Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

jesus WEP posted:

hangman got busted open pretty bad in their match but iirc it was just like he scratched his head on the underside of a turnbuckle or something, just a weird accident that could happen to anyone

He was bleeding from the mouth early in the match, so it was probably a stiff shot or Hangman bit his tongue during a bump or something. Then it was the turnbuckle scrape after that. Neither was from anything unsafe though, and Hangman cutting a promo to Cage while a bloody mess after that looked badass as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

MassRafTer posted:

He actually did randomly respond to Bix last year (also about Dark Side) and quickly stopped replying when Bix came at him.

Go figure.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I love him so much.

https://twitter.com/mkurtz91/status/1404150964844744710

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://mobile.twitter.com/sundownmotel/status/1403863235304910850

Just an incredibly stupid take on so many levels

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

His first tweet isn't entirely wrong though. It did get a ton of attention from people that normally wouldn't give any kind of poo poo about wrestling.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Total Divas definitely created new fans and helped mask WWE's decline at the time. They were still losing viewership overall, but it wasn't as big as it could have been.

This is a far cry from it making wrestling cool and current for the first time ever.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
My mom has seen every episode of Miz and Misses and knows about The Bellas/Total Divas shows but that has never translated to her watching or having any interest in wrestling. To most people it's just another trashy reality TV show to watch, not a gateway drug into becoming a wrestling fan.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Imagine the level of sheer disappointment in getting really into a reality show and then deciding to check out what they do in WWE. Enjoy all 3 minutes of it, I guess.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Total Divas consistently outperformed TNA and TNA is going to outlast them.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Was this guy locked in a time capsule during the late 90s?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

JT Smiley posted:

Was this guy locked in a time capsule during the late 90s?

He recently wrote a book on WWE history!

His research was so thorough he concluded Vince and Linda are "forever devoted to each other."

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Total Divas def created new wrestling fans that were social media oriented. Very few of them landed in the WWE-only category and def not the high spending WWE only superfan that helps keep a company visible.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/NJPWFanClubNA/status/1403746420264341506

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Guys like Hangman, Trent and Lance Archer decided that getting paid more money over a longer, more stable contract, a fraction of the travel, fewer dates (and thus fewer bumps) and a much, much higher ceiling to their stardom was probably a better move for their career and a handful of NJPW fans have never forgiven them for it.

There are people that will tell you with a straight face that Trent ruined his career going to AEW because he could've stayed in NJPW and been the Chaos mole.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

MJeff posted:

Guys like Hangman, Trent and Lance Archer decided that getting paid more money over a longer, more stable contract, a fraction of the travel, fewer dates (and thus fewer bumps) and a much, much higher ceiling to their stardom was probably a better move for their career and a handful of NJPW fans have never forgiven them for it.

There are people that will tell you with a straight face that Trent ruined his career going to AEW because he could've stayed in NJPW and been the Chaos mole.

Gedo is doing a fantastic job of running off all the gaijins.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I mean, Gedo's just the booker. The office is the one that seems to in general react to any given gaijin leaving the company with "eh we can always find more white guys". Which, to be fair, they have so far. They only push like one or two gaijin at an actual high level and the rest are just midcarders, so.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm sure Hangman misses being the pin eater in random Elite trios and going 3-6 in G1s

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

MJeff posted:

I mean, Gedo's just the booker. The office is the one that seems to in general react to any given gaijin leaving the company with "eh we can always find more white guys". Which, to be fair, they have so far. They only push like one or two gaijin at an actual high level and the rest are just midcarders, so.

Let's use Osprey to get the great o Khan over!

Let's use Jay White to get evil and dick Togo over!

Wait why are you guys leaving

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The first is a very smart and good call.

The latter isn't what's happening. They view Jay as a top guy and will push him as one for as long as he's there. If he leaves, they'll have him put someone else over on the way out, but if anything, the point is going to be for EVIL to get Jay over as a babyface.

When they decide to pull the trigger on that face turn in about 14 years.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jay’s from the dojo. He’s one of the few gaijin they’ve got to fully drink the njpw koolaid.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

For Hangman to sniff the IWGP title would mean having to work Japan full time and even than given the talent they had than (and in 2019 and even today) it probably wouldn't have happened. So yeah going to AEW where he'd clearly have a clear title path is total the right choice. Same for Trent as while he hasn't won a title he's clearly in a main event act and in AEW tag teams will mean way more than they ever will in New Japan.

Now Lance you can make case is twisting in the wind right now in AEW whereas he had a clear upper middle card role in New Japan. But probably travel swung that choice (and also Covid made it also the very correct choice too).

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Trent even had a verbal deal to re-sign with New Japan so it's not like he was run out, he just got a better offer.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

NJPW management remembers the insanity about the Brock belt bullshit and isn't going to belt an outsider on a freelance deal.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

coconono posted:

NJPW management remembers the insanity about the Brock belt bullshit and isn't going to belt an outsider on a freelance deal.

Brock's contractual status wasn't the problem they just didn't want to pay him the kind of money he was contracted for. AJ did the same kind of deal and got the belt.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRafTer posted:

Brock's contractual status wasn't the problem they just didn't want to pay him the kind of money he was contracted for. AJ did the same kind of deal and got the belt.

I thought the brock belt went to Inoki's fed.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Also given the fact NJPW allowed Lio Rush to sign with AEW while under New Japan contract means the relationship is a lot more open these days

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

coconono posted:

I thought the brock belt went to Inoki's fed.

It did but because New Japan chose to strip him rather than pay the agreed to contracted rate. They signed him for a ton of money per match, he didn't draw so they didn't want to pay.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SatoshiMiwa posted:

For Hangman to sniff the IWGP title would mean having to work Japan full time and even than given the talent they had than (and in 2019 and even today) it probably wouldn't have happened. So yeah going to AEW where he'd clearly have a clear title path is total the right choice. Same for Trent as while he hasn't won a title he's clearly in a main event act and in AEW tag teams will mean way more than they ever will in New Japan.

Now Lance you can make case is twisting in the wind right now in AEW whereas he had a clear upper middle card role in New Japan. But probably travel swung that choice (and also Covid made it also the very correct choice too).

Uh. What? Lance in AEW is pushed so much more than he was in NJPW.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Lance Archer is also tall and over forty, not having the fly to Japan is a BIG perk.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

karmicknight posted:

Lance Archer is also tall and over forty, not having the fly to Japan is a BIG perk.

I'm pretty sure this was the main reason he gave for jumping. He was happy enough in NJPW to the point where he went all in on handling the marketing for the G1 opener in Dallas that the company itself didn't really feel the need to do

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Archer also wanted an actual contract for a change.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Lance is p clearly getting a bigger push in AEW than he ever did in New Japan. Dude was a forever midcard guy in Suzuki-Gun and the highest he got, after almost a decade in the promotion mind you, was to act as a belt pillow for Mox for a couple of months, whereas in AEW he is at least treated as a top contender and a legit threat to anyone he faces.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
To be fair, New Japan did put the tag belts on KES multiple times.

Is Davey Jr. signed anywhere now? It looks like he's just doing random indie dates.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

sticklefifer posted:

To be fair, New Japan did put the tag belts on KES multiple times.

And to be completely fair, the IWGP tag belts were a complete afterthought until very recently.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Cerebral Bore posted:

And to be completely fair, the IWGP tag belts were a complete afterthought until very recently.

Kinda still are, to be honest.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Cerebral Bore posted:

To also be fair, most NJPW belts are because there are so goddamn many of them.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

sticklefifer posted:

Is Davey Jr. signed anywhere now? It looks like he's just doing random indie dates.

I think he was holding out for a WWE offer that never came so he's just an indie guy now

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://twitter.com/DashingChrisBey/status/1404425436797358088?s=20

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

just cuz his wife slept with you doesn't mean you have to stick up for him, mang.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I have my own company. Not a wrestling company, but a company. Can I hate him?