Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Togger
Jan 16, 2019
https://twitter.com/DRNyheder/status/1401250993082228741

loving embarrassing country lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
One of the most boomer brain people in Denmark and that’s saying something. Glorified marketing consultant, but thinks he is a towering intellect because of a mildly successful tv-show where he dumbed down the most basic sociological concepts ad absurdum. Regularly ‘cites” things in causal conversation that’s completely wrong, but because journalists are the only professional group dumber than sociologists, he is given a pass. Big hit with the outrage segment obviously.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Revelation 2-13 posted:

One of the most boomer brain people in Denmark and that’s saying something. Glorified marketing consultant, but thinks he is a towering intellect because of a mildly successful tv-show where he dumbed down the most basic sociological concepts ad absurdum. Regularly ‘cites” things in causal conversation that’s completely wrong, but because journalists are the only professional group dumber than sociologists, he is given a pass. Big hit with the outrage segment obviously.

Personally I really enjoyed his anti-idpol lapel pin grift.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
It’s something like 80% of danish national politicians that voted for what amounts to making sure universities does research on ‘both sides’ of racism. The declaration written by an actual convicted racist. The most surprising thing is that I always think I’ve reach max amount of disappointment with the succ dems, holy poo poo they are so loving bad.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Revelation 2-13 posted:

The most surprising thing is that I always think I’ve reach max amount of disappointment with the succ dems, holy poo poo they are so loving bad.

There's your problem right there.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

SplitSoul posted:

There's your problem right there.

There's always more, and it's always worse.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

And it's gender studies and middle east studies being dragged out. I wonder if there's any relation to those specific fields being extremely critical of status quo power structures and foreign/immigration policies respectively?

Like, it's literally "those guys are pointing out that I didn't end up in power based on merit, shut them down!"

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Which asylum center in Denmark was it that was next to a military shooting range and did that ever get moved?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Zudgemud posted:

Which asylum center in Denmark was it that was next to a military shooting range and did that ever get moved?

It's actually three of them, Sjælsmark, Sandholm and Ellebæk, in close vicinity. The first two are old army barracks and had families living there, the latter is a dilapidated detention center where people try to commit suicide. I believe most if not all families with children were moved from Sjælsmark after years and years of pressure and an election, but the SuccDems were also the ones who established it in the first place.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
In late stage capitalism news:

https://nyheder.tv2.dk/lokalt/2021-06-12-borgere-kan-faa-ekstraregning-paa-5000-kroner

Farmers poo poo pesticides everywhere, which get into the drinking water supply.
Christiansborg says "Uh, that's probably bad, but we're too busy planning concentration camps, so let's definitely not solve this nationally, let the municipalities handle it"
Aarhus finds pesticide remnants in 40% of their wells, and decide to forbid farmers from using pesticides in areas where it would be likely to get into the groundwater.
Farmers go "lol no, there's no law, pay us 800 million, or we'll keep doing it"
The state agrees with the farmers.

I wonder if I could get set up a tire burning business and get paid to not do it?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
There ain’t no law that says farmers can’t play basketball spew pesticide into the groundwater!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

And groundwater is like the one natural resource we have.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Esran posted:

https://nyheder.tv2.dk/lokalt/2021-06-12-borgere-kan-faa-ekstraregning-paa-5000-kroner

Farmers poo poo pesticides everywhere, which get into the drinking water supply.
Christiansborg says "Uh, that's probably bad, but we're too busy planning concentration camps, so let's definitely not solve this nationally, let the municipalities handle it"
Aarhus finds pesticide remnants in 40% of their wells, and decide to forbid farmers from using pesticides in areas where it would be likely to get into the groundwater.

I wonder if I could get set up a tire burning business and get paid to not do it?

Farmers are the most coddled welfare recipients next after the royals.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Why do we even have a separate social democrat party if their whole platform is being racist and giving money to farmers? I thought that was what Venstre was created to do.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I thought Danish water was pretty poo poo to begin with?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

I can't speak for Denmark, but gently caress of with this generalizing ignorant crap.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

thotsky posted:

I thought Danish water was pretty poo poo to begin with?

You're thinking of us demolishing Øresund. There's some excellent drinking water still in the outskirts.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Esran posted:

"Give us your money or the ground-water gets it!" very novel. Those who have the power to destroy a thing has absolute control over it, I guess. I'll get right on working on the cats cradle ending, seeing as holding entire populations hostage is so lucrative (see also: pharmaceutical industry).

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

This doesn't fit with their self-image as strong-man-bootstraps types, so all the support they get from the state is either immediately forgotten, or just the way things are done.

poo poo rolls downhill though, and many farmers are under the thumbs of the banks, and have to compete on price with agribusiness in countries with much shittier environmental/animal welfare standards in the name of Free Trade, so I can see how some of them can come to see themselves as put upon.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Why do we even have a separate social democrat party if their whole platform is being racist and giving money to farmers? I thought that was what Venstre was created to do.

Communism isn't a threat anymore, so there's no reason to appeal to workers. Appealing to yuppies and corporations is much more lucrative, and it gets you invited to the nice parties.

If you don't like it, just Vote! You can vote for Venstre who will implement racism and austerity because brown people are lazy moochers and all the welfare queens need to get a job, or you can vote for the Social Democrats who will implement racism and austerity because really smart intellectuals have come to the conclusion that welfare recipients need to be incentivized to get a job, and ethnic minorities have more people out of work than average so we have to tear down their housing, for their own good.

You can also vote for all the smaller parties that will help Venstre and the SocDems implement this policy :v:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Esran posted:

This is a pretty dumb take.

A problem like this would shake out pretty much the same in Norway, and here's why:

What Aarhus municipality is doing is permanently restricting the use of the land and paying compensation, similar to outright expropriation (klausulering is what we'd call this in Norway) which is routinely done for land areas around fresh water sources, so the source water isn't polluted. Permanent restrictions and other eminent domain functions are compensated, often with a single payout, for a permanent benefit to the state.

What is happening here is that the farmer's ability to fully produce on their land is permanently damaged (no pesticides means a lot less crops) to preserve water quality.

Imagine someone came to your job, told you they are cutting your paycheck by 30% but paying you a lump sum of 300 000 DKR. How long until you wind up in the negative on that deal?

Alright, so no pesticides make for fewer crops, farmers lose money, state eminent domains that poo poo and they get a lump sum. So why do the water recipients have to pay.

Well in Norway, as in many other countries, water is usually organized through the municipality as a sort of coop. You pay your share, the municipality produces water and builds and administers/maintains the water mains, but is disallowed by law to make a profit. It is funded in full by the water recipients as a type of non-profit (selvkost).

This means that the cost of getting water just rose by an appreciable amount. This is a fact of life, of government and of the future; climate change and water table overuse will result in vastly increased costs in producing good safe quality water on aging infrastructure. Over basically all of Norway the water bill needs to rise between 100% to 200% just to cover the needful cost increases but has so far been kept down by systemic lag and various tricks to make businesses carry the burden. But it won't last.

What the farmers are doing isn't considered pollution. Pesticides are a vital component for modern day farming and completely necessary to make the kind of quota you need to compete with foreign grain delivery. So while you can't legally ban them from using their land the needful way to make a living, you can eminent domain their land for a compensation that helps alleviate the loss per productive hectar... for a while. And yeah, agriculture takes up a lot of land. Now you know.

And of course, if you disagree with me that farmers need money to live and work or you think pesticides are evil pollution with the sole purpose of killing babies, I got a great way for you to experience what that world looks like: Stop eating.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Nice piece of fish posted:

This is a pretty dumb take.

Pretty bold words for someone whose take is 'Acshually since it's not technically illegal to poison the ground water and the farmers lose money on not doing it, it's fine for them to hold the ground water hostage'. Like, you could make the same exact argument for chemical factories in the 80s, where there TECHNICALLY wasn't any laws against them making giant swathes of land uninhabitable by having weekly "accidents", and if they had to clean their spillage water, it would cost them profits - so the municipality has to pay that bill. "Oh if you're permanently restricting my ability to poison the land as I please, you're cutting into my profits!". I mean, I know lawyers get brainwashed into thinking morality and legality are the same thing, but hoo boy.

quote:

And of course, if you disagree with me that farmers need money to live and work or you think pesticides are evil pollution with the sole purpose of killing babies, I got a great way for you to experience what that world looks like: Stop eating.

Good lord, what a dumbfuck shithole take this is.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Stop eating meat is pretty good advice though, especially on a population level. One of the lovely things about going back to work is eating in the cafeteria where every meal is built around a large amount of meat, and the vegetarian option is often "the same, but without the meat" which sucks because the meat is what ties it together. It especially sucks when you know that everyone in the country is offered this, and most of them eat the meat without ever thinking they could do without it.

As for Danish water: it's mostly for as far as I know, except it's full of loving chalk and were draining it faster than we can replenish it.

Anyway, nets was down yesterday for an hour or so, which meant that no one could pay with cards. That was fun.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

What is happening here is that the farmer's ability to fully produce on their land is permanently damaged (no pesticides means a lot less crops) to preserve water quality.

Yes. You are right that within capitalism, it is totally justified to compensate the farmer, because it is "their land". I'm making fun of/angry at the fact that capitalism is such a garbage system that it justifies paying farmers to not pollute a common resource, that they shouldn't have had the right to pollute in the first place.

A problem like this would shake out pretty much the same in Norway

My point was not that this was a dumb situation unique to Denmark.

Imagine someone came to your job, told you they are cutting your paycheck by 30% but paying you a lump sum of 300 000 DKR. How long until you wind up in the negative on that deal?

I feel like you're arguing against my thinking this is a sweet deal for the farmers. I don't think it is. I think it's ridiculous that within this system, it is justifiable to pay a polluter to stop polluting common resources, just because they used to be able to pollute freely.
You are coming at this from the point of view that polluting this way is a right the farmers have, and ought to have, and so compensating them for the loss of this right is cool and good. I'm saying they should not have had that right at all, and it's bad that we now need to compensate them for the loss of the right they shouldn't have had.

Your analogy is easily extended to other industries. Imagine the state banned fossil fuels from the electrical grid, but paid the affected companies a lump sum. How long until they wind up in the negative on that deal?
I don't think this is a very convincing argument.

This means that the cost of getting water just rose by an appreciable amount. This is a fact of life, of government and of the future

Oh word, this is a problem that everyone has, and that everyone needs to solve to live? It's almost like problems like "access to clean water" should be handled nationally (and funded via taxes), and not be delegated to each municipality as a local problem.

What the farmers are doing isn't considered pollution. Pesticides are a vital component for modern day farming

Yes, and that's dumb. It is very clearly pollution. We need electricity too, but I don't see very many people arguing that burning coal is not polluting. It can be simultaneously true that we need to do a thing, and that that thing pollutes. If capitalism weren't so garbage at pricing things, this would be accounted for in the price of the goods produced.
I'm not arguing that we need to get rid of pesticides entirely either. I don't know if getting rid of pesticides in general is doable, I suspect not. This specific case is just about not using pesticides in a few places where they are likely to get into aquifers.

So while you can't legally ban them from using their land the needful way to make a living, you can eminent domain their land for a compensation that helps alleviate the loss per productive hectar... for a while. And yeah, agriculture takes up a lot of land. Now you know.

You are arguing how things are. Clearly under capitalism you can't legally ban the farmers from using their land in this way. We all agree that this is how things are. I'm pointing out that this is a really dumb outcome, and that the system that produced that outcome is not good, and that this is not how things ought to be.
And thank you for explaining that private property rights exist under capitalism, and that farming takes up land, these are news to me. Love to learn.

No one argued this, but yes, this strawman you've invented definitely has bad opinions.

Edit: Removed a bit, no reason for me to be a dick.

Esran fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 12, 2021

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Maybe Danish farmers could grow fewer snakes.

https://www.snopes.com/articles/348134/indiana-jones-snakes/

quote:

“When Indy finds the Well he discovers that the whole place is inhabited by snakes. Spielberg wasn’t pleased with the number of snakes they had on the set (about 2000) and ordered 4500 more from Denmark in order to achieve the horror the script so well described.”

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The farmers are a net cost to the Danish state once you factor in subsidies and all the rest of it, IIRC. It just so happens that they got Venstre in their pocket and even had a SuccDem minister jump ship to head their lobbying org, one of the most influential in Danish politics.

Look, we already bred the mink to handle the snake problem and that didn't work out so well. I know where this ends.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 12, 2021

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Letting your farmers run out of business as they get out competed by imports is pretty risky long term when the population needs food to not die. From now and forever.

China exports something like twice the amount of food as the next 10 countries combined. If we ever came to a situation where we were dependant on imports to not all starve. Then countries like China would absolutely wring concessions from the EU for all kinds of shady stuff.

At that point you can't really just start it all back up because the farms are now forests.

I think all countries should aspire to at least have the ability to be be food self-sufficient in an emergency. And subsidies going towards maintaining that is money well spent.

Sure maybe the farmers are growing kale and avocado toast now. But if the global situation changes then at least they can shift to grains within a year or two.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Gotta get the oil somehow!

Speaking of Bæredygtigt Landbrug, they are currently sueing a scientist at Aarhus University for slander (injurier). The alleged crime? Saying that farmers keep releasing nitrates to the environment.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

BonHair posted:

As for Danish water: it's mostly for as far as I know, except it's full of loving chalk and were draining it faster than we can replenish it.

Well, an absurd amount of chalk to be correct.
One would think that Skåne and Själland would have similar water, but my experience was that every glass drank from in Copenhagen had clear marks of chalk on them.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BonHair posted:

Gotta get the oil somehow!

Speaking of Bæredygtigt Landbrug, they are currently sueing a scientist at Aarhus University for slander (injurier). The alleged crime? Saying that farmers keep releasing nitrates to the environment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlTukY9fV9Y

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I don’t think anyone is like; ‘kill all danish farmers’ or anything. I’m certainly not. I think there is good reasons for I keep danish farmers around, including environmental and animal welfare ones. Because they’re generally better than a lot of other places, where we then would have to get out food from. It’s been shown many times over that they use way way more pesticides than necessary, consistently and systematically skirt regulations in various ways and so on. There are many ways in which pesticides can be kept out of the ground water and reduced in favour of more ecological alternatives; not necessarily more expensive either.

As for their profits potentially being being reduced by government regulation and changes happen all the time for everyone. When we figured out that asbestos was bad, the people using the poo poo had to figure something else out, because poisoning the general population is not a good thing, regardless of whether it’s profitable to do so. There are thousands and thousands of example of this, but danish farmers are in such a political favourable position that they can get away with anything. See also the idiotic mink torturers convincing everyone that they it was a case of government appropriation. Jfc.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Revelation 2-13 posted:

When we figured out that asbestos was bad, the people using the poo poo had to figure something else out, because poisoning the general population is not a good thing, regardless of whether it’s profitable to do so.

Yeah, they actually had to compensate those affected by it. My uncle got 250K from B&W for working with it for years, although he ultimately died from his second bout of asbestosis-induced lung cancer. He lived decades longer than all his former colleagues, though.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Randarkman posted:

I can't speak for Denmark, but gently caress of with this generalizing ignorant crap.
It's farm *owners*, not farmers

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Cardiac posted:

Well, an absurd amount of chalk to be correct.
One would think that Skåne and Själland would have similar water, but my experience was that every glass drank from in Copenhagen had clear marks of chalk on them.

Why would you think that? Sweden, including Skåne is made directly of dead Ymir and grundfjeld, whereas Sjælland is made of dirt dug out of Sweden by a cheating jætte and meltwater. Mythologically and geologically, Sjælland is not Sweden.

I also think we should only kill the meat farming business by not buying their products anymore.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I feel like mentioning that extremely hard water is a Copenhagen specialty, and Jutland has water as soft or softer than parts of Sweden. Obviously Sweden still wins on average though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I feel like mentioning that extremely hard water is a Copenhagen specialty, and Jutland has water as soft or softer than parts of Sweden. Obviously Sweden still wins on average though.

There's plenty of Sjælland outside of Copenhagen, Mr German peninsula!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BonHair posted:

There's plenty of Sjælland outside of Copenhagen, Mr German peninsula!
But the water there isn’t quite as bad. I mean, it’s still bad, but not quite as awful.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Ah, that part was never discussed. Partly because according to my Danish coworkers Copenhagen = Själland.
And to be fair, Skåne gets its water from Småland most of the time.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Just gonna post this

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

The farmers are a net cost to the Danish state once you factor in subsidies and all the rest of it, IIRC. It just so happens that they got Venstre in their pocket and even had a SuccDem minister jump ship to head their lobbying org, one of the most influential in Danish politics.

Look, we already bred the mink to handle the snake problem and that didn't work out so well. I know where this ends.

And our winters will only make the snake-eating gorillas wet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
It’s incredible how a convicted racist, and a glorified marketing consultant has a managed to bring all of the danish universities to their knees using the most generic american alt-right inspired talking points. Well. Not alone of course, newspaper journalists and serious tv host are tripping over themselves to say: “yes, these two people are really terrible, almost always disingenuous, and obviously have very strong political interests in making sure people with actual knowledge about things such as racism and sexism stay out of the public debate - but do they have a point? Have universities gone too far?”. In loving Denmark of all places. Denmark has the tamest weak-sauce gender study research, the mildest and least impactful research into racism. There is like more people studying reverse-bigotry than actual bigotry.

Does the collective danish journalism profession really have to prove me right about how dumb they are every week? Of course they wheel out the hack theology professor who only got his professorship and funding because of his ‘critical of Islam’ stance, and pretend his insights on ‘how universities really do have a problem’ is somehow relevant. It’s like one guy in thousands and thousands, who didn’t sign the thing, but let’s definitely get his important views on the record. Let’s ask the village idiot next. Oh wait, it’s the same guy. gently caress me, it’s just so stupid. I wonder where all the free speech extremists who were so concerned about Islam went, now that politicians wants to dictate what subjects and which conclusions research should be done in. Even “respectable” newspapers are wondering if perhaps A SINGLE PHD investigating whether fat people are marginalized is going too far.