Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Unclouded posted:

New DLC announced Off The Grid. Comes out March 18th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5arzc7z3Ak

"Join Two Point County's ever-present Mayor, Tabitha Windsock as she campaigns for re-election using eco-friendly means as her main goal. You'll face new challenges from gameplay mechanics, illnesses and more in three brand new locations!"

Hmm, looks interesting. And they're promising illnesses that are wacky even for their standards.

But I admit, I feel slightly weird being excited for this game specifically, given the current events...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Torrannor posted:

Hmm, looks interesting. And they're promising illnesses that are wacky even for their standards.

But I admit, I feel slightly weird being excited for this game specifically, given the current events...

I immediately thought of coronavirus where the patient is turned into a beer bottle, but that's probably too touchy.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Also a mission where you have to build a hospital in a big open space as fast as possible.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Guy Axlerod posted:

Also a mission where you have to build a hospital in a big open space as fast as possible.

Pause disabled, patients start showing up in waves on day 14.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bumping this thread from the abyss to ask if anyone has a good controller profile for PC for this game?

I know it can be done since the game has console releases. I generally play this on my laptop and the touchpad makes it pretty finicky to actually play. I'm sure a mouse would be better, but I cant really do that when I'm laying in bed.

I have an XBONE controller I can use, but I cant find anything useful on google for controller setups.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Mouse is infinitely better than touchpad for this. Just get a magazine or book to use as mousepad when you’re in bed.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Bumping this thread from the abyss to ask if anyone has a good controller profile for PC for this game?

I know it can be done since the game has console releases. I generally play this on my laptop and the touchpad makes it pretty finicky to actually play. I'm sure a mouse would be better, but I cant really do that when I'm laying in bed.

I have an XBONE controller I can use, but I cant find anything useful on google for controller setups.

I've seen the request for this so much in the steam discussion threads. The problem is they rebuilt the console version from the ground up to work with a controller and they sacrificed components of the PC version to do it. I'd suggest getting a different mouse to play the game than trying to get a controller to work for the PC version. Alternatively you could always buy the Console version though I'd recommend against the Switch version since that has a staff cap of 75 on all hospitals (whereas I think the staff limit for PS4 and Xbox1 is 100 now).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ugh that sucks. I like the PC version because you can run workshop mods and the like.

I guess I’ll dig around and see if I have a Bluetooth mouse somewhere because somehow my trackpad is both too sensitive and not sensitive enough for this game.

I wish it had good touchscreen support because that would be a good middle ground between touchpad, mouse and game pad, but touchscreen support isn’t great either.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Actually consider a trackball, but probably not one of the Logitech but rather a Kensington.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
A shame, the console version plays absolutely beautifully with a controller.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

The Culture Shock DLC is out, though I haven't played it yet. Enjoying dipping back into TPH, it's a nice and calm game for me and I have all the other DLCs to catch up on first.

Spooky Mode reactivated today for Halloween. Its my first time playing with it on and I'm pleasantly surprised at all the subtle little changes it makes. Especially the music, which is one of my favorite parts of the game honestly.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

New DLC is pretty good so far (only done the first two hospitals). The first one has Roderick Cushion as a Celebrity Doctor and some of the objectives surround making him do various things. Second one is a shorter wave mission than usual where 3 stars is only 18 waves instead of the usual 20+. Overall more of the same but they did add in Blueprints over the summer so you can add existing rooms to a blueprint and then when building rooms in a different hospital simply select the new blueprint icon when selecting rooms and have that room completed already.

TL;DR: Good DLC and no having to remake the same GP's office at every hospital again.

Unclouded fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 28, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is it paid dlc or free?

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is it paid dlc or free?

Culture Shock is Paid DLC. Blueprints are Free DLC.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

If I were to just to get my feet wet trying this game for the first time, is the base title fine as is or is any of the DLC recommended to make the experience better?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Saoshyant posted:

If I were to just to get my feet wet trying this game for the first time, is the base title fine as is or is any of the DLC recommended to make the experience better?

There’s a lot in the base game to fiddle around with and play before you start getting bored (you might not even get bored!). Pebberly Island and Bigfoot are the DLC to get when you want to spice things up.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Much appreciated. I'll stick to the base game for now then and check the DLC later.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Much appreciated. I'll stick to the base game for now then and check the DLC later.

It's actually mentioned by the person evaluating you that the DLC missions are extracurricular in nature and often encourages you to "get back to work" aka the core game. Even if you've already completed the main storyline. The DLCs are if you want different challenges and are treated as their own thing but do have some unlockable items that can be used in other hospitals.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
The one thing that sucks (but is understandable) is that the new illnesses in each DLC only show up in the 3 hospitals of that DLC.

You can start a sandbox game, though that will throw all the base illnesses + DLC ones at you, for when you want a challenge after beating all the campaign.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

There’s new DLC out today! A Stitch in Time is apparently time travel based?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY7Ih80XNzs

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
That's kinda underwhelming?

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
Pretty much all the DLCs are three new hospitals, some new diseases, some new items, maybe a new cure room.
I've been happy enough to grab them as they come out and play another evening or three of content.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I've been the biggest fan of this series, but this DLC is nothing special. 3 new hospitals, but the gimmick of patients arriving through portals instead of walking in from the map isn't worth $10. It's the first one that hasn't held my interest to just blaze through.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Well finished the newest DLC. Feels weird compared to the rest to be honest. Only new building required Assisstants of all things. Overall it felt less than the usual DLC but I still feel I got my money's worth (also bought it for the early bird 10% off though).

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I've been playing this for about a month now and I always run into trouble after making my hospital pretty big. Is it possible to run a hospital where you've trained a bunch of your staff to their max level and not lose money each month? One of the appeals to me is training a bunch of my staff to be super specialized, but I'm hitting a hurdle when they outpace my income.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The trick is that diagnosis skill is everything. Focus your early training on getting a handful of doctors with high/maxed out GP skill and you’ll find things a lot easier. Diagnosis takes ages and doesn’t make much money, treatment makes all the real money so if a doctor can diagnose someone in their first trip to the GP office you’ll be making a lot more money.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

njsykora posted:

The trick is that diagnosis skill is everything. Focus your early training on getting a handful of doctors with high/maxed out GP skill and you’ll find things a lot easier. Diagnosis takes ages and doesn’t make much money, treatment makes all the real money so if a doctor can diagnose someone in their first trip to the GP office you’ll be making a lot more money.

That makes sense and I'll give it a go going forward. I finally passed Melt Downs where my issue was expanding too much. When I started sending home patients with Jest Infection, Light-Headedness, and Animal Magnetism I was able to keep making money and three-star it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah, not building treatment rooms and sending people home is one of those things that can make a difference early on as you're still getting the basics together. Mostly because the shiny new treatments in each area will often show up a few times early, but then become a bit uncommon until later so it's not worth the early investment.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

They've announced a new game! Two Point Campus!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_14i0Zxsfos

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The_Doctor posted:

I don't think I've ever built my own school. Railroads, amusement parks, cities, hospitals, houses for my sims, military bases, star systems, ships (both of the watery and the spacy kind), etc. But never schools. Guess I will be compelled to get this to complete my collection. But it's an interesting idea nonetheless. I really wonder how the gameplay loop will be in this, a school is quite different from a hospital.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, there seems to be lots of things going on there. Dorms, classrooms/lecture theatres, dining halls, janitors, professors’ offices, extra-curricular things, research depts, etc. That’s a lot of moving parts to manage.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Really looking forward to the new game! :D Looks like an interesting setting for sure.

Mike_V posted:

I've been playing this for about a month now and I always run into trouble after making my hospital pretty big. Is it possible to run a hospital where you've trained a bunch of your staff to their max level and not lose money each month? One of the appeals to me is training a bunch of my staff to be super specialized, but I'm hitting a hurdle when they outpace my income.

Few months late and it's kind of cheesy (so I'll spoiler), but if you set Diagnosis price to -100% and Treatment to +100% price (or some variation of) you can make mega profits. The reason it works is the patients are made so happy by their free diagnosis that they'll pay absurd amounts for their treatment (most of the time). Using this method at the end of Wave 42 of Topless Mountain I had 90%+ cure rate with $24 million in the bank. :laugh: My regular hospitals were usually $1mil+ in the green or close to that.

Edit: forgot to mention but if you do the above it'll tank your Reputation, so you'll have to build a Marketing room with 2-3 marketing assistants to offset it if you have a reputation objective.

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 13, 2021

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Fanatic posted:

Really looking forward to the new game! :D Looks like an interesting setting for sure.

Few months late and it's kind of cheesy (so I'll spoiler), but if you set Diagnosis price to -100% and Treatment to +100% price (or some variation of) you can make mega profits. The reason it works is the patients are made so happy by their free diagnosis that they'll pay absurd amounts for their treatment (most of the time). Using this method at the end of Wave 42 of Topless Mountain I had 90%+ cure rate with $24 million in the bank. :laugh: My regular hospitals were usually $1mil+ in the green or close to that.

lol topless mountain is where i tapped out and never looked back. I was humming for a while but then it all started falling apart (constant natural disasters are not a fun or interesting gameplay element for me)

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Mike_V posted:

lol topless mountain is where i tapped out and never looked back. I was humming for a while but then it all started falling apart (constant natural disasters are not a fun or interesting gameplay element for me)

The good thing about Topless is that patients always pay the treatment cost regardless of their happiness. So you can safely crank it to +100% and build & hire everything you need then just hit fast-forward for the last bulk of the waves. :cool:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've got a friend who actually managed to three star the underfunded public hospital scenario. The letter you get for that literally just reads 'Congratulations. Now go do something else.'

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I 3-starred that scenario as well and can confirm, it was not a good use of the afternoon.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Fanatic posted:

Edit: forgot to mention but if you do the above it'll tank your Reputation, so you'll have to build a Marketing room with 2-3 marketing assistants to offset it if you have a reputation objective.

I can't seem to lower the prices below -80%, but doing what you said with -80% diagnostics and +80% treatment has made money a non-factor.

My reputation actually didn't fall when I did this, but it only seemed to rise from doing special events. That's not a huge deal on scenarios with no reputation requirement, since at max rep I usually get more patients than my hospital can handle at any given time.

Slavik
May 10, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Yes! All the way back to the late 90's I thought a Theme School or a Theme Mall game would make an excellent follow up to Theme Hospital, especially with that kind of humour style. Going to be looking very forward to this. Maybe a cafeteria will be useful in this one.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

WhiteHowler posted:

I can't seem to lower the prices below -80%, but doing what you said with -80% diagnostics and +80% treatment has made money a non-factor.

My reputation actually didn't fall when I did this, but it only seemed to rise from doing special events. That's not a huge deal on scenarios with no reputation requirement, since at max rep I usually get more patients than my hospital can handle at any given time.

Yeah, the weird thing is that high reputation is usually more trouble than it's worth because if it's too high then you end up swamped by patients, whereas at 0 reputation it's kept at a manageable amount. :psyduck:

Will be interesting to see if they rebalance things in the next game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I was just about to ask what DLC I should get, but I'm gathering that I don't actually need any of it until I get through the main campaign?