Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

WEH posted:

What is more likely to be real than videos with multiple corroborating professional witnesses, military or not? Civilian video is functionally useless to prove anything in most cases, even if it is in high definition and extremely clear.

the witness accounts are all people saying that they saw a weird dot and then the videos are of a weird dot.

Mecha Gojira posted:

It's weird, though, because some of the same documents that admit that there are actual, unidentified flying objects also talk about how public perception still must be managed in terms of propaganda and psychological warfare. So like, what part is real, and what part do you believe?

As far as I can tell, it's both. UFO's are real AND they're a psyop. Aliens could possibly be visiting us or there could be interdimensional objects popping in and out of reality, but also the government uses that uncertainty to hide spooky poo poo like advanced technology and human experimentation. So it raises the question what percentage, you know?

But I do think the most important question to be asking is what is the government's play here? Are they actually just bowing to public pressure or is something else going on, because the script has been flipped and Obama and Clinton are answering obviously planted questions.

Right, I totally agree and I don't think that's what's going on. But then what? Is it just to confuse the Chinese and Russians? After all, China is also seeing an increase in sightings, but even people over there are attributing it to increased US military presence in the South China Sea. UFO's, whether or not they exist and there's good reasons to think they do, are still used as a way to distract or divert attention away from spooks. But then do they want to encourage the Chinese to actually investigate these things more, especially if they're ours?

yeah this is pretty much my stance. what makes this thread really fun to me that none of the explanations are very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Farm Frenzy posted:

the witness accounts are all people saying that they saw a weird dot and then the videos are of a weird dot.

yeah this is pretty much my stance. what makes this thread really fun to me that none of the explanations are very good

What's the minimum resolution you would accept, how would you then determine the authenticity of the video

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Farm Frenzy posted:

So what do you make of this?

WEH posted:

Just heard of this sighting by way of the same meteorologist doing an interview with Podcast UFO and it's pretty fuckin spooky. The article kinda glosses over it but the craft formed a triangle that specifically pointed back at the radar station, which spooked the poo poo out of the guy because he wondered initially if they were military and if they were about to shoot a radar seeking missile at him. An officer on the ground saw them do this maneuver at the same time he did. Also they retreated to the only unfrozen area of lake michigan lmao

Theres a youtube vid that compiles a couple(?) 911 calls, including him reacting to what he's seeing on the radar screen. His call (well, they called him) starts at 6:06.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYawV4ui53A&t=366s

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Farm Frenzy posted:

This is a gross misrepresentation.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

It's okay to say that you won't believe it unless you see it with your own two eyes, just know that makes you a cornball

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Farm Frenzy posted:

The military says they have video, flir, and satellite imagery. If you don't want to take them at their word, fine. But the high-res stuff isn't gonna be released anytime soon because I don't think they have an interest in letting the rest of the world know what they're capable of.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
it seems like the UFO hunters professionalized themselves at least relative to the days when it seemed overrun with cranks, which also allowed the positivist "skeptics" to dismiss 400 people in stephenville who say they saw a walmart-sized spacecraft fly over their town at high speed

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

ok let me clarify that i do believe that people are seeing and recording weird dots flying around. i want it to be real. but its not proof or else youd all be owning me with the obvious proof

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Farm Frenzy posted:

ok let me clarify that i do believe that people are seeing and recording weird dots flying around. i want it to be real. but its not proof or else youd all be owning me with the obvious proof

what exactly would you accept as proof

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Think Less posted:

The military says they have video, flir, and satellite imagery. If you don't want to take them at their word, fine. But the high-res stuff isn't gonna be released anytime soon because I don't think they have an interest in letting the rest of the world know what they're capable of.

trump tweeted pictures from a classified keyhole satellite after an Iranian rocket exploded on the pad

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i dont know google butt what do you have

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Farm Frenzy posted:

i dont know google butt what do you have

have you read the thread

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

have you read my balls?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Farm Frenzy posted:

have you read my balls?

I tried but I don't have my electron microscope handy

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

all I could make out were fuzzy little dots, real suspect actually

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

aliens r real bitch

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Google Butt posted:

all I could make out were fuzzy little dots, real suspect actually

i have multiple corroborated reports from your mum

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Spergin Morlock posted:

trump tweeted pictures from a classified keyhole satellite after an Iranian rocket exploded on the pad

Which was very funny but they absolutely did not want or expect him to do that and I presume just gave him fake pictures from then on

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I always remember a Signals Sgt in the army who was teaching our class on like, radio wave propagation or something. Dude flat-out told us that he'd picked up old radio transmissions from WWII and that was a known-occurrence for Sigs. Because the transmissions would go out into space, and ping around the loving galaxy for 70-odd years then miraculously come back to earth. He absolutely believed it and taught it to us as fact, even though it was complete obvious bullshit. And if you ever tried to question anything like this, they'd just pull rank and shut you down.

Anyway, I kinda always think of things like that when people tout mil-whoevers highly trained at whatever as being super-reliable sources. The military is full of loving morons who are often just blindly parroting whatever dumb poo poo they were taught.

e] I'm not saying I don't believe the Navy stuff, just that I take stufff with a big grain of salt I guess.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

There is an op going on though that we know about and it's the military withholding data about these incidents.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Farm Frenzy posted:

you believe it is happening, but you don't believe it is real? im happy to hold those conflicting viewpoints for now, but it seems odd that someone who is in here badgering others about what they think would be similarly multifaceted on the issue.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

i never did get why society was supposed to fall into a screaming heap at the first sign of anything weird like aliens.

the fears of rioting and stock market fuckery and people turning into gibbering idiots is based on what really?

if i go full tinfoil hat and also assume that disclosure means someone has been hiding free energy, a way past the need for money, all that happy crappy and that it had been held back for decades for profit then maybe some places would experience extreme social unrest but cmon...people dont go insane at the sight of things that are strange.

why is this fairly unimaginative thought that we find other life and can talk with it going to break the back of the world in the first place?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

im not badgering poo poo youre all yelling at me. nobody knows what the dots are man leave me alone

Sleekly posted:

i never did get why society was supposed to fall into a screaming heap at the first sign of anything weird like aliens.

the fears of rioting and stock market fuckery and people turning into gibbering idiots is based on what really?

if i go full tinfoil hat and also assume that disclosure means someone has been hiding free energy, a way past the need for money, all that happy crappy and that it had been held back for decades for profit then maybe some places would experience extreme social unrest but cmon...people dont go insane at the sight of things that are strange.

why is this fairly unimaginative thought that we find other life and can talk with it going to break the back of the world in the first place?

wed absolutely get over it very quickly but do you remember like april of last year

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I always remember a Signals Sgt in the army who was teaching our class on like, radio wave propagation or something. Dude flat-out told us that he'd picked up old radio transmissions from WWII and that was a known-occurrence for Sigs. Because the transmissions would go out into space, and ping around the loving galaxy for 70-odd years then miraculously come back to earth. He absolutely believed it and taught it to us as fact, even though it was complete obvious bullshit. And if you ever tried to question anything like this, they'd just pull rank and shut you down.

Anyway, I kinda always think of things like that when people tout mil-whoevers highly trained at whatever as being super-reliable sources. The military is full of loving morons who are often just blindly parroting whatever dumb poo poo they were taught.

e] I'm not saying I don't believe the Navy stuff, just that I take stufff with a big grain of salt I guess.

they never did get to the bottom of that. its pretty well documented that some signals take longer than they should for *reasons* that no ones ever worked out. it gets very fringe very quick too but is a valid riddle

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Sleekly posted:

Probably Religion, I dunno

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Sleekly posted:

If this turns out to be disclosure maybe the powers that be finally realized that no one apparently cares about it

Farm Frenzy posted:

im not badgering poo poo youre all yelling at me. nobody knows what the dots are man leave me alone

i'm not :(

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

it seems like the UFO hunters professionalized themselves at least relative to the days when it seemed overrun with cranks, which also allowed the positivist "skeptics" to dismiss 400 people in stephenville who say they saw a walmart-sized spacecraft fly over their town at high speed

Part of me wonders if the military's just actually created giant airships. Mirage Men mentioned something about building super-massive hangars in the Nevada desert. But it could also just be loving aliens. But it's definitely not weather balloons or flares. Still that's the whole point of the psyop, right? You tell the skeptics what they want to hear (it's a bird), and you tell the ufologists what they want to hear (we've made contact, we've recovered alien technology), and the real answer is impossible to sus out, and you can hide poo poo in that uncertainty.

Google Butt told me to trust my gut, but I don't trust my gut because I've been propagandized my entire life. It's only relatively recently I ever started questioning official lines and actually investing in conspiracy theories because part of me just wants the simple, easy answer.

Sleekly posted:

The reaction to Orson Welles' radio drama War of the Worlds. Happened a few times in other countries when it was adapted into other languages too.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I dunno if I agree with War of the Worlds being the reason. People were a different kind of stupid back then, and were very much primed to go nuts about it in a way that no longer exists, imo.

Also the military absolutely has giant airships.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

i survived covid and all I got were these stupid aliens

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Sleekly posted:

they never did get to the bottom of that. its pretty well documented that some signals take longer than they should for *reasons* that no ones ever worked out. it gets very fringe very quick too but is a valid riddle

Nah dude, it makes zero sense because the signal would have to bounce around a bunch to take that long, and is losing quality /strength every time it refracts off something. I'm not talking about seconds of transmission time, I'm talking 50+ years. Even if he was just deadpan loving with us it's stupid, because people in the class believed it.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

WEH posted:

If this turns out to be disclosure maybe the powers that be finally realized that no one apparently cares about it

I mean, we've admittedly just been inoculated to it over the last several decades. Think about all the flying saucer, alien contact, or alien invasion movies made under direct supervision of the US Military, right? Same with Discovery Channel and History Channel Documentaries. Pop culture has been suffused with aliens, UFO's, and abductions since the 1950's. Like if there was ever a time to be primed for it, it's now, in the age of the actual CIA Propaganda Marvel Movies about Aliens and Super-Tech.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Alot of weedhead addicts itt

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Farm Frenzy posted:

What we have isn't proof of aliens or some other crazy-sounding non-human thing, but the recent navy encounters (multiple eyewitness accounts, and video, and radar data) combined with the US government confirmation that UFOs and various videos of them are real, and that the UFOs aren't secret US tech (along with China saying the same and starting their own UFO program, and other nations such as Japan updating UFO reporting guidelines, etc), and that they've had 120 unexplained encounters with them in the past 20 years, is the best evidence for it so far. Also, the video clips the public has seen are just small segments of longer higher quality videos that were never released.

If it's next-level secret drone technology, then it's seemingly been kept secret for 80 or more years and also wasn't used to conquer the planet and/or get rich like you would expect...but was also tested in public a bunch of times, which puts the secret at increased risk of not being a secret anymore, and also increased risk of destruction from crashing into planes that didn't expect it to be there. That sounds pretty unlikely.

If it's a psyop then its been going on for half a century or more, and China is in on it for some reason, and the only thing it's seemed to accomplish is making our military look weak, and freaking out some nerds. Its not like the military needs excuses for funding lol let alone some alien stories

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

skewetoo posted:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

skewetoo posted:

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Mecha Gojira posted:

I mean, we've admittedly just been inoculated to it over the last several decades. Think about all the flying saucer, alien contact, or alien invasion movies made under direct supervision of the US Military, right? Same with Discovery Channel and History Channel Documentaries. Pop culture has been suffused with aliens, UFO's, and abductions since the 1950's. Like if there was ever a time to be primed for it, it's now, in the age of the actual CIA Propaganda Marvel Movies about Aliens and Super-Tech.

Yeah, you're not wrong

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Apparently China is pushing the UFO topic at the UN, and they now have their own UFO research program too, so maybe the US confirming all the UFO poo poo and obungler talking about flying saucers, is really them just trying to get ahead of China on the news about the space birds from the goatse dimension :tinfoil:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
I thought that War of the Worlds hysteria thing was all bullshit too?

e] I kinda do think a lot of people will freak out if this does turn out to be true though.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

It was overstated but did happen iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

WEH posted:

I dunno if I agree with War of the Worlds being the reason. People were a different kind of stupid back then, and were very much primed to go nuts about it in a way that no longer exists, imo.

Also the military absolutely has giant airships.

it did sound like a newcast, it was meant to sound real. all the discalimers before shows didnt help lol people thought they were hearing actual news and acted accordingly. and it was an invasion! nothing nice about those aliens