Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Alright back to the more interesting than after a truly terrible chapter. I assume that thing is the Omega Device? I'm really wondering what it's gonna do.

Also since it seems so connected to Zimmy I wonder if it'll unleash her weird poo poo into the forest

XkyRauh posted:

Vial's got some Coyote coloring going on.

It always has I think. I can't remember the chapter they get it though, I think it was a gift to Andrew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Macaluso posted:

It always has I think. I can't remember the chapter they get it though, I think it was a gift to Andrew?

Andrew got the goose bone. Parley got the water:

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1820

And yeah, it always looked like that.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

I'm thinking it's a bunch of oils and dyes. They might have held onto it just so that Annie could only return it on their terms but pulling a fast one on god is kind of their MO.

Either way, it going to look how it's supposed to because they aren't so stupid as to do an improper switcheroo.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
it can be the real thing and still be an intentional insult to confiscate and return it from the Forest's ambassador at will. Of course the Forest was insulting the Court by appointing a Court child as their ambassador to begin with but that's how diplomacy works, right? A very adult thing of manners.

it's a pretty petty victory though if so. so far the Court is just repeatedly failing to achieve its objectives in these interactions: it has failed to prevent the Forest from intruding at will, it has failed to force the Forest to police its own monsters from intruding at will, it has failed to prevent the Forest from dumping several hundred unhappy refugees on it, and it has failed to stop the Forest sending its hapless ambassador on ever-more-disruptive missions to "retrieve" things it transparently planted in the Court to begin with. The Court is just continuously reacting and then being played for fools

Speculation time:

Coyote of course does not lie, and he did say that Loup would be 1) more than powerful enough to shape 'this world' when all the gifts are returned, but 2) the lake water will not grant control of the forest. Therefore the lake water must contain the memory of the first gift: the tooth-knife which Annie has kept hidden from both Loup and the Court (it's too bad there's a Court representative here to witness Loup learning of that particular card!). A knife that can cut the earth itself is just the tool for a god to be tricked into hastily cutting a weakness out of itself (in a way that Annie might find strikingly familiar).

ronya fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 7, 2021

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I have assumed since The Stone that the sword is gonna be able to hurt Jones. I dunno in what circumstances this would happen though, but the sword being able to cut through literally anything as far as we've seen, and Jones saying nothing can damage her besides her self put up red flags for me.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Macaluso posted:

I have assumed since The Stone that the sword is gonna be able to hurt Jones. I dunno in what circumstances this would happen though, but the sword being able to cut through literally anything as far as we've seen, and Jones saying nothing can damage her besides her self put up red flags for me.

Jones will just be split into two, smaller Jones

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
The water is certainly the memory of the sword; that is why it was important that Annie not tell Ysengrin about it, since otherwise this composite being would be aware of it. It seems possible that the sword could cut a being into its component parts if, say, it happened to be composed of two other beings. Which might explain how Coyote would see Annie again if she returned the water. Coyote has clearly been setting all this up for a long time. Even the story about the goose he told in the first place contains some hints about this; Coyote is dead, but he's only playing, and he's playing every part of the drama himself.

As for Coyote saying Loup would have the power to shape the world when he gets the water back, that's pretty trivially true; Loup would have the power to shape the world when all the gifts are returned because he has the power to do that right now. Annie suggests that his problems might be because he hasn't accepted the parts of himself that are Ysengrin, and maybe she's got a point there.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
This seems on the up and up. The court needs to invest in tricorders.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Jones will just be split into two, smaller Jones

Not to worry though, the problem will just resolve itself after a couple chapters with no effort from anyone, and she'll be right as rain and ready to go in no time at all.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

GlyphGryph posted:

Not to worry though, the problem will just resolve itself after a couple chapters with no effort from anyone, and she'll be right as rain and ready to go in no time at all.

:jerkbag:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

What if these guys aren't plotting something? What if they're just nerds?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The readings on that machine are about this thread. It's why they all look so pissed and concerned.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
:mad: This readout says you still don't like Tony!

:geno: because he's still an awful father

*mutter mutter mutter mutter*

:mad: He has his reasons

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Went back to look at the Loup reactions in 2018, and

Oh boy.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

wow way to curse 2022

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Surely nothing can go wrong here :hmmyes:

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
Everything they do is for the good of the Court*. It's fine!

*The "good of the court" may not coincide with what's good for any other group or organization, or even humanity as a whole.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Wa11y posted:

Everything they do is for the good of the Court*. It's fine!

*The "good of the court" may not coincide with what's good for any other group or organization, or even humanity as a whole.

* "for the good of the Court" may or may not include what's good for the Court depending on factors unknown to the Court

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Something I've been wondering and similarly articulated over at r/gunnerkrigg

quote:

It's easy to forget how many of the adults just unironically endorse The Court Leadership.

Like, most of the people here are here because they love The Court and they love Being a Part of The Court. Tony's the only one we've seen try to escape, and even he seems to have a certain loyalty to the institution, feeling strongly that his daughter should attend.

That's how it works for the most part. Very rarely is somebody in charge the people just unanimously hate it. If you're not making some group somewhere happy, they're gonna notice that there's many of them and one of you.

But with them being so blatantly a sinister presence in the lives of the student body I have to wonder how they make the transition from wary children to compliant adults.

One of the theories suggested in the replies is that the Court offers them stuff a la Bread and Circuses.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I think the answer is simpler - they weren't so obviously sinister 20 years ago.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 228 days!
i think its a pretty straightforward take on growing up just pre 9/11 where everyone just seemed to admire the upper class and bought into their idea of success and model for society and most dissent that was taken at all seriously was "we need to mainstream harder like this, now"

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Scholtz posted:

What if these guys aren't plotting something? What if they're just nerds?

that's what it means, to be a nerd

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

DontMockMySmock posted:

I think the answer is simpler - they weren't so obviously sinister 20 years ago.

Honestly though, to the average person, how does the court act particularly "sinister"? From a layman's point of view, things were chugging along like always, then a lot of trips started happening between the forest and court for a couple years, then suddenly there are bigass trees in the court and monsters attacking and everything is hosed.

If anything it's the forest that likely seems sinister, and the court noble. Suddenly big trees showed up (obviously the forest's doing) and the brave warriors of the court are trying to protect the people from these hostile invaders. It wouldn't surprise me if this was more or less the view held even by named adult characters we know, except with maybe a bit more "well the court is doing a bunch of secret stuff, but it's probably for our best interests."

Watch there be a surprise twist where the court was actually doing good this entire time, and they only appear sinister thanks to seeds of doubt planted by Coyote.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
In storytelling terms, it was probably a mistake for the attack in Evac to be not shown to injure or threaten any characters the reader might care about. Several panels are shown of the eponymous evacuation effort but it makes Loup come off too benign.

Early mentions that Ysengrin is prone to bouts of insanity turn out to be entirely true (at Coyote's manipulation - but still true) but the guardrails don't ever come off, which leaves those characters coming off as unreasonable instead of perceptive.

Coyote is acknowledged to kill casually, but those are all offscreen mentions we don't care about as people.

ronya fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 13, 2021

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Honestly, every named character who works for the Court seems to distrust them and be actively keeping some things away from them. We're just not clear why they actually work there, and we still have no idea what the Court actually does or who's in charge, or why they pay Doctor Disaster a salary even though his brand of whimsy seems like it's Not Their Kind Of Thing.

I'm starting to think keeping all its cards held up to the chest for so long has hurt the comic's coherence.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Honestly, every named character who works for the Court seems to distrust them and be actively keeping some things away from them. We're just not clear why they actually work there, and we still have no idea what the Court actually does or who's in charge, or why they pay Doctor Disaster a salary even though his brand of whimsy seems like it's Not Their Kind Of Thing.

I'm starting to think keeping all its cards held up to the chest for so long has hurt the comic's coherence.

Part of me wants to believe there is no actual "Court" entity and it's just layers and layers of people all doing their own thing and keeping just enough secrets that everyone else believes there's a larger entity out there, when in reality there's been no actual leadership for a long time and it's just endless shells of bureaucracy. The school runs on its own from tuition and every other department funds itself in some way. Don't ask where the food comes from; there's a department that prefers that you don't look at the mystery meat too closely.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 228 days!
It does seem weird that the closest we've seen to someone in charge is Aata, who seems more like he's in charge of the Shadow Men on the ground, but probably not where the buck stops.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the impression i've had of the court since the wheels of the comic really began to turn has always been that it is a physical manifestation of a hobbesian leviathan kickstarted and/or maintained by the ether (through whatever power the "seed bismuth" represents)

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

It does seem weird that the closest we've seen to someone in charge is Aata, who seems more like he's in charge of the Shadow Men on the ground, but probably not where the buck stops.

the headmaster?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 228 days!

Niavmai posted:

the headmaster?

i think its pointed out that putting the guy in charge of kids in charge of meeting coyote and ys is an obvious insult

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

i think its pointed out that putting the guy in charge of kids in charge of meeting coyote and ys is an obvious insult

uhhh no he's definitely the leader of the court.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 228 days!

Niavmai posted:

uhhh no he's definitely the leader of the court.

really? that would imply the school is like a super high priority for the court, which is interesting.

e: the wiki speculates that he is, which is weird because Tom has outright said he isn't.

i know its hard to talk about, but there's no shame in having harry potter brain. at least 40% of all millenials are estimated to vastly overestimate the importance of school principles due to this pervasive condition.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 13, 2021

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

really? that would imply the school is like a super high priority for the court, which is interesting.

he made the call of who became the new court medium directly against jones' recommendation without telling her, and we've not been shown any instance of him speaking to another authority, i think it's a pretty safe bet.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 228 days!

Niavmai posted:

he made the call of who became the new court medium directly against jones' recommendation without telling her, and we've not been shown any instance of him speaking to another authority, i think it's a pretty safe bet.

my edit probably should have been a new post. but here we are, in this situation we find ourselves,

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

my edit probably should have been a new post. but here we are, in this situation we find ourselves,

i'll be totally honest, all these interviews and out-of-comic revelations are really starting to annoy me. extremely bad authorial etiquette from tom.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I assume being interim Medium was just one of Llanwellyn's duties after Surma died. As headmaster he was responsible for all the replacement candidates, after all.

Niavmai posted:

i'll be totally honest, all these interviews and out-of-comic revelations are really starting to annoy me. extremely bad authorial etiquette from tom.

This sort of thing is standard for webcomic authors, who have so much contact with their audience. People are always going to be asking questions about whatever lore minutiae is on their minds, and it's easy to rattle off a casual answer. Putting huge lore dumps in the actual plots to spell these things out to the entire audience would be terrible for pacing, especially for a comic that's a slow burn to begin with.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 13, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 228 days!

Niavmai posted:

i mean, it ultimately follows from the overwhelming theme of official court-forest interactions, which is that the court does not consider the forest significant or particularily worthy of attention. the headmaster himself pays no attention in meetings, endangers smitty and parlays lives by putting them in front of ysengrin as an official greeting, etc.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

i mean, it ultimately follows from the overwhelming theme of official court-forest interactions, which is that the court does not consider the forest significant or particularily worthy of attention. the headmaster himself pays no attention in meetings, endangers smitty and parlays lives by putting them in front of ysengrin as an official greeting, etc.

i don't really care if it makes sense or not, i'm mad that people know more about the comic than i do because they read an interview, or completely unrelated text. things that haven't been revealed or explained in any way in the actual text of the comic. just poor form. disappointing.

e: the page you linked is loving huge. i'm actually pretty mad about it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 228 days!

Niavmai posted:

i don't really care if it makes sense or not, i'm mad that people know more about the comic than i do because they read an interview, or completely unrelated text. things that haven't been revealed or explained in any way in the actual text of the comic. just poor form. disappointing.

e: the page you linked is loving huge. i'm actually pretty mad about it.

that's actually only the portion that deals with adults in the court :v:

its not like a secret trove of secrets, though, tom just used to do a q&a sometimes

(was just skimming and found an example: he didn't even reveal the headmaster's name because he was waiting to reveal it in the comic)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

that's actually only the portion that deals with adults in the court :v:

holy poo poo. :smith:

Hodgepodge posted:

(was just skimming and found an example: he didn't even reveal the headmaster's name because he was waiting to reveal it in the comic)

ya ok but he'll let us know there's a higher authority than the highest one we've been introduced to. but we didn't get to know his name till later!!! :confused: