Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

seems like a lot of effort for apple and google to mess with app sourcecode, when they can just have the phone take screenshots or log keystrokes whenever you open a messaging app

the internet and most technology is enemy territory if you're organizing against the state, and no single app is going to change that reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

ymgve posted:

guess its time for criminals to go back to one time pads on paper

if you’re not willing to get naked in a bathtub with your co-conspirators with loud running water to avoid listening devices, is your scheme even worth talking about?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Proust Malone posted:

if you’re not willing to get naked in a bathtub with your co-conspirators with loud running water to avoid listening devices, is your scheme even worth talking about?

ive always assumed if i tried that, i would have to speak so loud over the water the neighbors will know what we're up to

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

just constantly checking and rechecking the lamps in my basement

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Delta-Wye posted:

ive always assumed if i tried that, i would have to speak so loud over the water the neighbors will know what we're up to

also coincidentally how Frank Jordan lost the SF mayoral race to Willie Brown

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Another Bill posted:

https://www.canadaland.com/podcast/the-police-10-portapique/

This whole thing is so hosed up. I'm not up on the latest developments but it seems like the RCMP was covering for this guy because he was an informant / asset even while he was in the midst of mass shooting and burning 22 people over ~15 hours driving around in a police uniform in the replica police car.

That's the absolute minimum, and has been pretty conclusively shown to be true.

I'm betting that not only was he an asset, but he was engaged in some illegal dealings that various cops were a part of outside of their official duties, so the coverup isn't just that the guy was on the payroll, it's all the other poo poo the cops were up to.

None of this makes sense if he was just an informant/asset gone nuts.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

tbqh in this world, in this timeline, in this reality, if you're doing things the US govt or any western govt would frown upon, if you *can*, you're better off using methods of communication that don't rely on the internet, or anything that even once goes thru the internet, as a sensitive communication medium.

I feel like a couple of days worth of classes TOPS could educate one on using old school, pre-computer encryption methods.

That way, at least, you don't have all this incriminating poo poo in a handy dandy folder with all kinds of other incriminating data to corroborate it.

Yeah, unironically if you're doing Big Things, using the enemy's spy network for sensitive things is the dumbest, laziest mistake you'll ever make.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Azathoth posted:

That's the absolute minimum, and has been pretty conclusively shown to be true.

I'm betting that not only was he an asset, but he was engaged in some illegal dealings that various cops were a part of outside of their official duties, so the coverup isn't just that the guy was on the payroll, it's all the other poo poo the cops were up to.

None of this makes sense if he was just an informant/asset gone nuts.

the kinda cash he was collecting discovered in the initial reporting definitely suggests some kind of massive involvement. gently caress the ATIP system making this poo poo impossible to access while the RCMP cosplay caring about human life pursuing the leaker for their own security

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Riot Bimbo posted:

tbqh in this world, in this timeline, in this reality, if you're doing things the US govt or any western govt would frown upon, if you *can*, you're better off using methods of communication that don't rely on the internet, or anything that even once goes thru the internet, as a sensitive communication medium.

I feel like a couple of days worth of classes TOPS could educate one on using old school, pre-computer encryption methods.

That way, at least, you don't have all this incriminating poo poo in a handy dandy folder with all kinds of other incriminating data to corroborate it.

Yeah, unironically if you're doing Big Things, using the enemy's spy network for sensitive things is the dumbest, laziest mistake you'll ever make.

Should just go back to using paired book registers for communication then you can transmit in the clear on the internet with reasonable security.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Anthony Cumia? Not surprising to see him in this thread.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

working through A Question of Torture by Alfred McCoy and there's a Dersh spotting

I wasn't familiar with the Murad plot and here is the paragraph about it a page earlier

the pope plot was in '95 starring the same crew from the world trade center bombing ('93)

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
thats my dersh!

nut
Jul 30, 2019

good poo poo

https://twitter.com/DoItForMaMa/status/1402759914297171972?s=20

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

“racing for time” they spent three weeks torturing someone who could have simply
delayed their visit.

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/closed-cold-case-murder-tied-ousted-tennessee-governor-78179401

"...at least five witnesses were murdered or killed themselves."

twit666 has issued a correction as of 23:03 on Jun 10, 2021

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug

The Saucer Hovers posted:

this reminded me to take a look at my water heater and sure as poo poo there's a little puddle under there

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

woah
you owe me a coke my friend

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/kbriquelet/status/1403113704489721860
https://twitter.com/kbriquelet/status/1403113705718624262

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Instead of signing a settlement she probably just signed her own "suicide" note.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Idle question since Toobin got reinstated at CNN, does anyone know if there are current CNN execs that were in jeff ep's black book?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The Saucer Hovers posted:

Better unplug those lamps, they might be analyzing the sound waves traveling through the power cables

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKXOucXB4a8&t=1s

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

why do people think the Daily Beast is one of the publications pushing the most stuff out still on Epstein. Their reporters are pretty close to different security agencies, and they are pretty well aligned with the Dems. They've been the outlet for a lot of the Melinda Gates stories as well.

Or am I being too conspiratorial, and they are publishing this stuff because it fits with their brand of covering more outrageous stories on the edges of the political scene.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I don't think those are mutually exclusive

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Presumably because TDB isn't aligned with Epstein's group of pedophiles and would like them run out of any positions of influence and power. They can be aligned with a different group of pedophiles depending on taste, of course. There's never just one faction.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think people here are pretty cognizant of how anything we find out about Epstein (or Gates, or any number of topics covered by this thread) is at the minimum a limited hangout if not just plain made-up, but it's what's available to talk about.

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007
Isn't the daily beast in the clintons' pocket?

If I'm remembering that correctly then the reason they're pushing epstein stories is to stay ahead of/control the narrative.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
the limited hangout narratives and exposures, like bill Clinton's neighbors Netflix doc, are designed to be ran alongside the q/re disinfo to create two parallel narratives along partisan lines while also creating enough signifiers to ensure anyone trying to create an actual account of even the basics will be dismissed by either kind of partisan

For example, obviously there are celebrities involved with the international pedophile cabal, but the right wing focuses super heavily with a bunch of outlandish claims about specific celebs, this is part of the dershowitz/cernovich/falun gong/8chan etc right-wing/fed disinfo campaign, and as a result trying to talk to any lib about celebrity or music industry or Hollywood connections beyond maybe obvious ones like Weinstein will get you dismissed as a q person

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Ace of Baes posted:

the limited hangout narratives and exposures, like bill Clinton's neighbors Netflix doc, are designed to be ran alongside the q/re disinfo to create two parallel narratives along partisan lines while also creating enough signifiers to ensure anyone trying to create an actual account of even the basics will be dismissed by either kind of partisan
This is an incredibly succinct and thorough summary, thanks!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ace of Baes posted:

For example, obviously there are celebrities involved with the international pedophile cabal, but the right wing focuses super heavily with a bunch of outlandish claims about specific celebs, this is part of the dershowitz/cernovich/falun gong/8chan etc right-wing/fed disinfo campaign, and as a result trying to talk to any lib about celebrity or music industry or Hollywood connections beyond maybe obvious ones like Weinstein will get you dismissed as a q person

:nsa:

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

That’s right!

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

nut posted:

i guess i wouldn't be surprised if signal was totally fine and I'm certainly too ignorant of tech to have a meaningful opinion. I just base my skepticism over Board of Broadcast Governors funding and having a backend hosted on AWS. Perhaps our resident cybernetics poster would even suggest there has to be a stable and meaningful channel to organize protests to maintain a more believable illusion of whatever freedom is supposed to be

Iirc signal just (couple weeks ago) posted a blog about how they managed to get their hands on the tech the feds use to break encryption on phone messages and they found a flaw in it and coincidentally the new update contains meaningless data that would ruin the program the feds use which owns

Edit https://signal.org/blog/cellebrite-vulnerabilities/ also last summer during the protests (maybe still?) They were giving away seamless bandanas with a pattern designed to trip up facial recognition

Josh Christ has issued a correction as of 07:29 on Jun 13, 2021

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
looking for a post

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
no problem buddy, here you go.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mola Yam posted:

no problem buddy, here you go.

call that a post 😂

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Josh Christ posted:

Iirc signal just (couple weeks ago) posted a blog about how they managed to get their hands on the tech the feds use to break encryption on phone messages...

...Edit https://signal.org/blog/cellebrite-vulnerabilities/

The thread talked about this a month or so ago, and perhaps we are just being paranoid, but I am always going to have a hell of a time buying this one.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

nut posted:

The thread talked about this a month or so ago, and perhaps we are just being paranoid, but I am always going to have a hell of a time buying this one.

what you don't believe that he literally saw it fall off the back of a truck, a common euphemism for stolen goods????

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Josh Christ posted:

what you don't believe that he literally saw it fall off the back of a truck, a common euphemism for stolen goods????

lol sorry I was more just referring to them coming into it by any means, not having to buy the "truck drop" story. As I mentioned before, I am too ignorant to have a meaningful opinion on tech, but I don't have meaningful faith in pretty much any tech that has to be constructed via governmental and corporate channels. Like AoB just said, throughout society, institutions of power have the critical hand in constructing both a good guy and bad guy narrative that act like magnets to suck up all the opinions and people around them. Seemingly little can exist let alone succeed outside of it.

reminds me of this tweet that I think encompasses even more than intended (the usual kantbot and friends warnings about them being crazy [if u follow this thread u will see logo has argued gamergate was an op] etc etc)
https://twitter.com/Logo_Daedalus/status/1389668025310326785?s=20

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

nut posted:

lol sorry I was more just referring to them coming into it by any means, not having to buy the "truck drop" story. As I mentioned before, I am too ignorant to have a meaningful opinion on tech, but I don't have meaningful faith in pretty much any tech that has to be constructed via governmental and corporate channels. Like AoB just said, throughout society, institutions of power have the critical hand in constructing both a good guy and bad guy narrative that act like magnets to suck up all the opinions and people around them. Seemingly little can exist let alone succeed outside of it.

reminds me of this tweet that I think encompasses even more than intended (the usual kantbot and friends warnings about them being crazy [if u follow this thread u will see logo has argued gamergate was an op] etc etc)
https://twitter.com/Logo_Daedalus/status/1389668025310326785?s=20

I mean it almost certainly became one on some level, the only question is whose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Probably just a huge coincidence that the FBI just blew up their honeypot crime chat room.