Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Probably going to sign up for this card and get a separate account for both me and my wife and then cancel the amex card to avoid the AF. Is there a ref bonus link I can add to my sheet for this and use for myself?

I haven't followed it too closely, but last I knew Citi's referral program was e-mail based so there aren't any simple links for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Anyone here ever use a Target credit card before? I was told it's a good idea to establish multiple lines of credit for future life purchases like a house/condo, car, things like that. Figured I'd start small with a Target CC since I stop there semi-regularly and it seems like a simple way to build up that credit.

Anything I should keep an eye out for that could surprise me? Do you have to use a set amount a month or can you go a month or two without using it? I heard some other cards require you to use it on a monthly basis or you get penalized sometimes.

Just curious!

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Parrotine posted:

Anyone here ever use a Target credit card before? I was told it's a good idea to establish multiple lines of credit for future life purchases like a house/condo, car, things like that. Figured I'd start small with a Target CC since I stop there semi-regularly and it seems like a simple way to build up that credit.

Anything I should keep an eye out for that could surprise me? Do you have to use a set amount a month or can you go a month or two without using it? I heard some other cards require you to use it on a monthly basis or you get penalized sometimes.

Just curious!

The Target credit card isn’t a great one to get if you can get approved elsewhere. The debit version of that card provides the same discounts and extended returns and doesn’t offer much in other rewards. You may want to start with a simple 2% back card like the Citi double cash, or if you don’t have very much credit history at all you might go for the Discover. You can check for preapproval on the Discover website before you apply too.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Cannot recommend the Citi Double Cash over any alternative 2% card these days. Most of them have better benefits.

If you aren't interested in signing up for cards primarily for their signup bonuses, and if Target makes up a large percentage of your overall spending, something that saves you 5% on that is solid and I'd say go for the credit card version anyway. My understanding is it can eventually convert to a Chip&PIN MasterCard that's usable elsewhere. It looks like they are currently offering a $40 off $40 purchase coupon as a signup bonus, which isn't bad for the Target cards but isn't particularly great overall.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

astral posted:

Cannot recommend the Citi Double Cash over any alternative 2% card these days. Most of them have better benefits.

You've made this post a bunch of times but you don't ever really point out what you think is a better card.

No AF and a flat 2% on everything is still pretty rare. As far as I know these are your options:
- Citi Double Cash. It's pretty much the default in this space. Citi's customer support and IT are poo poo, and the benefits aren't super great, but it's pure cash back and it works OK
- Alliant Platinum Rewards. It's 2%, credit unions are generally more trustworthy than banks, but the benefits make Citi look generous
- Paypal Mastercard. It's tied to a Paypal account and rewards have to be deposited into that account. Lol, next
- SoFi card. Rewards have to be deposited into their non-FDIC cash-management I Can't Believe It's Not A Savings Account (or investment account, or cryptocurrency account), or most of the value evaporates
- Fidelity Rewards card. Fidelity's a lot less sketchy than SoFi or Paypal, but it has the same "must deposit rewards into a specific account" restriction
- Wells Fargo Active Cash (not yet launched but they've announced it). Comes with a chance at secret extra bonus accounts from The Bank Americans Trust Least! Please get literally anything else on this list

Also, when it comes to specific advice for Parrotine, none of them are very easy to get for someone who's just starting to build credit. The best option there is going to be whatever basic no-fee card they can get from an existing bank/CU relationship, or a Discover.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Space Gopher posted:

- Fidelity Rewards card. Fidelity's a lot less sketchy than SoFi or Paypal, but it has the same "must deposit rewards into a specific account" restriction

Why is this an issue? The account that gets the rewards can be a cash management account that you can immediately ACH out of. I don't understand why this would be a dealbreaker.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Space Gopher posted:

You've made this post a bunch of times but you don't ever really point out what you think is a better card.

No AF and a flat 2% on everything is still pretty rare. As far as I know these are your options:
- Citi Double Cash. It's pretty much the default in this space. Citi's customer support and IT are poo poo, and the benefits aren't super great, but it's pure cash back and it works OK
- Alliant Platinum Rewards. It's 2%, credit unions are generally more trustworthy than banks, but the benefits make Citi look generous
- Paypal Mastercard. It's tied to a Paypal account and rewards have to be deposited into that account. Lol, next
- SoFi card. Rewards have to be deposited into their non-FDIC cash-management I Can't Believe It's Not A Savings Account (or investment account, or cryptocurrency account), or most of the value evaporates
- Wells Fargo Active Cash (not yet launched but they've announced it). Comes with a chance at secret extra bonus accounts from The Bank Americans Trust Least! Please get literally anything else on this list

Thanks for making the list.

If you're looking for a 2% back on everything card, it doesn't look like many/any offer an extended warranty benefit anymore. I've recommended the Fidelity one a few times before, but it looks like they removed their extended warranty benefit just this April so I'm less inclined to recommend it (but would recommend any on that list over the Citi card). If you have a Paypal or SoFi account, those are good options; my understanding is the Paypal 2% back card has no FTF, which adds some value. SoFi's card at least offers cell phone insurance, which is a fantastic benefit to have if none of your other cards offer it. It's possible Mastercard still offers extended warranty coverage, but it isn't explicitly mentioned on their generic benefits page right now so that might no longer be the case. If that Wells Fargo one ends up offering extended warranty coverage or otherwise good benefits, I would absolutely recommend it.

quote:

Also, when it comes to specific advice for Parrotine, none of them are very easy to get for someone who's just starting to build credit. The best option there is going to be whatever basic no-fee card they can get from an existing bank/CU relationship, or a Discover.

Based on their previous posts it sounds like they've had a credit card for at least 11 months, giving them immediate or imminent access to quite a few options.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Parrotine, if you tell us your biggest spend categories we could probably recommend something that’s a better fit than the Target card.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

saintonan posted:

Why is this an issue? The account that gets the rewards can be a cash management account that you can immediately ACH out of. I don't understand why this would be a dealbreaker.

It's annoying friction, that's all. The only thing I'd consider a true dealbreaker on that list is "issued by Wells Fargo."

The point isn't that the Double Cash is clearly superior - it's that there's actually only a handful of flat 2% cards, none of them offer fantastic benefits, and there are tradeoffs for all of them.

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016

Space Gopher posted:

-SDFCU is pretty good, the main downside is the app/website not being that great and I've found their anri-fraud measures to be a bit aggressive

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Space Gopher posted:

No AF and a flat 2% on everything is still pretty rare.

No, it isn't. Tons of credit unions offer this now, from small regional babies to notable national options that you conveniently left off your list.

Space Gopher posted:

The point isn't that the Double Cash is clearly superior

Lol no, it loving isn't. Check my post history, we just went over this in detail a few weeks ago, and if you're around enough to come at Astral for repeatedly (and correctly) saying the DoubleCash is no longer the go-to, you should remember that too. Do you work for Citi, or something?

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 14, 2021

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Y’all really getting mad about this?:beerpal:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

im on the net me boys posted:

Y’all really getting mad about this?:beerpal:

You right. I'm just having a day, man. :negative:

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Unsinkabear posted:

You right. I'm just having a day, man. :negative:

I hope your day gets better. It’s a real rough time right now

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly
If there is another flat 2% that isn't Citi, I'd do that and not for the bonuses. My husband just opened a Citi Double cash. They are claiming negatives on the credit report that I can't find despite scouring everything (what delinquent payment?!). So low credit limit, oh well. But then the kicker is 7 business days to process a payment. I paid off the card on the 2nd, auto pays hit the card the 7th (the same thing we've done with the Amazon Chase card for years, but I wanted better rewards percent), and boom, everything gets kicked back since my payment-that was debited from my bank account and was reflected on the paper statement, wasn't actually applied until the 11th.

Not a hit for us, (just pay with the other card with the giant credit limit)but reminds me of the predatory practices from back when that would have been a killer. When I stop being lazy, I will probably grab that AODFC card or whatever and let the Citi one sit unused. Just a warning, especially for someone just starting with credit cards

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

As a counter to that I've only had good experience with Citi, both my double cash and Costco cards. Payments are credited same day I put them in online, and customer service has been good when I've needed something. They even overnighted a replacement card when my number guy compromised.

A ton of credit cards slashed benefits so at the end of the day I'm getting a 2% discount for everything I buy except when I have a card with a better % back for a category.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Check around credit unions near you. For example, RBFCU (south Texas) has a 2% card with no FTF. I'm sure there are tons of examples like that all over the place.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

The Slack Lagoon posted:

As a counter to that I've only had good experience with Citi, both my double cash and Costco cards. Payments are credited same day I put them in online, and customer service has been good when I've needed something. They even overnighted a replacement card when my number guy compromised.

A ton of credit cards slashed benefits so at the end of the day I'm getting a 2% discount for everything I buy except when I have a card with a better % back for a category.

Yea, I expected better with them being Costco's card too. I don't know if it's just for new accounts or what, but I just found it odd and figured I'd say something.

I have since found the fine print that says 7 business days to credit the payment to the actual available credit line, so your payment may not be overdue, but your available credit isn't going to match with your math.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I schedule bill payments to execute near the due date and I have not seen payment processing delays with Citi DC. If your paying bank doesn't have a direct connection to Citi, or if you initiate the payment request close to the due date, that could introduce a delay.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Gazpacho posted:

I schedule bill payments to execute near the due date and I have not seen payment processing delays with Citi DC. If your paying bank doesn't have a direct connection to Citi, or if you initiate the payment request close to the due date, that could introduce a delay.

None of that applies to this situation.

If the credit limit was higher, I probably would never notice, but they gave my husband a bizarrely low credit line. I figure this is probably most applicable to people new to credit cards and therefore are probably coming with lower credit scores, as they will likely have lower credit limits.

Verbatim from Citi: "Please allow up to 7 business days for your available credit to reflect any payments made to your account". So it's not a delay in taking your money and saying you've paid your bill (that all showed on the correct date), it is a delay in having that credit line restored. Maybe it's because we are new customers, but they held it those 7 days and restored credit on day 8.

Edit: yes, I should have read the fine print closer before working out my system for bill pay.

Pinus Porcus fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 14, 2021

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Are you pushing the payment from your bank, or pulling it from Citi? I do the latter and it shows as credited on the day it actually processes - though I admit I'm never anywhere remotely near my credit limit.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

IOwnCalculus posted:

Are you pushing the payment from your bank, or pulling it from Citi? I do the latter and it shows as credited on the day it actually processes - though I admit I'm never anywhere remotely near my credit limit.

From Citi.

Edit: If I had a larger line on the card I never would have noticed either. But makes me not want to recommend it to a young person/low credit score person who are more likely to run into these problems. And have them be harder to navigate.

Pinus Porcus fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 14, 2021

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know how long after hitting the minimum spend does AMEX credit the signup bonus miles?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Does anyone know how long after hitting the minimum spend does AMEX credit the signup bonus miles?

I got my bonus points for my gold the day after reaching the spend goal.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

I got my bonus points for my gold the day after reaching the spend goal.

Thanks!

Anyone use the Venmo card? They've essentially doubled all cashback till the end of the year and it seems like an interesting option to just slap utilities and then stick it in a drawer come 2022.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Parrotine, if you tell us your biggest spend categories we could probably recommend something that’s a better fit than the Target card.

Nothing fancy, just general utilities and groceries I could get at a Target nearby that other grocers or stores might not have at the time. Maybe make purchases like a vacuum or Swiffer every now and then.

Also I have a credit score of 738 so I have a range of options ATM for cards.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Thanks!

Anyone use the Venmo card? They've essentially doubled all cashback till the end of the year and it seems like an interesting option to just slap utilities and then stick it in a drawer come 2022.

I have this card since it was my first ever credit card and I only use it if I can’t use Amex or Discover. But this could entice me to actually use it!

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Oh it’s only for new customers. gently caress u Venmo

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Speaking of...

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/alliant-making-changes-to-2-5-back-card-cashback-visa-signature

https://www.alliantcreditunion.org/images/uploads/files/CashbackVisaSignatureProgramTermsConditions-Transition.pdf
https://www.alliantcreditunion.org/bank/visa-signature-card

DoC posted:

Alliant is making some changes to the Cashback Visa Signature card who opened their account on or before July 13, 2021. These changes will go into effect for the July billing cycle.

• Removal of $99 annual fee
  • Introduction of tiered earning system.
  • Tier One earns 2.5% cash back on up to $10,000 in spend per month, and 1.5% cash back after that
  • Tier Two earns 1.5% cash back on everything
  • To qualify for Tier One rewards, you’ll need to open an Alliant High-Rate checking account and:
  • Have an average daily balance of $1,000
  • Have at least one deposit each month
  • Opt-in to e-statements
  • Rewards tier eligibility is determined on a quarterly basis

Card benefits include 90 day purchase protection, and double warranty (presumably up to one year on warranties under a certain length). No FTF.

The high-rate checking account seems to be "have a checking account with us that gets one deposit per month and is opted into e-statements" and offers 0.25% interest.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Thanks!

lmao I must have gotten my Venmo card like they day before they offered this to new customers. Figures.

Anyway, having just got that Venmo credit card, how long should I wait before applying for an Amex Blue Cash Preferred?

Edit: My score is at 705. In 10 days I'll have 3 cards opened in the last 24 months (Discover, Venmo Credit, and Google Store financing if that counts (it's paid off)).

Shroomie fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 16, 2021

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Shroomie posted:

lmao I must have gotten my Venmo card like they day before they offered this to new customers. Figures.

Anyway, having just got that Venmo credit card, how long should I wait before applying for an Amex Blue Cash Preferred?

Edit: My score is at 705. In 10 days I'll have 3 cards opened in the last 24 months (Discover, Venmo Credit, and Google Store financing if that counts (it's paid off)).

You should wait long enough for them to prequalify you on their website. Check every week. Use a referral code from the spreadsheet for a bigger cash back offer typically. If you’re new to Amex, they might only prequalify you for the Blue Cash Everyday at first.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

You should wait long enough for them to prequalify you on their website. Check every week. Use a referral code from the spreadsheet for a bigger cash back offer typically. If you’re new to Amex, they might only prequalify you for the Blue Cash Everyday at first.

They've got me pre qualified for a bunch of cards from the looks of it, including the Blue Cash Preferred.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Shroomie posted:

They've got me pre qualified for a bunch of cards from the looks of it, including the Blue Cash Preferred.

Lucky you!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Use a referral code from the spreadsheet

you rang

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Goon Credit Card random referral page:
:siren:https://goo.gl/aA5mzH:siren:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

astral posted:

Speaking of...

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/alliant-making-changes-to-2-5-back-card-cashback-visa-signature

https://www.alliantcreditunion.org/images/uploads/files/CashbackVisaSignatureProgramTermsConditions-Transition.pdf
https://www.alliantcreditunion.org/bank/visa-signature-card

Card benefits include 90 day purchase protection, and double warranty (presumably up to one year on warranties under a certain length). No FTF.

The high-rate checking account seems to be "have a checking account with us that gets one deposit per month and is opted into e-statements" and offers 0.25% interest.

This actually sounds like the first alternative to the Citi Double Cash that I’d really consider. I still don’t like the hoops you have to jump through (keep a checking account with $1k and make one deposit per month) but as far as these kind of hoops go, these are pretty manageable.

I’m confused by the wording of “for Members who Open Their Account On or Before July 13, 2021” though. Are they not offering this card and/or these benefits after July 13th?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

The biggest downside to Alliant's stuff is that redemptions are not automatic, and you have to have $50 in rewards to redeem. Otherwise it's another example of a no-FTF general spender.

It's sort of interesting that I have an Alliant checking account but not this credit card, but they haven't sent me an email advertising these changes.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Maybe it's an old customer retention thing? They pissed a lot of people off when they just arbitrarily and without warning devalued the points of people who use their 2% card earlier this year (around the same time they increased that ridiculous $50 minimum, I think), and I could see that news resulting in people who had the 2.5% card feeling like they were next and deciding to get rid of that fat annual fee. I certainly would have, I even stopped doing my banking there.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 16, 2021

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Let me put it this way I guess (I can't say if this is the information anyone above wanted, this is just what I have wondered). Is there a 2% flat cash back card other than the Citi Double Cash that a) does not require me to deposit rewards in a specific bank account and b) is not offered exclusively to members of a credit union? Changing banks is a pain in the rear end.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Ogmius815 posted:

Let me put it this way I guess (I can't say if this is the information anyone above wanted, this is just what I have wondered). Is there a 2% flat cash back card other than the Citi Double Cash that a) does not require me to deposit rewards in a specific bank account and b) is not offered exclusively to members of a credit union? Changing banks is a pain in the rear end.

Alliant may be the only one discussed so far that essentially requires you to change banks. The other 2% cards (Fidelity, RBFCU, SDFCU) just require you to be a member. They don't have to be your primary bank. RBFCU (and presumably SFDCU, correct me if I'm wrong because I don't use them) apply the cash back to your statement balance, and Fidelity just gives you a free cash management account that you can ACH rewards out of to whatever financial institution you do use. Yes, there's a small amount of effort setting these accounts up, but there's a small amount of effort setting up a Citi DC account as well. It's really not very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have an opinion on the new 100k bonus for the Chase Sapphire Preferred card?

NerdWallet article

Is it as good as the Chase Sapphire Reserve offer from a few years ago?