Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

If this mysterious description just meant 30% more boob jokes, I'd be 130% into it

It still ends with the mc not getting an puff puff though. We have a comedy staple to maintain.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

BisterdDave posted:

While the classic midi music plays in the background

Would it be too much to ask for more than one overworld theme because I went crazy in 11 listening to the same track on a minute loop for 90 hours.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Judge Tesla posted:

Would it be too much to ask for more than one overworld theme because I went crazy in 11 listening to the same track on a minute loop for 90 hours.

Character specific themes like in DQ4 should be standard tbh.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Judge Tesla posted:

How about a 2 minute overworld theme you only hear the first 5 seconds of because it resets after every battle?

I’m glad DQ and FF sorted this out by the time the SNES came out. How do you feel about battle music continuing where it left off too? Seemed to work alright in FFXIV. I think DQ1 would be a bit more bearable without the entire orchestra breaking out every time you run into a blue slime. In the remakes there’s this long awkward silence as the battle interface draws in before the music goes crazy too.

The gold standard for me is FFVIIR. Hearing the slow, ominous reactor music transition seamlessly into the high tempo battle version and back is so enjoyable to listen to. Having unique battle music for every area and boss is ridiculously cool. I remember Mother 3 having 50 battle themes out of the 250 total tracks.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

That loving Sned posted:

The gold standard for me is FFVIIR. Hearing the slow, ominous reactor music transition seamlessly into the high tempo battle version and back is so enjoyable to listen to. Having unique battle music for every area and boss is ridiculously cool. I remember Mother 3 having 50 battle themes out of the 250 total tracks.

Yeah, this is one of the reasons I don't really like Dragon Quest's music, there's just so little variety and variation, I would go so far as to call it low effort, grand orchestras aside.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
DQ’s soundtrack tends to waver between simple melodies with no satisfying climax, washed out battle themes with no heft, and tunes that try to pass for jaunty, but ultimately come off like something you’d hear in the build/buy menu from The Sims, a cartoonish, jouncing fluff that grates as opposed to invigorates.

VIII’s world theme was real good though.

I’m saying burn it down and start over.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Once again, The World Ends With You is the only game to do it right, which is having seven different 'overworld' songs and just picking one at random whenever you exit a shop/fight. Also thirteen battle themes picked equally at random.
(Mostly random? I think some songs are more likely depending on what chapter you're in, but it's still shuffled)

Also you can pick any song as the menu theme.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Breath of Fire changed the overworld music at least once per game up until like 3 or 4.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

This is my main worry with Dragon Quest 12, the so-called adult one, are we really going to have the same handful of tracks that have been in every previous game with maybe a handful of new but mostly unremarkable songs again?

God help us if we get a MIDI soundtrack on its initial release.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Not a jRPG, but World of Warcraft handles overworld audio by having a constant "ambient" layer in the background for each zone, plus 2 (or more) music tracks each that play sequentially with a 10-minute pause in between, depending upon the area your character is currently located. The BGM is often shared between the zones, where thematically appropriate. When your character enters a different zone or area within a zone that has a music change, there's a subtle fade-out/in so it's not jarring. I think the ambience changes too, depending on the area, but I'm not sure. There are audio options for everything, including disabling the ambient layer and removing the 10-minute BGM wait so that the music tracks will loop. There's no battle theme, since it's an ARPG at heart with no separate battle mode, but sometimes there are unique boss tracks in the dungeons/raids. A lot of people play without music (or sound altogether), but I think Blizzard's audio team has consistently done a great job over the years and it's part of the immersion.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

More of a jrpg, final fantasy 14 has music for each zone, with day/night versions where the night version is chill but similar

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Shugojin posted:

More of a jrpg, final fantasy 14 has music for each zone, with day/night versions where the night version is chill but similar

xenoblade chronicles also does this

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Finally, last night, after 15 years, I finally took the time to get the best ending to DQ8.

I seriously love this game to death and it's probably in my top 10 all-time favorites. It has its flaws like any other game but it's just so well done and it was way ahead of its time when it came out.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I would kill for a non-mobile port. I never got to finish it. I think if I sat down with it now I’d probably prefer XI, but man is it ever charming.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Commander Keene posted:

Breath of Fire changed the overworld music at least once per game up until like 3 or 4.

BoF3 had different overworld music depending on the region, iirc.

Judge Tesla posted:

This is my main worry with Dragon Quest 12, the so-called adult one, are we really going to have the same handful of tracks that have been in every previous game with maybe a handful of new but mostly unremarkable songs again?

God help us if we get a MIDI soundtrack on its initial release.

Maybe we'll get lucky and the 90 year old war crime dismissing fascist will die/retire and Soken will get to do the music for DQXII like he is for FFXVI.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Elephant Ambush posted:

Finally, last night, after 15 years, I finally took the time to get the best ending to DQ8.

I seriously love this game to death and it's probably in my top 10 all-time favorites. It has its flaws like any other game but it's just so well done and it was way ahead of its time when it came out.

Is that best ending 3ds only? I'm doing the PS2 version and am in the floating castle of doom.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

skull mask mcgee posted:

xenoblade chronicles also does this

Haven't played that but hell yeah.

Too bad Sugiyama is too drat old to do a full soundtrack but also won't just loving retire. 11 had some great stuff but the new music was lacking and the other half was just old games' music

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Mustached Demon posted:

Is that best ending 3ds only? I'm doing the PS2 version and am in the floating castle of doom.

I haven't played the 3DS version but someday I will because I want to fight the final boss with the new characters. Probably not anytime soon though.

The PS2 version only has 2 endings. There's the default ending and then there's a better ending if you complete the post game trials. I don't know if the 3DS version has more.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Original release has a Normal Ending and a Good Ending. 3DS adds to both of those endings the option to profess your love for Jessica instead of Medea.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Elephant Ambush posted:

I haven't played the 3DS version but someday I will because I want to fight the final boss with the new characters. Probably not anytime soon though.

The PS2 version only has 2 endings. There's the default ending and then there's a better ending if you complete the post game trials. I don't know if the 3DS version has more.

Thanks!! Was on the fence about doing the post game or not. I'll partake after fiesta.

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
The reveal of that hilarious new Final Fantasy spinoff made me wonder if Dragon Quest 12 being for adults means that we’ll get Akira Toriyama’s interpretation of edgy generic short haired white guy with stubble for our protagonist. Not gonna lie, I almost kinda want to see it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ran Rannerson posted:

The reveal of that hilarious new Final Fantasy spinoff made me wonder if Dragon Quest 12 being for adults means that we’ll get Akira Toriyama’s interpretation of edgy generic short haired white guy with stubble for our protagonist. Not gonna lie, I almost kinda want to see it.

Would love to have Toriyama's interpretation of Bandit Keith as a protagonist.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

We'll get a protagonist who looks like Freiza this time.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think that Yuji Horii of all people has more confidence in his work than Square Enix as a whole and will probably not fall into the 2000s-era trap of abandoning his artistic distinctiveness to chase foreign trends, but will instead just bowdlerize himself less.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yuji Horii saw the Final Fantasy Origin trailer and deleted DQXII.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Bongo Bill posted:

Original release has a Normal Ending and a Good Ending. 3DS adds to both of those endings the option to profess your love for Jessica instead of Medea.

LMFAO

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ran Rannerson posted:

He lacks stubble but otherwise the character has existed for about 30 years:
https://dragonquest.fandom.com/wiki/Hyunckel

(:lmao: that the DQ wiki uses Quest to the Stars art for the background)

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
Oh my god I watched Adventure of Dai until I burned out on watching anime in general for a while and I never thought about that… Jesus Christ Hyunkel really is That Guy…

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ran Rannerson posted:

Oh my god I watched Adventure of Dai until I burned out on watching anime in general for a while and I never thought about that… Jesus Christ Hyunkel really is That Guy…

It gets better latter on too when Hym is introduced, especially in the final arc of the series when the story just goes super Shonen at breakneck pace and he 'promotes' or whatever that change is he undergoes. I forget how far the show is from that point but I don't think it's too far off.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Playing Builders 1 at the moment, almost done with Chapter 2. I am really enjoying the game, but some of the minutiae of the mechanics are starting to grind on me. I am assuming it gets more ironed out in the sequel, but I don't like ditching something mid-way. Is there much more to be uncovered or surprised by in the rest of 1's chapters or have I pretty much seen it all, and can move on?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

Playing Builders 1 at the moment, almost done with Chapter 2. I am really enjoying the game, but some of the minutiae of the mechanics are starting to grind on me. I am assuming it gets more ironed out in the sequel, but I don't like ditching something mid-way. Is there much more to be uncovered or surprised by in the rest of 1's chapters or have I pretty much seen it all, and can move on?

Mechanically? No, not really. Story-wise? Surprisingly so. Your call as to whether or not that's worth it.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Yeah, that's DQB1's big failing: once you do Cantlin, you've *essentially* seen everything the game has to offer. You'll get more material types and whatnot but there's nothing that changes how you play the game.

The DQB2 campaign keeps unfurling full bore mechanics all the way through the very last chapter. We really mean it when we say that B2 is categorically a better game in every way than B1.

(And I'm bummed on some level that Niinou moved on from SE after DQB2. :smith: )

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
The thing I really liked in DQB1 was exploring at random and finding a set of boots that let me jump from any height without taking fall damage.

I never found those in DQB2, but then, they're way less necessary there.

DQB2 arguably goes too hard on shoehorning mechanics compared to 1. Traps being destructible is such a tremendous layer of tedium.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yuji Horii saw the Final Fantasy Origin trailer and deleted DQXII.

I’m gonna KILL the Dragonlord!

I just want DQXII to capture the excitement of experiencing the Saiyan/Frieza arcs as a 12-year-old.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

That loving Sned posted:

I’m gonna KILL the Dragonlord!

I just want DQXII to capture the excitement of experiencing the Saiyan/Frieza arcs as a 12-year-old.

A slime is going to be a party member and your best buddy and the DragonLord is going to explode them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

OhFunny posted:

A slime is going to be a party member and your best buddy and the DragonLord is going to explode them.

no!!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
A new Dragon Quest Rocket Slime with Banjo Kazooie Nuts n Bolts type castle/tank assembly would give me the excitement of watching Frieza get his rear end beat with energy I lent Goku.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Thanks! I'll grind through and finish 1, then. After that I'll probably move on to DQ3 - is there a "best" version? I was looking at the Switch version for the modern translated names and everything but if there's a better version I could try something else.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There's no definitively best version of DQ3. Super Famicom is the prettiest, GBC is the most featureful, and Switch has modern localization and easy availability. You can't go wrong with any of them, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Keeping in mind, of course, that the 2D-HD is probably coming next year and will almost certainly become the definitive version of the game.

But still, if you want to play it Right Now, the Switch version is probably the right choice.