Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
All the weird colonies remind me of all the weird habitats in the Glitter Band around Yellowstone in Alastair Reynold's "Revelation Space" series. Like maybe the Federation is just hands off and lets people choose how they want to live, rape gangs and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Desert Bus posted:

All the weird colonies remind me of all the weird habitats in the Glitter Band around Yellowstone in Alastair Reynold's "Revelation Space" series. Like maybe the Federation is just hands off and lets people choose how they want to live, rape gangs and all.

The Federation's a voluntary membership remember, and when people can just take a ship and go whatever happens afterwards is entirely their business.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Yar's parents were into gang rape I guess.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
My impression was that Turkana IV was a pre-Federation human colony that never joined the Federation.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Despite watching a lot of Star Trek I don't know the lore that deeply.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

"Who are we to judge the Rape Gang Planet our own people established?" - The Federation

There's definitely an Epstein Planet they just kinda shrug at.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cthulu Carl posted:

"Who are we to judge the Rape Gang Planet our own people established?" - The Federation

What's the Federation going to do about it? Invade the planet to settle their civil war for them?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And you just know within the first year of settlement a bunch more were either wiped out by their own stupidity or calling home asking for rescue or help.

The early colonies couldn't ask for help, there was no one able or willing to send a rescue ship. Many of these weren't government projects, these were people using all their savings to buy a 1-way colony ship. Your TeslaExtreme mark 42069 colony ship doesn't come with tech support.

The Federation didn't even know about the Racist Irish Stereotype colony or the Sexless Clone colony. The only records they could find listed the manifest and nothing else, no destination, no description of the colonists or their goals, no hint that the ship was founding two distinct colonies. There are probably a bunch that earth has no clue about, where not even the manifest survived. Crazy Joe's Discount Space Ships didn't keep great records.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

What's the Federation going to do about it? Invade the planet to settle their civil war for them?

Nah just bomb the planet from orbit until the population is 0 and send a new colony ship. That way your empire doesn't lose morale points because you don't actually invade. In fact, you actually gain morale when a new planet is colonized.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cthulu Carl posted:

There definitely is. Remember when Sisko and O'Brian were kidnapped by that primitivist colony? Electricity didn't work so they had to try to treat all disease and infection with local plants and mold and stuff to see what helps. Then it turned out electricity totally did work and they could have been using medical replicators to treat these easily cured infections this whole time, but the lady in charge was happy to let children die for ideological reasons.

That lady got arrested. But the remaining colonists were like maybe we'll use technology now and maybe we won't, because figuring things out for ourselves feels really rewarding. And the Federation was all, okay, good luck with that, call if you ever want us to install medical equipment so your children stop dying from infected wounds, we respect your right to choose.

Totally fine with the unnecessary suffering of children who are still technically federation citizens.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah but they got sone incredible essential oils out of the affair

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Johnny Aztec posted:

That reminds me of a thought.

Sure, Quark is a cheating, lying slime of a sentient being, but alot of the crew are just unnecessarily rude to Quark.

Politeness costs nothing, and they live in a post-scarcity culture.

" One Synthale, please Quark"

" Thank you, Quark"

Just because YOU live in a society where all of your needs are met without having to do anything, doesn't mean you need to be polite to a guy who is loving over people who aren't living that way.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Sure, Quark coerces the Dabo girls into providing sexual favours, but he also serves me drinks, so it's impossible to say if he's bad or not.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 14, 2021

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

infernal machines posted:

Sure, Quark coerces the Dabo girls into providing sexual favours, but he also serves me drinks, so it's impossible to say if he's bad or not.

All I know is I don't want those drinks to stop flowing so

*whistles innocently and turns away*

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

"...wait, he's running a gun show in the holosuite? Well THAT'S the last straw!"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

"...wait, he's running a gun show in the holosuite? Well THAT'S the last straw!"

No one, Sisko included, really gives a poo poo about trafficking sentients, but there are rules.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

No one, Sisko included, really gives a poo poo about trafficking sentients, but there are rules.

Just stop being trafficked, lol. Just walk away from the bar. If you ask we'll even give you a ride back to your famine wracked planet where you will probably die. Oh, you want to stay? Well, if that's your choice.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Just stop being trafficked, lol. Just walk away from the bar. If you ask we'll even give you a ride back to your famine wracked planet where you will probably die. Oh, you want to stay? Well, if that's your choice.

Ghostlight posted:

Quark: Think about it. She's on a space station in deep space with her employer. She looks around her, what does she see? An empty boardwalk. "Oh, there's nowhere else for me to work, what am I gonna do, say no?"

Bashir: Quark, that seems awfully dark.

Quark: No, no, it's not dark. You're misunderstanding me.

Bashir: Yes, I think I am.

Quark: Yeah, you are. If the girl said no, then the answer is obviously no. The thing is that she's not gonna say no, she'd never say no... because of the implication.

Bashir: Now, you said that word "implication" a couple of times - what implication, Quark?

Quark: The implication that she might not have a job if she refuses to sleep with me. Now, not that she's not going to have a job, but she's thinking she might not.

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009
Today I learned that there is a page on Memory Alpha for "rape."

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Mrs. Dash posted:

Today I learned that there is a page on Memory Alpha for "rape."

There's also one for "rape gangs"

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

There's also one for "rape gangs"

The header for the rape page is a picture of rape gangs and the body of the article is from my brief glance an entire catalogue of every reference of rape in Star Trek. I assume both pages are from the same editor.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Is this one of the so-called 'sex ghosts' promised by the thread title?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Lux Animus posted:

Is this one of the so-called 'sex ghosts' promised by the thread title?

They do make a spirited attempt at loving you

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I finished Picard. There were a lot of things that were dumb but I dunno, I enjoyed myself.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My impression was that Turkana IV was a pre-Federation human colony that never joined the Federation.
Not only that but according to Memory Alpha they severed all ties with the Federation when their government collapsed, and later on when a Starfleet ship showed up there before the Enterprise did the people on the planet threatened them if they tried to beam down.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not only that but according to Memory Alpha they severed all ties with the Federation when their government collapsed, and later on when a Starfleet ship showed up there before the Enterprise did the people on the planet threatened them if they tried to beam down.

And then the away team was brought into the home of one who sympathized with them. The crowd gathered around the house, and prevailed upon the master "bring out your guests, that we may know them!" And the master of the house went out to them, and told them what they were doing was wrong. "Have my daughters, Ishara and Tasha, but spare my guests!"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Who got turned into a pillar of salt?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The M-113 creature.

Sunday school always confused me

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
it was one of those dang salt vampires, I tell's ya!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Brawnfire posted:

And then the away team was brought into the home of one who sympathized with them. The crowd gathered around the house, and prevailed upon the master "bring out your guests, that we may know them!" And the master of the house went out to them, and told them what they were doing was wrong. "Have my daughters, Ishara and Tasha, but spare my guests!"

Lol

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
Its hard to tell just how many 'themed' planets there are in the federation. Remember, the sex ghost candle was on a scottish-cosplay themed planet

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the hosed up gross gimmick planets aren't usually in the federation. gimmick planets in the federation are more like larp communities, and even then they usually have full access to replicators and such.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The SCA planet is the worst, we don't boffer with them

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

the federation must keep planets like turkana iv under wraps otherwise all tye smug aliens would be bringing it up anytime they do the whole "humanity has evolved" speech

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Mulaney Power Move posted:

the federation must keep planets like turkana iv under wraps otherwise all tye smug aliens would be bringing it up anytime they do the whole "humanity has evolved" speech

"The evolution is still working its way from the epicenter. It'll reach the colonies in a century or so, you'll see."

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

"The evolution is still working its way from the epicenter. It'll reach the colonies in a century or so, you'll see."

https://youtu.be/-D2SHNqkjbY

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

One thing that has been consistent across all Trek series is the large number of failed human colonies

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

One thing that has been consistent across all Trek series is the large number of failed human colonies

And yet, by the 24th century no one argues.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Maybe that's why other races have so few colonies, they already went through all that and decided to just stick around the home planet

Edit: I imagine a Romulan colony collapsing is not a pretty sight at all. Weirdly, a Klingon colony collapsing appears to the objective observer as operating more effectively than usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

earth was a ferengi colony!!! earth was a ferEN......

(User has been reassigned for this post).