Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

OgNar posted:

Its sitting on the table in Margs place, soon as you walk in on the left.

Hahaha of course it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

OgNar posted:

Its sitting on the table in Margs place, soon as you walk in on the left.

I'd swear I ran around clicking on/trying to scan everything, but welp. Sorry for bothering you, sea monkeys.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

McCracAttack posted:

They had a family....

Weird, Snowstalkers seem virtually extinct in my version of the game.

Because I killed them. And not just the men, the women and children too!

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Iacen posted:

Weird, Snowstalkers seem virtually extinct in my version of the game.

Because I killed them. And not just the men, the women and children too!

I too went full Anakin

I thought I needed to kill them to get the fur. Realized afterwards it was on the ground.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

My "hey let's check out the original on XSX for a half hour" has seemed to turned into a full replay. I actually find myself missing the Seatruck for carting around the Prawn, though I've got the Cyclops blueprints so I guess that'll be moot soon.

The pop in is so bad though, my god. It literally looks like Myth 2 at times.

Also, I have found only ONE stalker tooth. I have a fully upgraded scanner and it's only ever shown the one. I've been around stalkers, murdered them, stasis rifled them, bonked them with the Seamoth. I don't remember ever having this much trouble finding stalker teeth on my first playthrough. Am I missing something?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Escape Goat posted:

Also, I have found only ONE stalker tooth. I have a fully upgraded scanner and it's only ever shown the one. I've been around stalkers, murdered them, stasis rifled them, bonked them with the Seamoth. I don't remember ever having this much trouble finding stalker teeth on my first playthrough. Am I missing something?

I seem to remember giving them bits of metal salvage to gnaw on made their teeth fall out quicker. I also remember spending a LOT of time hanging around the drat things waiting for teeth. Glad they changed that in below zero.

Edit: Ah, apparently there's also a cap on how many stalker teeth can be dropped in a given area. So if you're following one and it's not dropping teeth, look around for other teeth that need to be picked up first.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 12, 2021

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Escape Goat posted:

My "hey let's check out the original on XSX for a half hour" has seemed to turned into a full replay. I actually find myself missing the Seatruck for carting around the Prawn, though I've got the Cyclops blueprints so I guess that'll be moot soon.

Yeah, they break teeth eating salvage. You don’t get them from killing them. Drop some salvage and every three or four bites they’ll drop a tooth. It’s dumb.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Thanks for the tips. Guess I just need to bait them with the salvage.

Probably on my first playthrough I spent like 15 hours in the shallows / weeds messing about and had time to acquire them, whereas this time I kind of "speed ran" to get the Seamoth etc. and built my first base in the red weed area instead.

Kinda nice how the game is so disorienting that even a second playthrough doesn't feel like I'm playing it on rails.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

McCracAttack posted:

Edit: Ah, apparently there's also a cap on how many stalker teeth can be dropped in a given area. So if you're following one and it's not dropping teeth, look around for other teeth that need to be picked up first.

In this case maybe I'll just suck it up and build a scanner smack in the middle of the shallows, because this resource is completely bottlenecking the progression.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think I’m getting close to the end of BZ and while I’m definitely enjoying it, I am developing this sense of why the OG was so much more compelling.

In the OG, you’ve been marooned here in this strange place, and your singular goal is to go up, to get off the planet, and the only way to do that is by clawing your way down, ever deeper into the very abyss you’re trying to escape. It’s such a fantastic tension.

In BZ, you’re there by choice and your goal is to run errands for a while.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Just getting around to playing BZ. I'm not sure what it is exactly, but I somehow didn't mind my character constantly describing what I was doing in HZD, but it's super annoying here.

Also the original beta voice actors were better, and the original plot. It was a lot simpler before the rewrites and that's a good thing. Maybe someone will do a story mod at some point.

Exploration is still great though.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Escape Goat posted:

Myth 2: Soulblighter? I thought I was the only one who still thought about that game. I don't remember it having bad pop in though.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Right, so I didn't know that the Sea Emperor juveniles dispersed and became reaper sized after you let them loose, so as I was coming back from the Lost River in my Sea Moth and was nearing the surface I pinged the sonar and just about went to brown alert when I saw a completely unknown betentacled leviathan form out of the red grid coming right at me. I hadn't recalled installing the Gargantuan Leviathan mod but was abruptly making my peace with being lunch and then it turned and I recognized the silhouette.

But gently caress.

I was expecting maybe a straying juvenile Ghost Leviathan not a Sea Emperor.

Years after it's come out and Subnautica still surprises me.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

resting bort face posted:

Myth 2: Soulblighter? I thought I was the only one who still thought about that game. I don't remember it having bad pop in though.

Yep. Not pop in itself, but the low LOD in subnautica on Xbox looks like an early 3D game with a rudimentary textured height map, like Myth 2.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

One of the worst things about Below Zero is how it went for breadth over depth to the detriment of, like, everything.

The map is kilometers wide and expects you to truck all that distance over and over again, but you don’t go anywhere near as deep as the original, and the deeper areas are boring in comparison.

The story covers a bunch of different things but none of it is particularly compelling or even all that developed.

There’s a bunch of modules and blueprints and plans, but you don’t need most of it and you can get by with a large room and some bioreactors.

The game clearly expects you to make multiple bases, but doesn’t provide any way to easily set new ones up across its massive map and the materials required to kit your base out are a pain to farm.

Below Zero is More Subnautica, but it’s not Good Subnautica.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I kinda agree, as someone who played subnautica through the beta and ended up completing it several times, BZ is a swing and a miss for the most part. The extra base sections are neat but there aren't any real neat places to put them or reasons to build them. You can get random-lucked out of critical plot areas and critical equipment which makes the user experience really uneven. The areas just aren't as interesting and the ones that are distinct and interesting have little relevant with no reason to go to back to them. The seatruck's slowdown is unnecessary and punishing. Base power isn't balanced, the main story(ies?) feel disjointed and it's clear it went through a bunch of rewrites and what came out the other side isn't very compelling. It's a real shame because technically the game runs better and I really like the format.

Modding the seatruck to have no slowdown and adding in the pull-from-storage crafting mod really helped the game's enjoyment though, at least for me.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
Wow. At the very end of the original Subnautica, right after I released the sea emperor young and cured the infection, my save appears to be corrupted and I can’t load to finish the game.

I experienced two crashes leading up to this point and lost hours of gameplay each time. Each time I considered it irritating and frustrating but still reloaded and continued playing the game.

Now I simply can’t load my save at all. I’m playing on Switch so I don’t think there’s anything I can do.

What a deeply frustrating, ignominious end to an otherwise fabulous game. How incredibly disappointing that this is how it ends.

I almost want to ask for a refund, tbh.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

we probably need an :unknownworlds: emoticon at this point

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

That is brutal. Wow.

Also I’m quite curious to see it run on Switch considering it is running around 15-40fps on series X :sax:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
It's not great on switch.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Are there any mods for the OG that substantially mix it up enough that it would be worth another playthrough?

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Give me a procedural-generation Subnautica that just keeps getting deeper and weirder until I come out the other side of the planet with a Cyclops made of leviathan bones and a solid gold Prawn Suit with six arms.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

VectorSigma posted:

Give me a procedural-generation Subnautica that just keeps getting deeper and weirder until I come out the other side of the planet with a Cyclops made of leviathan bones and a solid gold Prawn Suit with six arms.

Why you gotta say stuff like that, now we’re all thinking about it.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

It would be a snap generating new fish species on the fly. There's not too much variation in body plans so you could have decent diversity without getting No Man's Sky levels of silly. You could even run some Electric Sheep bullshit for coloration patterns and make every new species truly unique.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Parallelwoody posted:

Are there any mods for the OG that substantially mix it up enough that it would be worth another playthrough?

Field Creators Studio has a ton of expanded industry stuff but all their mods are down right now pending an update. There are a shotload pf cool mods out there in general though. Cyclops docking, drillers, wind power...

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I've put in like 22 hours into BZ in survival mode.
I feel like so far:
+ finding fragments/blueprints feels like it goes way faster than in Subnautica.
+ I'm not 100% sure but it really feels like the minerals respawn near my base.
- The seatruck feels like it's held together by duct tape and prayers. I've just left it be in pristine condition and returned to it later finding damage to repair.
I miss the seamoth and cyclops.
+ At least the prawn suit is in it.
+ You can custom build the Seatruck into a glorified long haul RV? Cool.
- Come at me, bros/binches, but in survival mode with hunger and thirst turned on I reached that point where that becomes negligible way faster than in Subnautica. I played the first one and beat it like a month before BZ came out, and so wasn't exactly going in blind wrt what to do to overcome it. It never felt anything less than trivial though.
+ I'm really digging the new ecosystems.
+ Now that I have some foods that give me a buff to body temp. I might start exploring the land in the next few sessions.

I started building an undersea castle since I barely scratched the surface with base building except for the essentials in Subnautica.

Overall having a blast and have not even done much on land yet.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

frogge posted:

Overall having a blast and have not even done much on land yet.

You keep on having a blast, you. :shobon:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Escape Goat posted:

In this case maybe I'll just suck it up and build a scanner smack in the middle of the shallows, because this resource is completely bottlenecking the progression.

jesus. Hunting those without a scanner room?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
In 200ish hours of subnautica I have used a scanner room exactly once.

E: I don't use beacons either. :v:

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I’m enjoying Below Zero but despite having multiple bases, a Prawn and upgraded Seatruck and getting down to sub-400m I’ve not found a single magnetite. I’m drowning in diamonds, rubies, and lithium, and even have enough Nickel for now. but nope, no scanner room HUD upgrade for me! It’s a weird design choice to make one random non-endgame resource this limited, it seems like it must only occur in a couple areas and I haven’t found them yet, but none of the others seem this gated.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Velius posted:

I’m enjoying Below Zero but despite having multiple bases, a Prawn and upgraded Seatruck and getting down to sub-400m I’ve not found a single magnetite. I’m drowning in diamonds, rubies, and lithium, and even have enough Nickel for now. but nope, no scanner room HUD upgrade for me! It’s a weird design choice to make one random non-endgame resource this limited, it seems like it must only occur in a couple areas and I haven’t found them yet, but none of the others seem this gated.

You're right that it only occurs in a few places, but in one of those places it's pretty easy to miss, if you have nickel then you've probably missed some by this point. You can find it in the caves around the area of phi robotics, as ore veins.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Dyz posted:

The scanner room isn’t necessary , but I find that it makes the game a lot more fun for me.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Reveilled posted:

You're right that it only occurs in a few places, but in one of those places it's pretty easy to miss, if you have nickel then you've probably missed some by this point. You can find it in the caves around the area of phi robotics, as ore veins.

That helps! I’m trying to be unspoiled for the game, but that area is one I visited before having base building resources so it’s not one of my main hubs. Thanks for the tip! My hope is to get a scanner hud upgrade so I can actually not lose my mind finding lead and other annoying resources and build some more elaborate habs this time.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Dyz posted:

That's crazy, the scanner room is my #1 target because it's so useful.

And not using beacons, well, I don't even know what to say.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

uXs posted:

That's crazy, the scanner room is my #1 target because it's so useful.

And not using beacons, well, I don't even know what to say.

Had one instance of not having any beacon fragments spawning. That was interesting…

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Iacen posted:

Had one instance of not having any beacon fragments spawning. That was interesting…

I really liked that they changed this in BZ so it's impossible to just not find a beacon.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Subnautica should have a map but only show a 3D map of the relative positions of all your beacons and any terrain revealed by your scanner rooms.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Honestly the lack of mapping does a lot for the immersion. It's one of those weird things where removing convenience and usability makes for a better game.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Subnautica has a compass.

It's up to you to pay attention to where you're heading from where you're heading and fill in the map the old fashioned way, when people didn't even have compasses to help them do so. In your head.

Because paper is water soluble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Serephina posted:

Honestly the lack of mapping does a lot for the immersion. It's one of those weird things where removing convenience and usability makes for a better game.

I think it's because it adds to the sense of disorientation you get underwater. It doesn't feel like it'd work in any other game like it does here.