Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
For your non-PC option, an alternative to the Shield is a Chromecast with Google TV (different than just a Chromecast). It's not as powerful as a Shield, but unless I missed something it still should be fine for your use cases (e.g. streaming apps as opposed to gaming), the remote is decent and the interface is snappy/responsive. Also it's only $50, so significantly cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Did the Meshilicious specs change since Ali did his review?

He mentioned in his review that his MSI Gaming X Trio 3080 would not fit, but from the spec page it should. Also the list I found on reddit says it should fit.

The MSI card is 323mm and the specs on the ssupd website says max length for the 3 slot config is 332mm.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Romes128 posted:

He mentioned in his review that his MSI Gaming X Trio 3080 would not fit, but from the spec page it should. Also the list I found on reddit says it should fit.

The MSI card is 323mm and the specs on the ssupd website says max length for the 3 slot config is 332mm.

It could also be width and thickness, or a matter of the practicality of maneuvering something into place with only 10mm of clearance.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Romes128 posted:

I measured just now and ~322mm really does seem to be the max measured from the bracket, and that might be touching the top panel. I think the 332mm number would be measured including the bracket tab. The manual I got with the case says 320mm max length from the bracket.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Guess I gotta get my Dremel out.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
The MSI 3080 was able to fit when in 4 slot config for the gpu. If it's in the default 3 slot config the tip of the gpu cooler hits the frame of the top panel and it won't close. I'm running an AIO so I don't care much about losing the space in the motherboard side.

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 14, 2021

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Lord Stimperor posted:

I originally didn't want a Shield because I thought it's a walled garden. But it occurs to me that I could probably sideload the Brave browser onto it, which would give me an ad blocker as well as the ability to stream from a bunch of web-based streaming sites (like kissasian). I'll look into that. I think it boils down to either a Nvidia shield or a mini ITX PC.

the shield tv / apple tv / etc do much better implementations of some of the "niche" features that your system may have, like HDR support, or DolbyVision support, etc.

I am normally a huge fan of "do-it-yourself" and "you can build something better for the same price you'd pay for a premium device" but that's just not true of the current ecosystem. windows support for HDR has been funky and mediocre forever and it looks like Kodi is "experimental" at best (running someone's hacked-up build).

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=332180

if you don't have an intense need for tinkering with this I'd say just get a shield TV. If you find that doesn't suit your needs for whatever reason (browsing?) and you absolutely cannot engineer your way there (pihole or other DNS solutions?) then you can get a J5005 intel nuc for like $125 + RAM + storage (so like under $200 all-up) and run a second device for that. But the shield has native support for things you will have to go out of your way to get working on windows.

also maybe you could get streaming sites working on Kodi? I remember there being quite a few plugins that were obviously targeted at piracy...

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

We actually had Netflix and YouTube running through KODI on the Pi but the user experience was really not what we were looking for. When we fall on the couch we don't really have the patience to figure out which plugin isn't running correctly, or navigating around the KODI interface to find what we want.

If it's just playing media, I guess the shield is exactly what we need. Only thing that holds me back is that we like to use the browser a lot on the TV or use some light desktop program, like emulating some retro console or very light office work. So that's why I'm hesitant to give up a desktop OS.

Plus, these (thin) mini itx cases are really cute. I found a couple that would look real nice. I also saw that there are a bunch of cheap mainboards that come with an onboard CPU and integrated graphics. Haven't looked far yet, but I guess at least some of these ought to be performant enough. Also trawling eBay right now.

I think I'll work out one or two mini itx media PCs, and compare that to a shield, and discuss that with my girlfriend.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
You can easily sideload any Android browser or emulator on the Shield if that's your concern :)

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
https://youtu.be/uTwPn3JWfV4

This looks good

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The flipped layout with the GPU on top looks promising, especially for those of us in the M1 who have de-shrouded our video cards and have the fans blowing down, which would be up in a flipped case. However, Dan was saying this would be a $150 dollar case, and the sandwich mode seems to be pretty garbage. I don’t think any of the planned retailers are in the US so I probably won’t be tossing $250+ in to tinker.

That said… I wonder if you could invert an M1 and find a way to make it look decent.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Tbh I think the real promise for that case is if you're a fan of custom loops. Unless I'm missing something, that's the smallest case that promises 2x280mm rad support, and doesn't need a riser cable.

Doesn't seem that great with air cooling options.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

VorpalFish posted:

Tbh I think the real promise for that case is if you're a fan of custom loops. Unless I'm missing something, that's the smallest case that promises 2x280mm rad support, and doesn't need a riser cable.

Doesn't seem that great with air cooling options.

This is what I'm interested in seeing. Everything else is kinda uninspiring as an Ncase owner.

Speaking of Ncase custom loops, has anyone tried the 2x240 layout with a negative pressure configuration? Assuming dust is no object because you clean things regularly, I wonder if this might produce better cooling performance.

TwoDeer
Jan 13, 2005

Warmachine posted:

This is what I'm interested in seeing. Everything else is kinda uninspiring as an Ncase owner.

Speaking of Ncase custom loops, has anyone tried the 2x240 layout with a negative pressure configuration? Assuming dust is no object because you clean things regularly, I wonder if this might produce better cooling performance.

I fully acknowledge what I am linking is in no way as nice as either the Ncase or Dan systems but for folks interested in dabbling in SFF I’ve really liked two builds I have done in these:

http://www.sama.cn/en/p1622.html

Slightly larger than the NR200 but I’ve done both mATX and ITX builds with big GPUs (though only ever with SFF PSUs) and air cooling but lots of flexibility at quite a low price point. Build quality is surprising decent for price, IMO. Added bonus that everything can be flipped upside down for those upthread interested in inverted builds. I didn’t end up going that route after assuming too much warm air would collect beneath the GPU at the top but now I’m tempted to give it a try…

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Are there decent, new(-ish), and reasonably priced NUCs around? I've had my eye on this Minisforum NUC for a little bit and I acknowledge that I'll be playing Chinese factory roulette, but I need a new computer, I won't be getting a video card because lol, and I really do like the NUC form factor, especially for the general computing that I do.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Happiness Commando posted:

Are there decent, new(-ish), and reasonably priced NUCs around? I've had my eye on this Minisforum NUC for a little bit and I acknowledge that I'll be playing Chinese factory roulette, but I need a new computer, I won't be getting a video card because lol, and I really do like the NUC form factor, especially for the general computing that I do.

You can make a pretty good NUC sized system with a case like the IN WIN B1.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Romes128 posted:

Oooh that thing is cute. And with the integrated PSU the price is also pretty okay. Would like hella nice in a media center. Adding a Mainboard with integrated cpu and or cpu with igpu and that'd make a media center I guess

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
Pardon if this is the wrong forum for this (and please point to the right one), I am looking to get a pre-built mini gaming pc, for my living room. I'm thinking probably between 4 and 9 liters for sizing purpose. Any pointers to reputable vendors for this type of build? TIA

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Romes128 posted:

That is a nice burger box case. I've been looking for something like this.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Hey all, coming over from the GPU thread to search for a case to replace my Fractal Node 304 that will accommodate an evga 3070ti ftw3 2.75slot card and also fit in a 22"w x 10"h x 15"d space. Reading back a few pages, it looks like the Meshlicious might be a perfect fit. Can it be used horizontally?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Enos Cabell posted:

Hey all, coming over from the GPU thread to search for a case to replace my Fractal Node 304 that will accommodate an evga 3070ti ftw3 2.75slot card and also fit in a 22"w x 10"h x 15"d space. Reading back a few pages, it looks like the Meshlicious might be a perfect fit. Can it be used horizontally?

Don’t think it can. Cooler Master NR200 might be a bettter fit at that orientation.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

I mean technically you can probably turn any case sideways. Probably suboptimal for airflow.

I might look at something like the nr200 if you don't want a vertical case assuming you haven't already, I believe it fits your dimensions (but double check).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Take this with a huge grain of salt since I've never done this, but in theory if you use an AIO cooler on the CPU, there should be nothing detrimental to laying it so the CPU points down and the GPU points up. That way, you could still have a liquid cooled CPU that pushes its heat out the front while the GPU pushes air out the mesh top. Any air pockets would stick to the top of the radiator still.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Thanks, looks like the NR200 should fit the bill and is cheaper too so bonus!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Enos Cabell posted:

Thanks, looks like the NR200 should fit the bill and is cheaper too so bonus!

I'm looking at my NR200 now and I guess you're thinking about laying it flat on the right side with the top facing forward? The main problem I can see with this is the PSU which normally exhausts out the side would now be exhausting straight into the shelf or floor or whatever you're putting it on, which can't be healthy. Given your dimensions you could probably mitigate this a bit by putting it on some supports/feet to allow air out from under it, but then you'll also need to be careful about airflow out of the left side of the case, or the new top in your desired orientation.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Those seem like tough dimensions, because any vertical case isn't gonna fit in 10" of height, but any real pizza box style case is going to be way shorter than that. The NR200 will fit but will have to be on its side (it's 11.5" high), which might look weird and mess with airflow.

Maybe try a Sliger CL530? (It looks like the FTW3 is 3mm too tall to use the standard power connector but should work with the "pigtail inlet" option.)

Edit: In the NR200 you can also mount the PSU "backwards" such that it exhausts towards what is normally the "left" side of the case, so maybe that could alleviate the need for feet on the "right" side?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Happiness Commando posted:

asus has put out a pretty decent zen2 nuc

https://www.microcenter.com/product/626702/asus-pn50-bbr033md-black-mini-booksize-barebone-system

if you are comparing across multiple sites be sure to copy the whole part number.

note that they haven't put out a zen3 update - even the pn51 is just using zen2 chips (5700U, etc)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Butterfly Valley posted:

I'm looking at my NR200 now and I guess you're thinking about laying it flat on the right side with the top facing forward? The main problem I can see with this is the PSU which normally exhausts out the side would now be exhausting straight into the shelf or floor or whatever you're putting it on, which can't be healthy. Given your dimensions you could probably mitigate this a bit by putting it on some supports/feet to allow air out from under it, but then you'll also need to be careful about airflow out of the left side of the case, or the new top in your desired orientation.

Yeah I'm thinking that orientation should work out, with some feet to get it up off the shelf. It's open air in the front, and I've got one of these mounted behind it to pull hot air out. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009CO543S

Would be a lot easier to find something that fit if desktop form factor was still popular.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah I'm thinking that orientation should work out, with some feet to get it up off the shelf. It's open air in the front, and I've got one of these mounted behind it to pull hot air out. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009CO543S

Would be a lot easier to find something that fit if desktop form factor was still popular.

With the flipped PSU orientation the other poster mentioned and two intake fans on the top/front that could work, and wouldn't look bad imo. Plus the power button and front I/O would be easily accessible, but you'll have to find a way to deal with all the cables coming out the right side of the case.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

My nr200 is actually several c cooler when laying on its side. I guess that means I need taller feet for better gpu flow?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm really charmed by the Inwin B1someone posted in this thread. It's exactly what I'm looking for in a HTPC build. It's still very small, can be used vertically and horizontally, and when put in a media cabinet, some RGB on the CPU or ram would actually look nice. I can't wait for AMD APU prices to get down a bit because I want to build one for our TV shelf.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I got my stupid xproto L case this week. probably put it together over the weekend or the following week. if there's interest I can post some pictures of the build process/end result and thoughts and opinions.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Dot it! I want to see a 1650 Super proudly on display like it should be (as a fellow 1650 Super-er).

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I got my stupid xproto L case this week. probably put it together over the weekend or the following week. if there's interest I can post some pictures of the build process/end result and thoughts and opinions.
:justpost:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Lord Stimperor posted:

I'm really charmed by the Inwin B1someone posted in this thread. It's exactly what I'm looking for in a HTPC build. It's still very small, can be used vertically and horizontally, and when put in a media cabinet, some RGB on the CPU or ram would actually look nice. I can't wait for AMD APU prices to get down a bit because I want to build one for our TV shelf.

I have some knockoff version, it’s certainly nice if that’s all you need. However, I will say that I always feel burned by APUs. I’ve had a few in the past and built one recently with a 2200G. I just don’t know what the purpose is. You could maybe play rocket league at 720p, complain about how garbage it is and then have no room to upgrade your video card. And this is coming from someone who was very much an HTPC guy. Now I just run an Nvidia Shield and the 2200G sits on a shelf, completely unused. Maybe the story would be a bit different with an AMD 5 series APU, but you’re still only talking about 1080P games while dropping settings, and the fact that the APUs can’t be bought separately.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I’m vaguely looking at the idea of turning my old fileserver into a router.

is there a case like the mini box m350 that will handle mATX instead of ITX? That would let me reuse my quad NIC/ECC server board. Would be looking to go as cheap as possible and as small as possible (like m350 size but wider), with either a pico PSU (which I’d have to buy, of course) or a 1U server PSU (which I can reuse). Ideally metal but ventilated, probably will just use another AP for wireless rather than trying to cram it all into one box.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Was there one of the sandwich style cases that allowed you to do either a 3 slot GPU or a 2slot and a separate 1 slot card behind it (with bifurcation)? I think most of them would probably do it with an appropriate riser but…

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

Was there one of the sandwich style cases that allowed you to do either a 3 slot GPU or a 2slot and a separate 1 slot card behind it (with bifurcation)? I think most of them would probably do it with an appropriate riser but…

The Meshlicious claims to support GPUs up to 4 slots thick. It has an adjustable divider and an option for a mesh panel on the GPU side to let it breathe. I would expect zero sound dampening though if that's a concern.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 7, 2021

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Paul MaudDib posted:

Sliger SM580 and probably their other sandwich style cases. They sell the riser for bifrucation too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Sliger specifically sells a case set up for a bifurcated riser/second Pcie card.