Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Rest in peace Harriet. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silverfish
May 23, 2005
graaaaaaaagh
Oh no, poor Harriet.
I'm so so sorry, I loved hearing about all her adventures in world domination. It's heartbreaking. Condolences.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I’m so sorry to hear that. Condolences

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Sorry to hear that.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

Rip Harriet, you were a terrifying ball of fluff and I enjoyed reading about you

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I never know what to say in these situations. "I'm so sorry" just feels rote.

All I can say is that I know how hard it is to take care of pets who have chronic health problems for age or any other reason, and you gave her a great life.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I don't see this ending well.

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfVwsrYjZmE

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021
The one playing dead in the carrier is definitely the smarter one.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

My rabbits were terrified of squirrels. How is that one so calm with a giant predator following it around the room?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

my guess is it just said 'gently caress it, I'm dead anyway, I'm gonna just chill'

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sorry to hear about Harriet, I've enjoyed reading about her all this time.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
That video is terrifying to me not because of the panther but because of all the bare wires lying around, Lillian would have snipped those instantly the second she saw them.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

They do love the spicy hay

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ok Comboomer posted:

My turn for a question: I’m meeting with a breeder this week who produces, among other types, dutches, lionheads, and English spots. I may be getting a rabbit or two through her. Not sure yet.

My previous trio that I had for several years with an ex (they ended up living at her mom’s long term, which was always our “divorce contingency”, and doing quite well, last I heard) included a lionhead and an English spot.

The spot was our original bun that she brought to the relationship, a total sweetheart with an eager stomach and chill, albeit timid, personality. Super good with holding, pats, etc.

The lionhead was essentially the opposite in every way, and aside from the time that he briefly became a junkie as detailed in a post from a few weeks ago, he never really became a particularly warm or relaxed or attention seeking rabbit to humans. That said, he wasn’t bitey or impossible to hold or groom, etc. and he was good with treats, etc. He was also a super close and attentive bondmate. Just way more aloof to humans and much more aggressive and prone to angering/stress by....everything and everybody except maybe his wife.

So anyway—are all lionheads like this? From research and my experience in the hobby and meeting people it seems like lionheads are sort of known for being temperamentally more challenging and less friendly in general. Words like “timid” and “willful” seem to be commonly associated.

However there seems to be some disagreement about whether that’s an inborn breed trait, whether it’s that dwarf breeds are smaller and therefore can become more easily scared/be more sensitive to things like noise/vibration/shadow, or whether it’s a circumstantial thing as a result of lionheads being too cute for their own good.

Jareth The Goblin King and Marfa, his primary bondmate who we adopted with him, were gorgeous for shelter buns and everybody’s hunch was that they’d belonged to a home with kids.

The story I always hear about lionheads is that kids (and lovely adults) find them irresistible which leads to traumatizing experiences, which leads to an aggressive, easily stressed bun. An animal that looks like a stuffed toy is more likely to be grabbed, treated, and coveted like one, etc. Then it eventually gets dumped at a shelter until somebody fosters/adopts it and writes a forum post about their mean lionhead rabbit.

But I also know stories of people who’ve raised babies/had them in good, calm environments and apparently still gotten adult rabbits that were aggressive to them and other buns.

And in this very thread I can’t remember a single lionhead that wasn’t at least jokingly referred to as a “terror” or “evil” or “domineering” or something of that ilk.

In terms of aesthetics, I like the Spot look, but I’d really love to come out of this with a Dutch and maybe a second Dutch or a lionhead (siblings are often sold together in established pairs/trios and she tries to bond individuals of different litters/breeds as well and sell them that way too).

However, I really don’t miss Jareth’s personality and I’d really rather not deliberately increase my chances of having to deal with that kind of situation again if I can avoid it. Ultimately personality trumps look or preference for a particular breed.

so ummmm.....I had a follow-up w/ the breeder today (only 2 days after I totaled my car too, but also 2 hours after I got offered more money than I expected from insurance, so on balance we’re good. It turns out I can afford to spend the price of an ounce of weed on some buns and also afford the rest of my lovely life :toot: )

I got another trio.
gently caress me. I didn’t set out to, but I wasn’t going to separate the two completely-joined-at-the-hip dwarf hotot/english spot mix sisters, nor was I going to adopt their almost-as-equally-bonded-to-them hotot/dutch cousin.

So naturally I adopted all three. gently caress my life, this is such a stupid decision but also they’re beautiful. And hopefully their dwarf breed genes mean they’ll stay much smaller than the old trio, which was actually a couple of giants plus one relatively reasonably-sized lionhead. But pray for me, rabgoons, as I drown in a mountain of effluence and fur. Again.

I need name ideas. right now we’re 90% sure they’re all female but sometimes male gonads have a way of showing up late (also rabbits are weirdly overrepresented among domestic mammals wrt various intersex phenotypes)

I bring them home tomorrow. Yay/kill me

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Yay bunnies!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Three female dwarf breed rabbits.

Ha

Good luck with that.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

It's going to be absolute chaos in the time between their hormones kicking in and getting neutered, we had issues with even just two female dwarfs. Eventually became part of a lovely bonded trio but the third was both male and a huge easy going floof who didn't just didn't mind one of the dwarves being in charge despite being about 3 times their size

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

My pairing seems to be turning out with the much smaller male in charge, basedon amount of who grooms who. Hes super good at shoving his head in the way so she has to groom him instead of herself

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

grack posted:

Three female dwarf breed rabbits.

Ha

Good luck with that.

did you meet Jareth the Goblin King? If five years with that little bastard can’t prepare me for this then IDK

supposedly hotots and dutch mixes are way chiller than other dwarf breeds, and this lady’s rabbits in particular have a really good reputation for temperament—even her lionheads, which personally struck me as way better socialized than any lionhead I’ve ever met/lived with. I ultimately went with her as a breeder because she works with the rabbits a lot before selling them, although that obviously doesn’t mean that a bunch of the world’s sweetest babbs aren’t gonna Jekyll + Hyde you a bit when they become hormonal adolescent rabbits jockeying for warren dominance

I’m ready for at least one of them emergently needing fixing for behavioral reasons during/immediately following adolescence (I go back and forth on jumping on spaying rabbits young when there aren’t males around and there aren’t glaring behavioral issues, since the surgery is invasive enough that you really want to find a rabbit-experienced vet who knows how to properly suture up a bun’s abdomen...but also you’re basically setting them up for a lifetime of major uterine cancer risk if you never do it so do get them hysterectomied in the first half of their lives)

I dunno. Whatever. It’s done. The only thing that really scares me about a lady trio is the digging potential. At least I can count on them staying like 40% the size of my previous buns

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jun 10, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What's different about dwarf breed rabbits?

Bert and Ernie actually came to me for pets today. After only 15 months!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Halloween Jack posted:

They’re smaller so the disapproval/cc is more concentrated.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Ajax did great with the move, it was like 20 hours of driving over two days. He didn’t love the loading the truck process since we kept him in his cage and went straight from cage to carrier so he couldn’t stretch his legs in the morning.

Stayed in a hotel the first night and he thumped a few times once we let him out but he got over it pretty quick and fell asleep on one of the beds. Put him right back into his carrier in the morning and then drove another eight hours to get to the new place. Eventually he fell HARD asleep, I’ve only ever seen him lay that way twice but he was like half flopped with his head at a diagonal and he was out like a light.

By the time we got here I thought he was dead because I poked him to wake him up and he completely ignored it and then I had to reach in and push him around and pick him up a bit and he slept through THAT too and I was like “oh god oh no” but he finally woke up.

And now he’s in a house with stairs and he’s having a great time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Ernie sleeps like he's dead all the time and it always freaks me out. I've pissed him off so many times.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Delilah will fall asleep supermaned, start snoring, and then slowly fall over til she hits lik 65° and she jerks awake. Its so silly

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

The smaller the breed, the more active (and destructive) they are.

Female rabbits are also more active than male rabbits.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I love it when they snore.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

grack posted:

The smaller the breed, the more active (and destructive) they are.

This just made me remember and pull up this Netherland Dwarf vid I literally have not watched in almost a decade lol.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

anakha posted:

This just made me remember and pull up this Netherland Dwarf vid I literally have not watched in almost a decade lol.

I dunno how to get this Imgur link into BBCode, but here you go (30 sec vid):

https://imgur.com/mtUG5Vg

Also I’m gonna go pick up the Chipettes now. Wish me luck. I still need name ideas.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Halloween Jack posted:

I love it when they snore.

scared the hell out of me at first because I had just read about their sensitive respiration

similarly, I had to panic google 'rabbit hiccups' last night. how can they be simultaneously adorable and terrifying?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ok Comboomer posted:

I dunno how to get this Imgur link into BBCode, but here you go (30 sec vid):

https://imgur.com/mtUG5Vg

Also I’m gonna go pick up the Chipettes now. Wish me luck. I still need name ideas.

I think you just named them

Brittany, Jeanette, and Eleanor

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

I think you just named them

Brittany, Jeanette, and Eleanor

I thought about it, not wild. Not really much of a chipmunks fan

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

Ajax did great with the move, it was like 20 hours of driving over two days. He didn’t love the loading the truck process since we kept him in his cage and went straight from cage to carrier so he couldn’t stretch his legs in the morning.

Stayed in a hotel the first night and he thumped a few times once we let him out but he got over it pretty quick and fell asleep on one of the beds. Put him right back into his carrier in the morning and then drove another eight hours to get to the new place. Eventually he fell HARD asleep, I’ve only ever seen him lay that way twice but he was like half flopped with his head at a diagonal and he was out like a light.

By the time we got here I thought he was dead because I poked him to wake him up and he completely ignored it and then I had to reach in and push him around and pick him up a bit and he slept through THAT too and I was like “oh god oh no” but he finally woke up.

And now he’s in a house with stairs and he’s having a great time.

your rabbit is what we all aspire to.

so far these ladies are exceptionally well-behaved and tempered. Did two hours in the car no problem. Initially they didn’t like it but they mellowed out after about 30 min and became chill/inquisitive/snacky. I love how smol. All three in a carrier with plenty of room to spare for hopping about. So far I’m thinking about names like Marfa 2, Astrud, Vanity, Lisa-Lisa, and Baroness. But I like to wait and see how personalities manifest.

Now I get to start litter training them :unsmigghh:

Edit: the Dutch is a digger. gently caress me

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 11, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
the Dutch appears to be very excited with her home, is trying to do zoomies in the litter box. The sisters were a bit more timid, one much more than the other two rabbits, but they’ve come around and are having a good go at the space. Everybody really perked up once I busted open the timothy hay bag.

protip: get the biggest litter box you can. get a litter box that fits all of your rabbits together. It cuts down on unwanted soiling of the area around the litter box massively.

Rabbits spend a lot of time doing poop-related poo poo, eating while pooping, grooming, and grooming each other + eating each other’s poops if they’re social. If rabbits designed houses they’d make the bathroom the largest room in the house, and it would also be a dining room, and a gathering and entertaining space.

(right before I reupped their hay)

Edit: everybody loves the towel rug. everybody binkies on the towel rug. great success. Pooping mostly in litter box so far. some persistent corner peeing by one of the sisters. Towel rug takes care of that (seriously, get a pile of cheap towels at Marshalls and line your cages with them. Rabbits go nuts for them and spend hours playing with the corners and digging them and poo poo (make sure they aren’t terrycloth or really looped. you don’t want a bun to snag a nail or tooth or swallow a length of string) and then you can swap them out and toss them in the wash when you do cage cleans. I spray em off outside/in the shower first to get the hay off. Everybody is a big fan of Oxbow young rab food, apple slices, and the open water bowl.

Edit 2: rabs wanna sleep in the litter box. at least nobody’s digging it. Need to get/make good hide box. Has anybody tried those covered litter boxes? I’m tempted to just get one and fill it with a towel. Actually I’ll fab one up out of wood+elmers glue over the weekend. The cage is like 33” high not counting the ex-pen (which I’m not about to put a raised platform in) so there’s enough room to make something nice and deep with maybe a simple tunnel + a platform out of basic rectangular panels. Plus they can nosh it to their hearts content. So far everybody’s being super sweet to each other but I know that will change in due time. Excited for teen girl squad drama. Sisters are kind of inseparable-where one goes the other follows in like 3 minutes-but everybody seems to snuggle and groom each other equally and they all like sharing the food and water bowls.

Breeder joked that trios are inherently kind of unstable (“like with humans”) and that she’d be happy to upsell me to a quad in a few weeks if the dutch ends up needy or on the bottom of a pecking order.

Edit 3: One of the sisters figured out how to pull threads like spaghetti and appears very entertained by it/unwilling to be stopped. Gonna have to swap the towels for fleece. Not as absorbent. Shame.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 11, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Rabbit god giveth, rabbit god taketh away

At the same time that I adopted these new foofs—who are doing awesome by the way—some of the resident wild rabbits finally decided to have a go at my favorite azalea bonsai. And I mean they seriously restyled them. A full conceptual rethink (lol, I kid. Not that bad, but pretty bad. Definitely a season or two of setback, and I might not get as nice of a shape, but azaleas are nothing if not tenacious). They didn’t even have the decency to eat the branches they gnawed off, they just left them all on the ground, to mock me.

Horticulture thread naturally suggested BB guns and stew pots, but I’ve chosen to interpret this as 1) my own hubris for not building a bench like I planned to in May 2) a sacrificial offering of cherished flesh to the Prince With A Thousand Enemies. May the rearing go well.

Anyway, so far so good with the ladies. The Dutch is definitely the alpha and the other two appear happy with it. The digging I was scared of appears to have mostly subsided today. It’s amazing how small these guys are, they’ve been prancing and flipping and zoomying and binkying like crazy in their 48” dog crate (which is the best cage I’ve ever used, seriously, get one if you’re using/need a rabbit cage). Their current favorite game appears to be jumping into and out of the litter box at high speed.

Also drinking water, if you haven’t replaced your bottle with a ReplenDish or similar, do so.

So far they’re cool/positive with the A/C, the roommate sounds, and most genres of music I’ve tried. Do anybody else’s rabbits react differently to songs, etc? I’m sure they’ll hate the vacuum cleaner like any rabbit, but so far I’m impressed with these buns. Good buns these. Top notch buns.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy

Music: I had a rabbit that friggen loved Enya and they all seem to enjoy a bit of radio generally

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I’ve never had a rabbit that enjoyed pats so having rabbits that flip out like normal when picked up and bolt out of your hands, but then immediately turn around and run straight back to you for rubs (often bringing a cagemate who wasn’t even initially involved along) instead of merely hiding/thumping/snapping is definitely something

Hopefully their personalities don’t change too drastically as they age, because right now they’re all sweethearts and I love them

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I'm dealing with one that can't get enough pats and one who is pretty reluctant, and I feel bad not sharing the love equally

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
ok the Dutch and I have a pat game now. I open the cage door and she runs out and loafs up and gets as many furious pats and body massages as she can handle, anywhere from 20 seconds to legitimately like 4-5 straight minutes. Then she runs back into the cage/litter box, does a couple of circles and binkies, jumps into the litter box if not done so already and does some zoomies in there, then races back out for more pats. Head + neck/shoulder massage appears very popular. Also spine massage. Repeat 8-9x until the bun flops in a corner

hotots are much shier + less pat-eager, but slowly coming around I think. They are very intrigued by the patting game but do not 100% want to partake yet

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
the pattable bun grunts for pats

oh my

anybody have good suggestions for making 2-3 sharp cage bar ends safe? There's one on each gate (and probably a few more if I really look) right at face level where the buns like to come beg for stuff. are wire cutters/sanding the best course of action? Is there some kind of epoxy or rubber deal I can put over them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

bend them outward, file them down/snip them off, and them coat them in some kind of epoxy ball I would think