Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i think the ck3 counterfactual dlc should be time travelling ancient romans

immediately followed by time traveling ancient carthaginians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

I was playing as a count in Italy. The king pissed off populists somehow; because he was a loving Karling and waged another war for East Francia, he lost to the rebels. I thought I'll just get another ruler. Instead, the game unceremoniously dumped me to the main menu, claiming that I'm now landless and it's over for me.

Is it a thing with populist revolts now? I know that Crusades and Holy Wars remove infidel rulers from the conquered territory, but in this case it was a Cisalpine Catholic leader banishing a Cisalpine Catholic count. I see no reason why would I suddenly become landless.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
That kinda...shouldn't happen? Players can't join populist factions even if they have the right culture and faith (which is weird and dumb and I modded it out on my copy) but their capital county's populace can't join them either (to prevent exactly what happened to you). Looking at the code, I guess that if they went to war and occupied your land as part of the war then you would get usurped when the war resolved regardless of these, which seems like an oversight (there are a fair number of other protections for vassal players from losing their primary title in that script, but not in that part of it).

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Takanago posted:

immediately followed by time traveling ancient carthaginians

I'm actually into this. This is why they lost the war you see, they all went to the future to win there.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

Looking at the code, I guess that if they went to war and occupied your land as part of the war then you would get usurped when the war resolved regardless of these, which seems like an oversight (there are a fair number of other protections for vassal players from losing their primary title in that script, but not in that part of it).

Thank you, that was exactly what happened – they occupied my land and had it occupied when the war ended.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I'm finally starting to figure out how to dismantle a faction without relying entirely on assassinations or overwhelming military power (though those help). What I haven't yet figured out are the steps I should be taking as an old and secure ruler to pass a stable realm onto my heir. I'm fine being punished for stupid decisions or roleplaying, but I don't want to lose ground just because I don't understand how certain systems work.

Virtually all of my vassals just rose up against me after I passed absolute crown authority, but I have powerful allies and a huge army and now they've all been imprisoned. If I want to put my heir in a good position, should I consider revoking the rebels' titles/claims and granting them to loyalists so my son will get the "positive opinion of predecessor" opinion boost? Or are there potential negative consequences I haven't considered to that amount of upheaval? If they're in prison when I die, are they all released?

The best way to pass strength on to your heir, same as CK2, is to have a bunch of leftover relatives to marry off. If you can subtract three or four of your strongest vassals from factions, you can probably take care of the rest. If you're ruling a large realm, it's also helpful to have a few uncreated titles to hand out.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Various Meat Products posted:

The best way to pass strength on to your heir, same as CK2, is to have a bunch of leftover relatives to marry off. If you can subtract three or four of your strongest vassals from factions, you can probably take care of the rest. If you're ruling a large realm, it's also helpful to have a few uncreated titles to hand out.

An alternative is to toss your most powerful vassals in prison when you feel like you might die soon. You might have to fight them for it, but at least you'll be doing it at the peak of your strength and when most of your realm likes you (meaning they are unlikely to have other vassals join them in resisting you). They'll be mad at the new heir over it but they won't be able to do much about it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

A healthy bank account and a bunch of armored cavalry go a long way too, should your heir be an only child.

Also holy hell Forgiving is strong as hell now. Possibly brokenly so. You lose 30 stress for every hook you renounce, meaning it's easy to shed infinite stress basically.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

A healthy bank account and a bunch of armored cavalry go a long way too, should your heir be an only child.

Also holy hell Forgiving is strong as hell now. Possibly brokenly so. You lose 30 stress for every hook you renounce, meaning it's easy to shed infinite stress basically.

Conversely, Gregarious is quite chancy now. Your court cleric really doesn't like you, so he's not endorsing you? Okay, sway him then! Oh you keep failing? That's stressing you out. Why won't he be your friend?

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I'm unsure of the full details but in one of my older Portugal playthroughs I had an infidel vassal who iirc was the head of faith for his religion and it didn't let me revoke his titles due to this. What do you do in that instance to take back the land?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

eleven extra elephants posted:

I'm unsure of the full details but in one of my older Portugal playthroughs I had an infidel vassal who iirc was the head of faith for his religion and it didn't let me revoke his titles due to this. What do you do in that instance to take back the land?

Is it because it won't let you make them landless? If so, you should give him some far-off island or something that you conquer specifically for this purpose then revoke the other titles.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 11, 2021

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Do it the old-fashioned way, i.e. fabricate a claim on their land and press it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Ah the medieval sovereign citizen

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

The military AI, unfortunately, is still bad when it comes to Crusades. I think it's a reasonable assumption that crusaders fighting for Jerusalem should at least try to reach Jerusalem and not scatter immediately before an enemy doomstack like frightened rabbits.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The only way I found to win a crusade:

1- wait for everyone to raise their armies and sail to the target, then you go (but dont wait too long or they will attack without you)

2- they will all be gathered at some place, usually moving around aimlessly as the AI does; go where they are

3- they will start following you like a pack of dogs. move slowly to where the enemies stacks are

Only works if you are the strongest guy on your side, it seems. But I managed to win a crusade or 2 doing that

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 12, 2021

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Ah yes, Dirk Gently's Art of War.

(Or a Reverse Gently, as in you look like you know where you're going, so everyone else is following you)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Gantolandon posted:

The military AI, unfortunately, is still bad when it comes to Crusades. I think it's a reasonable assumption that crusaders fighting for Jerusalem should at least try to reach Jerusalem and not scatter immediately before an enemy doomstack like frightened rabbits.

Yeah it's a bit disappointing that the defenders are nearly always united and grouped up in the target Kingdom, while the Crusaders land piecemeal in Syria as they happen to arrive by sea. Famously the Crusading pattern.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The AI is smart enough to realize that they need to separate so they don't have an entire 30k stack on a single province sieging, but not smart enough to realize it would be faster if they sieged multiple provinces at a time, which is very annoying.

Hellioning fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 12, 2021

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah it's a bit disappointing that the defenders are nearly always united and grouped up in the target Kingdom, while the Crusaders land piecemeal in Syria as they happen to arrive by sea. Famously the Crusading pattern.

It's actually not the main problem, because that do manage to meet each other eventually. It's what happens later that's a clusterfuck.

First of all, they all land in Syria or Egypt and barely try to reach the target of their Crusade. Instead, they play tag with defenders and sometimes siege some weakly defended forts. This means a Crusade routinely loses because of the ticking war score.

Also for some reason, the enemy manages to keep their forces in a 20K-large doomstack, but the Crusaders swarm around the entire province. Two of these microstacks usually sieges something, but the rest chill out in the desert doing gently caress all.

This would be fine, if they actually remembered there's a bunch of their friends around, but they don't. If a doomstack tries to attack, they don't try to call their friends from neighboring provinces, just run away. The entire crusading army scatters like cockroaches after you turn the lights on. Only if one of their stacks is attacked, they run to their helo, which is usually too late.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Gantolandon posted:

First of all, they all land in Syria or Egypt and barely try to reach the target of their Crusade

Yeah, thats what usually happens, on my experience too

And thats when you should arrive with your doomstack where they are and they will start following you

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Gantolandon posted:

This may be the most realistic part of the game though.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

PittTheElder posted:

Crusaders being a disorganized mess, with individual groups traveling separately and often getting into mischief and trouble well before they reach Jerusalem and occasionally splitting off for random side distractions, is pretty historical. It just doesn't really fit the game.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

They usually weren't this big of a mess though, and actually managed to coordinate amongst themselves (and with Alexios, who in attempting to co-opt the First Crusade was essential to their success honestly, they had no hope of supplying themselves otherwise).

There was various mischief going on, but it was primarily during the People's Crusade, and Bohemonds ongoing attempts to carve out chunks of the Empire for himself. The Princes' Crusade (ie. the only one we see in game) was remarkably well coordinated by the Roman state until Antioch, and by that point they've already fought the decisive battle of the campaign.

SlothBear posted:

This may be the most realistic part of the game though.

In what sense? I can't really think of an instance of that happening. It's more often that Crusaders were far too eager for a fight and got themselves wiped out. At least during the First Crusade it was far more likely to have the defenders pull that move for local political reasons.

What happens now is the EU4 disease, where the AI thinks it must attack something right now, and tries to take some ridiculously implausible path to an area it perceives as weakly defended, only to turn back if the enemy looks like it might move over there in response.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 12, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Richard the 3 had a hell of a time keeping his crusaders in line.

A significant chunk just refused to leave Acre for several weeks eventually trickling towards the columns slow March south.

This is famously when Richard lost cohesion as he wanted to attack Egypt but the army wanted Jerusalem

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Been having a hell of a time defending against a crusade for Spain (loving little count armies carpet sieging provinces :argh:). But it's not helped by the fact that I keep seeing my armies just suddenly...lose. Like I'm wining battle, then go try and check on all the other bullshit going on, then I turn back and my armies are being routed! And no amount of reinforcement alters the outcome Like what the gently caress.

It's bullshit like this leads me to feeling no shame in just opening the console commands, cause if the game won't play fair I don't see why I should.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 12, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

What's your army composition like? Are your enemies feeding reinforcements into the battle after it starts? Maybe with a pile of counter MaA, or just a lot of MaA in general? Incidentally, I really wish battles resolved faster to cut down on that and make dispersing your forces a bad idea.

Good MaA are much, much stronger than levies, and so it's not uncommon for battles to start with the power bar heavily slanted to one side, only to have a MaA heavy comp run roughshod over the enemy levies and reverse that in a hurry.

Usually you see it when you're doing it to the AI, but particularly in a crusade situation when lots of rulers are all showing up with their own MaA it's possible for it to go the other way.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 12, 2021

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Maybe, but there were like two guys left in the opposing army. It felt very much like "and this battle bugged out from you flipping around"

I also agree with faster battle resolution. Would make it easier to deal with carpet sieging.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Before I start doing it, are achievements like Miklagarðaríki / KOAI unlockable even if you don't have the NL DLC? I'm seeing conflicting things online

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SirPhoebos posted:

Been having a hell of a time defending against a crusade for Spain (loving little count armies carpet sieging provinces :argh:). But it's not helped by the fact that I keep seeing my armies just suddenly...lose. Like I'm wining battle, then go try and check on all the other bullshit going on, then I turn back and my armies are being routed! And no amount of reinforcement alters the outcome Like what the gently caress.

It's bullshit like this leads me to feeling no shame in just opening the console commands, cause if the game won't play fair I don't see why I should.

Haha...Jesus Christ. You don't know why you're losing battles so its straight to the console? Just look at a picture of a map someone else made and play cookie clicker for the exact same amount of satisfaction.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

Maybe, but there were like two guys left in the opposing army. It felt very much like "and this battle bugged out from you flipping around"

I also agree with faster battle resolution. Would make it easier to deal with carpet sieging.

I bet you clicked somewhere else with the battle selected, causing you to retreat. I’ve done that way too many times to count

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Haestein might be slightly OP.

I spent my starting cash on varangian veterans, adventured against sicily while they were losing to the byzantines, picked off a few of their armies while I was at it, spent all the money on more varangian veterans and invaded thessalonika. Then I bullied a local greek count until he and all his friends revolted, nearly instantly captured him because my varangians were standing on his hometown and revoked all their titles. Now I'm 7 years in and the entire kingdom is run by norsemen.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Haesteinn is fun OP in a way I hope they never change, but also don’t introduce (m)any more of.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Anno posted:

Haesteinn is fun OP in a way I hope they never change, but also don’t introduce (m)any more of.

Once melting pots get introduced I can't wait to rampage across Africa. :allears:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I melt the pots down in Africa

Anno
May 10, 2017

Modding is getting kinda wild. This is from the Way of Kings conversion.

quote:

Teaser time!
I heard you liked RPGs and strategy games, so I put a TTRPG in your GSGRPG.
This will be the way for you to delve into the dungeons of Urithiru and fight one of the Unmade: Re-Shephir, the Midnight Mother!
Remember, each Unmade you manage to hunt down and defeat lowers the requirements for the Restore Oathpact Decision - which serves as the ultimate end-goal for the Way of Kings CK3!
(The exact RPG mechanics are subject to change - I'm tempted to switch to a Darkest Dungeon style gameplay loop with a Slay the Spire type descent)

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I understand it's webview, so you can get anything in there. I think I saw Doom inside of CK3.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
New Dev Diary - Cultures Are Forever​

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

quote:

The martial custom decides which gender you may appoint as knights and commanders. As you’d expect, you can either appoint men, women, or both. We always felt that having the gender doctrine on faiths decide which characters can and cannot participate in battles felt off. The doctrine is about the right to rule and the holding of titles, more so than anything else. Just because you want the Equal doctrine to allow female rulers, doesn’t mean that women would automatically lead your armies or join you as knights. Revising cultures gave us the ample opportunity to move the functionality from faiths over to cultures. Which also means that you’ll have additional options in shaping your realm.

This is fantastic, and fixes my biggest gripe with how "the gender doctrine" works. Now I can have a matriarchal culture where the only thing men can do is be my knights and commanders :getin:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

That looks so good. I really like the cultural acceptance bit, where it looks like it might not hurt to have wrong culture vassals if you can get the acceptance level raised enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

That all sounds pretty great. And free! The acceptance stuff in particular. I usually custom rule culture conversions to be like 300% slower, but now I can just work on our people learning to get along.