Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Wasn't it listed for 2022, anyway?

--edit:
Yeah it is.

https://msfs-cdn.azureedge.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/aj35h.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

I said come in! posted:

Has there been anything new on the helicopter expansion for Flight Sim?

gently caress a helicopter. When do I get to drive trains in this flight sim?

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie

Cojawfee posted:

image above, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I want boats.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah but is that driving a train, or is it AI trains driving on train tracks that I can strafe with my Top Gun F-14?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Combat Pretzel posted:

They're now claiming that even the XSX can do better framerates than my Threadripper + 3080? Ah gently caress off with this bullshit.

Combat Pretzel posted:

At least with the ostensible 4K real-time captures on PC they could weasel their way out of it by claiming some esoteric computer configuration, but no loving way these were real-time captures on the XSX. I mean, there's gonna be DirectX 12 in the same breath, but I doubt that'll do much, if there's such inherent issues like glass displays trashing frame rates. Or the loving VFR button (yes, button, not opened map) just being there dropping your frame rate.

It was most certainly "captured in real-time". This is a completely true and factual statement.

Now if you want to make completely unsupported assumptions about the speed at which the footage was being exhibited in the trailer above then that is of course your decision sir.

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie
this looks pretty nice https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/14/22533223/turtle-beach-velocity-flight-one-sim-2020-pc-xbox-series-x-s-recon-controller-price-features

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Wow, 180 degree rotation. That already puts it above the other options aside from Honeycomb.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That turtle beach controller actually looks pretty good for $350, color me surprised. It all depends on build quality. If it doesn't feel like a cheap toy, then that will be a great cheaper alternative to the Honeycomb set. That display seems like a useless gimmick though unless it can do more than times. I'd rather have seen some engine switches and stuff like on the Honeycomb. Though, on their site you can see that those white buttons on the right have red and green LEDs under them, making them good as toggle buttons.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jun 15, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
In regards to the screen, the website says "The full color display with dedicated controls helps you learn and configure the system on-the-fly for Microsoft Flight Simulator. Easily switch between profiles for different aircrafts and use the training feature to familiarize yourself with each control so you spend less time on the tarmac, and more time in the air.*" and the asterisk says that features will be expanded after launch. Hopefully there will be software or an API to let you do whatever you want with it.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Actually a working clock and stopwatch is pretty useful for practicing holds or dead reckoning.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah I can absolutely see myself using the hell out of the stopwatch during bush flights

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Im guessing that you can set it to display different things as well. But yeah stop watch would be neat to have for planes that don't have glass.

Curious about the throttle unit. Should be able to map the autopilot essentials on there, but it still unfortunately comes without double rotary encoders.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Kunabomber posted:

Yeah I can absolutely see myself using the hell out of the stopwatch during bush flights

Why not just use your phone today?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

sellouts posted:

Why not just use your phone today?

It’s often not taped to the yoke.
Holding a phone is hard in real cockpit and kind of unwieldy in your gaming rig.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Vahakyla posted:

It’s often not taped to the yoke.
Holding a phone is hard in real cockpit and kind of unwieldy in your gaming rig.

And having it on as a timer constantly just drains your battery uselessly.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

yeah you’re both totally right my bad

sellouts fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 16, 2021

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Youre correct, I could use my 6 foot usb cable to get from my PC to a spot within my peripheral view, then tape it to a monitor or set up the case so it doesnt tip over.
Different strokes for folks and all, but a weird hill to die on.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Im not dying about it, people can do whatever they want. It just seems strange to talk about that as the feature when the below is less than $20 and totally useful in and outside of flight sim.

https://imgur.com/a/hIi9w1z

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I mean technically I can keep using the stopwatch on the window in the game itself if you get right down to it, but I appreciate the function provided by this yoke and the increased immersion due to it being there :shrug:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Awesome, that whole setup does kick a lot of rear end and I am excited for it to be really good.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

And having it on as a timer constantly just drains your battery uselessly.
There are dozens of timers running constantly on your phone and any other general purpose computing device. Adding one more that only ticks every hundredth or thousandth of a second won't have a meaningful impact on battery life unless something incredibly stupid is happening.

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie

wolrah posted:

There are dozens of timers running constantly on your phone and any other general purpose computing device. Adding one more that only ticks every hundredth or thousandth of a second won't have a meaningful impact on battery life unless something incredibly stupid is happening.

mainly it's not the timer itself, having the screen on is generally going to be the biggest battery drain.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Strap a cheap Casio digital watch to your yoke for an authentic experience.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

tima posted:

mainly it's not the timer itself, having the screen on is generally going to be the biggest battery drain.

Yeah the point of having a timer is that you can see it and that it's always showing. The phone screen turning off is a great way for you to forget you even have a timer going.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Hind-D Early Access just got released on DCS.

I can’t try it until I get home but I’m pumped for it.

Pro Tip: it’s available for the new free 2 week trial system if you want to try it without paying for it.

Gonna recreate Metal Gear Solid and shoot down two F-16s with it and finally kill Solid Snake.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

A Hind D?!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sellouts posted:

Im not dying about it, people can do whatever they want. It just seems strange to talk about that as the feature when the below is less than $20 and totally useful in and outside of flight sim.

https://imgur.com/a/hIi9w1z

you can get a digital watch with a timer function for 10 bucks on amazon, or perhaps free at goodwill

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So my PC locked up and reset itself while I was updating stuff from the Marketplace with the new update, now when I launch my game it's stuck telling me that it's "Checking for Updates," I'm pretty sure the lock up hosed something up and now it's just looping and there's no way for me to fix it apparently. Verifying the game files via Steam doesn't find any issues and I can't find a recent forum post about it. Looks like my only option might be to completely uninstall and reset the game. Lovely.

Can't wait to download 100+GB again on a slow rear end connection because distributing through Steam would make too much sense!

edit: 1.5 hours later and I'm half-way done with the base game, still have all of the DLC to do after this.

sigher fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 17, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Zoom zoom!

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

This makes me want the goofy FSX missions back where I drop James Bond off in a secret island fortress runway and intercept a cessna interrupting a rocket launch.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

VR notes: Currently trying to make OVR toolkit work with MSFS in VR.

3090/9900k, Reverb G2

Running OpenXR, performance is great. I have to turn a few things down to make it run smoothly, but it’s a blast. WMR and OVR toolkit do not play nice together, however.

Enter SteamVR.

Holy gently caress, OVR Toolkit runs, I can overlay whatever I want, it’s loving amazing. But it’s also a blurry slideshow on a one way trip to puke town. Completely unusable even with everything turned all the way down.

Is this because I’m running a WMR headset on the “wrong” runtime, or is it possible that people are seeing poo poo VR performance because the (stupid) Microsoft product is optimized for OpenXR?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MrYenko posted:

VR notes: Currently trying to make OVR toolkit work with MSFS in VR.

3090/9900k, Reverb G2

Running OpenXR, performance is great. I have to turn a few things down to make it run smoothly, but it’s a blast. WMR and OVR toolkit do not play nice together, however.

Enter SteamVR.

Holy gently caress, OVR Toolkit runs, I can overlay whatever I want, it’s loving amazing. But it’s also a blurry slideshow on a one way trip to puke town. Completely unusable even with everything turned all the way down.

Is this because I’m running a WMR headset on the “wrong” runtime, or is it possible that people are seeing poo poo VR performance because the (stupid) Microsoft product is optimized for OpenXR?

SteamVR interacts weirdly with the Reverb G2. The default render resolution is something like 2X the actual display resolution for some reason. Try bumping it down to normal levels and seeing if that helps.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

I'm going to intercept so many commercial flights.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

DCS has a big sale going on right now.

A few weeks ago I said you should consider the super carrier over Syria, but I've done a complete 180 on that. Syria is really good and the latest update added Cyprus.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

tima posted:

For backlit LCDs, sure, but most OLED phones these days have "always on display" modes because of how they work, displaying simple text or icons is relatively cheap on battery.

Either way, in the context of using your phone as a stopwatch while playing Flight Sim, battery life really shouldn't matter one way or another unless your phone is garbage or you're doing some serious distance flying in real time.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

wolrah posted:

For backlit LCDs, sure, but most OLED phones these days have "always on display" modes because of how they work, displaying simple text or icons is relatively cheap on battery.

Either way, in the context of using your phone as a stopwatch while playing Flight Sim, battery life really shouldn't matter one way or another unless your phone is garbage or you're doing some serious distance flying in real time.

If you don’t have a little wireless charging dock at your desk so you can see your phone ring/ping/buzz/whatever even when you’re wearing headphones, what are you even doing?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Drug smuggling sounds like a fun premise for a VR flight sim even if its arcadey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOqs8dKIi4g

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I agree that the premise is cool, though I am less than impressed with that trailer. Is this a mobile port or something?

I just wish Deadstick wasn't vaporware. I haven't seen any updates from them in a while so I checked their steam page, and the only update this year was a notice that they've parted ways with their publisher. Not a great sign!

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Not only that, but they put development on pause while they figure things out. It's likely completely dead.