Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Coyne came in third by branch nominations, unless I'm missing some internal polling he isn't a threat.

It's Grahams that lefties who actually do poo poo in Unite are concerned about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Borrovan posted:

The two genders, Marxism & thinking it's okay to murder black people

Every gender
Every race
Punch a Nazi
In the face

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Spangly A posted:

Coyne came in third by branch nominations, unless I'm missing some internal polling he isn't a threat.
A few pages ago I posted a tweet about how a bunch of branches apparently didn't ask their members and were given 'special dispensation' to just push Coyne through, so his popularity might be even lower than the nominations seem.

E:

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 13, 2021

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Yeah, I saw it and wasn't sure what to make of it. Either I'm also in and around branches that massively breach all these rules with the explicit approval of our regional and industrial officers or it's incredibly misleading, as branch nominations are a branch exec thing, not a branch member thing. Which means 20 letters would be about right, if not more than expected.

I'll check (clearly, I'd forgotten Coyne was actually dead last by some distance, so I might just not have paid attention to the nomination meeting) but I'm not seeing the slightest reason to bring up 6000 members beyond shitstirring. Coyne would also need 25 nominations thrown for it to make any difference, and again, I've not heard a single person give a poo poo about him whatsoever.

I'll bookmark this to laugh at my hubris later.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

nope I'm wrong, it's quorum (5 members) and voted by those present. So 20 letters could be defended if the branch widely advertised the nomination meeting online, it's absolutely dodgy as poo poo if they didn't

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I went fossil hunting today and found a fossilized boat makes u think.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
FWIW i don't recall being consulted about the UNITE thing, but I might have missed it.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
You will all be delighted to know that a number of universities are receiving FoI requests about pictures of the Queen and the displaying thereof.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

OwlFancier posted:

I went fossil hunting today and found a fossilized boat makes u think.

That looks beautiful Owl.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thankyou! It is at whitby again, further along the abbey cliff. It is actually the remains of a concrete boat that served as a harbour tug for a while. Parts of it still hold water.

The tide pools have some quite mesmerising floral growth.

Looks almost red though I can't see colour properly.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 13, 2021

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I need to go to the seaside and do some photography again, what camera are you using?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

OwlFancier posted:

Thankyou! It is at whitby again, further along the abbey cliff. It is actually the remains of a concrete boat that served as a harbour tug for a while. Parts of it still hold water.

The tide pools have some quite mesmerising floral growth.

Looks almost red though I can't see colour properly.

Yeah that's a reddish, pale brown sorta colour. Gorgeous photos.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

I need to go to the seaside and do some photography again, what camera are you using?

The one off that nokia 2.4 the thread helped me pick :v:

It does panoramas too which is nice.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I made roast lamb for my mum today, got up at 8am to put it on, was done by 2pm! Put it on the table to serve and it just fell apart into shredded joy. Unf.

I discovered that new potatos make amazing roasties if you boil them for 10m first then smoosh them a little with a fork before tossing them into a pan of hot fat.

Way less hassle than proper roasties which always bugged me what with wasting the skins and all.

My mum surprised us at one point by going on a rant about how lovely Israel is being to Palestine and how its tragic nobody cares but that "some fool from Britain who thought he could draw the best lines on a map a hundred years ago" was the root cause. Best summary of Sykes Picot I've heard. Hope for her yet.

All in all, a good day. Now drinking rum and probably going to go bother crispix on IRC. (ukgoons on synirc!!)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Are there any Unite candidates willing to talk about disaffiliating from Labour? Coz if not then Coyne'll get his way even if he doesn't win.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Gbnews starts today right?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

forkboy84 posted:

Are there any Unite candidates willing to talk about disaffiliating from Labour? Coz if not then Coyne'll get his way even if he doesn't win.

Beckett has at least talked of cutting off the cash.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spangly A posted:

It's Grahams that lefties who actually do poo poo in Unite are concerned about

Coyne has always done far, far better in actual members' votes than in branch nominations, which is why people are worried.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

pale sunburnt goon reporting in. I have displeased Sol

nice day tho

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

jiggerypokery posted:

Gbnews starts today right?

Yeah, I just popped onto their site and one of the presenters said the channel wasn't so much a journalistic endeavor as it was a calling to destiny.

Eyes rolled hard.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Apparently it started 20 minutes ago and the set, visual, and sound quality are supposedly poo poo but nobody is actually watching or shared how it looks and I'm not changing the channel myself.

e: Saw some caps, it's a tiny set and a tiny desk and there's no lighting. The walls might be curtains.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 13, 2021

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
is GB News the new Murdoch channel? even morbid curiosity wouldn't be enough for me to check it out tbh

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I'm actually tempted to have a look, but then somebody will have been watching instead of the rightful nobody.

Not that people watching is the point, they just want to generate viral clips for right wing nutters to share on social media & influence political discourse that way.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

is GB News the new Murdoch channel? even morbid curiosity wouldn't be enough for me to check it out tbh

No the Murdoch one was scrapped.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Julio Cruz posted:

It's the Andrew Neil one.

Livestream on https://www.gbnews.uk/ if anybody is morbidly curious. So far it's so dark/grainy that I'm reasonably convinced nobody knows how to turn on the studio lights.

I'm finding the lack of spacing on the lower thirds very upsetting too

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

blunt posted:

then my complete and utter disinterest stands

e: Neil is oranger than the chyron :sad:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

They have a "GB News Reporter for Wales" and it's just shots of Cardiff.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

blunt posted:

Livestream on https://www.gbnews.uk/ if anybody is morbidly curious. So far it's so dark/grainy that I'm reasonably convinced nobody knows how to turn on the studio lights.

Looking at that image I'm assuming they only set up the lights with one particular skin tone in mind.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the ~loony lefty BBC~ strikes again

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Communist Thoughts posted:

pale sunburnt goon reporting in. I have displeased Sol
https://twitter.com/SolManOfficial/status/1309670790330290176

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

blunt posted:

While the lighting does give Andrew "brillo pad" Neil's hairpiece a scintillating irn-bru radiance, I don't think it's worth the side effect of disappearing people of colour.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Julio Cruz posted:

the ~loony lefty BBC~ strikes again

I mean he did reshape Israel, quite literally.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Oh dear me posted:

Beckett has at least talked of cutting off the cash.

So basically he should win but won't & that's a shame.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The Unite left standoff is as follows;

- Steve Turner is the choice of Unite Left which is the official left bloc of Unite. That's why people like Owen Jones are saying to get behind him since he's the institutionally backed left candidate. He also got the most branch nominations than anyone.
- Beckett ran despite Steve Turner being the Unite Left candidate because he felt Turner wasn't radical enough. He has been running a good Twitter game and by some polling is the frontrunner, plus a bunch of his supporters/organisers say they wouldnt vote or campaign for another candidate.
-Sharon Graham got more nominations than Beckett but fewer than Turner. She's currently refusing to stand aside owing to the fact that she's the only woman in the race and points out there's never been a woman in charge of Unite before.

Should be noted the three of them stood because they didn't think Coyne would get enough noms to be on the ballot, in which case a three way fight would have been fine.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

blunt posted:

Not going to disable my ad blocker for this, so no view for you.

Reminds me when Channel 5 started. Was there watching it on launch night lol.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Spangly A posted:

nope I'm wrong, it's quorum (5 members) and voted by those present. So 20 letters could be defended if the branch widely advertised the nomination meeting online, it's absolutely dodgy as poo poo if they didn't
Bunch of people in the replies saying they weren't told about the meetings, and the quoted tweet from Fitzsimmons definitely makes it sound like there was no online meeting.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Alan Sugar is a oval office, but going on GB News to rip the host & his former employers is mildly amusing

https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1404186467027591172?s=20

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

happyhippy posted:

Not going to disable my ad blocker for this, so no view for you.

Reminds me when Channel 5 started. Was there watching it on launch night lol.

God imagine Andrew Neil on Topless Darts :stare:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

drat that guy that fell off the stand in Wembley landed directly behind my brother. He said the medics took ages to get there and sounds pretty hosed up about seeing it. I'm glad that guy didn't land on him but jeez. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I thought GB News wasn’t going to happen because a lot of the interested parties pulled out? Did they find new morons or am I getting mixed up?