Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

When she went to NJPW and was regularly training in the L.A. Dojo, Chyna absolutely got better and became a solidly competent pro wrestler.

Her match with Chono is all time bad stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I don't remember her being good at all but i do remember her being awesome.

There are only 2 times where i can remember them depicting a woman as being on equal footing with a man. One was Sable when she popped 2 in the back of Marc Mero's dome and then Patterson and Briscoe hauled him off and dumped him into the river.

The other was Chyna and lord voldemort and instead of being murdered after he lost he went to another company and continued to main event for another 200 years

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

titties posted:

There are only 2 times where i can remember them depicting a woman as being on equal footing with a man. One was Sable when she popped 2 in the back of Marc Mero's dome and then Patterson and Briscoe hauled him off and dumped him into the river.

The other was Chyna and lord voldemort and instead of being murdered after he lost he went to another company and continued to main event for another 200 years
The first time I ever saw it was with Jacqueline in WCW on a Monday Nitro where she manhandled a jobber while Kevin Sullivan distracted the ref.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

MassRafTer posted:

Her match with Chono is all time bad stuff.
That was before she started putting time in at the dojo, IIRC. I believe that they specifically asked to to attend regularly so matches like that wouldn't happen again.

EDIT: I remembered wrong. That was late in her NJPW run, but it was her only singles match there. She was camouflaged in tags the rest of the time.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 11, 2021

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Wasn't the Chono/Chyna match on the same card where Scott Steiner almost killed Tanahashi on a botched Steiner screwdriver?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Wasn't the Chono/Chyna match on the same card where Scott Steiner almost killed Tanahashi on a botched Steiner screwdriver?
No, but her first appearance might have been on that show?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

davidbix posted:

No, but her first appearance might have been on that show?

Yeah I think that's the one

Man it's scary how close (and how many times) NJPW came close to ruining Tanahashi before Inoki was finally forced to sell huh

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Nick Jr. Face posted:

The first time I ever saw it was with Jacqueline in WCW on a Monday Nitro where she manhandled a jobber while Kevin Sullivan distracted the ref.

Didn't she do that to Disco Inferno too?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CombineThresher posted:

Didn't she do that to Disco Inferno too?

He originally got released when he refused to do the match and when they brought him back they made him do it even though he was TV champion.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Out of curiosity, was Chyna the first/only woman to "officially" wrestle for NJPW? I remember people talking about the Stardom dark match at WK14 being a big deal because NJPW had never had women's matches, and I realize Chyna was wrestling against men and therefore the Stardom matches were the first "women's matches" and also they were technically Stardom, not New Japan.

Are the Stardom dark matches and Joanie the only asterisks to "no women wrestling in NJPW" though?

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

Out of curiosity, was Chyna the first/only woman to "officially" wrestle for NJPW? I remember people talking about the Stardom dark match at WK14 being a big deal because NJPW had never had women's matches, and I realize Chyna was wrestling against men and therefore the Stardom matches were the first "women's matches" and also they were technically Stardom, not New Japan.

Are the Stardom dark matches and Joanie the only asterisks to "no women wrestling in NJPW" though?

Does the NJPW/WCW Collision in Korea count? Had Akira Hokuto, Bull Nakano, Manami Toyota, and Mariko Yoshida.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
chyna vs chono really isn't as bad as you'd think. i think joanie could've actually been a really great worker if things turned out a little differently

also, did she own the Chyna name? or did WWE just let her use it? she used it in new japan and TNA and all her other stuff so I would assume so but I've never heard anyone talk about it

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Low Desert Punk posted:

also, did she own the Chyna name? or did WWE just let her use it? she used it in new japan and TNA and all her other stuff so I would assume so but I've never heard anyone talk about it

She did not own it. I remember her having to use "Chynna Doll" for a while. Wikipedia says she got around this by legally changing her name to Chyna in 2007, so I guess that's why she was able to use it in TNA. I remember Ultimate Warrior doing something similar to be called "Warrior" in WCW since WWE owned "Ultimate Warrior".

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Edge & Christian posted:

Chikayo Nagashima and Meiko Satomura wrestled for them as part of a show called Muga Dream in 1998.

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

Maria Kanellis and Amber Gallows took part in a Kingdom vs Bullet Club multi-person tag match at Wrestling Dontaku 2015

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

There's several examples of one-offs and co-produced shows, but Chyna is probably the only woman to do a tour with them.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Low Desert Punk posted:

chyna vs chono really isn't as bad as you'd think. i think joanie could've actually been a really great worker if things turned out a little differently

It's very clunky and relies heavily on misogyny, it sucks.

I had to go gif one of the funniest moments of the match where they are going to do a sequence where Chono catches a kick and takes Chyna down. Chyna throws this awful kick from way too far out, so they have to circle and then repeat it. The first several minutes of the match are just really terrible attempts at arm work and chain wrestling. It's really, really boring stuff.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 12, 2021

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Edge & Christian posted:

No. There can be arguments about who was first, though.

If you consider the North Korea shows NJPW shows—which I think you should—then it's almost surely Akira Hokuto & Bull Nakano vs. Manami Toyota & Mariko Yoshida from night 1. (There was a Nakano-Hokuto singles match on night 2.) They also invited women's promotions to participate in the 30th anniversary celebration in 2002, with an AJW tag at the 30th anniversary show at the Tokyo Dome and a JWP tag (I think) on a different show.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Where's the CZW Follies list? Any archives?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Edge & Christian posted:

Around 2002 they had women on the cards occasionally, I know Command Bolshoi and Manami Toyota showed up there.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Has there ever been an instance in a promotion where one of the tag champions turns against his partner, and then the other half's new partner has to fight the former partner for the tag belt like it's a singles title?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

sticklefifer posted:

Has there ever been an instance in a promotion where one of the tag champions turns against his partner, and then the other half's new partner has to fight the former partner for the tag belt like it's a singles title?

Closest I can think of was from TNA when Angle fought Joe in a singles match for 4 different belts, which included both of the tag belts

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
EVIL was still 6-man champs with BUSHI and Shingo when he turned on LIJ, but they just vacated the belts instead of doing anything interesting with that dynamic

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
There was some such nonsense in WCW between The Steiners, Buff Bagwell, The Giant and Kenny Kaos.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

Wasn't that how Cody turned on Hardcore Holly?

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Cody and Ted DiBiase were mystery opponents for Cody and Bob Holly, if I remember right, so sort of

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sticklefifer posted:

The closest you are probably going to find to this is Sting and the Giant winning the WCW titles, both of them joining opposing factions of the nWo and then having a singles match for both titles.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Billy Gunn teamed with The Acolytes in a six man tag against X Pac, Road Dogg and Kane in 1999. The Acolytes tag titles were on the line. Gunn scored the pinfall and for some reason took one of the tag team belts, thinking he was now champion. Bradshaw beat him the next week to "win" back the title belt.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Wasn't there something like this around 98 or 99 involving the nWo split, Hall and the WCW tag belts?

Edit: just saw MRT's post.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

There was also the storyline in TNA where Samoa Joe and Kurt Angle teamed up in a tag match against the Dudleys, where all four men were champions and whoever pinned someone on the other team would win their belt. Samoa Joe pinned Bubba Ray, so he became the tag team champion and didn't want to share the other belt with Kurt, so they had a follow up singles match where all of the belts were on the line and Kurt Angle became the TNA/X Division/IWGP Third Belt(?)/TNA Tag Team champion.

Kurt then set up a four way match to determine who would be his tag team co-champion: Samoa Joe, Christian, AJ Styles, or Sting. Sting won the match, and a week later Kurt and Sting lost the belts to Ron Killings and Pac-Man Jones, which eventually led to a Kurt/Sting feud and because Pacman Jones wasn't allowed to actually wrestle, they brought in some new guy Consequences Creed to eat the pinfall to take the belts off of Team Pacman.

I'm sure this made at least slightly more story sense when it happened.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Ron Howard: "It did not."

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 14, 2021

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

Kurt then set up a four way match to determine who would be his tag team co-champion: Samoa Joe, Christian, AJ Styles, or Sting. Sting won the match, and a week later Kurt and Sting lost the belts to Ron Killings and Pac-Man Jones, which eventually led to a Kurt/Sting feud and because Pacman Jones wasn't allowed to actually wrestle, they brought in some new guy Consequences Creed to eat the pinfall to take the belts off of Team Pacman.

I'm sure this made at least slightly more story sense when it happened.

I may be wrong on this but I'm pretty sure Karen fell over towards the end of the match, pointed at Sting and said he pushed her leading to him trying to tell Angle that didn't happen. This lead to Angle giving him the Olympic Slam and walking out leaving him free to be pinned by Pacman in what was the only actual physical thing he did in the ring.

Then later it was revealed that Kurt and Karen planned the whole thing together and losing the tag titles and pissing off Sting was all part of the plan and a good thing because... yes?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why didn’t Kevin Dunn manage Well Dunn?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Karma Tornado posted:

Cody and Ted DiBiase were mystery opponents for Cody and Bob Holly, if I remember right, so sort of
Yes Cody turned heel, joined forces with Ted Jr., and beat Bob Holly in what became a handicap match. Thus technically losing the tag titles to himself.

Not quite what the OP was asking but a funny little footnote for sure. Hard to believe Russo was nowhere near it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Why didn’t Kevin Dunn manage Well Dunn?
Camera switching technology did not exist in the mid 1990s at the elilepsy-inducing level that would have allowed Kevin Dunn to showcase a team worthy of his name. This is why he kept pushing to bring in Tekno Team 2000 thinking they were from the future as a shoot, and could help him achieve his vision.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
From the CZW Follies list:

CZW Follies posted:

Ric Blade and TCK vs. Mercury and Low Ki should have been an excellent tag team match, but instead was a botch-fest. First TCK trips over Blade when trying to use him as a springboard over the top rope. Then, Low Ki attempts a moonsault off a ladder to the outside, however as he jumped the ladder moved from under him and he almost lands on his head on the ring apron. Ric Blade later attempts a leg drop off the top of a basketball hoop on to Mercury, who is laid out on a table below. Blade falls backwards off Mercury and the table, knocking himself out. As a result of this, referee Brian Logan attempts to finish the match by having TCK pin Low Ki. Logan counts three, even though Low Ki obviously kicked out at two. Assuming the changed finish to be some kind of screwjob against him, Low Ki loses the plot and starts having an in-ring tantrum. Nobody does anything about this initially, until finally a security guard goes in to the ring and picks Low Ki up in his arms like a child and carries him to the back. The Hit Squad attempt to get involved as well, arguing with security. Neither The Hit Squad or Low Ki are ever invited back to CZW.

Is this where the famous Low Ki picture comes from?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Max Coveri posted:

From the CZW Follies list:

Is this where the famous Low Ki picture comes from?
Yup!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Low Ki looks like Nosferatu in that pic.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

It's like poetry.

I figured I'd make a backup of the list that had less writing mistakes and didn't need wading through archives, so here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I used to work with mercury, it was maybe a year and a half after that match.

He seemed nice, when he found out how much i liked wrestling he invited me to his apartment, showed me some of his matches, and let me check out what i think was a czw tag title belt but was really an ecw replica belt that had been painted.

He also loaned me the jerry lawler autobiography which i never returned so phil, if you'd reading this hmu and I'll return your book.