Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The transporter and replicator systems get mixed up, O’Brien rematerializes as a human shaped chili golem that immediately collapses onto the transporter pad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"What we got back didn't last long. We were all pretty hungry and Dave made nachos."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Strom Cuzewon posted:

My personal head-canon is that Starfleet is held together by an extensive black market of people programming and trading replicator recipes. Probably with incredibly long preambles "ohh I learnt this recipe on a trip to an Andorian spice-freighter, it was given to me by a yadda yadda yadda"

This is why there’s about 6 different bajoran dishes, all called hasperat.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

HD DAD posted:

The transporter and replicator systems get mixed up, O’Brien rematerializes as a human shaped chili golem that immediately collapses onto the transporter pad

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

That awful teaser trailer released in December 2015 didn't help matters at all, and it did nothing to quell the "lol the fast and furious guy is making this one" sentiment, either.

Doubtful. All three Kelvin movies had their budgets significantly offset by product placement.

Was that before ore after 5 and 6? I mean clearly everyone should have been onboard since he gave us Tokyo Drift anyway,

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Prokosch posted:

In my head canon the computer remembers your preferences and people who serve on starships and eat replicated food every day spend a bunch of free time tweaking the recipes. This conflicts with Picard always having to specify Earl Grey and the temperature though. The computer should know which tea he wants if he doesn't specify. Maybe he's just weird and never bothered to program the thing, like people who don't use bookmarks and just Google for their email every day.

They don't taste "right" though because like people are saying even with crazy future technology you can't make a hamburger, fries and milkshake that perfectly fits your nutrition needs and also tastes like the version with 800% of your recommended daily fat.

Picard absolutely goes to Google dot com and types in "Yahoo email" and "Starfleet" a couple times a day.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Josh Christ posted:

Picard absolutely goes to Google dot com and types in "Yahoo email" and "Starfleet" a couple times a day.

*--Clicks the link in an Iconian spam email--*

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Josh Christ posted:

Maybe he drinks earl blue lukewarm while reading?

Also, not only is farting cured, pooping is replaced by transporters. Peeing is optional. "Computer, empty my bladder".

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Computer, beam the contents of the crew's bowels directly to the romulan ship's bridge

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tighclops posted:

Computer, beam the contents of the crew's bowels directly to the romulan ship's bridge

"Subcommander, look, some baggies full of felicium."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
A reminder that basically every food item that comes out of the replicator is like 90% reconstituted urine and feces mixed with some spare base proteins from a tank somewhere in the bowels of the ship.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The replicator is one of those technologies that gets invented to make some scene slightly more convenient to write that then becomes a burden to all writing so that it either needs to be on the fritz or incapable of making some things to keep some plots going or all characters need to to hate it in order to make them sympathetic to some basic elements of the human experience instead of weird zombies.

Which maybe they should've initially characterized the technology as more limited to make everything work more smoothly instead of expressing it as perfect in every way and only later coming up with excuses, but it's the spirit of Star Trek to make everything the best thing that could ever be because the sky is the limit and we're already in the sky and only later cobble together some way to tell a story with limits. I guess there's similar problems with the transporter, but that mostly just concerns dumb philosophical nerds as opposed to alienating everyone who cares about their food.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

My personal head-canon is that Starfleet is held together by an extensive black market of people programming and trading replicator recipes. Probably with incredibly long preambles "ohh I learnt this recipe on a trip to an Andorian spice-freighter, it was given to me by a yadda yadda yadda"

DS9 sort of implies this is true of the holodecks

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

nine-gear crow posted:

A reminder that basically every food item that comes out of the replicator is like 90% reconstituted urine and feces mixed with some spare base proteins from a tank somewhere in the bowels of the ship.

Yeah but at least they horseglue it together unless your name is Miles O'Brian.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

The replicator is one of those technologies that gets invented to make some scene slightly more convenient to write that then becomes a burden to all writing so that it either needs to be on the fritz or incapable of making some things to keep some plots going or all characters need to to hate it in order to make them sympathetic to some basic elements of the human experience instead of weird zombies.

Which maybe they should've initially characterized the technology as more limited to make everything work more smoothly instead of expressing it as perfect in every way and only later coming up with excuses, but it's the spirit of Star Trek to make everything the best thing that could ever be because the sky is the limit and we're already in the sky and only later cobble together some way to tell a story with limits. I guess there's similar problems with the transporter, but that mostly just concerns dumb philosophical nerds as opposed to alienating everyone who cares about their food.
I know Ira Steven Behr hated the replicators, even saying that replicators would be the one element of the setting he'd drop in a heartbeat if he could. I think he even went so far as to say that "any society that relies on replicators is a dead, finished society", so make of that what you will.

nine-gear crow posted:

So does food in real life; it just takes a few more steps.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Josh Christ posted:

Was that before ore after 5 and 6? I mean clearly everyone should have been onboard since he gave us Tokyo Drift anyway,

Definitely after Fast Five and I believe Fast 6.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

nine-gear crow posted:

If you think about it so is everything you eat except it goes through a plant and possibly an animal first instead of a replicator.

Marshal Radisic posted:

So does food in real life; it just takes a few more steps.

In other words, this.

I teach environmental science and I have a few students every year who get weirded out by the idea that over a few billion years every molecule of water has been there, done that over and over again. I had one this year say "Well, I'll just drink Coke then!" thinking that she'd found some kind of loophole in the water cycle.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 12, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Replicators seem way less complicated than transporters. Transporters are always used as a crutch on various series to write your way out of a problem.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Marshal Radisic posted:

I know Ira Steven Behr hated the replicators, even saying that replicators would be the one element of the setting he'd drop in a heartbeat if he could. I think he even went so far as to say that "any society that relies on replicators is a dead, finished society", so make of that what you will.
Sounds like a Maquis sympathizer. We don't have to fabricate our own screws, nails and self-sealing stem bolts any more, Ira, have we all died? I hear they're digging rocks out of the ground and wasting good wood to melt them into some kind of heathen shiny fake stone, too, instead of knapping flints like the eagle-spirit intended.

I think the replicator did just show up as a development of the 'food synthesizer' and it's clearly been very evocative to a bunch of people, and it isn't like the concept didn't basically exist in other contexts -- the Known Space series had the same technology (the same machine gives a human a gourmet Hot Pocket and a large carnivore a chunk of warm meat). I do think it was perhaps limiting to tie it in to the transporters as tightly as they did, even if it did look cool.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Replicators seem way less complicated than transporters. Transporters are always used as a crutch on various series to write your way out of a problem.
My pedantic nerd solution would be to have the transporter be an induced space warp of some kind and have the replicator be some kind of molecular-level 3D printer. You retain the original purposes of the technologies while removing the 'well why don't they just' factor.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

The concept was literally invented because Bob Justman realized that the cost of filming a shuttlecraft landing for every episode would blow the show's budget wide open, so he suggested it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

HD DAD posted:

O'Brien to Sisko

Sisko: Go ahead chief

O'Brien: You're gonna want to come up to ops and see this sir

(Sisko goes to ops)

O'Brien: I turned myself into a pickle, Benji!

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

Definitely after Fast Five and I believe Fast 6.

"A guy who made the best sports movie of the 21st century and one of the best action movies in the last decade, is doing star trek???? Sounds lame, and probably gay" - someone in 2000whatever

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I wish it was gay. I mean, sure, 5 seconds of Sulu and husband. But it could be gayer.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

I wish it was gay. I mean, sure, 5 seconds of Sulu and husband. But it could be gayer.

George Takei throwing the mother of all shitfits about that brief bit in Beyond was the most ridiculous poo poo and cemented my belief that he's an incredible attention whore.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SlothfulCobra posted:

If anything I get the impression that the replicators were intended to make certain plots untenable and try to drive the show away from them; see also the specific callout in the TNG writers' guide where they say that dilithium crystals being broken/depleted shall no longer be a viable plot point because all Starfleet ships can now recrystalize them in the field or something like that.

Obviously that didn't wind up working as intended - see ridiculous bits like "oh we can replicate most blood, except for the pointy-ear dudes who are only a few thousand years separated from the other pointy-ear dudes we have on the ship, because that would be inconvenient to the subplot of Worf refusing to donate blood" - but given enough motivation, just about any rule becomes breakable.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Lemniscate Blue posted:

If you think about it so is everything you eat except it goes through a plant and possibly an animal first instead of a replicator.

In other words, this.

I teach environmental science and I have a few students every year who get weirded out by the idea that over a few billion years every molecule of water has been there, done that over and over again. I had one this year say "Well, I'll just drink Coke then!" thinking that she'd found some kind of loophole in the water cycle.

Yeah I love to say that the water we drink could have been dinosaur piss in the distant past.

I'm guessing you pointed out that the primary ingredient in Coke is water? :haw:

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
How come Mirror Bareil is wearing the earring but doesn't know of the Bajoran religion? Isn't that to do with pagh etc?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bullbar posted:

How come Mirror Bareil is wearing the earring but doesn't know of the Bajoran religion? Isn't that to do with pagh etc?
He just thought it looked cool

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Bullbar posted:

I noticed the Cardassian teenager Rugal who was being raised by a Bajoran family wore the earring too, which suggests they're raising him as a full Bajoran, despite the rumours of abuse by that one suspiciously-convenient bystander. Mind you, do we ever see any Bajorans without the earring once it was established? Maybe it started as religious and now it's a cultural thing.

Thinking about Keevan. Sure he was a bastard but at least he realised 'wait this is all bullshit' and found a way out. And then the Ferengi ruined everything, but he tried.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Bullbar posted:

The Intendant and other mirror Bajorans also wear them - I'm not sure it's ever confirmed that they're a religious symbol. They do serve as caste and family markers, so there's some secular meaning to them too.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

HopperUK posted:

I noticed the Cardassian teenager Rugal who was being raised by a Bajoran family wore the earring too, which suggests they're raising him as a full Bajoran, despite the rumours of abuse by that one suspiciously-convenient bystander. Mind you, do we ever see any Bajorans without the earring once it was established? Maybe it started as religious and now it's a cultural thing.

Thinking about Keevan. Sure he was a bastard but at least he realised 'wait this is all bullshit' and found a way out. And then the Ferengi ruined everything, but he tried.

A couple of Jake's bajoran dates don't wear the earring, for example the lady he is seeing in "It's only a paper moon"

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess there's similar problems with the transporter, but that mostly just concerns dumb philosophical nerds as opposed to alienating everyone who cares about their food.

Speaking of transports, I watched Tomorrow is Yesterday and I still don't understand why transporting the guys back would erase their memories. Or did they kill one copy of the USAF guys?

Also lol at how careful Kirk was with the timeline vs the TNG crew with Cochrane. The TOS crew pulled off this complicated time warp maneuver to erase evidence of themselves, meanwhile Crusher doesn't even bother using Dr. Pulaski's technique on Zefram Cochrane and he drunkenly rants about the Borg to half the galaxy. Even Seven knows that dude saw an Enterprise from the future.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Timby posted:

George Takei throwing the mother of all shitfits about that brief bit in Beyond was the most ridiculous poo poo and cemented my belief that he's an incredible attention whore.
I'd not heard this. That's incredibly disappointing, though I'd long abandoned his social media for being fatphobic as gently caress.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

George Takei played Sulu as straight and was proud of his performance, so he didn't like when they made the character gay because he felt it invalidated the way he performed the character. He's like "I'm gay. Sulu isn't."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I kind of agree with Takei there. Retconning Sulu as gat because Takei is gay seems to be on its face a tribute, but it also fits into the stereotype that gay actors can't play straight characters. Also, i don't think he threw a shitfit. He said he was unhappy with the decision, and if Star Trek wanted to honor him and recognize gay people, they should create an original gay character, which they've finally done in Discovery.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Marx Headroom posted:

Speaking of transports, I watched Tomorrow is Yesterday and I still don't understand why transporting the guys back would erase their memories. Or did they kill one copy of the USAF guys?

Also lol at how careful Kirk was with the timeline vs the TNG crew with Cochrane. The TOS crew pulled off this complicated time warp maneuver to erase evidence of themselves, meanwhile Crusher doesn't even bother using Dr. Pulaski's technique on Zefram Cochrane and he drunkenly rants about the Borg to half the galaxy. Even Seven knows that dude saw an Enterprise from the future.

They didn't even take out the Borg in the past, archer had to do that, but not before they got a message off.
It's really funny that after meeting the Borg, Archer is like "you know, Zephram Cochrane spoke of a human/machine enemy that travelled back in time, assimilated people, and tried to stop my first flight, but luckily a team of humans from the future also travelled back to save me" and Tpols response is
"Zephram Cochrane was a crazy old drunk"

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Related to replicator chat:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Terror Sweat posted:

They didn't even take out the Borg in the past, archer had to do that, but not before they got a message off.
It's really funny that after meeting the Borg, Archer is like "you know, Zephram Cochrane spoke of a human/machine enemy that travelled back in time, assimilated people, and tried to stop my first flight, but luckily a team of humans from the future also travelled back to save me" and Tpols response is
"Zephram Cochrane was a crazy old drunk"

Well, she's not wrong...

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away