs the account-linking code incorrectly, 10 times in a row, after the 10th time the user will not be able to link accounts until 24 hours have passed. This measure is for the safety of your account.

Previous Thread

Global server: Ship 2
Discord Server: NolVac

Official Website
Benchmark and Character Creator demo
Steam store page, Epic Games Store page Also available on Xbox One

Useful Fansite URLs
Bumped.org Phantasy Star Fan Blog
Arks-layer supplies a 3rd-party launcher alternative, which helps with a few things like shader tweaks or deleting the profanity filter for you.
Visiphone database Visiphone's New Genesis section because that's not the default for the website yet.
PSO2:NGS Swiki the Japanese wiki site for NGS, likely the place with the most data gathered in one place, but sometimes can be hard to parse when ran through google translate due to semi-frequent use of slang and portmanteaus that throw machine translation for a loop. (also this series's frequent use of alphabet soup names doesn't help either)

Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis is a reboot of PSO2 that sweeps pretty much everything from the last 9 years under the rug. It's an Online Multiplayer Action RPG that can be best summed up as Diablo May Cry in Space, this latest interation on the systems brings the gameplay from maps either procedurally generated or manually crafted from tilesets to an open-world style map, with instances that can support from 4 to 32 players.

At character creation, you will be prompted what race and "body type" you want to start as, however this has zero bearing on chracter stats, and you can change literally everything about your character, including body type, whenever you please.

Classes:
After you create your character, you can change your class anytime you are in the lobby at the class counter for no charge.

Hunter :hist101:
Weapons: Swords, Partisans, and Wired Lances
Playstyle: lots of blocking, and making stuff attack you. Great if you like large and slow weapons, long pointy sticks, or grapple moves

Ranger :hellyeah:
Weapons: Assault Rifles and Launchers
Playstyle: Mid to long range combat, as well as applying debuffs to make things easier to beat up.

Force :science:
Weapons: Rods and Talis
Playstyle: Action Wizard

Fighter :black101:
Weapons: Twin Daggers, Doublesabers, & Knuckles
Playstyle: Danger Zone melee assassin

Gunner :blastu:
Weapons: Twin Machineguns and Rifles
Playstyle: Close range guns, also building combos to deal massive damage

Techter :flame:
Weapons: Wands and Talis
Playstyle: Buffs, Bonks, and Techs

Braver :japan:
Weapons: Katanas and Bows
Playstyle: Parrying powerhouse katanas and dodgy counter bow

Bouncer :c00l:
Weapons: Soaring Blades and Jet Boots
Playstyle: Deals damage while making targets more susceptible to physical and elemental downs/stuns

Waker :shittydog:
Weapons: Harmonizers
Playstyle: attacks summon familiars that deal the damage, sort-of like an element-free version of force.

Slayer :rock:
Weapon: Gunblade.
Playstyle: Releasing in April of 2023

Early Game Tips:
Need a higher Battle Point ranking to progress? Upgrade your gear at the item lab! Jam those spare weapons and units into the gear you are currently using (don't forget armor!)

Content Roadmap:
https://pso2.com/players/about/roadmap/future/

NextTime000 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
2nd Post: PSO2-classic blurb

This is all just copy-pasted from the previous thread,

Races:
Human :bahgawd:
The generic race with nothing special about them

Newman :anime:
Basically space-elves

CASTs :awesomelon:
Robots and/or Cyborgs

Dewman :devil:
Space edgelords with horns and different colored eyes

There's some small modifiers on your base stats depending on race and gender, but nothing that will hold you back in the long run. Follow your dreams.

Classes:
After you create your character, you can change your class anytime you are in the lobby at the class counter for no charge.

Hunter :hist101:
Weapons: Swords, Partisans, and Wired Lances
Playstyle: lots of blocking, and making stuff attack you. Great if you like large and slow weapons, long pointy sticks, or grapple moves
Ideal Subclasses:
Preferred Mags: S-atk/MEL (Fighter or Etoile sub), DEX (alternative option for Phantom sub only)

Ranger :hellyeah:
Weapons: Assault Rifles and Launchers
Playstyle: Mid to long range combat, as well as applying debuffs to make things easier to beat up. Rangers try not to reposition unless they have to.
Ideal Subclasses:
Preferred Mag: R-atk/RNG (Hunter or Etoile sub), DEX (alternative option for Phantom sub only)

Force :science:
Weapons: Rods and Talis
Playstyle: Action Wizard
Ideal Subclasses:
Preferred Mag: T-atk/TEC

Braver :japan:
Weapons: Katanas and Bows
Playstyle: Katanas allow you to parry like a Hunter, while Bows give you lots of range and utility like a Ranger weapon. You can even take up one weapon and ignore the other if you want!
Ideal Subclasses:
Preferred Mag: DEX

Bouncer :c00l:
Weapons: Soaring Blades and Jet Boots
Playstyle: Dual blades are death by ten thousand cuts, while Jet boots can Rider Kick while laying down some support techs. Bouncer has some second-string buff-based support qualities; they're nice to have, but nobody's really going to miss them if you slack off on them.
Ideal Subclasses:
Preferred Mag: DEX or S-atk/MEL

Summoner :shittydog:
Weapons: Tacts, but more importantly the Pets they command
Playstyle: Make a little critter do the dirty work for you, but you still gotta tell it what to do.
Ideal Subclasses:
Preferred Mags: All mags are welcome here

These classes are not available from character creation, but you can change to them as soon as you reach the lobby:

Fighter :black101:
Weapons: Twin Daggers, Doublesabers, & Knuckles
Playstyle: Danger Zone melee assassin
Ideal Subclasses:
Preferred Mag: S-atk/MEL

Gunner :blastu:
Weapons: Twin Machineguns and Rifles
Playstyle: Close range guns, also building combos to deal massive damage
Ideal Subclasses:
Preferred Mag: R-atk/RNG

Techter :flame:
Weapons: Wands and Talis
Playstyle: Buffs, Bonks, and Techs
Ideal Subclasses:
Preferred Mag: T-atk/TEC, S-atk/MEL, or DEX when using Phantom as a subclass

Scion Classes are new classes they've been adding since Episode 5, they cannot use a subclass, but they do get to use completely different movesets for their weapons!

To unlock Scion classes, you have to reach level 75 in any 2 classes.

Hero :madmax:
Weapons: Swords, Twin Machineguns, and Talis
Playstyle: Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series
Preferred Mag: One of S-atk/MEL, R-atk/RNG, or T-atk/TEC

Phantom :spooky:
Weapons: Rods, Rifles, and Katanas
Playstyle: Attacking enemies applies markers to them, once you've built enough markers, you can detonate them for extra damage
Preferred Mag: DEX
When used as a subclass, makes every class Dex Mag compatible!

Étoile :france:
Weapons: Doublesabers, Wands, and Dual Blades
Playstyle: Space Paladin / Royal Guard
Using Étoile as a subclass allows you to use a 200 single-atk mag for any class!

Luster :krad:
Weapon: Gunblade.
Playstyle: All of the Above, and has a combo counter that gives you bonuses as it goes up!
When used as a subclass, gives you the "Voltage" combo counter and buffs Gunblades to be on-par with the rest of the main class's arsenal!

PSO2-Classic Quick beginners guide:

Make your character
Do the tutorial
Run all of the Training quests to get a brief overview of the other classes, you might like something other than your first choice!
Play Arks Quests and Free Field explorations to unlock more areas
Do Koffie's client orders
The new Arks Mission system should help guide you too

Reach level 75 on your first class
Grind and Equip the 12★ units the Title girl gives you for reaching level 75
Get your subclass to level 75
Try out Hero, Phantom, Etoile and Luster; then probably play those instead because they don't use subclasses

Important Media:
remember this stuff when you go casing down a specific drop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlR-jQXgVuI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLyC-B3Wpi4

NextTime000 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 8, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RIP PSO2, played that poo poo for 8 years. Welcome New Genesis. :getin:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

PSO2 aten't dead!

it's just on life support

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
from last thread:

eonwe posted:

I assume they'll put this on Steam before launch at some point?

PSO2 has been on steam since August 2020: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1056640/Phantasy_Star_Online_2/

But for some godawful reason, to link your accounts between the Steam version and the MS Store or EGS versions (if you previously played on one of those and want to keep your progress), you need both 70+gb copies installed at once. You click a button in one client and it generates a temporary code you have to put into the new client within 15 minutes.

NGS is kind of a standalone game from original PSO2 but also kind of linked together with it -- you can play one without installing the other, but they'll share the same launcher and steam page. If you already have PSO2 installed you'll download a big patch to get NGS. If someone new downloads NGS after the 9th, original PSO2 will be an optional additional download.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The new age of HD horny is nearly here.

"Gods be operative."

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

have to wait months until i can have soaring blades back

:smith:

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Isn't 20 a really low level cap?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Boba Pearl posted:

Isn't 20 a really low level cap?

And then we have to wait around 6 months for a level cap increase to 35? That is very weird.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

During the beta it seemed like your combat strength was more important than your level so it might make sense if there's more emphasis on improving and optimizing your gear than grinding out experience points.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I'm just hoping mining nodes respawn in live. I really wasn't sure I was going to hit the milestone for gearscore.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

from last thread:
PSO2 has been on steam since August 2020: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1056640/Phantasy_Star_Online_2/

But for some godawful reason, to link your accounts between the Steam version and the MS Store or EGS versions (if you previously played on one of those and want to keep your progress), you need both 70+gb copies installed at once. You click a button in one client and it generates a temporary code you have to put into the new client within 15 minutes.

NGS is kind of a standalone game from original PSO2 but also kind of linked together with it -- you can play one without installing the other, but they'll share the same launcher and steam page. If you already have PSO2 installed you'll download a big patch to get NGS. If someone new downloads NGS after the 9th, original PSO2 will be an optional additional download.

ah okay so if I just download PSO2 now it'll update and get the new poo poo?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I can't believe the XCX (inspired) MMO is real.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

eonwe posted:

The update doesn't seem to be out just yet, but getting a head start on PSO2 regular will help.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

eonwe posted:

That's the idea. The 30ish gb update to NGS should release sometime tomorrow, and then the servers will come back online the day afterwards -- 1am PDT on the 9th.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Does your PSO2 guy migrate into NG or do you have to make a new one?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

fadam posted:

You can take a teleporter back and forth between games.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

fadam posted:

Yeah your character carries over

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ardeem posted:

I'm just hoping mining nodes respawn in live. I really wasn't sure I was going to hit the milestone for gearscore.

They're 24 hour respawn IIRC

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
also I'm glad gender has been all but eradicated in the post-photon era

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Yeah but what about race

sometimes I don't like newman ears.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Race restrictions are also gone.
The NGS character has you pick a race but that just determines which of the character presets it shows to you. Any character can use newman ears, deuman horns, CAST parts, or any combination of those things.

And i believe if you bring a PSO2 character into NGS you'll get the option to redo character creation for free.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 8, 2021

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Lord help me I'm gonna make another jetboot space twink.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Argas posted:

Yeah but what about race

sometimes I don't like newman ears.

7c Nickel posted:

The new age of HD horny is nearly here.

"Gods be operative."

I actually created this character with the intent of demoing that the restrictions on race and gender had been greatly relaxed for NGS.

On paper this might be a Male Human, but their character creation data is made up of a Male Human head, Numan ears, Deuman eyes/horn/tattoos, a Female Cast body with masculine proportions, a giant codpiece made with the freeform accessory system, and whatever combination of animations you prefer. Don't be afraid to go nuts.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
Legit very excited for this. I definitely enjoyed the beta, and really had fun with the new chargen options (even if they're really awkward at first). Definitely enjoyed a lot of the class changes to the point where I feel I wanna play most of them, though I am still really hoping we get Etoile back in some way.
I need my over the top starry aesthetics, please

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I stopped being lazy and finished up the Episode 6 story on Saturday, so I guess I am ready for NGS. May its systems make more sense than PSO2s did.

Morshu
Sep 30, 2009

Attack monkey! Monkey attack!
Do we know yet how much the story from PSO2 plays into this, or is this basically a completely fresh start with no relation to it?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Well there's a 1000 year timeskip so i doubt there'll be much connection

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Hey, Phaleg and Risa could still be around, but it'll probably be a while before the PCs are high enough level to be interesting for them to fight.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

7c Nickel posted:

I actually created this character with the intent of demoing that the restrictions on race and gender had been greatly relaxed for NGS.

On paper this might be a Male Human, but their character creation data is made up of a Male Human head, Numan ears, Deuman eyes/horn/tattoos, a Female Cast body with masculine proportions, a giant codpiece made with the freeform accessory system, and whatever combination of animations you prefer. Don't be afraid to go nuts.

how much of this can you mess around with on an established character in NGS?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

also i greatly appreciate the thread title

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

how much of this can you mess around with on an established character in NGS?

99%

I think somewhere it will still keep a record of what your initial choice was, but otherwise you're free to change as long as you have salon passes.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, with no Braver and Etoille, what am I going to play as when I log into my character? Like what will I be? Those are my 2 highest leveled classes. :saddowns:

Hopefully the gear system is less complicated than OG PSO2, because all the arcane rolls/upgrades/deconstructing/fusing stuff was super opaque and I never really understood it.

I mostly just ran towards the enemy and mashed buttons until things died and tried not to die myself, for 80 levels across a few classes. :v:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

You're going to start with one level in all the available classes, just like everybody else. Just with some shiny gear you might not be able to equip yet. Affixes drop as items now, and you need multiple copies to increase the odds of getting them onto the items you want.

Fusing still sort of exists in that you can take two weapons in the same series and smash them together so you can use abilities from both of them without having to switch weapons.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
The item upgrade mechanics are simplified a lot from classic and don't have the risk of accidentally blowing up upgrades you've already earned any more.

• Item enhancement (grinding) is still the same -- feed your weapons fodder items to increase their level
  • Limit break is similar -- raise the grind cap with meseta and harvested ore
  • Potentials -- now separate from limit breaks, but also are unlocked with meseta and ore
  • Affixes are the biggest change -- affixes now come in the form of Ability Capsules; each capsule you use adds a +N% chance to successfully affix that ability, up to 10 capsules for a chance of +10*N%; if you successfully affix an ability, it'll have a 100% chance to carry over the next time you affix the item
  • Some items will have a "Prefix Ability" that's rolled when the item drops; it doesn't take up an affix slot, but also can't be changed or transferred to another item
  • Multi-weapon is new -- put two weapons of the same series together so you can use both sets of photon arts and weapon actions without changing palettes

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
I really hope that PSO2 is an optional download. This is going to be annoying enough to download without the tweaker being updated for New Genesis, and I don't think I've linked my steam account yet so I have to deal with the garbage windows store.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Worth noting that the number of slots that exist on your weapon is separate from the number of affixes actually on your weapon. You can never lose slots, just maybe gently caress up and have one of them temporarily empty.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Do we know how much content there will be? I know it is one big region and the level cap is 20, but how long will it take to get to the cap, and how much is there to do afterwards?

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Well there's a 1000 year timeskip so i doubt there'll be much connection
I mean wasn't Phantasy Star 4 subtitled "The End of the Millennium" and that tied itself to the other games before it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm really torn between Techter Wand, Machine Gun Gunner or Twin Blade / Knuckles fighter :<