Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Just picturing that OoT, WW, and TP get a collection like 64, Sunshine and Galaxy. And that means Skyward Sword is somehow equivalent to Mario 3D Land + DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

that would of course mean that OoT is in its original form instead of the 3DS remake and for good measure the two gamecube games would be emulated too instead of porting the HD versions over from wiiu

E: also that the games would be delisted in six months, can't forget that part

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
it being the N64 version of Majora would be cool

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Botw stresses me out for some reason, I think it's that I usually quite like linear games, but today I actually had a pretty zen hour of play where I hosed around and found a shrine and finally could get my fifth heart.

Will continue to just try to lean into the zen and not worry about things.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

External Organs posted:

Botw stresses me out for some reason, I think it's that I usually quite like linear games, but today I actually had a pretty zen hour of play where I hosed around and found a shrine and finally could get my fifth heart.

Will continue to just try to lean into the zen and not worry about things.

Best way to play. But if you want some advice follow the quest prompts to Kakariko village and do the story thing there. Then follow the prompts to Hateno village and complete your sheika slate. After that, have fun and concentrate on activating all the towers. The game will guide you to interesting points by doing that and there’s no wrong order to do anything at all.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Cartoon Man posted:

Best way to play. But if you want some advice follow the quest prompts to Kakariko village and do the story thing there. Then follow the prompts to Hateno village and complete your sheika slate. After that, have fun and concentrate on activating all the towers. The game will guide you to interesting points by doing that and there’s no wrong order to do anything at all.

This is actually currently where I am! I completed the sheika slate, and then explored a bit outwards and hit both the shrine of greater strength and the shrine of moderate strength, neither of which I could do. That was like a few months ago, but my brother in law convinced me to try again. My zen time today took me away from there to go discover another tower. So I'll keep doing that :patriot:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

MorningMoon posted:

Just picturing that OoT, WW, and TP get a collection like 64, Sunshine and Galaxy.

I would shell out some serious loving money for this. Especially if OoT and MM are the 3DS versions - WW was my first Zelda game, I didn't get far in OoT and haven't touched MM, and I kind of feel like having the updated graphics would make that easier for me.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Is the dlc the only way to get equipment for your horse to travel? Feel like I’ve been on foot or shield way more than I should be

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

the_american_dream posted:

Is the dlc the only way to get equipment for your horse to travel? Feel like I’ve been on foot or shield way more than I should be

If you mean teleport, then yeah the ancient horse gear that lets the horse teleport to you when you whistle is DLC only.

External Organs posted:

This is actually currently where I am! I completed the sheika slate, and then explored a bit outwards and hit both the shrine of greater strength and the shrine of moderate strength, neither of which I could do. That was like a few months ago, but my brother in law convinced me to try again. My zen time today took me away from there to go discover another tower. So I'll keep doing that :patriot:

If something's hard, don't worry about it, you can find something else that isn't hard and try to gather strength to try again later.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm reminded that the DS/3DS irrc briefly had a Nintendo Channel that had... stuff, including the Kirby anime.

Double up the trolling with CD-I Zelda games and the Zelda cartoon.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

the_american_dream posted:

You can also make use of the stable system if you have to abandon your horse somewhere. Not quite as convenient as the DLC teleport but still useful.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i actually refuse to equip the ancient saddle because while horse teleporting is convenient it disables the ability to whistle for your horse, start running while it approaches, smoothly mount it as it gallops past you and keep going full speed which is an incredible cool guy manoeuvre

convenience is highly overrated if you ask me

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ooh I never actually used it either since I played the game before the DLC came out, and you're right I would've missed that too. The stables work fine for lots of horse riding.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Amppelix posted:

i actually refuse to equip the ancient saddle because while horse teleporting is convenient it disables the ability to whistle for your horse, start running while it approaches, smoothly mount it as it gallops past you and keep going full speed which is an incredible cool guy manoeuvre

convenience is highly overrated if you ask me

I don’t equip it cause I hate the way it looks.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

that's another incredibly valid reason

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Apparently Monday and Tuesday are all-hands on deck for Gamestop.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
https://twitter.com/WorstLink/status/1404178457701937152?s=20

https://twitter.com/WorstLink/status/1404178666096009216?s=20

https://twitter.com/WorstLink/status/1404179111984058369?s=20

Worst Link has returned.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Worst Link has returned.

https://i.imgur.com/cyVIl3B.mp4
All I can think of

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

got caught in the mixup, drat

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I would shell out some serious loving money for this. Especially if OoT and MM are the 3DS versions - WW was my first Zelda game, I didn't get far in OoT and haven't touched MM, and I kind of feel like having the updated graphics would make that easier for me.

oh, same for that. But I was being very specific with my post. Original 64 OoT, no 3DS upgrade, like how the Mario collection ignored Mario 64 DS. Majora's Mask would be the Galaxy 2 equivalent.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'd want a graphic update because N64 games look like absolute poo poo.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Play on a crt, or emulate with shaders that emulate a crt.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gaius Marius posted:

Play on a crt, or emulate with shaders that emulate a crt.

That doesn't make N64 graphics suddenly not be absolute garbage.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Quoted for truth, first-gen 3D games look like rear end regardless of leaps in gameplay development

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

MorningMoon posted:

oh, same for that. But I was being very specific with my post. Original 64 OoT, no 3DS upgrade, like how the Mario collection ignored Mario 64 DS. Majora's Mask would be the Galaxy 2 equivalent.

Sadly, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if that’s what we get :sigh: at that point I’d be getting it mostly for WW and TP.

Though if they started on the Zelda combo at the same time as 3dAS, they’ll at least have had a lot more time to improve it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It actually can help because a lot of old games were made to take advantage of the quirks of old displays

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I only now discovered that every time you beat the DLC blights over (I didn't even know you could beat them over and over) the Champions will have new dialogue until eventually they run out of inspirational words and just start telling you poo poo like how one time Daruk stepped on a dog's tail and freaked out.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Chronojam posted:

It actually can help because a lot of old games were made to take advantage of the quirks of old displays

Super Famicom graphics are miles better than N64 graphics. N64 graphics are bad. They’ve always been bad. They will not ever be good. I don’t give a drat how good a game is if it looks and controls like a bad cubist nightmare. I have zero nostalgia for them. Nintendo would sell a lot more copies of old games If they updated graphics.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

N64 graphics are bad. They’ve always been bad. They will not ever be good.

I can tell your statement is wrong because Kirby 64 and Pokemon Snap exist.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Super Famicom graphics are miles better than N64 graphics. N64 graphics are bad. They’ve always been bad. They will not ever be good. I don’t give a drat how good a game is if it looks and controls like a bad cubist nightmare. I have zero nostalgia for them. Nintendo would sell a lot more copies of old games If they updated graphics.

:hmmyes:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the early 3d cubist nightmare look rules and lmao at the idea that you need help selling more copies of literally ocarina of time

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I can tell your statement is wrong because Kirby 64 and Pokemon Snap exist.

Star Fox 64, also

surprised we had someone say 'cubist nightmare' and nobody has talked about Mischief Makers

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Early 3D games were made while 3D artists were still figuring out the effective techniques for this literally brand new medium. A lot of the games from the late 90s are things that simply don't work aesthetically. However, even in that dark time, people learned, and there were successes.

If they're going to rerelease Ocarina of Time, they will probably want to use the assets created for the 3DS version, which look much better and are authentic. Doing this would probably be more work than sticking a patched rom in a customized emulator like they did with Mario 64, however, so they might cut corners so they can allocate staff to higher-profile projects.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Bleck posted:

Star Fox 64, also

surprised we had someone say 'cubist nightmare' and nobody has talked about Mischief Makers

Beat me to it - I was going to say Lylat Wars as it was known in Europe.

This is hardly a huge revelation, but pre-HD games generally look better on non-HD televisions. I have a huge old-school television that I won't get rid of for those older systems. I also keep it around because it has a built-in VCR and, believe it or not, I still have a few cassettes kicking about.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I would be on board for an OoT/MM release that let you toggle between original and updated graphics, that would be pretty neat. Idea copyright me, this has never been done in a rerelease before

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Captain Hygiene posted:

I would be on board for an OoT/MM release that let you toggle between original and updated graphics, that would be pretty neat. Idea copyright me, this has never been done in a rerelease before

That would be the thing that pretty much satisfies everyone therefore it won’t happen :sigh:

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

One problem is that a lot of the original graphics are low-res prerendered backgrounds.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

The Golux posted:

One problem is that a lot of the original graphics are low-res prerendered backgrounds.

That didn't stop them with Final Fantasy 8.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i honestly would not have complained if the difficulty of Ganon scaled with my own relative hitpoints and stamina. That fight felt underwhelming.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Twelve by Pies posted:

That didn't stop them with Final Fantasy 8.

Stopped them with FF9 though since Square lost the original files. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Well BotW2 looks great.