Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

What supports are worth building for damage? I’m working on Fischl and Xingqiu and then I’m not sure if it’s actually worth making Zhongli or Bennett do damage since they don’t actually hit that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Venti, Beidou, Xiangling, Rosaria, Chongyun, Kaeya are the big ones i think.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

CJ posted:

Venti, Beidou, Xiangling, Rosaria, Chongyun, Kaeya are the big ones i think.

Sucrose can deal pretty good damage as support too, especially with the recent swirl buff. As long as you have her C1 and/or Sacrificial Fragments on her, anyway.

Albedo is solid, reliable off-field damage if you stack defense on him.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Ultima66 posted:

What supports are worth building for damage? I’m working on Fischl and Xingqiu and then I’m not sure if it’s actually worth making Zhongli or Bennett do damage since they don’t actually hit that much.

If it's Venti, build for damage. If it's Bennet, build for base (just your level and weapon) ATK. Anyone else is either there for a non-combat job (shields, heals, battery) or to deal damage so build them accordingly. Zhongli wants HP, Jean wants ATK, etc. It's not that complicated until you start trying to force people into wacky roles they're not really suited for but if you pump enough artifacts and squint they can kinda do it. Your instinct to not make ZL/Bennet into damage machines (outside of highly specific carry Bennet groups) is correct.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I had Jean with 4xGlad and a Phys Attack cup stacked with Atk% for the longest time and she can be quite a beast as a phys carry, a totally viable role for her until others came along to take the place from her. She also heals your supports with normal attacks based on her Atk which makes it even nicer.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Can you get an off banner 5 star weapon from the standard banner? Like, could I get a Song of Broken Pines from the standard banner? Or a skyward atlas? Weapon banners are just rate up, not exclusive, correct?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Can you get an off banner 5 star weapon from the standard banner? Like, could I get a Song of Broken Pines from the standard banner? Or a skyward atlas? Weapon banners are just rate up, not exclusive, correct?

There's literally no rate up on the standard banner (the one on the far right)

You can't get any items from the Limited pool though, so no Zhongli or Homa

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tae posted:

There's literally no rate up on the standard banner (the one on the far right)

I'm asking any of the 5 star weapons are banner exclusive, like some characters are.

edit: So there are limited pool 5 star weapons. nuts :(

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

ninjoatse.cx posted:

You can only get one of the ten standard banner weapons off of standard banner (Skywards, jade spear, wgs, amos, aquila, and lost prayer).

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah I got Lost Prayer off the standard banner just the other day.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Bussamove posted:

I continue to be salty I got burned on the last weapon banner by getting Aquila Favonia instead of Broken Pines.

I have a Jade Cutter, I have no need for this stupid toothpick!

I got a skyward pride on the Broken Pines banner and while it was kinda a kick in the butt, its nice to not have to worry about ER on eula and having a basically 100% up off cooldown burst w/ a diona battery

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

frajaq posted:

why are we supposed to hate the Fatui again

They kicked Venti’s rear end, sure he was kinda asking for it but still you don’t do that to a bro

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Haven't seen it mentioned, so heads up that official map has archipelago in it:

https://webstatic-sea.mihoyo.com/app/ys-map-sea/index.html?lang=en-us#/map/5?shown_types=

There's only 28 shells so far based off of it.

Also a handy tip - drive over the bubbles ;3

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I put a little into ATK if I could help it for ZL (mostly through substats) just because sometimes I forget to switch off and start smackin but having Deathmatch on him definitely helps

Do we think aquila favonia would be worth putting on Kazuha?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Mix. posted:

I put a little into ATK if I could help it for ZL (mostly through substats) just because sometimes I forget to switch off and start smackin but having Deathmatch on him definitely helps

Do we think aquila favonia would be worth putting on Kazuha?

Unlikely. His skill lets him do giant multiplier plunge attacks that convert into Anemo damage and it's a pretty low cooldown. So while Favonia would help out his basic attack strings it would do nothing to help out his bigger main source of damage.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

mikemil828 posted:

They kicked Venti’s rear end, sure he was kinda asking for it but still you don’t do that to a bro

Venti was a collaborator

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Iron Sting seems like it'll be one of the best swords for Kazuha, whether DPS or support. If so, then I'm pretty happy with my 4 sword billets. Refinement won't even be necessary unless you really want to go full carry Kazuha.

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 13, 2021

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Unlikely. His skill lets him do giant multiplier plunge attacks that convert into Anemo damage and it's a pretty low cooldown. So while Favonia would help out his basic attack strings it would do nothing to help out his bigger main source of damage.

it's the highest base atk sword in the game and still carries passive 20% atk with a pseudo-Archaic proc on taking a hit. like with most characters it's going to be a strong stat-stick for raw damage regardless of the phys% being useless, it's just a question of whether you want to go that route or something like Iron Sting that boosts his team support etc.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
As a support character who seems to rely on Swirl synergies and stacking EM, I'd be both surprised and disappointed if stacking attack power on him turns out to be effective.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I'm asking any of the 5 star weapons are banner exclusive, like some characters are.

edit: So there are limited pool 5 star weapons. nuts :(

You can always check the "Details" tab of a banner to see for yourself.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Should I focus on finishing the main story at AR38? I've put it off since I'm doing the commissions, running through my resin, and doing the limited-time quest stuff. The main story and all those side quests will still be there when I get around to them. Unless I'm missing something good like that teapot thing?

I'm up to 65 wishes on the character event banner. I really don't want Klee but I'll probably get a 5-star spear I can't use. I'd love to get Sucrose so I have one dedicated anemo user, I desperately need c1 for Fischl since she's my only dmg dealer, and I'm using Barbara so why not fill her out if possible. I need 180 wishes to for-sure get my first 5-star character right? I'm sitting on thousands of XP books and weapon ore just waiting on something to put them into. I leveled c0 Fischl and c1 Bennett then there's Barbara 20 levels behind them and that's my team. 2 healers and a bow user. :banjo:

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Sanctum posted:

I'm up to 65 wishes on the character event banner. I really don't want Klee but I'll probably get a 5-star spear I can't use. I'd love to get Sucrose so I have one dedicated anemo user, I desperately need c1 for Fischl since she's my only dmg dealer, and I'm using Barbara so why not fill her out if possible. I need 180 wishes to for-sure get my first 5-star character right? I'm sitting on thousands of XP books and weapon ore just waiting on something to put them into. I leveled c0 Fischl and c1 Bennett then there's Barbara 20 levels behind them and that's my team. 2 healers and a bow user. :banjo:

You can't get 5* weapons on character banners. 90 wishes guarantees you a 5* character, 180 wishes guarantees you the banner character if you don't get them at 90.

LibrarianCroaker fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 13, 2021

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Sanctum posted:

Should I focus on finishing the main story at AR38? I've put it off since I'm doing the commissions, running through my resin, and doing the limited-time quest stuff. The main story and all those side quests will still be there when I get around to them. Unless I'm missing something good like that teapot thing?

The story unlocks more stuff, including another weekly boss. Also most likely inazuma is locked behind it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sanctum posted:

there's various stuff they lock behind story progress so it's a good idea to stay fairly current. like you mentioned, the teapot system requires completing Liyue. prior events (Dragonspine, Lantern Rite) have also had story requirements like the current one, though all have been pretty lax. there's probably other things too, but i usually don't procrastinate story too hard (my character quests/hangouts are a different story) so i haven't run into issues to know offhand.

getting locked out of stuff due to your story progress and having more pressure on doing it seems like a bad time though, so chipping away to stay closer to current is a good idea imo.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Sanctum posted:

The teapot thing is pretty good. It's eventually 60 free resin per week plus other stuff. You only need to finish Act 1 of the story to get it.

But you're also missing out on one or two weekly bosses, which will be required to level some characters' talents past level 6 (and you'll want to start stockpiling them sooner rather than later as there's no other way to accelerate their accumulation). I'd recommend doing at the very least both parts of the Zhong Li character story quest when you have the time to enable it, along with whatever main storyline progression that entails (one of the unlockable weekly bosses comes through the main story, the other through the character quest I mentioned).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 13, 2021

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

i love puzzle adventure islands

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
The islands had a surprising amount of content. I’m impressed. Wish the combat difficulty was higher for the higher AR folks.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mang Tomas posted:

The islands had a surprising amount of content. I’m impressed. Wish the combat difficulty was higher for the higher AR folks.

Don't monkey paw this, judging by what beta testers are saying about Inazuma.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Tae posted:

Don't monkey paw this, judging by what beta testers are saying about Inazuma.

it makes sense if true since it would be the first time going into an Archon territory that's outright hostile from the start to the Traveller?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Mailer posted:

If it's Venti, build for damage. If it's Bennet, build for base (just your level and weapon) ATK. Anyone else is either there for a non-combat job (shields, heals, battery) or to deal damage so build them accordingly. Zhongli wants HP, Jean wants ATK, etc. It's not that complicated until you start trying to force people into wacky roles they're not really suited for but if you pump enough artifacts and squint they can kinda do it. Your instinct to not make ZL/Bennet into damage machines (outside of highly specific carry Bennet groups) is correct.

Yeah my Venti is built up for damage already, as well as my Jean. Bennett seems extremely borderline because all his damage is basically 1 Q every 15 seconds or so. It's mainly just a question of if I should convert my HP/Healing Bonus items to damage, since his Q will heal way more than enough anyways.

Here's where my actively used supports sit in terms of stats:

Bennett - Skyward Swiord, 1300 atk, 15% CR 62% CD, 218% ER, 4 Noblesse
XQ - Sac Sword, 1900 atk, 42% CR 75% CD, 176% ER, 4 Noblesse (working on getting 2 Hydro 2 Noblesse atm)
ZL - Black Tassel, Full hp build, 4 Millileth
Venti - Favonius Bow, 1400 atk, 63% CR 98% CD, 204% ER, 4 VV
Jean - Festering Desire, 2100 atk, 11% CR 88% CD, 169% ER, 4 VV (Atk hat for more healing, real CR is 23% because of Festering Desire)
Fischl - Stringless, 1800 atk, 59% CR 95% CD, 110% ER, 2 TF 2 Glad not fully leveled
XL - Favonius Spear, 1200 atk, 22% CR 67% CD, 168% ER, 2 CW 2, weapon and artifacts fairly unleveled
Diona -Sac Bow, 1300 atk, 11% CR 62% CD, 202% ER, 4 Noblesse, mostly just picked artifacts for ER substat

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Mang Tomas posted:

I'm only AR 35 but I'm enjoying the difficulty. I've actually died here more than anywhere else on account of how precarious some of the fights can be. You can very easily get btfo the top of a towering pillar island by a mitachurl shield after getting freeze-locked by a hydro mage/cryo crossbow hili, or overload-exploded off a high place by alternating pyro/electro crossbow hilis, and either of those is a guaranteed plummet to your demise. That said, it would be cool if there were a sliding scale of monsters as you got to higher AR, where regular hilis get gradually swapped out for mitachurls and mitachurls get swapped for the massive gently caress off ones that jump around and throw boulders and give themselves overshields and poo poo. Instead of a samachurl, you get an abyss mage, that kinda thing.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

SlimGoodbody posted:

I'm only AR 35 but I'm enjoying the difficulty. I've actually died here more than anywhere else on account of how precarious some of the fights can be. You can very easily get btfo the top of a towering pillar island by a mitachurl shield after getting freeze-locked by a hydro mage/cryo crossbow hili, or overload-exploded off a high place by alternating pyro/electro crossbow hilis, and either of those is a guaranteed plummet to your demise. That said, it would be cool if there were a sliding scale of monsters as you got to higher AR, where regular hilis get gradually swapped out for mitachurls and mitachurls get swapped for the massive gently caress off ones that jump around and throw boulders and give themselves overshields and poo poo. Instead of a samachurl, you get an abyss mage, that kinda thing.
There's WL, but I never got the impression that the WL system was supposed to make the game actually harder; it's just trying to offset the natural power increase of just grinding out commissions for AR levels by giving the monsters a few extra levels. It's really easy to outscale the WL increases by putting a bit of effort into building an actual team in the AR 30 range (and then a second for Abyss or a carry of a different element so you don't just have to slowly chew pyro slimes to death with your supports).

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Ultima66 posted:

XQ - Sac Sword, 1900 atk, 42% CR 75% CD, 176% ER, 4 Noblesse (working on getting 2 Hydro 2 Noblesse atm)

how in the hell did you get him up to 1900 attack?!

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

I agree and the enemies in the highest lvls of the abyss and domains DO have extra abilities for the abyss mages which they could apply.

I do remember the start of a world level bump being hard but I’m asking for another world level bump for the people already at the highest AR’s. With the ability to lower World levels at will they can easily lower it for the people who aren’t ready for it.

I love the combat and wish it was more engaging at Teyvat as well. Right now at AR 56 I don’t even need to do reactions to kill a group.

Basically bring the abyss lector’s back to the surface and make me eat my words pls.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Would you all recommend Prototype Archaic or Serpent Spine for Diluc? I've been using Archaic, but I bought Gnostic Hymn this time around so I'll be able to get Serpent Spine as well.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't think new areas need to bring too much combat difficulty, but would agree having at least one or two instances like the Guyun 4 Ruin Guard fight or some of the stuff in Dragonspine (Giant Boar, first meeting the Ruin Graders, the ice cave challenge etc) doesn't hurt them any. i still expect these islands to at least throw a Maguu fight at us before he just becomes farmable there, but so far there hasn't been a lot else. the island that made you climb the three mountain towers and kill the enemies atop was pretty fun though, just from the feeling of slowly working your way up and across the whole thing.

i generally just care that areas look nice and are giving me things to explore and admire, as well as having fun puzzles. with high-difficulty combat coming along pretty regularly in events, i feel pretty sated.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
What is the actual gameplay of this? Is it like BotW? What do you do in game? I tried watching something on youtube, but it seemed the beginning was mostly cutscenes, which is cool, but what does "end game" look like, or is it a set amount of content then you're done? Or like... What do you do?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Boba Pearl posted:

What is the actual gameplay of this? Is it like BotW? What do you do in game? I tried watching something on youtube, but it seemed the beginning was mostly cutscenes, which is cool, but what does "end game" look like, or is it a set amount of content then you're done? Or like... What do you do?

Early/Midgame is mostly exploring the map. Which involves climbing things, jumping off of tall things you just climbed, solving environment puzzles, and picking up collectibles.

Endgame is doing daily quests and fighting groups of enemies in instanced arenas.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Harrow posted:

Would you all recommend Prototype Archaic or Serpent Spine for Diluc? I've been using Archaic, but I bought Gnostic Hymn this time around so I'll be able to get Serpent Spine as well.

Serpent Spine outperforms some 5* weapons, so definitely that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
like literally climbing where you go up the wall, or figuratively climbing where you find a path?