Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

harperdc posted:

I wouldn't say it's "feature," because it's their social media and they show just about everyone on there. but yes this is the first race Glickenhaus are joining, second of the season because Le Mans was moved to later in the summer this year as well. Sounds like Glickenhaus is going to be at Portimao, Monza (July) and Le Mans (August) but skipping the last two races scheduled (Fuji and Bahrain) because shipping cars.

As for watching, yes the App is good (but not available in the U.S. apparently) and live coverage is there or on satellite/cable channels depending on where you live. Live streams ain't hard to find. But they're also putting the full race up on YouTube about a week or so after the race if you're cheap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUCYqjtIAR0

When I meant watching, I meant racing quality wise. It was kinda dull when it was just Toyota stomping the rest of the non hybrid grid. Plus they added maximum stint times for the GTLM drivers which kinda sucked too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
The racing was pretty solid at spa, new car reliability questions and a very small pace gap to the LMPs means the hypercard are being kept VERY honest, I suspect we'll be seeing overall P2 podiums a decent amount this year, and the gap between the Toyotas and the Alpine (ex-rebellion) was pretty minimal for the first round, it definitely isn't a given that Toyota will win at Portimao and beyond.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Brass Hand posted:

They may have it on Eurosport Player and they are often doing deals for that.

Confirmed on Eurosport player, I have it fully in the app schedule.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Does eurosport have a feed with no commercials?

Before wec had a streaming service that was the only option for Le Mans and it was insane how many commercial breaks they had. Then you had to keep switching channels every so often.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

track day bro! posted:

Does eurosport have a feed with no commercials?

Before wec had a streaming service that was the only option for Le Mans and it was insane how many commercial breaks they had. Then you had to keep switching channels every so often.

The last two years of lemans on Eurosport have heavily trimmed out ads, unlike the old days where you had ten minutes of live feed and fifteen minutes ads now you get five minutes stops every hour or so with split screens rather than feed interruption

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I would honestly just say pay for the WEC sub if it's possible where you are

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Fwiw I've not had an issue paying for it in the US for a couple years now, MTOD is the official blessed provider in the US but I've never been truly blocked out of it since the first year of that deal (and even then I just used a VPN

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
The Eurosport player has it in the no-ads section and there's an audio option for ambient noise only, so you can listen to just the cars/sync up to the RLM feed/just not have to listen to Alan McNish

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
Eurosport player also does in car but I’m guessing WEC does too

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
For some reason I thought it started later so imagine my surprised that I have missed the first 80 minutes.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Brass Hand posted:

yep, there's a selection of in-car cameras to choose from.

algebra testes posted:

For some reason I thought it started later so imagine my surprised that I have missed the first 80 minutes.

at least this is the 8-hour race, so you'll get more than 6 hours of viewing in even then :v:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Brass Hand posted:

Eurosport player Italy have the ambient audio option but no dedicated in-car channels like lemans. No ads until now so maybe that’s only on 24hrs races.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Good news

https://twitter.com/nuerburgring/status/1405797354909933571?s=20

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Awwwwwww!!!!

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
The Safari Rally in Kenya is back this weekend after a 19 year hiatus. It will be on closed stages this time, but it is still set to be a long an punishing rally.

https://www.wrc.com/en/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV9cx_xbUOY

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Humbug posted:

The Safari Rally in Kenya is back this weekend after a 19 year hiatus. It will be on closed stages this time, but it is still set to be a long an punishing rally.

https://www.wrc.com/en/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV9cx_xbUOY

Am I correct in saying instead of being absolutely insane they have scaled the rally back to "merely slightly insane"

Cos from what I'm seeing people are getting into all sorts of strife and I'm here for it.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

algebra testes posted:

Am I correct in saying instead of being absolutely insane they have scaled the rally back to "merely slightly insane"

Cos from what I'm seeing people are getting into all sorts of strife and I'm here for it.

Yeah. It's still nuts but it used to be just stupid crazy. There are two main differences from the Safari rally of old.

1. They used to run on essentially open roads in long distance point to point rallies, akin to Mille Miglia or the Cannonball run. This led to a lot of accidents with the rural populace and their livestock. They tightened it to very long closed stages in 1996, but there where still a lot of incidents due to inadequate marshaling. I don't miss that style of racing and it felt in particularly poor taste that they would run that kind of rally in a relatively undeveloped country, when they where banned in Europe. I'm glad it's back in a more organized form now though.

2. They used to build special cars just for the safari, with beefier suspensions, snorkels etc. This is now banned for cost reasons, and they have to run the normal homologated car. Looks like they can't take the punishment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-81vj6nmjhQ

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Is the WRC finally undoing the damage of sanitisation? I gave up interest in it so long ago; back at the end of the days of McRae, Burns, Sainz et al.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Not really sure what you mean about that. The cars have gotten fairly gradually faster until a major performance jump in power and aero a few years ago. The cars are easily the fastest rally cars ever. There where some very nasty fatal and near fatal accidents in the mid 2000s that made them make slower stages. The Loeb dominance was probably the worst for the sport.

No serious injuries, but could easily have been fatal. Michael Park died in a accident in Wales a year later.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-_PyovawYQ

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Not so much the cars as the events/format. The move to "TV friendly" cookie cutter sprint rounds, instead of idiosyncratic events that were often long, hard endurance events.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

apparently the roads are still stupidly rocky despite being groomed a little bit, which is good, and they have to have a 0 helicopter to scare away livestock/wild animals before the 000, 00 and 0 cars come through the stages.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Not so much the cars as the events/format. The move to "TV friendly" cookie cutter sprint rounds, instead of idiosyncratic events that were often long, hard endurance events.

this year they've got Safari and Acropolis in the championship, so that's a step in the right direction. I think the organizers are trying to re-balance things so there's more endurance to it. sounds like Safari is breaking cars, which is Good.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lol the leader retired on the last day, and Ogier overtook P1 to win the thing.

Rallying rules???

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Lol the leader retired on the last day, and Ogier overtook P1 to win the thing.

Rallying rules???

Ogier...wins....and it's not boring?!

what fresh hell is this

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/FIAWEC/status/1412389477637558273?s=19

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Well, well, well. I wonder if they'll really keep that low of a rear wing for all circuits. I guess they'd have to due to the homologation rules.

I'm not a huge fan of the new Peugeot corporate logo but the car looks wild in a really good way.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
It looks like one of Ridge Racer Type 4 cars. Awesome

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I hope that isn't the final livery

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I'm back to cheering on Peugeot at Le Mans. All seems right in the world.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

track day bro! posted:

I hope that isn't the final livery

It's not in the legally mandated WEC top class colours of red white and black so it won't be.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

That car is rad as hell.

Hope Porsche's looks nice, too.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

It's not in the legally mandated WEC top class colours of red white and black so it won't be.

I've gotta assume the red white black livery is a german thing because all 3 LMP1H teams were based there. Hopefully being French means it might be a nice french racing blue, or like the old Peugeot racing colours

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Pescarolo puke green or bust

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The neon green accents are cool. More of that.

Also like that whenever they try to make a new spec that isn’t protos, they just immediately turn into slightly different shaped protos instead.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
Very bold for Peugeot to use a 9x8 drive train setup. You’d think a French team wouldn’t want to go racing with a Kettenkrad, what with the war and all, but I guess time heals all wounds

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HXT7fDkf9I

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

track day bro! posted:

I've gotta assume the red white black livery is a german thing because all 3 LMP1H teams were based there. Hopefully being French means it might be a nice french racing blue, or like the old Peugeot racing colours

Corporations Think Alike more than anything. Toyota’s is for Gazoo Racing, which in fairness had been using that scheme at the Nurburgring before moving to include the WEC team. Still sucks that they all looked so similar - makes the throwback #21 Nissan that ran at Le Mans stand out a bit.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

White and red with black numbers is the historic japanese racing colors... unfortunately white with red numbers is the historic german racing colors too (when not silver/bare metal).

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Remember when there were 9000 private R8 LMP1's and there was a crocodile skin one for some one off race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

track day bro! posted:

Remember when there were 9000 private R8 LMP1's and there was a crocodile skin one for some one off race

that was the Joest factory car, lol. Adelaide street circuit in 2000, and won the race!