Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

divabot posted:

so there was a mining pool called Marathon that used to filter transactions that OFAC considered sanctioned

they stopped because bitcoiners didn't like this

but, they gave the game away: miners can pick and choose which transaction to let through, and some have done this in a compliant manner, so there's nothing stopping the US from demanding this of the rest

well except the fact that US laws don't apply to china so why would chinese miners care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Gazpacho posted:

tbf everyone who explains bitcoin by reference to "solving complex math problems" literally is explaining it wrong and that's every journalist out there
yeah it's pretty much folding@home stolen valor there.

the reality is almost too stupid to believe. when people say the miners are computers playing bingo it is completely accurate lmao

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

ymgve posted:

Nah, even with proof of stake they can’t pull fake coins from thin air (other than the standard mining reward, of course)

What if they validate a transaction from you to them that you never made

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

miners loving around in a big way would put a severe damper on the sucker supply, i doubt they would gently caress around to that degree.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

buttcoin

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Somfin posted:

miners don't validate transactions, they just gather them in a nice package and put a ribbon on them. the validation is done by every single peer in the in the network that holds the blockchain

miners could try to change the rules of the game by saying "obey to our new rules that give us a kajillion bitcoin" but everyone's seen how well that worked for bitcoin cash and other forks

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
hey we dont use that kind of language around here

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Somfin posted:

Blockchain does nothing to solve this problem, because it's already solved by the digital signatures on each transaction. Without the private key for a bitcoin address, you can't sign the transaction, and even if you force an un/mis-signed transaction into the blockchain it's trivial to confirm that the transaction is fake. What happens when push comes to shove is the same as every other time there's a disagreement over which chain of blocks is the *real* one: either everyone comes to consensus, or the currency forks and now there's two Bitcoins (and it wouldn't be the first time this has happened).

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Telarra posted:

Blockchain does nothing to solve this problem, because it's already solved by the digital signatures on each transaction. Without the private key for a bitcoin address, you can't sign the transaction, and even if you force an un/mis-signed transaction into the blockchain it's trivial to confirm that the transaction is fake. What happens when push comes to shove is the same as every other time there's a disagreement over which chain of blocks is the *real* one: either everyone comes to consensus, or the currency forks and now there's two Bitcoins (and it wouldn't be the first time this has happened).

I wonder what the inherent value is of this newly forked/created bit coin that exists in your example because that sounds wonderful.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Telarra posted:

Imagine four butts on the edge of a cliff. Coins work the same way.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Big Beef City posted:

I wonder what the inherent value is of this newly forked/created bit coin that exists in your example because that sounds wonderful.

look at what happened when bitcoin cash split off from bitcoin, or even better, when the devs of bitcoin cash decided that they wanted a slice of every miner's reward and split again

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Big Beef City posted:

the exact same as every other bit coin: absolutely nothing

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Klyith posted:

the exact same as every other bit coin: absolutely nothing

*slamming both hands into a calculator and staring at the tape print out in a panic* WELL THAT DOESN'T SEEM GOOD FOR BIT COIN AT ALL

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Big Beef City posted:

WELL THAT DOESN'T SEEM GOOD FOR BIT COIN AT ALL

HERESY! :commissar:

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

Wait so the El Salvador BTC thing is just a dictator exit scam?

I’m SHOCKED

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

ymgve posted:

well except the fact that US laws don't apply to china so why would chinese miners care

sir needs to consider more closely how the international money laundering policing regime works

much as pretty much every US dollar transaction touches New York, AML progresses FinCEN->FATF->world

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Spatial posted:

miners loving around in a big way would put a severe damper on the sucker supply, i doubt they would gently caress around to that degree.

only if they get caught

we haven't seen satoshi ever since he posted to say dorian wasnt him, if someone helped themselves to satoshi's million btc, would he post?

not if satoshi was hal finney, hal's dead lol

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Washington Post headline:
Can astrology make sense of cryptocurrency? Maren Altman and a million TikTok followers think so.

quote:

Instead, the 22-year old posts astrology videos of all stripes, including ones focused on politics and celebrities (she predicted a major relationship shift for Kanye West and Kim Kardashian). In the astrology community, she’s reached one-name status, like Sting or Bono.

Her most intriguing videos apply astrology to a particularly daunting realm: cryptocurrency. Anything with a verifiable birthday or creation date has a birth chart that can be read and, according to astrologists, gleaned for predictive information. That means there’s astrology for relationships, pets, political movements and, yes, bitcoin. Skeptics are not on board, of course, and cynics might see it as a perfect match: Two things that feel like foreign languages to most people. Finding an edge in the crypto market is already a fuzzy art. Is attempting to use celestial bodies so far off?

Two great things that go great together.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gazpacho posted:

tbf everyone who explains bitcoin by reference to "solving complex math problems" literally is explaining it wrong and that's every journalist out there
Hey divabot can you work on making "trivial but time consuming" the standard, thanks

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1404072222092894210?s=19

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
No, fees.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

No middleman!*

*singular replaced with many middlemen

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

There’s a kind of beauty in the fee being around the same as sales tax in the states.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

also, you already have the USD, why not just use that for your transaction?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Washington Post headline:
Can astrology make sense of cryptocurrency? Maren Altman and a million TikTok followers think so.

Two great things that go great together.
Don't besmirch the good name of Astrology by associating it with the buttchain

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
https://mobile.twitter.com/michael_saylor/status/1404135098094600192

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Lol if they think any industrial coiners will willingly hire electricians.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Unionized anything, given their stance on labor laws and the like.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Shumagorath posted:

Lol if they think any industrial coiners will willingly hire electricians.

*union* electricians at that

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I don't think it's lolbertarians running the mines for the most part

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Ah yes, I forgot about all the giant bitcoin mining factories employing thousands of people. Truly an industry that should be supported.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Libertarians and Ponzi schemers? Disregarding the opinions of organized labor and safety regulations? Shocking.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Spatial posted:

this reasoning always feels to me like "if we don't balance the federal budget there'll be rampant hyperinflation" - I'll believe it when I see it

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

LordSaturn posted:

this reasoning always feels to me like "if we don't balance the federal budget there'll be rampant hyperinflation" - I'll believe it when I see it

I've got a coworker who won't stop beating the hyperinflation drum - what's the counterargument? Are there enough tools at the Fed's disposal to keep inflation within comfortable bounds?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Space Fish posted:

I've got a coworker who won't stop beating the hyperinflation drum - what's the counterargument? Are there enough tools at the Fed's disposal to keep inflation within comfortable bounds?

The best counter-argument is, why hasn't it happened?

As a more useful explainer for why it hasn't happened:
1. Government debt doesn't cause inflation unless you're in debt to someone else. The vast majority of government deficit isn't owed to anyone but ourselves. The US government is in debt to the US government. In the future when the economy is running a surplus, the US gov't can repay the US gov't. (This would be way easier if we collected taxes better.)
2. Qualitative Easing isn't "printing money" in the way that collapsing economies with hyperinflation do (ie wiemar republic, zimbabwe) where they print money and give it to everyone that they need to keep happy (the army, the gov't workers, the large employers, the skilled professions, etc). That's too many people getting money, it's gonna all go into the economy slick as poo poo. QE is more like a giant zero-interest loan with no repayment date that the government gives to banks. If the banks do something useful with it -- make good loans -- they get to keep money. If they lose it by making bad loans, it doesn't immediately hurt them. So the intelligent thing to do is make loans. Since the scenario that QE is deployed to combat is the one where banks are too afraid to risk their own money on loans, it all works out.

And yes, there are plenty of tools for the Fed to keep inflation from going too high. The main one is raising interest rates. There aren't, however, many tools to keep inflation from going too low. You can't lower interest rates below zero, and things start getting weird when you do that for sustained lengths of time.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Space Fish posted:

Inflation is good for anyone who has debts, and bad for anyone who has huge stockpiles of money that they're just sitting on. If they can't explain how America would ever hit "hyperinflation" then you should ask them if it's in the room with us right now because that's the level of bogeyman it's at, it's just a spectre that other idiots conjure up to scare people into believing that the status quo is good. Inflation rates have been at rock bottom for ages, and you can see the result if you look at the increasing wealth gap.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Space Fish posted:

It's a question of will, really

Also, inflation is significantly less of a concern if you are actively investing your money and not just living off the interest of 2% treasury bonds or whatever.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Like, I have to emphasise here, inflation draws everyone back toward zero, and most people are way the gently caress below zero right now.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

jokes posted:

Also, inflation is significantly less of a concern if you are actively investing your money and not just living off the interest of 2% treasury bonds or whatever.

this is absolutely correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Be your own like in the banks!