Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Hi again Seraph

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Where's the line for carbon footprint?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's not a portfolio if it's not actually an investment

It's not an investment to put dollars in a dumpster and set it on fire

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Whatever hodl yachty; you poo poo in a KFC bucket

El Pipila
Dec 30, 2006
I am invincible; I have a stone on my back!
So yeah, hah, is there any possible future where bitcoin does not destroy the human-livable environment?!

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

El Pipila posted:

So yeah, hah, is there any possible future where bitcoin does not destroy the human-livable environment?!

The future where crypto is banned by sane governments and where private citizens murder coin miners in the name of environmental self defense.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Oscar Wild posted:

That's great. So they're gonna throw bitcoin enthusiasts into the volcano, right?
Ah, proof of steak.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

El Pipila posted:

I'd tell you, but first I need you to subscribe to my Patreon, watch these three-hour introductory videos, and THEN prepare yourself for an astonishing revelation. So astonishing you may wish to buy these brain pills first.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Nessus posted:

I'd tell you, but first I need you to subscribe to my Patreon, watch these three-hour introductory videos, and THEN prepare yourself for an astonishing revelation. So astonishing you may wish to buy these brain pills first.
THIS IS WHAT COINERS ACTUALLY BELIEVE

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
yeah, I wrote up the El Salvador plan, what we know of it. It's a tether scam.

That post from Jack Mallers from Strike about how to send remittances includes another step: how to cash out your tethers for genuine USD.

You just take them to any Strike bitcoin ATM, buy bitcoins with the tethers and sell the bitcoins for dollars!

How many bitcoin ATMs are there in El Salvador, for the 70% of unbanked locals to get the remittance dollars from their son in the US?

Two.

Both are in "Bitcoin Beach", and none are in no-account backwaters like, er, San Salvador.

The meat of the plan is a scheme that will see $150 million in actual dollars be taken out of the country's development bank, and exchanged for dirty bitcoins.

Trying to understand this poo poo, I kept going "this is too stupid, I must be missing something", then I found out more and it was stupider. I should know by now.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I read that and I still don't understand the el salvador thing at all beyond "it's dumb"

the endgame is that loads of tether are circulating in el salvador? and when tether collapses loads of Salvadorans lose their money? I mean I know developing nations' governments are often corrupt and greedy but that doesn't seem good for their careers

me trying to understand economics --> :kiddo:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hammerite posted:

the endgame is that loads of tether are circulating in el salvador? and when tether collapses loads of Salvadorans lose their money

No, I'm pretty sure you've got it exact.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Hammerite posted:

I read that and I still don't understand the el salvador thing at all beyond "it's dumb"

the endgame is that loads of tether are circulating in el salvador? and when tether collapses loads of Salvadorans lose their money? I mean I know developing nations' governments are often corrupt and greedy but that doesn't seem good for their careers

me trying to understand economics --> :kiddo:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
In trying to be optimistic - I think they just want to transact in btc which shouldn't need said atm's but there are a fuckload of steps missing. Like how are people who don't have bank accounts going to use crypto? How would these people get their tether? The concept seems to forget there's a lot of population who don't have access to banks.

It's kinda saying be against the banks! But use banks to get there. :psyduck:

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

New thread title

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
You can't trust all them bitcoins.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

notwithoutmyanus posted:

In trying to be optimistic - I think they just want to transact in btc which shouldn't need said atm's but there are a fuckload of steps missing. Like how are people who don't have bank accounts going to use crypto? How would these people get their tether? The concept seems to forget there's a lot of population who don't have access to banks.

It's kinda saying be against the banks! But use banks to get there. :psyduck:

I actually don't think you can give them the benefit of the doubt on this. It would be beyond irresponsible to expect people to transact on Bitcoin without trying it yourself first, and surely any test run would have noticed the massive fees, slow transaction time, and limited network capacity

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

divabot posted:

yeah, I wrote up the El Salvador plan, what we know of it. It's a tether scam.

That post from Jack Mallers from Strike about how to send remittances includes another step: how to cash out your tethers for genuine USD.

You just take them to any Strike bitcoin ATM, buy bitcoins with the tethers and sell the bitcoins for dollars!

How many bitcoin ATMs are there in El Salvador, for the 70% of unbanked locals to get the remittance dollars from their son in the US?

Two.

Both are in "Bitcoin Beach", and none are in no-account backwaters like, er, San Salvador.

The meat of the plan is a scheme that will see $150 million in actual dollars be taken out of the country's development bank, and exchanged for dirty bitcoins.

Trying to understand this poo poo, I kept going "this is too stupid, I must be missing something", then I found out more and it was stupider. I should know by now.

Just want to say I really appreciate your posts.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I can envision lots of ways to handle Bitcoins lack of throughput but transaction fees themselves are going to break it if it gets too expensive. Imagine a world where btc is worth a million dollars. Even if the throughput is first class and in this hypothetical scenario it is the global currency, but the transaction fees would prob still be over $1000 easily even if you reduce to decimal on fees.

Like a lot of stuff to solve here isn't capable of being solved with Bitcoin.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I can envision lots of ways to handle Bitcoins lack of throughput but transaction fees themselves are going to break it if it gets too expensive. Imagine a world where btc is worth a million dollars. Even if the throughput is first class and in this hypothetical scenario it is the global currency, but the transaction fees would prob still be over $1000 easily even if you reduce to decimal on fees.

Like a lot of stuff to solve here isn't capable of being solved with Bitcoin.
I think coming up with problems that arise from using "bitcoin as a currency" and figuring out solutions is a wasted exercise since 99.99% of people "investing" in bitcoins aren't doing so because they believe in crypto as a functional currency.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I think the 2014 BitCoin thread and the vague interest in the economics of money actually helped me power through Chapter 3 of Das Kapital. I had no idea that BitCoin would become something that people cared about in the real world.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

InternetJunky posted:

I think coming up with problems that arise from using "bitcoin as a currency" and figuring out solutions is a wasted exercise since 99.99% of people "investing" in bitcoins aren't doing so because they believe in crypto as a functional currency.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

increasing the number of people using bitcoin also increases the fees btw

the transaction fee is essentially a bid to get your transaction put in the next block

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Spatial posted:

increasing the number of people using bitcoin also increases the fees btw

the transaction fee is essentially a bid to get your transaction put in the next block

Wait, so who decides this?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Wait, so who decides this?

who decides which transactions go into a block? the miner who mines it decides.

they get the fees from the transactions, so in general they are more likely to include transactions with larger fees. they might also choose to preferentially include transactions that have been waiting longer, but they are under no obligation to do so.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Hammerite posted:

they get the fees from the transactions, so in general they are more likely to include transactions with larger fees. they might also choose to preferentially include transactions that have been waiting longer, but they are under no obligation to do so.

set up your mining software to give highest priority to transaction amounts that include the most 69s and 420s

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
there's no 69 in bitcoin it's a man train of bag holders

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Can the miners also exclude certain wallet ids?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

please knock Mom! posted:

Can the miners also exclude certain wallet ids?

yes, that is why they are all about not letting one single miner get more than 50% of the hashrate - when no one has a majority, it is assumed that at least some miners will prioritize money over principles and include your transaction eventually

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
So what happens when mining is consolidated enough that a cartel with 60% of the power says no more transactions for less than a 10% fee

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Orvin posted:

Just want to say I really appreciate your posts.

blog also good too (other than the bits that are just long verbatim quotes of conversations plagiarised from this thread with every username changed to divabot)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
tbf everyone who explains bitcoin by reference to "solving complex math problems" literally is explaining it wrong and that's every journalist out there

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

So what happens when mining is consolidated enough that a cartel with 60% of the power says no more transactions for less than a 10% fee

At that point they can rewrite the blockchain.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

ymgve posted:

yes, that is why they are all about not letting one single miner get more than 50% of the hashrate - when no one has a majority, it is assumed that at least some miners will prioritize money over principles and include your transaction eventually

A single entity controlling more than 50% of the hash rate directly leads to all sorts of other problems beyond just squeezing people on fees. They could sign off on double spends and all sorts of other bullshits by confirming something as correct which should have been rejected.

In terms of miners fighting for the economic incentives then all you need to do is point to all the DoA proposals to switch away from proof of work towards proof of stake.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Munin posted:

A single entity controlling more than 50% of the hash rate directly leads to all sorts of other problems beyond just squeezing people on fees. They could sign off on double spends and all sorts of other bullshits by confirming something as correct which should have been rejected.

In terms of miners fighting for the economic incentives then all you need to do is point to all the DoA proposals to switch away from proof of work towards proof of stake.

Doesn't proof of stake just mean whoever has the biggest pool of coins can gently caress around with the blockchain and the only thing preventing them is the ridiculous belief that "why would someone do that since it would just hurt themselves as well"? Maybe I understood it incorrectly.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Hammerite posted:

who decides which transactions go into a block? the miner who mines it decides.

So is there some long list of transactions that miners have to click on to decide which one gets written to the next block? I thought this was all automated and the transactions were just put in a queue based on FIFO.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

latinotwink1997 posted:

So is there some long list of transactions that miners have to click on to decide which one gets written to the next block? I thought this was all automated and the transactions were just put in a queue based on FIFO.

"the miners" means the software that does the mining, yes it is all automated

it generally isn't first in first out, but sorted by bitcoins per byte of data so the miners can cram in the most expensive transactions per byte to get most out of a block

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

InternetJunky posted:

Doesn't proof of stake just mean whoever has the biggest pool of coins can gently caress around with the blockchain and the only thing preventing them is the ridiculous belief that "why would someone do that since it would just hurt themselves as well"? Maybe I understood it incorrectly.

PoS means that rather than having the most processing power, attackers just need to have the majority of the tokens. You know, the thing that the system allegedly "produces."

This would allow them to validate fake transactions that could obviously be used to further secure their position.

The only downside is if they become unable to offload their stockpile before the whole thing collapses.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Nah, even with proof of stake they can’t pull fake coins from thin air (other than the standard mining reward, of course)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

ymgve posted:

"the miners" means the software that does the mining, yes it is all automated

it generally isn't first in first out, but sorted by bitcoins per byte of data so the miners can cram in the most expensive transactions per byte to get most out of a block

so there was a mining pool called Marathon that used to filter transactions that OFAC considered sanctioned

they stopped because bitcoiners didn't like this

but, they gave the game away: miners can pick and choose which transaction to let through, and some have done this in a compliant manner, so there's nothing stopping the US from demanding this of the rest