Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
A cicada landed on Biden at an airport thing and because Americans are big stupid babies it was Big News for a couple of days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
oh that was it? lame

cicadas are freaky and huge anyone who isn't used to being covered in bugs would freak out for a sec. reminds me of an article read on chapo dissing biden once

biden had said he had a black friend and camping worker who helped him work black districts while he was running and biden claimed he had been told by this guy that he "shouldn't be surprised if he's served a drink in a Mason jar (or old glass peanut butter container or whatever) and to ignore it if bugs were crawling all over his constituents" as it being poor means you have so little dignity that you're fine with being a living bug colony

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/PulitzerPrizes/status/1403400043357519874

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

cant wait for the next kelly lol

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

yeah way to represent your audience as an annoying but insignificant and powerless pest, lmao

Ben just isn't the same without his muse & adonis

a bunch of these idiots called themselves millipedes for a while, but not just that, they shortened it to ‘pedes’

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Love the bugs doing nazi salutes in the upper corner, very cool.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

cumshitter posted:

biden had said he had a black friend and camping worker who helped him work black districts while he was running and biden claimed he had been told by this guy that he "shouldn't be surprised if he's served a drink in a Mason jar (or old glass peanut butter container or whatever) and to ignore it if bugs were crawling all over his constituents" as it being poor means you have so little dignity that you're fine with being a living bug colony

those two things are so far apart, lmao. you might have to drink out of a mason jar. also your host will be the boogie woogie man from nightmare before christmas.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

depending who you talk to, this is either because none of the finalists publish in newspapers or because none of the finalists were conservative white men

ruben bolling was a finalist and he's kicked rear end for years

https://www.pulitzer.org/finalists/ken-fisher-drawing-ruben-bolling-tom-dancing-bug-andrews-mcmeel-syndicate

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

was ramirez unable to find time to throw together a cartoon with a starving african child labeled "poverty"

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
the people nominating finalists and the people choosing the winner are different. last year they ignored the finalists and chose their own winner.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013
The finalists were Ruben Bolling, Lalo Alcaraz and Marty Two Bulls. All three of them are at least pretty good (which puts them in the top 0.1% of political cartoonists).

If there is some rule that says only people who get published in papers can win the award, I feel like the Pulitzer guys should let their nominators know, since they have been nominating online-only cartoonists for years.

At the end of the day, any award that Ramirez has won multiple times is obviously dogshit, and hopefully the nominees feel the same way.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
We should reach across the aisle to the d&d thread and give the Goon Pulitzer to Marty 2B. He deserves it imo.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

tokin opposition posted:

We should reach across the aisle to the d&d thread and give the Goon Pulitzer to Marty 2B. He deserves it imo.

maybe shoot Marty an email and ask if there's any charity he'd like to promote? i know there's a no touching the poop rule but this would be the opposite i guess

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

lol

i was really hoping the punchline would be that he’s still a nazi at the end but alas

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

b_d posted:

lol

i was really hoping the punchline would be that he’s still a nazi at the end but alas

cumshitter has issued a correction as of 13:20 on Jun 12, 2021

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
someone more talented than me do what this comic did and change all the text to match. be sure to get the doink doink

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Really hate to be reminded that Zen Pencils exist and that the guy making the dril pencils edits stopped the moment the zp artist complained.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
FAGS AND
MUSLIMS
STILL IN
AMERICA

kills me every time

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

lol yes nazis just need to travel and everything will be fine

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Twain quote itself was probably fine, like if that guy had traveled the world and experienced culture when he was young he'd probably be less of a Nazi

But the zen pencils interpretation is idiotic because he's already a Nazi and a billion years old and if he traveled he'd just spend the whole trip sitting by the pool making the other tourists uncomfortable with how mad he got at the employees

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Imagine what a better place the world would be if only Europeans traveled more in the 18th century.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I get that goons are grumpy and cynical but isn't there a kernel of truth to it? That people that are more willing to step outside their comfort zone are less likely to be bigots? Innuendo studios had talked about how the alt right pipeline gets people this way - by radicalizing people already somewhat alienated and isolated by their own bigotry and fear and just amplifying it.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
most of the people I know who went to Africa were dumb bigots on missionary trips and came back functionally identical in their outlook on Africa. Most of the people I know who studied abroad came back with a newfound awareness of the gypsy problem. HOW you travel is more important than traveling. Like 80% of traveling is looking at cool rocks and loving someone with a funny accent. There's no enlightenment coming from either of those things really. Half the bigoted goblins in DC have foreign wives.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

have any of them ever actually met gypsies or do they just uncritically absorb the random unprompted negative remarks people make about them

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Panfilo posted:

I get that goons are grumpy and cynical but isn't there a kernel of truth to it? That people that are more willing to step outside their comfort zone are less likely to be bigots? Innuendo studios had talked about how the alt right pipeline gets people this way - by radicalizing people already somewhat alienated and isolated by their own bigotry and fear and just amplifying it.

This interpretation has a correlation vs causation issue imo

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Panfilo posted:

it's less that "goons are grumpy and cynical" and more that "liberalism promotes dangerously glib bullshit like this comic"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

yeah tbh the narrative that all societal ills are caused by individual habits and can be solved by changing everyone's individual habits en masse is a dangerously pointless and obtuse viewpoint IMO, especially when the individual habit in question is as financially inaccessible to most racists as "take a big long trip around the world, for like three months or some poo poo"

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Dangerously pointless describes zen pencils pretty well

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Remember the Rodney King beating and afterwards, he said "Can't we all just get along?" and racism and police violence went away? yeah like that

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Perfect

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
Coulda sworn I saw a not-an-edit version of that comic earlier in this thread where everywhere he went was already multicultural and he came back still a bigot. The message being that segregation is good.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Caithness posted:

Coulda sworn I saw a not-an-edit version of that comic earlier in this thread where everywhere he went was already multicultural and he came back still a bigot. The message being that segregation is good.

I've seen this also. I wasn't sure if it was an edit or not, but the style matched up pretty well.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

ZZZZZ!
TWIDDLE TWIDDLE!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Imagine what a better place the world would be if only Europeans traveled more in the 18th century.

lmao

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

loquacius posted:

yeah tbh the narrative that all societal ills are caused by individual habits and can be solved by changing everyone's individual habits en masse is a dangerously pointless and obtuse viewpoint IMO, especially when the individual habit in question is as financially inaccessible to most racists as "take a big long trip around the world, for like three months or some poo poo"
Except I wasn't just talking about travel, I was talking about stepping outside their comfort zone. Why do you think anti intellectualism goes hand in hand with far right ideology? The far right people I know don't give a gently caress about what happens outside their tiny circle, much less the opinions or experiences of people from outside that bubble.

How would you get a guy like the one in the cartoon to stop being a white supremacist? Didn't a group of college students manage to deradicalize some grand wizards son simply by inviting him to join them for Shabbat?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

... is that a serious post?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Panfilo posted:

Except I wasn't just talking about travel, I was talking about stepping outside their comfort zone. Why do you think anti intellectualism goes hand in hand with far right ideology? The far right people I know don't give a gently caress about what happens outside their tiny circle, much less the opinions or experiences of people from outside that bubble.

How would you get a guy like the one in the cartoon to stop being a white supremacist? Didn't a group of college students manage to deradicalize some grand wizards son simply by inviting him to join them for Shabbat?

Derek Black and he was well on his way to deradicalization back when me and a black girl he liked helped him form a German Club at pbcc. I'm not sure exactly what started him on the path but the Shabbat stuff at the university was just a sort of the nice media narrative of "i've finally opened my eyes because of this one cinematic feelgood thing" instead of what was a probably long internal process. And also getting independent enough of his family that coming out as Not Racist didn't end up with him on the street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

There was an alt right edit of this back in the day that just repeats the 7th panel implying every country is dirty and full of dark skinned people and at the end he's still a nazi