Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Miss Hokusai is a movie about a pair of historical painters, a grumpy old man and his daughter, who works as an assistant for him and sometimes helps him fulfill commissions, all without ever signing her name to anything. There's not really a huge arc to it, it's just snippets of their lives - there's a handful of sequences that are a bit fantastical, but it's ambiguous whether anything fantastical is actually happening or if the characters are just imagining it - the daughter was fairly spiritual going by historical accounts of her, and several of the father's most famous paintings explored Buddhist themes, so it feels more like an attempt to get that across than anything. The characters are all pretty well-realized, as is the historical setting, and at ninety minutes it's a pretty easy watch. Recommend it.

Even if you've never heard hokusai's name, you've absolutely seen his most famous work, The Great Wave,

so it's interesting from that perspective, too.

I'm also pretty sure it's on Netflix?

Endorph fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jun 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Malsangoroth posted:

Speaking of Rakugo, I've got a relative into anime and Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is one of her favorites. Her other favorites are Nodame Cantabile, Yuri on Ice, Ping Pong, Hyouge Mono and (of all things!) Kaiji. She gravitates towards (grounded) historical stuff, anime that don't have a high school setting, and anything about the appreciation of the arts. Accordingly, Hyouge Mono is probably her absolute favorite. Any ideas on anime to recommend to her next?

Most of these are josei, ie anime aimed at adult women. This one is highschool, but Chihayafuru is about poetry/sports josei and would probably be a great fit with the rest of the request. An anime adaptation of the poems they play with in Chihayafuru is Utakoi. For the art of cinema, check out Millennium Actress

Honey and Clover is a romance josei set in arts college, also set in college with a fair amount of artsy stuff is the seinen (ie for adult men, like hyouge mono) The Tatami Galaxy and its movie spinoff. Set partly in high school, Beck follows a band through their entire career.

For the historical part, Emma: A Victorian Romance is a seinen romance set in Victorian england, I didn't like season 2, maybe she does. In This Corner of the World was a very popular recent historical film, Miss Hokusai is a film about a historical Ukiuyo-e artist. Fairly grounded with the exception of the titular wolf, Spice and Wolf might also be worth checking out once she's seen the rest. If she can find it, the obscure ova Tsuki ga Noboru made ni is also a good choice.

Not realistic at all, but historical and focused on art she might want to check out Spring and Chaos, a semi biographical movie, with cats, of the great japanese artist Kenji Miyazawa's life

Note that none of these will reach the heights of Hyouge Mono, but that's a level that's very hard to reach

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

If she's ok with manga, Blue Period is a late high school/early university series all about art and the artistic process which earned a lot of awards and deserves every one. It's also getting an anime soon.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mushi shi kinda might fit that vibe. Worth looking into at least.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Barakomon is mostly SoL stuff, but it is about a wound up Calligraphy ace looking for inspiration outside of perfecting the basics and "proper" style.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

If she's okay with an ancient anime she might enjoy Ashita no Joe. It's not historical but it's so of it's time that it works as one viewed today. It's about boxing but it's not a sports anime as commonly understood, the main character doesn't even enter a boxing ring for almost an entire season and doesn't become a pro boxer until over 26 episodes pass, and the character relationships are the focus to the end. If legal access is important the first movie compiling the first season is available on RetroCrush and the second season is available on Crunchyroll in the United States

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Malsangoroth posted:

Speaking of Rakugo, I've got a relative into anime and Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is one of her favorites. Her other favorites are Nodame Cantabile, Yuri on Ice, Ping Pong, Hyouge Mono and (of all things!) Kaiji. She gravitates towards (grounded) historical stuff, anime that don't have a high school setting, and anything about the appreciation of the arts. Accordingly, Hyouge Mono is probably her absolute favorite. Any ideas on anime to recommend to her next?

She would probably like Violet Evergarden. It's pure fictional history, but is grounded and has a lot of the heavy emotional beats the other things you list have.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kids on the Slope hits the grounded historical setting and arts appreciation points (music)

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Thanks for the recs all! She's actually seen a good amount of the suggestions, but Blue Period sounds like something right up her alley. Kids on the Slope, Beck, and Utakoi both sound like great ways to tide her over until the aforementioned anime hits. Honey and Clover, Spring and Chaos, and Emma are both decent odds, too. Ashita no Joe is a maybe, the production values of 70s anime in general are a difficult sell but if she can get invested enough to hit the ending I think she'd love it.

Davincie posted:

Most of these are josei, ie anime aimed at adult women. This one is highschool, but Chihayafuru is about poetry/sports josei and would probably be a great fit with the rest of the request.

Haha, that's what I thought too! She really enjoyed it! ...Up until the cliffhanger ending, which she ranked as one of the worst endings of all time! Apparently she was rooting for Taichi and Chihaya to get together, and the place they left off was the worst possible stopping point in that regard.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Malsangoroth posted:

Honey and Clover, Spring and Chaos, and Emma are both decent odds, too.

If she ends up enjoying Honey and Clover, then also check out March Comes in like a Lion by the same author.

Malsangoroth posted:

Haha, that's what I thought too! She really enjoyed it! ...Up until the cliffhanger ending

Hopefully Chihayafuru gets more seasons, there's plenty more manga source material to adapt!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not so much a request for anime recs as much as a request for artists. I want to look up some cool robot designers. Not mecha designers per se, but robots. Stuff like Shinji Aramaki exosuit designs or Yoji Shinkawa's mechanical design for the Metal Gear games. I had a sudden urge to sketch some robitz and I'm looking for some more inspiration.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
masami obari

tohru nakayama

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Colonel posted:

masami obari

tohru nakayama

Lol Masami Obari. He is the most "extra" designer I've ever seen. I kinda love him.

What has Nakayama worked on?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the mega man zero games. they have some cool character designs that are pretty different from the x and zx series

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the mavericks in the zero games are awesome. the artstyle gets a lot of flak for the "titanium underpants" style of a lot of the humanoid reploids but I think it's a great artstyle, even if I'm more of a fan of the X series style. it's certainly varied. Maha Ganeshariff the rollin' elephant ball might be my favorite of the lot

but they're all great. Flipping through a bunch of them now and there's a lot of really great designs. And if you kill them with the Z-Saber, it bisects'em so you see what's inside them too.

the story was always incredibly bleak, from what I remember. I never played 3 or 4(could never find'em and then lost my GBA) but I remember looking up how things went in those and the Guardians all dying from the final boss of 3's explosion and then Zero himself dying while taking down the boss of 4 was a hell of a way to end the series.

man those games were hard as hell, real fun and a welcome change from the normal jump-and-shootman style of classic/X.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Arcsquad12 posted:

Not so much a request for anime recs as much as a request for artists. I want to look up some cool robot designers. Not mecha designers per se, but robots. Stuff like Shinji Aramaki exosuit designs or Yoji Shinkawa's mechanical design for the Metal Gear games. I had a sudden urge to sketch some robitz and I'm looking for some more inspiration.

Toshiharu Murata He did mechanical design for various things, including You're Under Arrest OVAs and TV, Aah My Godess! TV and Movie, Popolocrois Story, Ex-Driver, Gad Guard, and Getbackers. He also has a slew of credits for character design (burn up scramble, eat man, Hellsing) key animation (Patlabor the Movie, Midnight Eye Gokuu II, Berserk Film I and II, various individual episodes from many series) and animation directing (episode director on various episodes of irresponsible captain Tylor, Shadow Skill, Hellsing, Bersek Film I and III)

They even have a book dedicated to drawing automobiles
https://www.amazon.com/TOSHIHARU-ANIMATION-REFERENCE-AUTOMOBILES-Japanese/dp/490294829X

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I posted something like this in the chat thread too but it got swallowed up in the conversation so here goes:

I recently rewatched Shirobako. I have a very strong memory of a scene where the protagonist visits an animator that works from home, recieves the cuts from them and then counts the cuts in front of them. The protagonist later learns that that's a rude thing to do. However, there was no such scene in the show when I rewatched it. I have such strong memory of the scene I don't think I dreamed it up but the only other anime about making anime I remember watching is Eizouken, and it definitely isn't from there. Does anyone know which anime this scene is from?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

animation runner kuromi
episode 7 of hackadoll

probably the first of these

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
is there a recommended watch order for the monogatari series? i was just going to watch them in the order they came out, but i heard that maybe the movies should be slotted in earlier? i have no fear of a nonlinear narrative for what it's worth.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

release order for the tv series. kizumonogatari movies are a prequel story and can be watched whenever

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Big Leg posted:

is there a recommended watch order for the monogatari series? i was just going to watch them in the order they came out, but i heard that maybe the movies should be slotted in earlier? i have no fear of a nonlinear narrative for what it's worth.

I would say start with Bakemonogatari (make sure you don't miss episode 13-15, some streaming services don't have the rights to those 3 eps), then the 3 kizumonogatari movies (which are a prequel), and then the rest in release order starting with Nisemonogatari.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Tales of Woe posted:

release order for the tv series. kizumonogatari movies are a prequel story and can be watched whenever

Julias posted:

I would say start with Bakemonogatari (make sure you don't miss episode 13-15, some streaming services don't have the rights to those 3 eps), then the 3 kizumonogatari movies (which are a prequel), and then the rest in release order starting with Nisemonogatari.

:cheersdoge:

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Droyer posted:

I posted something like this in the chat thread too but it got swallowed up in the conversation so here goes:

I recently rewatched Shirobako. I have a very strong memory of a scene where the protagonist visits an animator that works from home, recieves the cuts from them and then counts the cuts in front of them. The protagonist later learns that that's a rude thing to do. However, there was no such scene in the show when I rewatched it. I have such strong memory of the scene I don't think I dreamed it up but the only other anime about making anime I remember watching is Eizouken, and it definitely isn't from there. Does anyone know which anime this scene is from?

You sure it wasn't one of Taro's scenes? I vaguely remember something like that happening.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Malsangoroth posted:

You sure it wasn't one of Taro's scenes? I vaguely remember something like that happening.

We never follow Taro to meet an animator outside the studio.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I've been reading #DRCL and it's reignited my love of spooky stuff, recommend me some recent spooky stuff!

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
have there been any yuri animes in the vein of Citrus in the last few years? have a soft spot for that style but haven't seen any news on anything noteworthy

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bloom Into You is pretty good, less melodramatic and more understated then Citrus mainly, though it does have its moments. Also you have to read the manga to get the rest of the story as usual.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Fauxbot posted:

have there been any yuri animes in the vein of Citrus in the last few years? have a soft spot for that style but haven't seen any news on anything noteworthy

It's not anime, but I'll never miss a chance to recommend Tadokoro-san.

Edit: Inugami-san and Nekoyama-san, Don't Become and Otaku Shinosaki-san, Yumeguri Yurimeguri, Hana ni Arashi, Hino-san no Baka.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 12, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fauxbot posted:

Kase-san was an ova but was pretty alright

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I enjoyed the Fragtime OVA well enough.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

KillerQueen posted:

I've been reading #DRCL and it's reignited my love of spooky stuff, recommend me some recent spooky stuff!

hasnt been much new horror manga translated afaik, but i've made several horror rec posts in this thread

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
thanks for the yuri recs everyone! gives me a good list to check out

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Fauxbot posted:

thanks for the yuri recs everyone! gives me a good list to check out

There's also GGWP Young Ladies Don't Play Fighting Games which I believe is getting an Anime soon.

https://mangakakalot.com/chapter/ev923511/chapter_1

The first chapter needs to be experienced.

Kine-san Cinema isn't Yuri per se, but it has a lot of subtext and it's so good that I will not pass on a chance to rec it.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 13, 2021

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like luminous=blue

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Davincie posted:

animation runner kuromi
episode 7 of hackadoll

probably the first of these

It was indeed Animation Runner Kuromi, thank you

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

So I found out a theatre friend of mine and I both watched Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine separately and we both loved it. We wanna watch another sexy arthouse anime together, but I don't know what to go for. I'd love to show him Utena at some point, but that's a little bit of a slow burn and kind of 90s, so I'm thinking of holding off on that one for now. Any suggestions?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Blue Labrador posted:

So I found out a theatre friend of mine and I both watched Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine separately and we both loved it. We wanna watch another sexy arthouse anime together, but I don't know what to go for. I'd love to show him Utena at some point, but that's a little bit of a slow burn and kind of 90s, so I'm thinking of holding off on that one for now. Any suggestions?

Time to Yuasa-pill your friend and show him Tatami Galaxy or Kaiba.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Srice posted:

Time to Yuasa-pill your friend and show him Tatami Galaxy or Kaiba.

Oh poo poo, Tatami Galaxy is my favorite anime of all time, but my friends aren't sub watchers and I'm scared they'll be put off by the speed lmao. I actually haven't watched Kaiba myself, so maybe I'll see if Tatami works out, and if not, switch to Kaiba.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

As much as I absolutely loved Tatami and Ping Pong I just can't seem to get into Kaiba. Never made it halfway through an ep yet really. I need to give it another try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there's even sexy Yuasa out there, though not really considered his peak: Kemonozume and Devilman Crybaby

there's also Mind Game which is amazing