Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PHUO for the snipe: I would watch Twilight if they made a cut that had all the scenes with the stand‐ins without the CGI layer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Digital blood instead of squibs, too. That never looks good.

yeah squibs often take me right out of it too lol

especially if they just sorta vanish in a puff of red mist, all video game-like, and don't affect anything in the scene. like i get it, it's much easier to shoot action scenes that way, but it often looks, well, painted on, same as the muzzle flashes

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't have this problem as I don't watch any movie made after 2000, they're all trash anyways so why bother when there's so many good films I've yet to see. And yet people take time and money to watch the latest Garbage Marvel movie with the same loving plot, same CGI and same bullshit dialogue in every movie.

i'm not a film buff or anything really, but seriously, you're missing out on a lot of Good poo poo

off the top of my head, in no particular order:
Parasite, Memories of Murder (all films by Bong Joon-ho are great), Children of Men, Interstellar, Dunkirk (i'm not a big fan of Nolan but i liked these two), Portrait of a Lady on Fire, No Country for Old Men, Drive, There Will Be Blood, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, Winter's Bone, The Babadook and probably hundreds more that i haven't watched yet cause i'm not a film buff or anything really

also billie eilish owns

e: oh yeah, Annihilation was a cool movie too

ee: and Get Out

nurmie has a new favorite as of 11:13 on Jun 13, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
PHUO: the Utah teapot used as a computer graphics test model is ugly and much better teapots exist.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Judas and the Black Messiah was pretty good. Hell, I’d even say it was better than Ghostbusters.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

PHUO: the Utah teapot used as a computer graphics test model is ugly and much better teapots exist.

True* and it's this**:

*) fact
**) opinion

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
And Cats! Everybody loves Cats

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I watch movies to not give a poo poo about literally anything at all and whoops I guess I'm doing it all wrong.

Moon is the best film.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

thetoughestbean posted:

And Cats! Everybody loves Cats

Cats was tremendous. i kinda want to get drunk and high and watch it on a big screen in a crowded movie theatre with a group of friends. something tells me that would be the correct way to experience the experience that is Cats

fizzymercury posted:

Moon is the best film.

:yeah:

poo poo i forgot about Moon

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

True* and it's this**:

*) fact
**) opinion
That teapot is rad. It has a chunky quality you don't look for in a teapot and that makes it work.

e: Every time I gently caress up edits. Every single time. I hate those loving buttons.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fizzymercury posted:

That teapot is rad. It has a chunky quality you don't look for in a teapot and that makes it work.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
teapots own

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

nurmie posted:

teapots own

They're pretty great if you like tea.

e: LIFE HACK

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

I am more interested in what cool models you have than in whatever else is going on on this page.

It's almost certainly Warhammer or such.

Which, lol,

There is a contingent of Warhammer and other miniatures game model fans who think minis have all gone to poo poo since the vast majority of sculpting is done with a computer now instead of physically sculpting a little dude to make a mold of. Behold:

physically sculpted elves

computer-sculpted elves

I will always love the gorillafist elves from the old days because I played with them when I was 8, and yes they have hella charm, but the computer ones are just better.

And that's not to say there aren't extremely talented physical sculptors like the Perry twins who make things like this:

but lol, there is not some inherent moral superiority to the gorilla elves, there is good looking models and bad looking models.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

PHUO: Between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit. You cannot disprove my PHUO provided I am careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Almost all of Independence Day is practical effects and also it's a great movie.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

So where can I buy this fantastic teapot?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Platystemon posted:

I am more interested in what cool models you have than in whatever else is going on on this page.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's almost certainly Warhammer or such.
Naw I'm not into that Nerd poo poo.

It's all Gundams, Valkyries, and other random Mechs. They're all packed up cause I'm moving soon though.

Sorry fam

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

It's all Gundams, Valkyries, and other random Mechs.

lmao

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
PHUO gundam model kits are lamer than warhammer, which is in turn lamer than scale model dad kits of ww2 planes

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

PHUO gundam model kits are lamer than warhammer, which is in turn lamer than scale model dad kits of ww2 planes

This but in reverse

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Gaius Marius posted:

It's all Gundams, Valkyries, and other random Mechs. They're all packed up cause I'm moving soon though.

Sorry fam

PHUO: Gundams and mecha are more nerd stuff than Warhammer.

I do speak mainly from the UK though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Atticus_1354 posted:

So where can I buy this fantastic teapot?

An auction site or a Finnish antique store or flea market. It's a blue Kosmos from Arabia (the factory, not the place). Blue is unfortunately much rarer than brown.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Josef bugman posted:

PHUO: Gundams and mecha are more nerd stuff than Warhammer.

I do speak mainly from the UK though.

quote="Josef bugman"

hmmmmm

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

At least WW2 happened. Gundams will never be real.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

christmas boots posted:

At least WW2 happened. Gundams will never be real.

You say that as if there isn't already a 1/1 scale gundam in existence

TBH model train people are the coolest modellers. The level of dedication it takes to make such detailed scenes is something I find very impressive

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

quote="Josef bugman"

hmmmmm

I mean yeah, anyone in the UK with even a passing knowledge of nerd culture from back in the 90's will have some Warhammer figurines. Whereas Gundam ones are a good deal rarer and more "niche nerd" as it were.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lmao at the canned soldier anime nerd thinking he's not as the Japanese robot anime nerd.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Lmao at the canned soldier anime nerd thinking he's not as the Japanese robot anime nerd.

I mean yeah, I'm a huge nerd. One is just rarer than the other.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
All the cool kids do model cars and planes like me. Buncha geeknards.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Imagine posting on a message board though

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Imagine posting on a message board though

Everyone considers something else that much geekier than themselves. Like it took me years to get a guy who played weird boardgames to try anything like DnD because he thought it was "too nerdy". Even though he was playing Diplomacy via post.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 20:12 on Jun 13, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

the difference is the anime robot nerd is trying to bill himself as superior to the soldier fightmans nerd, and use that to justify his idea that using a computer to make art makes you a soulless automaton.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Monkey posted:

the difference is the anime robot nerd is trying to bill himself as superior to the soldier fightmans nerd, and use that to justify his idea that using a computer to make art makes you a soulless automaton.

Lmao that's an anime!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I thought it was pretty obvious I was joking about 40k being nerdier than Gundam. Even if Gundam is the clearly more important and interesting work.

Josef bugman posted:

I mean yeah, anyone in the UK with even a passing knowledge of nerd culture from back in the 90's will have some Warhammer figurines. Whereas Gundam ones are a good deal rarer and more "niche nerd" as it were.

From what I've seen from the Gunpla thread models in the UK are bonkers expensive. That's one of the big pluses about Gunpla, even shipping a kit from Japan a good quality kit will only run you $15-25.

Gaius Marius has a new favorite as of 00:03 on Jun 14, 2021

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Baseball is a great sport, and it doesn't have the toxicity I tend to associate with (American) football.

BUT I agree that it's too slow sometimes and that it needs something like basketball's shot clock to speed it up a little.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Baseball is a great sport, and it doesn't have the toxicity I tend to associate with (American) football.

BUT I agree that it's too slow sometimes and that it needs something like basketball's shot clock to speed it up a little.

I'm famously nontoxic regular football

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBeeZVd6urI

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

True. I'm a typical dumb American that doesn't know much about Euro football.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The secret to enjoying baseball is ignoring season games and gambling heavily in the postseason.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Manager Hoyden posted:

The secret to enjoying baseball is ignoring season games and drinking heavily in the bleachers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Baseball is insanely toxic as well. If you don't run the bases in properly after hitting a homer then you get a projectile thrown at your head at 100 mph during your next at bat.