Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
wonderful flock development happening on all fronts. i'm excited to have ducklings in the thread, love the stylish pantaloon birbs, and can't believe how quickly large marge's chicks have grown up :unsmith:

bless this mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Joburg posted:

I love the sign and your cute floofy chicks!

The teenagers (young adults?) and the adults moved separately out to the field during the Great Chicken Shuffle. I really like this hen, she’s one of the Sapphire Olive Eggers.

Large Marge’s chicks moved to the Teenager Coop. Those meat chicks are absolutely gigantic.

And the big news is that one of the two last broody hens hatched an egg this afternoon! All the eggs are due to hatch tomorrow, so this one is precocious.

wonderful wonderful

perepelki posted:

wonderful flock development happening on all fronts. i'm excited to have ducklings in the thread, love the stylish pantaloon birbs, and can't believe how quickly large marge's chicks have grown up :unsmith:

bless this mess

perfectly wonderful

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

That has to be the hugest chicken I've ever seen.

Duckling update!

They have outgrown the pool and are now in the duck house proper, with some dividers added. We installed a plastic tub lid with non-slip surface to attempt to contain the watery mess. They love smashing face into water and shaking it everywhere. They also now realize we brings food, water and treats.

Our labrador went from thinking they were tennis balls, to nose-bill touch while he wagged.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Yooper posted:

Duckling update!

:3:

quote:

Our labrador went from thinking they were tennis balls, to nose-bill touch while he wagged.
:kimchi:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Yooper posted:

That has to be the hugest chicken I've ever seen.

Duckling update!

They have outgrown the pool and are now in the duck house proper, with some dividers added. We installed a plastic tub lid with non-slip surface to attempt to contain the watery mess. They love smashing face into water and shaking it everywhere. They also now realize we brings food, water and treats.

:stwoon:

they. are. so. cuuuuuuute

my heart is melting

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Off chicken sub-reddit

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

This page is just what I need on a Monday morning :swoon:

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
My partner got a couple of pictures of me and my special girl:

The fact that she wants to climb up into my lap, snuggle under my arm, and receive pets and scritches from me when I didn't expect any of that from a chicken is why I'm suddenly a bird person

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Our Molly does exactly the same thing. In fact she often demands it before [her] bedtime.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

what a lovely hen :3:

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

BHB posted:

The fact that she wants to climb up into my lap, snuggle under my arm, and receive pets and scritches from me when I didn't expect any of that from a chicken is why I'm suddenly a bird person
she loves you :kimchi:

it's been said before, but this is a perfect thread

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

perepelki posted:

she loves you :kimchi:

watching her behavior change as she got more used to me and began to trust me has been so gratifying. It's not like she overnight became tame or stopped acting like a chicken, she just began to accommodate me in her life and make it clear that she wanted to be around me (and THEN go after whatever speck another chicken happened to be chasing). She loves me, but in a special chicken-y way.

and I just love her right back.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Beautiful hens, roosterlings, ducklings, and quail ITT

Bertha had 3 chicks

And Blazer hatched 4

It’s been difficult getting pictures between the 90+ degree heat and the mother hen instincts. We gathered the chicks up to vaccinate them and Blazer did a snapping turtle maneuver on me. She was hanging off my arm so I have a bruise and a bit of skin missing and that was through a fleece jacket! She’s a fantastic mom!

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Wow, go Blazer! she's a contender for mother of the year. cute babies, thank you for your sacrifice to get their pictures :3:

today we had a sudden windstorm while the chickens were roaming. thankfully they all ran towards the chicken tractor right away, and i was able to put them up safely. that was way too exciting. living in the desert is really a new experience!

i have been trying to get a good picture of Izzie so i can share how his feathers are coming in. he did not want to hold still at all, but this isn't too bad:

he is getting interesting white spots. there are more on his breast, and a couple on his back. i haven't had a chicken with this color combo before

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Ft Clux is coming along. The hardest part is done. The 6' perimeter fence is put in. I still have to predator proof the main pen, chicken wire the base of the perimeter fence, make a gate for the fence, and hang the deterrent strings.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

ILL Machina posted:

First roosty crow with fluffy boots

https://i.imgur.com/NyCTF7l.gifv

The rooster next door's getting pretty good at his crowing. They almost never end in a squeak now! (This video is not him, I've never been over to see him)

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

BHB posted:

My partner got a couple of pictures of me and my special girl:

Here's Molly having her daily cuddle yesterday:

and some dust & sunbathing today with Bella & Molly.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

spookygonk posted:

Here's Molly having her daily cuddle yesterday:

what a sweetie :3:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

the chickens had an encounter with our cat today and they were alarmed. a few of them hopped on my back, since i had knelt down to help facilitate cat/chicken introductions. ah well maybe they can be friends later

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 9, 2022

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

:qq: the birds :neckbeard:

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

the only quail i've managed to produce who was truly affectionate - as in actively jumping into my lap and seeking to be held - was my darling sundae. sadly, she didn't live long. there seems to be a correlation between people-friendliness and lack of survival skills :(

if anybody's wondering what happened to my plan to wean them off free-ranging and back into cage life... every time i stepped outside they would all start squawking and jumping up and down and frantically trying to push themselves through the gaps in the mesh, and it kind of felt like their way of telling me they'd rather risk early hawk death than give up free-ranging. right now they get about 2 hours a day out of the cage. i try to stay with them at all times, but the birds of prey are wise to my tricks now and as soon as i have to go back inside for a moment, they know. today i stepped back inside to stir a boiling pot, and within seconds i heard two hawks calling to each other - one somewhere across the block and the other one in the tree next door lol

:argh:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Ducklings are getting big fast.

They now recognize us and get the zoomies while peeping madly. It's cool.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Yooper posted:

They now recognize us and get the zoomies while peeping madly. It's cool.
i am totally in love with your ducklings :3: look at them!

do you have a pond or something? i've always wanted dux, but don't have any water for them to swim in, and reports vary on whether a kiddie pool is enough to keep them happy

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

perepelki posted:

the only quail i've managed to produce who was truly affectionate - as in actively jumping into my lap and seeking to be held - was my darling sundae. sadly, she didn't live long. there seems to be a correlation between people-friendliness and lack of survival skills :(
I’m imagining some scientific study about the cute hapless quails manipulating humans to protect them in order to live infinitesimally longer lives… someone should make that happen.

perepelki posted:

i've always wanted dux, but don't have any water for them to swim in

Seconded. We get like 10” of precipitation a year so ducks would be sad here. They are so cute though!

Rose and Rose’s hormones decided she was done being a mom and she needs to lay eggs again. Her chicks are 4 weeks old tomorrow, so I guess it’s not super early for weaning but it sure seems like it. :qq: Poor motherless babies! (They don’t seem too bothered by her absence so maybe it was time on both sides of the equation, but they are soooo little. I am constantly going outside to count them and make sure everyone is there.)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

My chicken who was laying shelless eggs seems to have stopped laying at all. We took her to the vet who said just give her calcium supplements so we did that. Now she seems to be totally fine and hasn’t laid an egg for 2 weeks. She sometimes goes and hangs out in a nest box for a bit but seems otherwise fine.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

perepelki posted:

i am totally in love with your ducklings :3: look at them!

do you have a pond or something? i've always wanted dux, but don't have any water for them to swim in, and reports vary on whether a kiddie pool is enough to keep them happy

They have a ton of character, way more than we expected. It's our first poultry so it's all quite new.

No pond yet, they have an extreme love of water though. Even when we fill the water dish they go bonkers and try to get into the pour. We need to wait until they get actual feathers (or dry them off afterwards) to let them go for a swim, they lack the waterproof oils from the mother so they could get chilled.

They'll get a kiddie pool in the future though, we just need to figure a way to keep it from turning into a duck poo poo pool. We've got a lot of raptors flying about, coyotes, and wolves so we can't let them wander (unattended) to the little creek or neighbors pond.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Aramoro posted:

My chicken who was laying shelless eggs seems to have stopped laying at all. We took her to the vet who said just give her calcium supplements so we did that. Now she seems to be totally fine and hasn’t laid an egg for 2 weeks. She sometimes goes and hangs out in a nest box for a bit but seems otherwise fine.

Keep an eye on her abdomen to check if it seems swollen or lumpy. I had a chicken with egg problems who ended up laying internally after a period of weird eggs.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Yooper posted:

we just need to figure a way to keep it from turning into a duck poo poo pool

lol good luck

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Enfys posted:

lol good luck

Yes, we are realizing that ducks are on a whole different level. It sounds like someone is stepping on ketchup packets all the time as they squirt poo poo.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/uGvoILM.mp4

First time in the water!

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

the one in the middle practicing its dives is adorable

Yooper posted:

Yes, we are realizing that ducks are on a whole different level.

wait until your first broody poo poo. (you'll know it when you smell it)

ducks are chickens with all the difficulty settings turned up

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

:swoon:

i love them

also

Enfys posted:

lol good luck

we had some ducks when i was a kid, and they messed their pool terribly and headed for our in ground swimming pool because it was much more interesting

we did not keep ducks very long

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
speaking of ducks, a few of ours:

New Girl (no longer the newest duck by a sizable margin):

Ankka:

Bianca and Big Grey:

all of ours are Muscovies now, though at one point we had Runners, Anconas, and another kind I don't remember.

bonus pic of Tiny Man:

Good Birds, all of them

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

BHB posted:

bonus pic of Tiny Man:

Good Birds, all of them

LOOK AT HIM!!!

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

BHB posted:

bonus pic of Tiny Man:

Good Birds, all of them

LOOK AT HIS JEWELRY!!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

How loud are bantam roosters?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Very.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

i love tiny man so much ❤️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

tiny man is a worthy guardian to the duck kingdom