Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

Elias_Maluco posted:

Do you guys also chop food resources, like wheat or rice, or just forests and stone and stuff like that?
chopping food/stone resources is probably worth it but I usually don't, because I want to keep those sweet tile yields

chopping forest hills is quite good, mines are much better than lumber mills anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

take boat posted:

chopping food/stone resources is probably worth it but I usually don't, because I want to keep those sweet tile yields

chopping forest hills is quite good, mines are much better than lumber mills anyway

there's also a bunch of times too with chopping where you could put a really good district but you can't because of some bonus resource and it's just way better to have the good district and just get all the hammers from the copper or whatever it is all at once

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I like vamps for domination (obvious) or science victory (for the extra production in a single city). Owls are great for cultural or diplomatic victory. Voidsingers is great for science or culture victory if you've got a ton of faith generation, and obviously is the go-to choice for religious victory. Hermetic are good for mostly science or culture, but only if you've got leylines in good spots, which means they're a big ol' crapshoot, so I never take them. You can sort of hedge bets though - leylines can't be on floodplains, features (aka woods/rainforest), or resources, so you can at least look and see how much potential you have for leylines; they tend to be in the tundra and desert more than other places because of this.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

take boat posted:

this isn't really true anymore, lumber mills are generally better

but not so much better that it's not worth it to chop on hills anyhow

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Staltran posted:

Where'd you get it at that price?

Khanstant posted:

Cheapest I see rn is 24 bucks if you buy from the 2k store. My best guess about that 13 dollar price is that they got confused and thought the humble monthly bundle included the frontier pass? Not even shady re-seller sites have Frontier Pass as cheap as 13 bucks.

It's on the Humble Store but it might only be for the subscribers. PM me if you want it at that price and we can work something out.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Man I find the early combat rush civs to be fairly hard on deity because of how many cities the opponents get, it's really hard to actually get and keep one to where you feel like you did anything.

I can play warlike civs where you invade someone after sort of setting up but for instance I tried to start as gauls twice and I feel like you really have to rush someone early and in my first game I was next to Nubia and Montezuma so I just couldn't do anything and restarted. Second game I started next to Sweden which was much better and was able to rush and take a city but it would revolt every 4 turns, so all I could really do was raze it and it didn't feel like I accomplished a ton. I guess I could have just tried to raze cities all the way to her capital and take that one and then just sort of try to settle in between, is that the approach?

I've beaten deity like a few dozen times but this is one particular play style that I've never gotten the hang of.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

You're reminding me of the one time I tried doing Immortal as Khmer Religious in a sort of "indigenous empires only" thrme. I had Montezuma at war with me for 3 eras just throwing his goofy Aztec Warriors at my siege elephants REFUSING to end the war despite him never having any sort of advantage.

I almost won, but Lady Six Sky was too quick with those dang observatories!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I was able to get a good game going this time against Zulu and Norway on my continent, this time I just checked if the city was gonna revolt at all if I took it and if it was I just razed it instead.

gently caress it, if I'm gonna go domination guess I have to just get used to everyone hating me.

Also captured two city states while I was at it, that helped too.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

this isn't really true anymore, lumber mills are generally better

but not so much better that it's not worth it to chop on hills anyhow

oh interesting, what changed this? I had the impression that mines unlocked extra production earlier, but maybe I'm wrong here

Stefan Prodan posted:

there's also a bunch of times too with chopping where you could put a really good district but you can't because of some bonus resource and it's just way better to have the good district and just get all the hammers from the copper or whatever it is all at once

oh yeah, I'll definitely chop a bonus resource if it lets me place a great district. can't make an omelet without breaking an egg

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

I always chop if possible before I put a district down on a chopable tile because there's only a benefit there (except Vietnam).

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I've played all of the other civs in my life, but never have I experienced something like Portugal. I cannot believe my gold income. It is truly absurd.

I think I love playing this civ. Being able to found a new city and buy everything is so amazing.

I'm still trash at this game but it's super fun.

Also, I found out that vamp castles give you a massive food and production bonus for some reason? It's never stated in the game but poo poo, I plopped one down near my capital and I was blown away.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Vasler posted:

Also, I found out that vamp castles give you a massive food and production bonus for some reason? It's never stated in the game but poo poo, I plopped one down near my capital and I was blown away.
A castle will combine all the yields from tiles its on and touching then send that sum back to your capitol. All four you get will do this.

I can't remember if it double dips as being a worked tile and the amount sent, hut I don't think so.

Also the castle will not update with the tiles around it, so if you make any major yield changes around one take it into consideration

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Pedestrian Xing posted:

I always chop if possible before I put a district down on a chopable tile because there's only a benefit there (except Vietnam).

50%: Ok, lets plan this so the builder arrives on the tile right as the current item completes so i can chop into the queue and place the district down

50%: eh gently caress you trees you go smush under this holy site

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

World Famous W posted:

A castle will combine all the yields from tiles its on and touching then send that sum back to your capitol. All four you get will do this.

I can't remember if it double dips as being a worked tile and the amount sent, hut I don't think so.

Also the castle will not update with the tiles around it, so if you make any major yield changes around one take it into consideration

Can you remove a castle, then rebuild it, to update yields?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Goodpancakes posted:

Yes. I also believe the vamp castle DOUBLES tile yields and then sends it to your capital. It's crazy overpowered and I love it.

E: I misread the wiki but it's still awesome.

Albino Squirrel fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 14, 2021

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I moved up to Immortal difficulty because I was doing good at Emperor. I can win reasonably well on the "builder" conditions (cultural/scientific) but I'm not great at combat and I generally need to boost my early game with secret societies or heroes (holy poo poo Anansi can save your rear end if you're behind in science or culture).

I tried to get started with Kublai Mongolia in a gathering storm game with no additional modes, and got a reasonably decent start with a long and curvy mountain chain, which both hems me in and gives me a few fantastic campus locations (including a +6 in an unreachable valley!). I beelined Stirrups so I could get to Keshigs, built a reasonably sized army, and went on the march against Poland. After taking the first city which hadn't built walls yet, I realized that all of Jadwiga's other cities have Renaissance Walls. And encampments. My knights and Keshigs get absolutely annihilated before I can even get my catapults or trebuchets in place. Further investigation showed that while I was earning 30ish science a turn around turn 100, Jadwiga is earning 492.

So my question for more experienced higher-difficulty players is, at what point do you just say 'gently caress it' and restart? In this case it would take me approximately forever to tech up to artillery and build up my siege capacity to take out her walls, by which point she will have reached Alpha Centauri.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Goodpancakes posted:

Yes, but I don't remember which unit (vampire, builder, or engineer) that can remove it. Also, your vampires share the build allotment so, iirc, you can have just one vampire moving around to build them.

You can also build up a high yield castle, then over time convert the surrounding tiles to districts/wonders. As long as you don't remove the castle, it will never lose its yield sum.

Albino Squirrel posted:

So my question for more experienced higher-difficulty players is, at what point do you just say 'gently caress it' and restart? In this case it would take me approximately forever to tech up to artillery and build up my siege capacity to take out her walls, by which point she will have reached Alpha Centauri.
Either when i feel a snowball won't be able to catch up or when fixing my mistakes/mishaps becomes to tedius

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 14, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

take boat posted:

oh interesting, what changed this? I had the impression that mines unlocked extra production earlier, but maybe I'm wrong here

Lumber mills used to get a bonus hammer if they were next to a river, but they patched it so lumber mills just give +2 hammers right out the gate. Plus they must be built on forests, which give another hammer.

Mines get bonuses earlier, but they start at +1 versus the lumber mill's +3 and can never catch up outside of whatever window is between Industrialization and Steel if you unlock the former first.

You're often better off chopping hill woods and then putting a mine there, but as improvements on their own, lumber mills are always better.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Do vamp castles do the bonus food and production thing as soon as you unlock them? I didn't end up building any castles until I reached the industrial era.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Vamp castles are cool and all but the previous poster that said owls were the best secret society were right. Getting an extra economic policy slot so early in the game--literally the first few turns usually--is totally game-changing. Allows you to snowball so much earlier.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I converted one of Peter's cities and all he said was "Yaxchilan." I guess it's a pretty well-known bug, but it still seemed vaguely threatening.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

resting bort face posted:

I converted one of Peter's cities and all he said was "Yaxchilan." I guess it's a pretty well-known bug, but it still seemed vaguely threatening.

yea same thing happened to me then his eyes turned black and all the game music slowed down 17% so it sounded really creepy and then on every tile was a grave, and I clicked on a random one and it was MY NAME

I think i'm spending too much time in the video game urban legends thread

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TipTow posted:

Vamp castles are cool and all but the previous poster that said owls were the best secret society were right. Getting an extra economic policy slot so early in the game--literally the first few turns usually--is totally game-changing. Allows you to snowball so much earlier.

yeah that was me and the other thing is I'm not sure people realize how crazy strong the gilded vault is, which lets you have TWO TRADE ROUTES per city if you have a bunch of coastal cities, and so you can get like 8-10 more trade routes easily than you'd normally be able to have, and so with the trade bonuses later you're talking about like potentially 60-70 food/hammers (each) per turn plus 200 gold per turn in whatever city you want at the end, probably more actually.

And unlike the vamps they can go wherever or be moved, plus the economic policy slot etc

plus normally, it's very difficult to get commerical hub to +4 (making it eligible to be doubled by the Free Market policy) because you'd have to build a commercial hub and harbor which would be stupid, but with the guilded vault you can actually get a fair # of them at +4 if you can build them next to a river and Harbor and both buildings are useful

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 15, 2021

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Has anyone else had wins not show up in their hall of fame? I had wrapped up a win with Mapuche & France and neither showed up. I mean, i know in my heart I'm a winner, but that's bogus.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

yeah that was me and the other thing is I'm not sure people realize how crazy strong the gilded vault is, which lets you have TWO TRADE ROUTES per city if you have a bunch of coastal cities, and so you can get like 8-10 more trade routes easily than you'd normally be able to have, and so with the trade bonuses later you're talking about like potentially 60-70 food/hammers (each) per turn plus 200 gold per turn in whatever city you want at the end, probably more actually.

And unlike the vamps they can go wherever or be moved, plus the economic policy slot etc

plus normally, it's very difficult to get commerical hub to +4 (making it eligible to be doubled by the Free Market policy) because you'd have to build a commercial hub and harbor which would be stupid, but with the guilded vault you can actually get a fair # of them at +4 if you can build them next to a river and Harbor and both buildings are useful

What I'm reading here is that if I use Owls and Portugal, I can make even more money?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Vasler posted:

What I'm reading here is that if I use Owls and Portugal, I can make even more money?

yea I could load up my portugal game to see what I was getting but I think it was 2-3k per turn

edit: weirdly I can't find my game and have no saves and it's not in hall of fame so maybe I didn't actually finish the last 20% or something out because I was too far ahead to bother

definitely once you get Joao running and then move Reyna around you can just start a city and instantly buy a district (such as a +4 harbor with lighthouse and shipyard) and you are off and running with that city, it's pretty nuts

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 15, 2021

take boat
Jul 8, 2006

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Lumber mills used to get a bonus hammer if they were next to a river, but they patched it so lumber mills just give +2 hammers right out the gate. Plus they must be built on forests, which give another hammer.

Mines get bonuses earlier, but they start at +1 versus the lumber mill's +3 and can never catch up outside of whatever window is between Industrialization and Steel if you unlock the former first.

You're often better off chopping hill woods and then putting a mine there, but as improvements on their own, lumber mills are always better.
whoa good to know, thanks. chopping is still great but I should probably build more lumber mills

I was going to call out the industrial zone bonus for mines but I checked the wiki and also news to me, lumber mills give the same bonus

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Howabout Portugal turn 161 science win on deity with 7,497 gpt, 35 trade routes, 4,629 science, 2,086 culture, 919 faith?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
sounds about right lol

I admit I'm pretty impatient so I don't always do all the stuff to stomp as hard as I can at the end as long as I'm gonna win, not sure if I could win that hard if I took my time or not

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
man I was looking again and I completely even forgot about two more of the owls bonuses: a free WILDCARD slot and +2 spies! and extra envoys!

yeah I'm pretty confident owls is the best peacetime one by a lot

edit: one other consideration is that I can't tell if the cultists/hermetic order final bonuses are very good at all. as far as the city projects you can do, they didn't seem very good to me but I could definitely be wrong. whereas the owls and vampire final bonuses I think are very good for owls and I'm not sure for vamps but I mean another castle can't be bad even if I don't know how useful the paradropping thing is cause I've never used it

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 15, 2021

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

DontMockMySmock posted:

I like vamps for domination (obvious) or science victory (for the extra production in a single city). Owls are great for cultural or diplomatic victory. Voidsingers is great for science or culture victory if you've got a ton of faith generation, and obviously is the go-to choice for religious victory. Hermetic are good for mostly science or culture, but only if you've got leylines in good spots, which means they're a big ol' crapshoot, so I never take them. You can sort of hedge bets though - leylines can't be on floodplains, features (aka woods/rainforest), or resources, so you can at least look and see how much potential you have for leylines; they tend to be in the tundra and desert more than other places because of this.

I'm currently playing a game as Arabia on the True Start Mediterranean map, and I ate Cleopatra on turn 2, and holy moly I have probably a hundred ley lines... It's absurd. This game is so broken in such a fun way.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I never build Aerodomes. Tell me why I should.

I'm winning handily on King and am ready to bump it up a level.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Oh man, because airplanes can take you from "totally unable to make even a slight dent on your enemies' city defenses" to "death from above, destroyer of empires." Often I will try to stay peaceful until I get airplanes, all the while plotting out which of my so-called friends' cities I am going to steal or destroy with my mighty mighty airplanes.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I don't know anything about high level play, but for somebody not great at the game, they store aircraft (obviously), and aircraft are great for projecting force quickly across your empire without a large standing army. When another civ invades, or a barbarian camp spawns nowhere near your troops, you can very quickly rebase aircraft over to where you need them and usually murder a lot of troops with impunity, or at least cause them to stop and heal. Then you can send a much smaller ground force to clean up.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

edit: one other consideration is that I can't tell if the cultists/hermetic order final bonuses are very good at all. as far as the city projects you can do, they didn't seem very good to me but I could definitely be wrong. whereas the owls and vampire final bonuses I think are very good for owls and I'm not sure for vamps but I mean another castle can't be bad even if I don't know how useful the paradropping thing is cause I've never used it

Voidsingers aren't better than owls but zerging cultists just to get relics can get your tourism out of hand really quickly. The problem is their tourism is nerfed from one of the civics (I don't recall which) until you build Cristo Redentor. Even still, with reliquaries as a religious belief and other odds and ends it can be used for a pretty solid culture win.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

airplanes are insanely good and one of the most OP things in the game along with spies

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I never get to airplanes. By the time they unlock I'm swamped in micromanagement and clicking too many times every turn and I get sick of it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Bombers are by far the most effective combat unit in the whole game

edit: not only they destroy city defenses like nothing else, they will also obliterate land and naval unit just as well; and can do all that without being touched by the AI, who almost never builds anti-air stuff

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 16, 2021

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Bombers are just artillery with extra range

"Now, for the first time, instead of guns, aircraft were the means of delivering missiles, and although the range between the opposing fleets was measured in hundreds rather than tens of miles, the outcome would be decided on the same fundamental principle"
John Costello, The Pacific War, Datalinks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Bombers are just artillery with extra range

Artillery are just Warriors with extra range and firepower.