Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Luceo posted:

According to this thread, no laptop I've ever owned has been usable on a plane, but I've used them all on planes :thunk:

The only usable laptop on a plane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

sourdough posted:

It's an ok laptop and an ok tablet. … that doesn't make the surface dogshit lol
imo that’s… exactly the problem with the surface. what is it trying to be, and if it’s not good at any of it, why am i dropping four figures on it??

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah, you’ve got MaxTech with a video basically encouraging people to return their new iPads Pro if they still have time
Isn't his whole channel basically click baity videos about how every new Apple release has some fatal flaw? Like everything is some variation on "WATCH THIS BEFORE YOU BUY!"

quote:

iPad OS 15 is a frankly baffling followup a month after an M1 iPad drops
Its...about as much as I expected, nice little improvements, nothing major. It's not like they've ever hinted at it becoming more Mac like, if anything they've actively reiterated against the idea multiple times. Even if they were going in that direction, the way they tend to do things it'd be a gradual multi year transition.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's probably be a bit underwhelmed if I was coming from a 2018, but given I was on a first generation, it feels so much nicer. Hopefully this one also lasts me six years.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

iPadOS 15 is a little underwhelming, because it feels like a significant portion of it is catching up on features it doesn’t feel like it should’ve been behind on in the first place, specifically the App Library and widgets.
On the other hand, I appreciate the effort that seems to have been made in ensuring feature parity going forward between all platforms.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

japtor posted:

Isn't his whole channel basically click baity videos about how every new Apple release has some fatal flaw? Like everything is some variation on "WATCH THIS BEFORE YOU BUY!"

That channel is horrible and should just be ignored. Unfortunately they somehow got something like half a million subs and some people (not talking about the person you are replying to) equate that to being an “expert”.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

It's probably be a bit underwhelmed if I was coming from a 2018, but given I was on a first generation, it feels so much nicer. Hopefully this one also lasts me six years.

This deserves emphasis for apple products in general.

My Mac Air 2013 got every update until just now in 2021.

The goddamn iPhone 6S and iPad Air 2, launched in 2015, are getting iOS 15 in TYOOL 2021.

Apple has a lot of faults for sure. But you sure as poo poo can bet overall that what you’re buying is gonna last more than 2 years or whatever. Will it get every feature? Obviously not. But poo poo, I honestly do think it comes down to you get what you pay for.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Any of y’all stream emulators via steam link or anything to your iPads? Curious how the lag is. I’ve messed with AltStore before but I think I’m ready to just have my pc as the base for everything and served from there.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

jabro posted:

That channel is horrible and should just be ignored. Unfortunately they somehow got something like half a million subs and some people (not talking about the person you are replying to) equate that to being an “expert”.

yeah they’re pretty pulpy/clickbaity, and I don’t super trust their methodology or data, but before channels like LTT got into Apple stuff and Snazzy Labs got money they were one of the better Apple channels in terms of getting detailed reviews and doing benchmarking, etc

And for whatever reason they were one of the better reviewers of M1 Macs early on, IMO, in terms of producing the kinds of data and review info that people wanted to see

They’re light years ahead of a lot of similarly ranked Apple tubers like Tailosive, and I’d even argue that The Verge/MacRumors/Polygon youtube reviews aren’t particularly substantive by comparison either

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

This deserves emphasis for apple products in general.

My Mac Air 2013 got every update until just now in 2021.

The goddamn iPhone 6S and iPad Air 2, launched in 2015, are getting iOS 15 in TYOOL 2021.

Apple has a lot of faults for sure. But you sure as poo poo can bet overall that what you’re buying is gonna last more than 2 years or whatever. Will it get every feature? Obviously not. But poo poo, I honestly do think it comes down to you get what you pay for.

It's funny because early on it felt entirely different, but yeah if my 6S+ camera wasn't utterly broken I'd probably still be using that phone right now.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Disappointing Pie posted:

Any of y’all stream emulators via steam link or anything to your iPads? Curious how the lag is. I’ve messed with AltStore before but I think I’m ready to just have my pc as the base for everything and served from there.

Yeah I’ve streamed a few games to my iPad Air 2. Controller games are the only way to go since mouse scrolling is hosed, and depending on your WiFi the lag may make the game unplayable. Works pretty well for stuff like Stardew except for fishing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

tuyop posted:

Yeah I’ve streamed a few games to my iPad Air 2. Controller games are the only way to go since mouse scrolling is hosed, and depending on your WiFi the lag may make the game unplayable. Works pretty well for stuff like Stardew except for fishing.

Proper mouse support lock (so it doesn’t trigger the notification/home bar/side app) would be real nice for proper mkb gaming on iPad. But yeah Steam Link with a controller is real good and reliable if you have good internet.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

ijyt posted:

It's funny because early on it felt entirely different, but yeah if my 6S+ camera wasn't utterly broken I'd probably still be using that phone right now.

the constant shake problem? it's probably the image stabilization gone bad and you can spend 20 bucks to buy the camera module from ifixit and fix it yourself for under 20 minutes

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh hey my mailed ipad trade in got though without issues. Got my $535 so now I have a (slightly) less expensive overpowered slab of glass with a bad OS.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh hey my mailed ipad trade in got though without issues. Got my $535 so now I have a (slightly) less expensive overpowered slab of glass with a bad OS.
Thanks for the update! Do you have a vlog I can follow for real-time updates on this saga?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

dexter6 posted:

Thanks for the update! Do you have a vlog I can follow for real-time updates on this saga?

You’re already here, friend.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

dexter6 posted:

They've made like four posts about the trade-in saga, if you're worried about them making GBS threads up the thread you're already 1/4 of the way there yourself. :)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Nice I did my trade in and ups stole my phone lol.

Luckily Apple support is good and they just gave me the whole trade in amount but it still sucked!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Glad I decided to check availability in store this morning- I just got home with my 12.9" 1TB Pro and it's downloading all my old apps etc.

This is the first device I've owned with LiDAR- are there any recommended apps that have "wow" factor for trying it out? Games etc?

edit: trade-in for my just under 2 year old iPad Pro went great- I got $540 for it towards the new Pro.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

Nice I did my trade in and ups stole my phone lol.

Luckily Apple support is good and they just gave me the whole trade in amount but it still sucked!

Yeah that was my fear since someone had that happen earlier in the thread and the packaged being “delivered” last week but nothing being updated on the website until yesterday.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Glad I decided to check availability in store this morning- I just got home with my 12.9" 1TB Pro and it's downloading all my old apps etc.

This is the first device I've owned with LiDAR- are there any recommended apps that have "wow" factor for trying it out? Games etc?

I downloaded one of those free 3D scanner (literally called 3D Scanner App) and was fun trying to scan a cat.

I didn’t go well.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I downloaded one of those free 3D scanner (literally called 3D Scanner App) and was fun trying to scan a cat.

I didn’t go well.

lol thanks- my older cat Lulu will probably be easy to scan when she's asleep.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

edit: trade-in for my just under 2 year old iPad Pro went great- I got $540 for it towards the new Pro.

Not that I have any desire to get rid of it, I wonder what I'd get for trading in my Air 4. The Air 4 is great, but having an 11" M1 Pro would also be great...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

Not that I have any reason to want to get rid of it, I wonder what I'd get for trading in my Air 4. The Air 4 is great, but having an 11" M1 Pro would also be great...

Well if you go through the configuration page on apple.com you can run the serial through their estimator! Guarantee it will trigger impulse spending though.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

xzzy posted:

Well if you go through the configuration page on apple.com you can run the serial through their estimator! Guarantee it will trigger impulse spending though.

You know, I did just try and it didn't recognize the serial number. It then asked me to pick the model and I could only trade in up to an Air 3, so I guess their website doesn't support Air 4 trade-ins yet. At least not for iPads.

Impulse spending averted for now. (Or I'll just get an M1 MacBook instead :v:)

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

This is one of those technologies in search of a purpose. It apparently has some ancillary use in photography, but until Apple's Big Bet On AR(!) comes to pass it's more a gimmick than anything.

I am curious if LIDAR helps using the Measure app- it's completely unreliable on my 11, is it any better with the addition of Lidar?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

You know, I did just try and it didn't recognize the serial number. It then asked me to pick the model and I could only trade in up to an Air 3, so I guess their website doesn't support Air 4 trade-ins yet. At least not for iPads.

Impulse spending averted for now. (Or I'll just get an M1 MacBook instead :v:)

I'm using an M1 MacBook Air (8-core GPU, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD) alongside my iPad Air 4 and it's great. I set up a little desktop situation with the MBA and I suppose it works with the iPad too but iPad just mirrors itself on external displays. I'm hoping that changes on iPad OS 15 but who knows. :v:

I don't think the 2020 iPads or iPhones are refurbish-able or trade-able yet...nor the 2020 Pixels since I wanted to trade my Pixel 5 for a refurb iPhone 11 Pro Max but they aren't accepting them at the moment.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GoatSeeGuy posted:

This is one of those technologies in search of a purpose. It apparently has some ancillary use in photography, but until Apple's Big Bet On AR(!) comes to pass it's more a gimmick than anything.

Photographers won't give a poo poo, it'll mostly only help with the fake depth of field trickery.

3D modelers are probably more interested in it but I don't know much about that industry so maybe they already have something better.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah the LiDAR is more of a gimmick at this point in my mind. I’d like to see what kind of goofy stuff is possible with it nonetheless.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm using an M1 MacBook Air (8-core GPU, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD) alongside my iPad Air 4 and it's great. I set up a little desktop situation with the MBA and I suppose it works with the iPad too but iPad just mirrors itself on external displays. I'm hoping that changes on iPad OS 15 but who knows. :v:

I don't think the 2020 iPads or iPhones are refurbish-able or trade-able yet...nor the 2020 Pixels since I wanted to trade my Pixel 5 for a refurb iPhone 11 Pro Max but they aren't accepting them at the moment.

Have you tried Sidecar?

Edit: I guess that is what you meant with saying desktop situation so ignore me.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

jabro posted:

Have you tried Sidecar?

Edit: I guess that is what you meant with saying desktop situation so ignore me.

Oh I'm using an external monitor (Philips 279P) and I do Sidecar into the iPad if I need three displays. So far, my vision is crap enough that the 13" on the MBA is almost too small if it's too far away so I opted to just get a 27" monitor instead so I can sit a bit closer up on it and have more display.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

xzzy posted:

Photographers won't give a poo poo, it'll mostly only help with the fake depth of field trickery.

3D modelers are probably more interested in it but I don't know much about that industry so maybe they already have something better.
It's used for low light focusing which would be nice.

My friend who switched from Android got the 12 Pro and has been all about the lidar since I told him about 3D scanning stuff (he originally got it for the video capabilities). Apparently it's useful for his work and troubleshooting stuff, something like scanning models of whatever installed things on site and compare to what they should be.

I wonder if it's used at all for the 3D object scanning stuff they announced at WWDC, cause it seems like that works with just multiple images of an object.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

coke posted:

the constant shake problem? it's probably the image stabilization gone bad and you can spend 20 bucks to buy the camera module from ifixit and fix it yourself for under 20 minutes

About uh 8 months late on that advice :(

Though i'm now enjoying the 12 Pro :)

coke
Jul 12, 2009

ijyt posted:

Though i'm now enjoying the 12 Pro :)

:respek:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

It is good to know that it's a quick and cheap fix though, never hurts to have a back up phone, thanks for the tip!

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

ok just picked up the 12.9 iPad Pro and it’s cool and all but why the gently caress can’t I use the split keyboard I’ve been using since the iPad mini? Typing on this thing is mega dumb.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I know, right?

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

The floating iPhone keyboard is working as a substitution, but man, that’s a weird omission. I’ve been using the split keyboard since the iPad mini! Why wouldn’t it be an option on the largest iPad apple makes? It’s such an odd choice.

What’s weirder is that apparently you can activate it but only if you use “zoomed” mode, which makes everything way too big. Just weird, man.

Anyways, I messed around with the iPad for a few hours and was really enjoying the new screen space, making even more use of the multitasking features than I was before. I’m coming from a 2017 10.5” iPad Pro, so it’s a fairly big change for me.

Well, I finally pulled out the keyboard and holy poo poo! This thing is amazing! It literally turns the iPad into a drat laptop. It’s actually mind blowing to me how slick the keyboard and trackpad feel, and how seamlessly I come into the control scheme from macOS. This was absolutely worth the price of admission.

The pencil is going to take some adjustment, though. I have no idea what I’m doing with it, and my handwriting is absolutely terrible - so terrible that iPadOS is clearly having issues reading whatever the hell it is I’m trying to write. Need some practice with it.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

It annoys me that you can only swipe to type on the floating iPhone keyboard, even on the 10.5s.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

If you didn't like the Little Mermaid then don't watch this vidya:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awTP7IUY3uo

Did Apple have to pay big buckazoids to license this song? I bet they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Binary Badger posted:

If you didn't like the Little Mermaid then don't watch this vidya:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awTP7IUY3uo

Did Apple have to pay big buckazoids to license this song? I bet they did.

yes, absolutely, but also Steve was on the Disney board (and maybe Tim is now too? Or was for a while?) and IIRC Michael Eisner was on the Apple board up until Disney+ launched, so it’s not like these companies have beef or anything. It’s not like Apple had to ask particularly hard.

Remember that the OG Apple Watch launched with Disney themes, and more have been added since. The old iPod video + iTunes movie stores prominently featured stuff like Pirates of the Caribbean and other big Disney films in their ad copy in the old days.

Apple’s made Disney a lot of money and vice versa, and I imagine there’s a tremendous amount of personal goodwill between the two companies’ leadership going back to Toy Story. In fact I’m pretty sure the whole reason Jobs joined the Disney board in the first place had way more to do with the Pixar acquisition than with Apple and iTunes.