Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Daisuke REALLY loves Queen doesn't he

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Gologle posted:

Daisuke REALLY loves Queen doesn't he

His self insert main character Sol Badguy’s real name is Freddy

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

exquisite tea posted:

I think it's good when you can see your opponent's character well in advance so that you have that much more time to judge their moral character.

If people think it's fair to duck wifi players on sight I think it's fair I refuse playing Blanka mains, who are invariably horrible people.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Same but Scorpion in MK11

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BurningBeard posted:

Same but Scorpion in MK11

Surprisingly Scorpion mains have finally realized this and will now only switch to him after losing the first match.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'm glad strive shows character pick so I can hunt down May mirrors.

In seriousness though its nice to be able to see a character you want more experience against, run over and queue up.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

darealkooky posted:

who gives a gently caress about ranked mode in a fighting game

considering how many people brag about their square color, quite a bit

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

His self insert main character Sol Badguy’s real name is Freddy

Not just Freddy, Sol's real name is Frederick Bulsara, combining both Freddie Mercury's stage name and birth name (Farrokh Bulsara). And he's named Badguy after Freddie Mercury's only solo album Mr. Bad Guy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Solo...Mr. Bad Guy. Sol Badguy. Incredible.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Queen is a pretty big influence, don't look up the names of the Tactics ogre subtitles

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Guilty Gear is rock and metal references all the way down.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Daisuke has stated multiple times that yes, all the music references are intentional. He's a massive metal-head and isn't ashamed to be proud of how dumb it can be.

It's still my headcannon that the 'Death Metal Vocalist' that Elphelt was engaged to is Daisuke inserting himself into the lore to be with his waifu.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tae posted:

Queen is a pretty big influence, don't look up the names of the Tactics ogre subtitles

Axl's new theme sounds like it could come right off of Queen 2. Lead from it to March of the BLack Queen.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

May's name is a pretty direct Brian May reference reskinned to fit in a group of calendar pirates.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

darealkooky posted:

who gives a gently caress about ranked mode in a fighting game

Being able to match against people around your skill level or slightly better is good, actually.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Boogalo posted:

I'm glad strive shows character pick so I can hunt down May mirrors.

I too enjoy May mirrors, which for me currently consist of lots of jumping around mashing H while also randomly throwing around dolphins.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I wish ranked modes did that better, more often though.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Just go back to the olden days of not having players pick their character ahead of time. Just put both players into the character select and don’t hide the cursors, making the first phase of the fight into the select screen mindgame

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Gutcruncher posted:

Just go back to the olden days of not having players pick their character ahead of time. Just put both players into the character select and don’t hide the cursors, making the first phase of the fight into the select screen mindgame

I actually really miss this. I like deciding my character at the time of the match, not even based on the opponent. I just like deciding in the moment who I want to play.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

NRS games let you pick characters at the select screen for ranked and I hate it, people either waste your time playing counterpick do-see-do or gently caress around for 58 seconds until just going back to Scorpion.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Ranked should be random select only

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
After fumbling around, I've come to realise that I like the idea of playing fighting games more than actually playing fighting games.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I go back and forth on wanting to be able to switch characters whenever; on one hand it's super annoying to run into someone good and/or annoying while stuck playing a character that's not your main, but on the other hand someone dicking around on the character select screen is pretty loving annoying.

Counter-picks suck as well, but that's something you gotta learn to deal with anyways, so that doesn't bother me that much

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

wologar posted:

After fumbling around, I've come to realise that I like the idea of playing fighting games more than actually playing fighting games.

You're in the right thread then.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

IMO ranked should be best-of-3 matches and the loser should get the chance to switch characters. Tournament rules.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

i just wish they let you rematch as much as you want

also that they would fix the private lobbies and the other broken networking stuff

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

They should allow infinite rematch but only for dudes I'm destroying so that I can do it more. I lose twice in a row, get thee out of my sight.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Outside of the functionality of it all, I really like the floor system that Strive has. It makes ranking up fun, but losing rank feels way better. I like that I'm not locked out of playing higher quality opponents if I'm stopped, and I don't have to go incredibly out of my way to keep playing someone I'm learning a lot from just because I lost 5 matches in a row to them. Plus, kicking someone off a floor feels very fun without being mean spirited.

The VIP Celestial challenge is a little janky in how you can lose out your shot in a single set, but that's a super minor quibble.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

They should allow infinite rematch but only for dudes I'm destroying so that I can do it more. I lose twice in a row, get thee out of my sight.

MKX was fun for that, I got a guy once who was seemingly new but having a good time mashing at me, did both fatalities as Jax on him and he just messages me "Yes cool" in a not snarky seeming way, so I started playing through pretty much the whole cast just doing the fanciest, even if not optimal stuff I knew for them and doing all crazy brutals and fatals (bro). By the end they finally quit out and said like "Really fun <3" lmao, it was the weirdest long set I've played but they came out sounding entertained so was fun enough.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Ranked should be just like the arcades. You lose and want to rematch, please insert 100 yen.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

Archer666 posted:

Ranked should be just like the arcades. You lose and want to rematch, please insert 100 yen.

They did that already in Tekken Revolution

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Still needs to be a fighting game stage in the parking lot of a chain restaurant.

I've been drunkenly pondering ideas for a tasteless Suburban Brawler game, with stages including the above, a backyard birthday party and a partly dead mall. Latest character idea; obese mallcop with a semi-reliable taser.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Still needs to be a fighting game stage in the parking lot of a chain restaurant.

I've been drunkenly pondering ideas for a tasteless Suburban Brawler game, with stages including the above, a backyard birthday party and a partly dead mall. Latest character idea; obese mallcop with a semi-reliable taser.

Eternal Champions got a stage like that already.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

MK has an obese mall-cop character. Stryker?

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Jack Trades posted:

MK has an obese mall-cop character. Stryker?

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
Can't decide if I like Strive yet. But I'm leaning toward eh, ok.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

GG Strive is the best fighting game ever when I win 3 times in a row and horrible garbage for babies when I lose, same as any other FG really.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3

exquisite tea posted:

GG Strive is the best fighting game ever when I win 3 times in a row and horrible garbage for babies when I lose, same as any other FG really.

Um, sure.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There's so much to the gameplay that I'm starting to think that people who are complaining about the game being dumbed down don't know what they're talking about.

Other than shorter gattlings and combos the rest of the game is arguably more complex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3

Jack Trades posted:

The game is arguably more complex.

Really? How so?