Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

brap posted:

Has anyone added a decent auto save into the game? For example, one that saves when entering a new area, or when you get certain skill point bonuses for accomplishments, or just on a time interval.

Also, the fact that the vanilla game says SAVING on the screen, but doesn’t actually save your game, when you travel to a new area is pretty much sadistic IMO.

I think I’d have a hard time coming back to a game that requires me to build the habit of manually saving all the time. Plus I feel like I’d inevitably start save scumming before doing anything that might not work.

never stop quick saving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Katsuma posted:

This is bothering me. WAU didn't have a plan, let alone a sinister and deleterious agenda.

What did you think the WAU's plan was?

The WAU developed a plan to keep humanity, or at least what it recognizes as humanity, alive no matter what in the face of complete ecological collapse. But Soma wasn't a story about villains or systems of governance, everything is dying cause of a comet impact, nothing you can do about that.

Core Decay does have villains because it is set in a future where the deliberate actions of actors have led the world to where it is. And they see only one way to keep things going the way they prefer.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Phobophilia posted:

The WAU developed a plan to keep humanity, or at least what it recognizes as humanity, alive no matter what in the face of complete ecological collapse. But Soma wasn't a story about villains or systems of governance, everything is dying cause of a comet impact, nothing you can do about that.

Core Decay does have villains because it is set in a future where the deliberate actions of actors have led the world to where it is. And they see only one way to keep things going the way they prefer.

Okay, yeah. Accurate read. I'd argue that the WAU didn't have a plan so much as it was just doing its best to fulfill its instructions in the suboptimal circumstances it found itself in, but the distinction is sort of academic. I empathize a lot with it.

Dunno about Core Decay. Is it listed on Steam?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

brap posted:

Also, the fact that the vanilla game says SAVING on the screen, but doesn’t actually save your game, when you travel to a new area is pretty much sadistic IMO.

It means you are SAVING humanity from MJ-12. Also saving that one kid from dying from diabetes when you don't give him a candy bar.

Deus Ex is a land of contrasts.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
My personal issue with Thief 3 is that I didn't like the way movement felt.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Casimir Radon posted:

GMDX has autosave.

Doesn’t that change a whole lot of other stuff?

I would love a mod that’s just QoL features and doesn’t alter the balance or design at all but modders love to start down a slippery slope of “oh, I’ll just change this little thing, most people don’t like it anyway” that turns into “my vision for the game!!!” stuff.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I would love a mod that’s just QoL features and doesn’t alter the balance or design at all but modders love to start down a slippery slope of “oh, I’ll just change this little thing, most people don’t like it anyway” that turns into “my vision for the game!!!” stuff.
It does have a bunch of changes but they’re all QOL ones. The main advantage is the gunplay gets substantially fixed up. There’s some rebalancing that some people might not care for though. For instance you can’t go around breaking every door with the Dragon’s Tooth late in the game because they changed its damage to occur over three hits so it won’t always blow through the threshold of stronger doors. I personally think it’s the best way to play the game nowadays. It’s not like it’s Revision or something of that nature.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You aren't wrong, but I can tell you I never intend to play without GMDX again. Its not all JUST QoL features unfortunately, the mod is geared towards making the game more challenging to veterans. If you're not that type of gamer, you won't be into it. However, if you are, its great.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Autosave on entering a new area has always worked for me but that might be a fix from kentie's dx10 renderer

e: actually maybe I'm wrong, looking at my saves

MysticalMachineGun fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 2, 2021

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Somewhat of a tangent, but I'm getting around to watching season 3 of Westworld, and man does it take a hard swerve into Deus Ex territory by the end of the season. I was expecting something more along the lines of Blade Runner the way the previous seasons set it up, but if you swapped the replicants for some kind of cyber- or nanotech-enhanced group of people it would basically be Deus Ex: The Series.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You aren't wrong, but I can tell you I never intend to play without GMDX again. Its not all JUST QoL features unfortunately, the mod is geared towards making the game more challenging to veterans. If you're not that type of gamer, you won't be into it. However, if you are, its great.

I'll be using GMDX as my standard going forward too. I used a fork of it, RSD, that someone linked in the thread forever ago, which makes it less punishing, and adds a bunch of other QOL stuff like a radial augmentation menu so you're not fumbling with the f12 key in combat, lets you rotate items in your inventory, etc.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’ll check that out. I love GMDX but I’d like to try another variant of it. I wish someone would mod in some extended areas of the game. Vandenberg and the Sea Lab feel a bit like they were rushed and should have been bigger. Especially since you’ve got all the augs and fun toys and don’t get as much chance to play with them before the finale.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Somewhat of a tangent, but I'm getting around to watching season 3 of Westworld, and man does it take a hard swerve into Deus Ex territory by the end of the season. I was expecting something more along the lines of Blade Runner the way the previous seasons set it up, but if you swapped the replicants for some kind of cyber- or nanotech-enhanced group of people it would basically be Deus Ex: The Series.
I’m not that far along in Westworld but I’d suggest checking out Nolan’s previous show Person of Interest. AI and indiscriminate surveillance are very common themes, and it’s an all around fun show. I can’t believe it aired on network TV.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Casimir Radon posted:

I’ll check that out. I love GMDX but I’d like to try another variant of it. I wish someone would mod in some extended areas of the game. Vandenberg and the Sea Lab feel a bit like they were rushed and should have been bigger. Especially since you’ve got all the augs and fun toys and don’t get as much chance to play with them before the finale.

boy, do I have a mod for you if you want expanded maps
https://www.dx-revision.com/

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
I don't know if this is too late or what but if you want a version of the game that is truly vanilla but with an autosave, I made a version of Deus Ex V2 (the fan patch that it seems nobody cares about) with an autosave added in response to someone requesting it by email back in 2016.

Here it is, if anyone wants it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

I’m not that far along in Westworld but I’d suggest checking out Nolan’s previous show Person of Interest. AI and indiscriminate surveillance are very common themes, and it’s an all around fun show. I can’t believe it aired on network TV.

fun fact the lead of PoI is an insane qanon imbecile and the rest of the crew working on the show fuckinng hated him

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
My personal peev with Thief 3 was that the pagans speak didn't seem as well put together as it was in the original game and seem bastardised. Like they always started every sentence with 'be's', which made it sound like they always talking about bees if you blackjacked them just right.

Apart from that, the levels being too tiny and the great cutscenes are missing are biggest issues with it, it's a perfectly servicable thief game besides that.

It's kind of funny how quickly Thi4f died in the water, wasn't interesting enough to bring in a new crowd of people and sure as hell didn't appeal to the old fandom.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

aniviron posted:

I'll be using GMDX as my standard going forward too. I used a fork of it, RSD, that someone linked in the thread forever ago, which makes it less punishing, and adds a bunch of other QOL stuff like a radial augmentation menu so you're not fumbling with the f12 key in combat, lets you rotate items in your inventory, etc.

Thanks, gonna check this out. I already don't like that it's included changes like an addiction system but hopefully the good outweighs the annoying. Seriously though, if I have nanobots running through every organ I think I can handle a few or 20 zymes at once. :colbert:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Phobophilia posted:

fun fact the lead of PoI is an insane qanon imbecile and the rest of the crew working on the show fuckinng hated him

Jim "Jesus" Caviezel, right?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I knew he was a hardcore Catholic but didn't know he'd gone full QAnon recently. What a shame.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

https://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx/addons/version-rsd-beta-10-future-official-update#membersform is the fork of GMDX I liked, it has a pretty extensive list on there. The only thing that was a real turnoff to me was the stamina system, because seriously I am a goon with a bad knee and I can run father than JC apparently. Thankfully, you can turn that off, even though the creator asks you not to do it, they also included an option in the menus to remove it.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

This game is like my white whale that I get to catch over and over again. I recently spent a bunch of money building a new gaming PC and ultimately it's bittersweet because most new games still can't compare to Deus Ex or many of its cousins from this era. RTX is cool and all but I'd much rather resources be spent on gameplay depth and expansion instead of focusing so much on graphics and showpiece style game design. I realize the budget / consumer appeal factors that has lead to this but still, what a shame.

I think I'm going to play System Shock 2 again first, but then it's time for my yearly Deus Ex summer playthrough.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

Caviezel is a lunatic, but it doesn’t hurt the show at any point. The rest of the cast is excellent.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Big Bizness posted:

RTX is cool and all

RTX version of Deus Ex would be pretty sweet. Somehow make it factor into stealth and :wow:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Obviously they’re going to be able to work RTX into old engines that John Carmack designed, but idk abt Unreal Engine… was that UE 1 or UE2?

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Obviously they’re going to be able to work RTX into old engines that John Carmack designed, but idk abt Unreal Engine… was that UE 1 or UE2?

DX is UE1

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

RTX version of Deus Ex would be pretty sweet. Somehow make it factor into stealth and :wow:

That would be indeed cool. I'm picturing the like exaggerated Doom 3 dynamic shadows swinging around in the NSF satellite building in New York, but raycast and incorporated into stealth, like you said. Someday I'm sure. Add VR and that's cheddar baby

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I've never tried modding on any serious scale (at least not since I was a kid and figured out how to repaint assets in early games) but DE seems relatively easy. I was thinking about a gimmick that I haven't tried yet for a new playthrough and I realised what I really want to do is disable the toggle that blocks you from giving Mr Renton two handed weapons so I can give him a flamethrower and let him give JoJo the fight he deserves.

The only equivalent to last year's with Paul on Liberty Island is Anna Navarre in Castle Clinton and I figured out I could have her massacre all the NSF for me and still praise me after without getting my hands dirty on I think my first playthrough (!). Unfortunately as I recall, she's hard coded to stay there after the fighting so I probably can't bring her with to do all my dirty work... unless perhaps I try to lead her off before Castle Clinton is completed and the toggle hits? That was genuinely a live thought btw, I just realised while typing that that that was something I've never specifically tried.

As enjoyable as the two decades of mods are, my greatest fun is still playing vanilla and finding some new break. I do want to make the Renton mod though. I've let him die enough times that the poor guy deserves a break.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Gonna laugh if he torches his daughter in the process

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/KinoFabino/status/1403766547177422860

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

aniviron posted:

gently caress it, I've been in the mood for another sim and haven't played any of the Thief games yet, but they're 90% off on Steam right now - if that's not a sign, I don't know what is. Does the original game need any mods to make it run well on modern PCs? Or as modern as mine is, anyway.

Curious if anything came of this

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

site posted:

Gonna laugh if he torches his daughter in the process

He 100% will, it's a small space. If I get everyone on fire screaming and complete it by having JoJo technically burn to death first (and if that works, based on my experience, I'll get the short convo where he thanks me BUT HE'LL BE ON FIRE) I'll be very satisfied. :derp::kingsley:

Speaking of breaking cutscenes, I just remembered a time when I somehow led an entire squadron of NSF to the convo in the ruined house the second time you're in Hell's Kitchen. NPC's can still move when you're in convo, they just can't interact with you until it's finished. So during the convo I watched a whole group of NSF run into the house and line up politely against each other making the rifle cocking sound while JC and the guy whose name I can't remember at 1am have their convo. The second it finished they opened fire of course.

E: Stanton Dowd. Unless I'm wrong about where he is I'm pretty sure that's who it was.

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 13, 2021

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

jojoinnit posted:

He 100% will, it's a small space. If I get everyone on fire screaming and complete it by having JoJo technically burn to death first (and if that works, based on my experience, I'll get the short convo where he thanks me BUT HE'LL BE ON FIRE) I'll be very satisfied. :derp::kingsley:

Speaking of breaking cutscenes, I just remembered a time when I somehow led an entire squadron of NSF to the convo in the ruined house the second time you're in Hell's Kitchen. NPC's can still move when you're in convo, they just can't interact with you until it's finished. So during the convo I watched a whole group of NSF run into the house and line up politely against each other making the rifle cocking sound while JC and the guy whose name I can't remember at 1am have their convo. The second it finished they opened fire of course.

E: Stanton Dowd. Unless I'm wrong about where he is I'm pretty sure that's who it was.

I've had this happen a number of other places, it's always delightful to watch the NPCs politely line up and wait for you to finish before shooting.

Curious if anything came of this

I've not had as much time to to play as much as I'd like, but I've got Thief installed with TFix and it works great. I've finished the manor and am in the mine right now - it's interesting, certainly, and occupies my mind when I am not playing it sometimes. Some things seem very barebones, but of course, I've played Dishonored and quite a few other games that owe Thief their existence, so of course they will have taken the same idea and refined it. The engine's sound system is so excellent that it shames almost ever game that's come after this one, though. It's a little exaggerated, perhaps, but almost no other game lets me figure out where enemies are so precisely with sound alone.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Needs a picture of a spy drone emerging from JC’s forehead (or mouth?)

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Keith Atherton posted:

Needs a picture of a spy drone emerging from JC’s forehead (or mouth?)

I know it doesn't work since the drone opens face forward, but in my headcanon he's pooping those things out.

As far as testing with Renton so far:

He cannot prod with the prod or pepper the spray or gas a grenade of any type. I guess the toggle is that it has to be a lethal one-handed weapon.

If Sandra and JoJo both burn to death Renton runs to the corner and stops talking. I'm still in the early stages of seeing how far I can push the different outcomes, but I'm having plenty of fun. Unfortunately I don't think I can ever trigger a convo when someone is in "fear" mode, I forgot about that, so no fun on fire convos I guess.

I did manage to accidently trigger JoJo directly into aggressor mode so as soon as I run in and the convo begins, he's already stuck about to pull the trigger and is patient enough to let me and the old man talk this out.

Psst I think he can hear us

My JC is a loving moron.

Anyways in summation:

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 13, 2021

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Was experimenting with gas grenades before during and after the convo and I managed to somehow make Renton run out and despawn. He only reappeared when I finally killed JoJo but he and Sandra are mute and there's no way to trigger the end of the scenario.

Best weapon you can give him is the sawed-off shotgun so far. For some dumb reason he won't even accept the PS20 which would make the most sense for the scenario since if you don't or can't give him a weapon JC mentions that they're illegal for civilians anyway. Seems like a one-off would make the most sense in this world if you need one.

It seems the only weapons you can give him period are a pistol, crossbow and sawed-off. I'm wondering if it's actually a thing where civilian characters don't have a two handed firing animation, or specifically that they only have an animation where they hold one arm out. It's the same with Gunther iirc. I think only the NSF/UNATCO soldiers and MiB's have two handed weapons animations.

Also for some reason JoJo is protective of Paul? Definitely didn't remember that.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The PS20 may be a one-shot weapon, but it is a one-shot plasma weapon. I mean, bombs are single use too...

I assume Jojo is protective of Paul because they're both NSF.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one
I was ill the other week and decided to try and play through Revision. This was a mistake and my god it's awful. Regrets include "where's the end of this level?" (the catacombs are weirdly different for no reason) and "where's the character I have to talk to?" (they moved a building location, didn't change any apart from one bit of dialog to say to, all the others pointed to the previous location, then you had to find a "house number", except none of them were in any kind of order around the area).

It was disapointing.

I carried on, and got to the bit when you get to off Simons. This is pretty much impossible without cheating. With the super amped AI settings and crappo weapons, you can't fight him, you need a bit of an equaliser. As shown here:

Fun fact! I'd been saving those mines for a while and there were many. If he triggers them going into the cutscene, they blow during it, the screen fades to white and the game crashes immediately :D

I stopped playing then.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

How is this game 21 years old? Stupid time. Stop moving so fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Cross posting some gold