Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Sydin posted:

His (paraphrased) stance was basically that it's easy to look back on Japanese internment as morally reprehensible, but doing so ignores the unfathomable sense of fear and paranoia among Americans after Pearl Harbor, so can we *really* so cleanly say the people who carried out and supported internment were bad?

Besides the answer being ABSO-loving-LUTELY he manages to undermine his own mealy-mouthed bullshit by making an offhand comment of "Now you could ask why we didn't also intern German-Americans and Italian-Americans", a thought if explored even a little bit reveals that the truth is that climate of fear was exploited by those in power to pursue racist policy that ultimately benefited a lot of rich white people. But instead of exploring it he just drops it immediate and goes back to his "maybe the truth is in the middle" garbage.

I'm generally able to just roll my eyes at Carlin's politics and move on, but it was such an ignorant and reprehensible take I haven't been able to pick up HH since.
Oh yeah I recall that. I think that was 1 or 2 episodes back. I remember him saying “hmm why didn’t we also intern the Italians and Germans if it was always about national security” but I don’t specifically recall him going back to dumb both-sidesing afterwards. Not doubting you or anything, probably straight up didn’t remember. Good point.

I wonder if he’s capable of learning or course correcting for the future. He’s pretty quick to admit that he was never a historian, and I hope that extends to him saying “hey this was a terrible take and I apologize for it, here’s the result of that correction and what I’ve looked up on to fix it”.

But who knows if he’s willing to do that in a world of doubling-down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The one state that actually got attacked by the Japanese also opted out of doing internment, so the paranoia argument really rings hollow.

Of course, if Hawaii did do internment, it would have to lock up 37% of its population.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Your point is absolutely correct, but since this is a history thread I feel like I wouldn't be a proper dork without pointing out that teeeecchnically the Fu-Go balloon bombs were also attacks on a number of states.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Those were also covered up so the paranoia couldn't really be scared of them directly.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

The one state that actually got attacked by the Japanese also opted out of doing internment, so the paranoia argument really rings hollow.

Of course, if Hawaii did do internment, it would have to lock up 37% of its population.

Huh, good point

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SlothfulCobra posted:

i mean it also wasnt a state yet. it was a territory so it had more ability to do so i believe.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Man, Kaldellis' podcast even has an episode on the Empire's depiction in video games with somebody from Paradox as a guest. This is a cross over I never expected and am very hyped for.

Not sure whether to start there or with the Rus' episode...

E: upon further inspection the video game episode is hella uninteresting

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 10, 2021

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

PittTheElder posted:

Man, Kaldellis' podcast even has an episode on the Empire's depiction in video games with somebody from Paradox as a guest. This is a cross over I never expected and am very hyped for.

Not sure whether to start there or with the Rus' episode...

Is this the Kaldellis who has appeared a bunch of times on The History of Byzantium? If so, what's the name of his podcast?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I really like Carlin’s ancient history stuff because all of that is so separate from the modern world that I can lean into it just being stories. Hell, anything before the 20th century probably works for that.

I listened to the first Supernova and just fell off after that. I’m looking forward to him doing something else now that this is done.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jordan7hm posted:

I really like Carlin’s ancient history stuff because all of that is so separate from the modern world that I can lean into it just being stories. Hell, anything before the 20th century probably works for that.

I listened to the first Supernova and just fell off after that. I’m looking forward to him doing something else now that this is done.

Yeah, he is good until you get to like modern times(18th century to now) I love the munster episode even if it has flaws.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?

CommonShore posted:

Is this the Kaldellis who has appeared a bunch of times on The History of Byzantium? If so, what's the name of his podcast?

Byzantium & Friends.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I gotta say, the last ten minutes of Carlin's latest episode sure are something :stare:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaneError posted:

Byzantium & Friends.

:f5: yesssssssssssssssssssssssss

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Gaius Marius posted:

In weird crossover news. The China history podcast has a new episode with Ian of forgotten weapons on YouTube. Aka gun jesus.

Talking about the guns of the warlords era of modern china

Makes sense - Ian is writing a book on those guns right now, IIRC.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Gaius Marius posted:

In weird crossover news. The China history podcast has a new episode with Ian of forgotten weapons on YouTube. Aka gun jesus.

Talking about the guns of the warlords era of modern china

It's a real good episode too!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Omnicarus posted:

I gotta say, the last ten minutes of Carlin's latest episode sure are something :stare:

Just finished it yesterday and openly went "what the gently caress"

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Lawman 0 posted:

Just finished it yesterday and openly went "what the gently caress"

I gave up on the latest series about 2 year ago and I'm not going to pick it up now. Can you summarise what insane poo poo he said?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I gave up on the latest series about 2 year ago and I'm not going to pick it up now. Can you summarise what insane poo poo he said?
scrubbing through this right now. seemed like typical carlin stuff and was going to not reply because I figured maybe I didn't catch it and I'd probably get dogpiled. but then :stare: he said the holocaust had saved lots of lives and then I understood.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I never listened to his stuff but I had no idea Carlin was that stupid

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
But what if one of the Jews that hitler had killed was gonna grow up to be megahitler and was gonna Holocaust ten times as many people

Did you ever think of that

(I had some dumb gently caress try this argument with me once and I just about stroked out)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

sexpig by night posted:

I never listened to his stuff but I had no idea Carlin was that stupid

I dunno the dude's production workflow or whatever but if you're gonna have a take as spicy as this on a topic as horrific as that....maybe run it by a few other people at the office? Ask some survivors or advocacy groups? I cant figure out why or how this made it to release.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah, uh, what was the context for that?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I did like his WWI series. I don't want to go back and listen to it now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You could tell he was going there from the first 10 minutes

It’s not a spicy take. Maybe it is today. 20 years ago it was pretty mainstream

Assuming we are talking about bombing Japan and not the capital H Holocaust

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

stealie72 posted:

There's the sort of calculus that was made where you can drop a few nukes on japan you can save a lot more american/japanese/civilian lives. Now apply it to the holocaust and how it being as bad as it is might have prevented potential genocides? He acknowledges that the holocaust didnt stop genocides from happening after but maybe its a silver lining by having the Big One so other genocides are less...big?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

buglord posted:

There's the sort of calculus that was made where you can drop a few nukes on japan you can save a lot more american/japanese/civilian lives. Now apply it to the holocaust and how it being as bad as it is might have prevented potential genocides?

Ok that is a spicy take

I misinterpreted sorry

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

euphronius posted:

Ok that is a spicy take

I misinterpreted sorry
multiple spicy takes in a span of 10 minutes the dan carlin experience going forward i think.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

stealie72 posted:

That having the experience of something like that in global memory helps to build a taboo around it happening again.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Except genocides never stopped so.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

While it's a little nice that a lot of big countries around the world are on record that genocide is a bad thing that they're pledged to do something to prevent, in practice, we haven't seen much come of that. Mostly a lot of weird excuses to not notice when another country is doing something genocidal.

I guess at least you could say that the eugenics movement took some severe hits after the Holocaust so there's less buzz about just sterilizing undesirables, but it still happens.

A hot take to get attention that you really can't make reasonable at all.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Well the R2P people have no problem with their country supporting coups, starvation blockades, proxy wars, etc. so I'll go out on a limb and say they are lying.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Mantis42 posted:

That having the experience of something like that in global memory helps to build a taboo around it happening again.

for a man who runs a history podcast he should probably consider learning a drat thing about history

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mantis42 posted:

man this guy needs to learn some history!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Personally I am very glad the Holocaust shocked the world so deeply that no systemic genocides have taken place since.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it's a good thing the holocaust wasn't literally morally and logistically inspired by past genocides done by europe and america or that take would be insultingly stupid!

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
"Well it was horrible, but at least it was the war to end all wars, so its saved lives in the long run"
- Dan Carlin if he was around in 1921

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
That is a spicy fuckin comfortable white guy take.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

buglord posted:

There's the sort of calculus that was made where you can drop a few nukes on japan you can save a lot more american/japanese/civilian lives. Now apply it to the holocaust and how it being as bad as it is might have prevented potential genocides? He acknowledges that the holocaust didnt stop genocides from happening after but maybe its a silver lining by having the Big One so other genocides are less...big?

It was a year and a half ago (before covid!) that I wrote about quitting Carlin.

The Japanese internment camp thing just up the page made me feel very comfortable with my decision. But also confused why people were still sounding so supportive of him.

This is pretty yikes right here.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
What I appreciate about that episode is that it gives the whole lie away about his old act that he was against American militarism. Like, he regurgitated the fourth grade level story that justified nuking Japan, which can be debunked by the most cursory reading of history, and then talks about how the Japanese were grateful for us bringing democracy. Bill Kristol would have taken another pass at this. Not to mention that he has gone on the record in the past of being suspicious of liberal interventionist narratives for foreign wars, which pretty much always boil down to preventing the Holocaust. And yet genocides continue to happen throughout the 20th century regardless.

What a poo poo show.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Weird Sandwich posted:

"Well it was horrible, but at least it was the war to end all wars, so its saved lives in the long run"
- Dan Carlin if he was around in 1921

:discourse: