Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Apparently there's been a big fire at the Scottish Crannog Centre. Which was a museum on the banks of Loch Tay which had a bunch of Iron Age finds from the area as well as a replica of the crannogs that people used to live on there. No idea what the damage is to the artifacts but it doesn't sound good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think I've been there, the big thatched roundhouse?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I think I've been there, the big thatched roundhouse?

Aye, on stilts in the loch

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

My landlord just decided bringing his entire family (4 kids and a wife) is perfectly okay and normal for a house inspection.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

forkboy84 posted:

Apparently there's been a big fire at the Scottish Crannog Centre. Which was a museum on the banks of Loch Tay which had a bunch of Iron Age finds from the area as well as a replica of the crannogs that people used to live on there. No idea what the damage is to the artifacts but it doesn't sound good.

Police are saying that a rowing boat was seen approaching the centre prior to the conflagration. They're asking witnesses to come forward if they have any information on a 70ft long vessel in the area with roughly 50 oars, a square sail and several round shields lined up along the bulwarks.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

She wasn't. She was parachuted into Liverpool because she was mates with Tony Blair's oval office offspring, by all accounts a terrible MP, was given a shadow cabinet position which she then quit, after which there was a vote of no confidence in her in her CLP. Then she quit to join the CUK's, quit them to join the Lib Dems and finally lost her seat and went to work for a shady PR firm.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Gonzo McFee posted:

She wasn't. She was parachuted into Liverpool because she was mates with Tony Blair's oval office offspring, by all accounts a terrible MP, was given a shadow cabinet position which she then quit, after which there was a vote of no confidence in her in her CLP. Then she quit to join the CUK's, quit them to join the Lib Dems and finally lost her seat and went to work for a shady PR firm.

Stealing this to post at the melts defending her.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

willie_dee posted:

Stealing this to post at the melts defending her.

Well, don't post "oval office" verbatim if you want to keep your twitter account.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

JoylessJester posted:

Not sure what your basing this on?

Literally all of the papers? They might not like it, editorially, but thats what is being reported.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'd also be wary of saying she left without also mentioning that she was getting antisemitic abuse and it was a factor in her leaving. It just wasn't from any Corbyn aligned faction. It was from dickheads who would be giving her antisemitic / misogynistic abuse for even existing, even if she wasn't in politics, and then she decided to blame it on Corbyn because the Grauniad broke everyone's brains.

Then because she was already getting AS abuse, she decided to interpret any criticism of her and her wet centrist nonsense as AS abuse.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 12, 2021

Nutapii
Jun 24, 2020
On the Scotland standing not kneeling point, there was a good reason for that. A black Rangers player was racially abused by a Slavia Prague player in the middle of a match that they'd kneeled at the start of. The players union then agreed that it was meaningless and counterproductive if that could happen. Unfortunately, their standing got supported by racists, so they've changed back to kneeling for the England match.

Private Speech posted:

My landlord just decided bringing his entire family (4 kids and a wife) is perfectly okay and normal for a house inspection.

This is a good illustration of the problem with all our recent half-arsed lockdowns - you can tell people to only do essential journeys and travel, but there's been absolutely no enforcement of it or the other aspects of social distancing. Could have done with messaging about "stick to one person, and make sure you absolutely positively have to do this, if you don't you're a scumbag" and issuing fines for no masks on public transport/shops like parking tickets. The educate and encourage approach has shown how many people are either thick or selfish.

Nutapii fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 12, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Could also get rid of landlords, then there is no need for inspections.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

As annoying and inherently obvious it is when people are abusing or ignoring the rules due to the selective enforcement generally lots of people did try. They just weren't able to stop doing things like travelling to work or living in cramped shared housing.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
have some pictures from the farm, goons

If you like them then you can go to the farm thread and if you have spare money you can make me plant things with it

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Even if there wasn't a lockdown I wouldn't want my landlord's whole family coming round. Or even the landlord but yeah.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Even if there wasn't a lockdown I wouldn't want my landlord's whole family coming round. Or even the landlord but yeah.

They've been hanging out in the house for 2 hours now, still are.

It is a shared house so I guess they have the right to do that (they don't live here but for HMOs the landlord has unlimited access to shared space IIRC) but also I wish they would gently caress off.

I'm paying them ~800 quid for a room they could show some courtesy.

e: I really want to take a shower but the bathrooms are really exposed to the shared space so I have to wait for them to leave.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 12, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Private Speech posted:

It is a shared house so I guess they have the right to do that (they don't live here but for HMOs the landlord has unlimited access to shared space IIRC) but also I wish they would gently caress off.
Reminds me of my last neighbour, he would rent out his house but spend all day in the garden playing obnoxiously poo poo music from a shed / annexe he had set up at the bottom of it. In the last two years we were living there he was running it as an airbnb hotel and even when he had people staying he was still out in the garden all day.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Have someone ring you and act out like it's terrible news so they feel really self conscious and embarrassed

Progress to full wailing, beating of the chest and rending your clothes if needed

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I got a lecture from the landlords wife that I can't leave the window open when I leave my room "for security reasons".

gently caress off it's not in the contract and it's my possessions at risk anyway.

e: His kids left unflushed excrement in the toilet and toilet paper strewn about, now they are watching netflix in the shared living room. Am taking a shower anyway.

ALAB obviously.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 12, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

But your beanie babies...

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

namesake posted:

As annoying and inherently obvious it is when people are abusing or ignoring the rules due to the selective enforcement generally lots of people did try. They just weren't able to stop doing things like travelling to work or living in cramped shared housing.

A lot of people did, but vast numbers didn't. Some of them didn't give a poo poo, others weren't able to because of work or other responsibilities. Enforcement seemed to be limited to shaming a few ramblers because they'd driven to some countryside beauty spot rather than go for a walk from the front door down Rochdale high street, and there was virtually no support for people in precarious employment living in private rentals. So you end up in the worst possible situation where you still have people mixing enough to maintain the pandemic while well-intentioned people trying to do their best uselessly hide in their houses and go stir-crazy because that's what they've been told they need to do. In reality, you just end up with spiralling mental health issues while doing very little to meaningfully stop the spread of covid. You can either go full zero exceptions lockdown for a few months and put the resources in place to make sure that happens, or you can ignore it and let the virus run rampant while keeping everything open and acknowledge a bunch of people will die. There are arguments for and against both, but they're at least distinct strategies on how to deal with the pandemic. We managed the most perfectly poo poo non-compromise between the two, where we shut everything and asked everyone very nicely to stay indoors, but did it in a way that meant it would never create the hard firebreak more authoritarian countries achieved, and we absolutely destroyed a bunch of people's social lives and mental health for a year and a half (so far) as a result, and we still had one of the highest death tolls in the world. So what, exactly, was the point? If we were going to have more civilian casualties than WW2 anyway we might as well have at least been able to have a pint with our mates while it happened, rather than sitting at home stewing.

Private Speech posted:

I got a lecture from the landlords wife that I can't leave the window open when I leave my room "for security reasons".

gently caress off it's not in the contract and it's my possessions at risk anyway.

ime landlords almost always don't really know most of the legalities of renting, assume their tenants don't know their rights, or probably more often both. They get scared very fast if they think you know your stuff. I wrote an angry email to my letting agents a while back after they booked an electrician to come do PAT testing right in the middle of the pandemic without consulting me, saying absolutely loving not, we would not be allowing access, and in future we insist that they contact us in advance to arrange a mutually agreeable date and time in future. They emailed back acting all aggrieved but they didn't send the guy and I haven't heard from them in months about anything, which suits me perfectly.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 12, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Also see:

15th April 2005:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2005/apr/15/highereducation.uk

quote:

It's not a great time to be Jewish at university, says Luciana Berger. Especially if you have a senior position in the National Union of Students
Luciana Berger
Fri 15 Apr 2005 09.32 BST
Last week I resigned from my position as a National Executive Committee member, because of a continued apathy within the National Union of Students to Jewish student suffering. In the words of a report distributed by NUS: "Anti-semitism is a very light sleeper indeed."

etc

followed 4 months later by:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2005/sep/20/studentpolitics.students

quote:

NUS cleared of anti-semitism claims
Polly Curtis, education correspondent
Tue 20 Sep 2005 13.02 BST
The National Union of Students (NUS) was today cleared of failing to tackle anti-semitism against its members, but criticised for not having rigorous complaints procedures in place and reacting too slowly to allegations.

The judgment came in the report of an independent inquiry which was commissioned in the wake of the resignation of three Jewish students from the union's national executive and steering committee at their conference in the spring.

In a dramatic resignation speech, Luciana Berger, a national executive member and Union of Jewish Students (UJS) activist, accused the union of "apathy" towards anti-semitism. By the end of the conference last year the union stood accused of failing to immediately condemn and remove anti-Jewish leaflets from the conference, of failings following alleged anti-semitic remarks by a member of the national executive and for not providing Kosher food at the conference.

etc

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Private Speech posted:

I'm paying them ~800 quid for a room they could show some courtesy.

e: I really want to take a shower but the bathrooms are really exposed to the shared space so I have to wait for them to leave.

Have you considered dropping an absolutely horrific fart?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Also my housemates are mostly from rural India where apparently landlords can do whatever they want so they act incredibly subservient like they were talking to their bosses boss, up to and including serving on his kids.

Well that and they are probably worried about getting deported and having their lives and careers ruined if they get evicted. And yes I know that's not how the law works here especially with the ban on evictions but I'm not about to argue with them over it.

Seriously they are terrified of the landlord. I've never been much for eat the etc. jokes but you know what I can see it now. What a relaxing weekend.

e: It's been more than 4 hours now. I think I'm going to ask them how long they are planning to be here.

VVVVV

The kids shut themselves in the living room and are watching netflix on the telly, the landlord and his wife are just hanging about discussing the state of the house and how great it looks and whatever the poo poo, also visited all the rooms.

I think it's just a weekend outing for them or something.

I also liked how his wife went "I laughed when I saw what his room (i.e. my room) looks like". gently caress you.

It's pretty ridiculous that a group of 4 medical professionals, an engineer and a TV script writer have to share two bathrooms and one washing machine and that this is perfectly fine and normal and expected and something we pay ~4000 pounds a month for. The UK housing market is broken beyond belief.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 12, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
What the gently caress are they doing exactly, just chilling?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Private Speech posted:

Also my housemates are mostly from rural India where apparently landlords can do whatever they want so they act incredibly subservient like they were talking to their bosses boss, up to and including serving on his kids.

Well that and they are probably worried about getting deported and having their lives and careers ruined if they get evicted. And yes I know that's not how the law works here especially with the ban on evictions but I'm not about to argue with them over it.

Seriously they are terrified of the landlord. I've never been much for eat the etc. jokes but you know what I can see it now. What a relaxing weekend.

e: It's been more than 4 hours now. I think I'm going to ask them how long they are planning to be here.

VVVVV

The kids shut themselves in the living room and are watching netflix on the telly, the landlord and his wife are just hanging about discussing the states of the house and how great it looks and whatever the poo poo, also visited all the rooms.

I think it's just a weekend outing for them or something.

I also liked how his wife went "I laughed when I saw what his room (i.e. my room) looks like". gently caress you.

It's pretty ridiculous that a group of 4 medical professionals, an engineer and a TV script writer have to share two bathrooms and one washing machine and that this is perfectly fine and normal and expected. The UK housing market is broken beyond belief.

Pretend to have a very loud conversation with someone from Track and Trace before coughing very theatrically.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

"Infectious you say? Well how is his family?"

"To shreds, you say?"

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Surely just because it's shared occupancy they can't just be there all day?

What about covid rules? Aren't we limited how many people can be in each others houses?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Surely just because it's shared occupancy they can't just be there all day?

What about covid rules? Aren't we limited how many people can be in each others houses?

"Gathering limits have been eased. Outdoor gatherings are limited to 30 people and indoor gatherings are limited to 6 people or 2 households (each household can include a support bubble, if eligible)."

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

They aren't showing any signs of wanting to leave.

Also one of the kids got lost so the other kids went: let's go upstairs and see if she's in one of the other rooms.

Those are peoples homes you're barging into you know.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Honestly just tell them this is your space that you pay for and you want to enjoy your weekend

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
sounds like a good time to introduce the kids to the joys of death metal

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Jakabite posted:

Honestly just tell them this is your space that you pay for and you want to enjoy your weekend

Ruining other peoples weekends I suppose is their weekend fun. I can't see any other reason than just power tripping. Hopefully lighting will strike them dead soon.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
My partner used to live in an HMO and apparently her landlord also used to just turn up unannounced to loiter around the kitchen/living room. Seems sketchy as hell that they can do that without good reason.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

They are talking to the other tenants, I don't think I can really jump into that conversation without being very rude.

I'm hoping to get a reference from the landlord too.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Don't do anything about it then.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Private Speech posted:

They are talking to the other tenants, I don't think I can really jump into that conversation without being very rude.

I'm hoping to get a reference from the landlord too.

Get the reference and leave as soon as your lease is up? :shrug:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Nonsense posted:

Get the reference and leave as soon as your lease is up? :shrug:

My exact plan.

Went out to shop and have dinner, despite the crowds it feels a lot more private tbh.

Anyway sorry for the rant and derail but ALAB and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I am my mother's landlord technically. Except I pay all her bills and don't charge her rent.

I just spent the day building furniture at her place, fixed the sink, put up some shelves and ordered a water butt for her back garden and stole some of her sage Bush to plant at my place.

Thing is, if she wasn't my mum and I was renting the place out I'd still help out if needed... Because it's like...my house and I'm responsible for its maintenance and making sure it's nice for whoever is there.

I can't imagine just loving turning up unannounced, that's some awful power trip bullshit. Especially hanging around like they are.

I'd have said go to a cheese shop and buy some raclette and make an enormous stinky fondue. They might leave and then you'd have raclette!