Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What E3 announcement are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Star Citizen suddenly released 14 6.36%
Nintendo unveils the Switch Pro, Metroid Prime 4 is exclusive 27 12.27%
Bethesda announces Fallout 5, Todd somehow entirely forgets about Elder Scrolls 6 and is surprised to be asked about it by interviewers 32 14.55%
Bowsette is real and thinks you're doing okay 121 55.00%
Square Enix retroactively cancels your least favorite Final Fantasy game 26 11.82%
Total: 220 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Arsicks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I have been on these forums for like 11 years now and I still love to see people surprised that not everyone has the same tastes as them.

Anyway, I'm shocked From Soft is still making vaguely soulsborneish games instead of armored core.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Speaking of mechs, saw that they invented a MechWarrior 5 today. Anyone played it, any good? I watched one video of it and it looked exactly how I remember Ghost Bear Legacy looking then I watched a video of Ghost Bear Legacy and it looked so much worse. Don't got a joystick and don't plan on buying one, is it still the kind of thing that will suck without one?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Got groceries today to do some actual effort cooking, will post updates starting Monday. I think a lot of cooking advice/shows are really funny because it has no idea what level of cooking experience the average American has. I remember seeing some Food Network survey that is like, less than 5% of people who watch the shows actually try recipes at home and they were surprised by that because so many of their recipes are focused on being easy and quick with things you already have in your kitchen. Meanwhile I'm reading a recipe list thinking to myself "I've never even seen raw garlic in real life before you think I have any of this stuff just sitting around in my house?" So I had to do a bit of investment into finding some recipes that had a fair amount of ingredient overlap so I wouldnt have to buy a million spices and stuff like that

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My buddy gave me his PS4 and God of War today. Game’s pretty good!

I realized that I only ever looked at the PS4 as a means to play GoW, Bloodborne, and Tetris Effect. Any other standout exclusives I should look out for? I’ve somehow managed to remain awfully ignorant about the PS4 and it’s games.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Wildtortilla posted:

I realized that I only ever looked at the PS4 as a means to play GoW, Bloodborne, and Tetris Effect. Any other standout exclusives I should look out for? I’ve somehow managed to remain awfully ignorant about the PS4 and it’s games.

Ghost of Tsushima is good, if you have any interest in JRPGs Persona 5 Royal is great. The Spider-Man games are also really fun

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Speaking of mechs, saw that they invented a MechWarrior 5 today. Anyone played it, any good? I watched one video of it and it looked exactly how I remember Ghost Bear Legacy looking then I watched a video of Ghost Bear Legacy and it looked so much worse. Don't got a joystick and don't plan on buying one, is it still the kind of thing that will suck without one?

Its on game pass and I made it through the tutorial and quit and never played it again. General consensus seems not good.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008
concrete genie is a pretty fun and breezy game that's easy to pick up and play in small chunks, and until dawn slaps; also mlb the show if you're into baseball at all

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

RDH, even experienced cooks run into that problem. When I first started making curry I think I spent almost $60 just in the spices, and I still don't use them in any other dish.

Also, I'm not sure what kinds of foods you like but I primarily cook Italian and Hispanic dishes if you need any ideas or tips.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Got groceries today to do some actual effort cooking, will post updates starting Monday. I think a lot of cooking advice/shows are really funny because it has no idea what level of cooking experience the average American has. I remember seeing some Food Network survey that is like, less than 5% of people who watch the shows actually try recipes at home and they were surprised by that because so many of their recipes are focused on being easy and quick with things you already have in your kitchen. Meanwhile I'm reading a recipe list thinking to myself "I've never even seen raw garlic in real life before you think I have any of this stuff just sitting around in my house?" So I had to do a bit of investment into finding some recipes that had a fair amount of ingredient overlap so I wouldn't have to buy a million spices and stuff like that

Breh

Also Garlic keeps for months, shove it in a dark cool closet/pantry
Same with Potatoes and onions. You can also get a lot farther with just Salt, Pepper, Cayenne, Garlic Powder, and MSG than you think.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Learning proper garlic peeling technique is an investment that will pay off in nearly every dish, because garlic is a miracle plant that is good in every recipe. It's the only fresh ingredient I make sure to literally always have in stock, because any recipe worth cooking calls for it.

Getting a device like this can definitely save you a lot of time and effort actually learning how to chop anything though. Great investment if you end up sticking with it.

Spices are definitely a sticking point for a new chef though. You see a recipe where the fresh ingredients cost $10 or less, and then it calls for seven different spices and you don't have any of them and you're set back $50 or more. You get to reuse them in future recipes, but if you're cooking from a wide variety of cuisines, you might repeat this process multiple times and it's super annoying. With enough experience though, you can figure out generally what spice combinations work well together for your tastebuds, and half the time just figure out when a recipe is really just calling for a flavor profile, and you can just substitute what you have and know you like for the precise things listed.

The best cooking advice I ever got, by the way, was to always start by tripling any flavor-bearing components of any recipe. Garlic, ginger, spices, herbs, sauces, etc. Not the actual things that take up space in your stomach, like meat and veggies, but the stuff you put on top of them. Seriously, every recipe I've ever encountered is a flavor coward and a big part of why restaurants are better is because they use more of the stuff which tastes good.

e: idk exactly how beginner you are so maybe some of this stuff is below your level. Apologies if it is.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

i just finished ghost of tsushima tonight and, while it is extremely mediocre and has no interest in really exploring any of the sorta decent ideas expressed in its narrative, it is very nice to look at and can keep you occupied for a long time. if you are into big budget open world games you could do worse, but you could also play something amazing instead...

...such as sekiro!! or 13 sentinels!!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

The best cooking advice I ever got, by the way, was to always start by tripling any flavor-bearing components of any recipe. Garlic, ginger, spices, herbs, sauces, etc. Not the actual things that take up space in your stomach, like meat and veggies, but the stuff you put on top of them. Seriously, every recipe I've ever encountered is a flavor coward and a big part of why restaurants are better is because they use more of the stuff which tastes good.

This is the truest thing I’ve ever seen on these forums, with the caveat that it sometimes doesn’t apply for baking. I can’t think of a single cooking recipe I’ve ever made where I thought to myself “drat, this sure was good and definitely couldn’t have used three times as much garlic. Or ginger.”

Also for a starting chef I would also advise not sleeping on powdered garlic/onion/ginger, like they’re no substitute for the real thing but it’s much better to use powdered garlic than the canned poo poo and they make for nice rubs when seasoning meats.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The one exception is of course salt, where you just put it in until it tastes good, and recipes tend to be reasonably on point most of the time

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Also learn to roast garlic. It's perfect for everything and you can eat it by itself.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Chopping/Peeling Garlic is incredibly easy, I honestly don't know why there's products or tech's for it. Smash the bulb with the flat of your knife, pull out a clove, smash that, pull off the peel and chop. If you need it finely minced grate it.

Also keep in mind the Garlicky flavor is released from the cell walls of the plant, thus whole garlic is lacking in it, while grated or minced is packed with it, many recipes calling for an abundance of garlic really just need a finer mince.

Your first purchase as a budding cook should be a nice cast iron and a good knife. Don't pay for the Cast Iron, someone you know has one they don't want, or check goodwill. If you don't know how to maintain it check out Internet Shaquille on Youtube, He's a real no bullshit guy about cooking. No woo only how to take care of it.

As for a knife find one that isn't too long, it should fit comfortably in your hand and feel well balanced. I believe Victorinox was the company rec'd for cheap good knives back in the day, when in doubt go smaller than you think.

It's a bit more advanced but if you can look into a whetstone, Ethan Chelbowski has a good intro to Whetstone sharpening on his youtube. One well sharpened knife is better than two dozen lovely Cutco knives.

After that a Paring Knife, a stock pot, and a cutting board are the only thing's that you really need

New cooks tend to buy a lot of devices. Trust me most of that poo poo is worthless. Ninety percent of meals just need the above.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

People complain about garlic breath, but baby I wish everything was garlic

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

a big part of why restaurants are better is because they use more of the stuff which tastes good.

It's Fat and Salt, it's what humans love the most. You would be scared, frigtened, even disgusted at putting 1 pound of butter for every 2 of potatoes. That's why you don't have a michilen star.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo%C3%ABl_Robuchon

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

:negative:

I'm pretty tore up about this. I was hoping to ignore ubisoft for the rest of my life.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

Looper posted:

i just finished ghost of tsushima tonight and, while it is extremely mediocre and has no interest in really exploring any of the sorta decent ideas expressed in its narrative, it is very nice to look at and can keep you occupied for a long time. if you are into big budget open world games you could do worse, but you could also play something amazing instead...

...such as sekiro!! or 13 sentinels!!

I am ashamed I forgot 13 sentinels, definitely play that if you're hunting for ps4 exclusives

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
there's a formal culinary term, in french and everything, that basically means "put more butter on it"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

For the seasoning situation: I would say to not splurge all at once and just pick up one or two spices that are core to the recipe. Usually if there's a lot of them, the secondary ones can be substituted or even left out without missing too much. Do this long enough and eventually you'll have an overflowing spice rack without feeling you just spent the equivalent of a AAA game on powders lol

Edit: re: onion and garlic -- powder is perfectly fine for things like stews and marinades with long exposure times. For stir fries and such though, activating fresh garlic and onion is half the battle won.

In most Asian style dishes I would complete the "true holy Trinity" with fresh ginger, that is also one of the power aromatics

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 13, 2021

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i think the ending narration in sh2 is my favorite piece of acting in a video game

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
recipe: "add three to four cloves of garlic, finely-"

me: "gently caress that and gently caress you too." *crushes an entire bulb*

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I have almost no cooking experience and my farthest reaches basically involve making different kinds of chicken and marinades (which is what Im going with this time again). I grew up hating my mom's cooking because she is also terrified of using any sorts of spices(well-done steaks with salt+pepper, no butter or anything, hence why I'd never seen raw garlic before), and my dad is allergic to chicken/fish/turkey so we had a very limited selection of meals that we would have all the time. Basically I got trained to only make things I was able to make in highschool/college that were within my budgets at those times and never evolved out of that. Now that I've got way more time and resources to try to get good at these sorts of things so I figure I probably should

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

For the seasoning situation: I would say to not splurge all at once and just pick up one or two spices that are core to the recipe.

Yeah this is what I did. I've got three core recipes I'm making that all use basically the same ingredients so I can start building up a supply. I did get ginger to go with the garlic too, those are two of the bases that I based my searching around

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 13, 2021

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Violen posted:

i think the ending narration in sh2 is my favorite piece of acting in a video game

Which version of sh2, the one with amateur voice acting or the one with pro voice acting

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ethan Chelbowski, Internet Shaquille, and Foodwishes are the best youtubes to look at if your new to the cooking game. They explain their poo poo, don't use that much obscure ingredients, and they aren't six million years long.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I recommend these videos too, the channel is named after food so it's clear they know their stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs1UudPHGAI

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I just watched the Nekomata sacrifice itself to save Japan on Mount Hiei in Nioh 1.

Can I start Nioh 2 yet or do I need to finish 1?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGgpSWcaV1U

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

homeless snail posted:

I recommend these videos too, the channel is named after food so it's clear they know their stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs1UudPHGAI

started hearing this when i read that title

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sb13Gx4vxM

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Oxxidation posted:

recipe: "add three to four cloves of garlic, finely-"

me: "gently caress that and gently caress you too." *crushes an entire bulb*

yeah this

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Something I recently made that I was very tasty and probably very bad for me was Japanese curry made with chopped up sausages and served in a hot dog bun.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Finished a cool part of re8 that is heavily indebted to silent hill, like yeah it’s super un-RE-like and kinda worse than anything SH ever did because our man Ethan is pretty flat (his two character traits are “dad” and “husband”), but yeah some good spooks, game’s good now

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Pwnstar posted:

Something I recently made that I was very tasty and probably very bad for me was Japanese curry made with chopped up sausages and served in a hot dog bun.

Have you considered substituting the sausages for something else? like, say, noodles of some kind? And I'm just spitballing here, but they could be yakisoba noodles :v:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
i finaly am gwtting back to DQ11S and maaaaaaan just man it's such a good game

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
thank you whoever bought me the avatar, i guess? who is it haha

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Mix. posted:

Have you considered substituting the sausages for something else? like, say, noodles of some kind? And I'm just spitballing here, but they could be yakisoba noodles :v:

I made Yakisoba Pan before also and it owns, do not despair my friend.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Simone Magus posted:

thank you whoever bought me the avatar, i guess? who is it haha
A new rabbid design that makes me want to puke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I have almost no cooking experience and my farthest reaches basically involve making different kinds of chicken and marinades (which is what Im going with this time again). I grew up hating my mom's cooking because she is also terrified of using any sorts of spices(well-done steaks with salt+pepper, no butter or anything, hence why I'd never seen raw garlic before), and my dad is allergic to chicken/fish/turkey so we had a very limited selection of meals that we would have all the time. Basically I got trained to only make things I was able to make in highschool/college that were within my budgets at those times and never evolved out of that. Now that I've got way more time and resources to try to get good at these sorts of things so I figure I probably should

I sympathize with you, I didn’t have it anywhere near as bad and my mom knows what spices are but I ended up biased against a lot of things because my mom likes her food bone-dry unless it’s made by my grandma so I used to think chicken breast was disgusting health food for people with broken tastebuds, for instance.

I prefer baking cause it’s easier to zone out to+more discoveries but cooking for oneself is one on the great little journeys of adulthood regardless as someone who can cook decently now and used to be dogshit awful at it. :)

Do you like pasta? Tomato sauces are really easy to do if you’re looking for “gateway” recipes and one of the things that you should always make for yourself since, like, you’re waiting for the pasta to boil anyway and there’s a big taste difference.