Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Back Hack posted:

Oh no doubt, but it's not like they had to show off finished or polished projects, they just had present something. However, seems like the vast majority of studios just decided not to show anything, like at all, except maybe a CGI trailer or those extremely dumb "in-engine" footage, which are just the worst because how extremely dishonest they are (Aka: Watch Dog, Battlefront, Mass Effect Andromeda).
i get that, but if the vertical slice ends up making their game look bad because of it being unpolished and early going, it ends up becoming a meme and a laughingstock. halo infinite was clearly not ready to show a year ago and it became a source of a ton of memes that it can fight past purely because, well, it's halo. if it's a smaller game, or a brand new IP, no one wants to leave a bad first impression

that project ferocious trailer is a good example. it was shown way way too early (2023 expected release) and it looks janky and buggy as all get out. the animations are clearly unfinished, there are clear placeholder assets, lighting is obviously not finished. so the whole thing looks like an amateur Unity production. and now that's how their game will be known for the next year

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Fair points about Gloomwood. I don't see it, but I'm glad someone is making content that appeals to you all and is relatively scarce otherwise.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Snooze Cruise posted:

e3 is for machosists, i dunno how to spell that word

G-a-m-e-r-s, you're welcome.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

limaCAT posted:

G-a-m-e-r-s, you're welcome.

pretty sure there is a y in there

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

i get that, but if the vertical slice ends up making their game look bad because of it being unpolished and early going, it ends up becoming a meme and a laughingstock. halo infinite was clearly not ready to show a year ago and it became a source of a ton of memes that it can fight past purely because, well, it's halo. if it's a smaller game, or a brand new IP, no one wants to leave a bad first impression

that project ferocious trailer is a good example. it was shown way way too early (2023 expected release) and it looks janky and buggy as all get out. the animations are clearly unfinished, there are clear placeholder assets, lighting is obviously not finished. so the whole thing looks like an amateur Unity production. and now that's how their game will be known for the next year

On the plus side, the heavy backlash against last year's Infinite showing convinced the higher-ups at Microsoft to approve some pretty major overhauls apparently (that much of the dev staff were already pushing for). So in a way, good things can sometimes come from these early looks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The 7th Guest posted:

To be fair, they thought Halo Infinite was ready to show. The game was supposed to be released last year. They changed gears and took it back to the drawing board because of the massively negative reception.

But that's the thing there too, they held off showing much of Halo Infinite's gameplay until months before launch. Maybe its better to get some eyeballs on it sooner than that :) (Although I appreciate it whenever a game doesn't have a 5 year marketing campaign)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

yeah, that's why i thought project ferocious was a better example in the end. it stuck out to me against the other trailers today in that it felt the least ready to show

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Back Hack posted:

If it wasn't for the none-E3 indie conferences, this would easily be one of the worst E3 in a long time, which is especially dumb because they had two years to prepare for this event.
Oh, for sure. I've been keeping a running list of games that I like (or even just vaguely interest me), and the only non-indie games on that list are Elden Ring (obviously) and Tales of Arise.

Mind you, it's still a decently sized list. Day of the Devs had a lot of good stuff.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Well of course that’s because the switch is adding GBA games and all the FF GBA ports will make it over!!

(They’ll never do this because square would wanna sell them for $15 each nintendo would sooner die than make a proper virtual console again)
fixed that for you

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
It's pretty insane how awesome the Virtual Console was. Sure games were overpriced, but the catalog and emulation were top notch.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

The gently caress was that Gabe Newell segment even about?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The one thing that is kinda surprising to me this year for e3 is that it feels like some people have forgotten how to throw these pressers. Part of that might just be not having enough products ready to show, but there has been some clunky presentation. I don't even mean in terms of dorky hosts, I mean the layouts of some of them. Dedicating what felt like 10-15 minutes of Guardians of the Galaxy gameplay was a headscratcher.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The problem is they thought people really loved Guardians of the Galaxy as a concept, and not the MCU version of GOTG specifically. If they had the character likeness and the same writing team as the movies, it would have been much better

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I just watched the Babylon's Fall trailer. Holy poo poo that was horrible!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

ymgve posted:

The problem is they thought people really loved Guardians of the Galaxy as a concept, and not the MCU version of GOTG specifically. If they had the character likeness and the same writing team as the movies, it would have been much better

I dunno. I like this version a lot more than the movie ones.

A movie version have to pay tradeoffs because there are things you can draw that look cool in a comic but dumb in live action or are imposible.

The version I saw of Guardians of the Galaxy in the E3 was really good.

But maybe is true what you say.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

ymgve posted:

Paying Chris Pratt for his likeness is far too expensive for a small studio like Square.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mantis42 posted:

Paying Chris Pratt for his likeness is far too expensive for a small studio like Square.

I'd rather no one pay Chris Pratt for anything.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Chris Pratt’s dumb face not being in GOTG is a blessing, you idiots!

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i feel confused because i actually like the weird babylon's fall artstyle. the trailer wasn't great or anything but i could see it being fun, i get that it wasn't what people were hoping for from platinum but i think there's potential there even if this trailer didn't do a good job of selling it. co-op game from platinum that plays like what they showed in the 2019 trailer (and this trailer doesn't seem too far away from that, it just made it seem less exciting?) could be pretty cool

final fantasy CHAOS both looks stupid as hell and possibly pretty cool to actually play? it will either be a fun time if team ninja can deliver combat as good as nioh or just a hilarious trainwreck.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I thought Redfall looked really interesting, then I slowly realized the more of it I watched that it is probably a squad-based co-op game or something, right? :sigh:

Make Dishonored/Prey with vampires, you jerks! :argh:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I gotta say Microsoft really sold me hard on their Games Pass service, they seem to have like a billion great games on it, for like what 15 dollars a month? Seems like a good deal.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Jerusalem posted:

I thought Redfall looked really interesting, then I slowly realized the more of it I watched that it is probably a squad-based co-op game or something, right? :sigh:

yeah they announced it's a co-op shooter, which seems like a shame coming from Arkane? i guess Prey did flop though. maybe it will be the first ~immersive sim~ co-op shooter though

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Random idea:

"Time to Dev"

If you make a chess game and is singleplayer. You have to draw the board, write the rules for the illegal moves for the player, and write a chess engine that can play chess at different levels.

If you make a multiplayer chess game. You only have to draw the board, and write the illegal moves.

Perhaps we have seen a lot of what appear to be L4D clones and Arenas shooters, not because is a new fad the industry is following, but because making a L4D clone is the most easy and cheap thing you can do. After making a Arena shooter like Quake 3. Kind of like the above chess example.

Maybe theres a lot of singleplayer games, complex hybrid games, and everything in between, but because these takes more time to reach a point where they can be show to the public, we have not seen them.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
In your example, yes, making LOCAL multiplayer games is always easier, because you don't have to write AI, you can just say you made a 2 player only chess game, basically a virtual chess board.

However, modern day online multiplayer is always a lot of work and would not be easier at all.

An exception might be made for turn-based games like chess that could probably use some sort of simple play by email system and cheating is not a concern.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Tei posted:

I dunno. I like this version a lot more than the movie ones.

A movie version have to pay tradeoffs because there are things you can draw that look cool in a comic but dumb in live action or are imposible.

The version I saw of Guardians of the Galaxy in the E3 was really good.

But maybe is true what you say.

Good or bad, if they had been up front about how much of the one game they were going to show I would have skipped it. I think it's good to show gameplay but I was bored by the end of their showcase. Cut the GotG part of the show by half and I'm probably way more positive about it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm a curmudgeonly marvel-hater and I actually kinda enjoyed the GotG trailer. The gameplay looked boring as poo poo though, and it went on for way too long. I'd have forgiven them if they had other interesting games to show instead, but it was more Avengers DLC, their knock-off LiS, and some of the most dreadfully boring action games I've ever seen from Platinum and Team Ninja.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Who is making that Suicide Squad game? Is it Rocksteady? Is that still a thing happening because even though it was only a CGI trailer last(?) year, I'm still excited for anything superhero related that Rocksteady are making (God I hope I remember right and it was them).

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

I gotta say Microsoft really sold me hard on their Games Pass service, they seem to have like a billion great games on it, for like what 15 dollars a month? Seems like a good deal.

Yeah it was basically a gamepass conference but if you’re already subbed to gamepass even games you normally wouldn’t care about become “cool guess I’ll try this one out as well”

Like it’s becoming very clear they are just absolutely not going for the traditional games market competition now. It’s more about look at all the reasons to subscribe not “pay $70 for this year’s halo” anymore

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah it was basically a gamepass conference but if you’re already subbed to gamepass even games you normally wouldn’t care about become “cool guess I’ll try this one out as well”

Like it’s becoming very clear they are just absolutely not going for the traditional games market competition now. It’s more about look at all the reasons to subscribe not “pay $70 for this year’s halo” anymore

Yeah being able to select games I normally wouldn’t try is a huge deal, for example I’ve always wanted to try Forza but I cant justify to myself buying it in full, so this type of service gives me a good opportunity to try out the game for a couple weeks, get my fill and move on.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

It's an open world "immersive sim" type game from Harvey Smith's team. They emphasized co-op in that cute little trailer but the game will probably look completely different. They also said it will be playable single-player, and I imagine not in the way that L4D technically is.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jun 14, 2021

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Augus posted:

are they showing breat of the wild 3 yet

Yes but they renamed it Monster Hunter Stories 2.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's an open world "immersive sim" type game from Harvey Smith's team. They emphasized co-op in that cute little trailer but the game is probably look completely different. They also said it will be playable single-player, and I imagine not in the way that L4D technically is.

In that case, this is now me waiting on more info about the game:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jerusalem posted:

Who is making that Suicide Squad game? Is it Rocksteady? Is that still a thing happening because even though it was only a CGI trailer last(?) year, I'm still excited for anything superhero related that Rocksteady are making (God I hope I remember right and it was them).

Rocksteady Yeah but that game is like 2 more years off at least, thanks to covid.

lih posted:

yeah they announced it's a co-op shooter, which seems like a shame coming from Arkane? i guess Prey did flop though. maybe it will be the first ~immersive sim~ co-op shooter though

Redfall could be good. From reading the site, I don’t think it’s going to be a left 4 dead clone or anything, because apparently it’s open world that you can solo but you can also squad up too. I trust arkane enough to see what it’s about and I assume prey 2 is coming.

ymgve posted:

Guardians is fun series but the movies is what made it take out off hard. I don’t think it needs character likeness poo poo and it doesn’t need movie baggage. I like edios Montreal and I trust whatever their vision for the game is after human revolution and mankind divided.

I'm a curmudgeonly marvel-hater and I actually kinda enjoyed the GotG trailer. The gameplay looked boring as poo poo though, and it went on for way too long. I'd have forgiven them if they had other interesting games to show instead, but it was more Avengers DLC, their knock-off LiS, and some of the most dreadfully boring action games I've ever seen from Platinum and Team Ninja.

I mean again it’s different devs doing it but yeah it was basically the only thing I liked that square showed yesterday. I am more curious how the gameplay plays because I sorta like what I see but I feel like it could be like a bad ffxv.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

lots of games this year expecting me to have friends

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I think my biggest problem with GoTG isn't that they didn't use Pratt's likeness, it's that they didn't really use what Star-Lord looks like in the comics either. Its more like this... weird mish-mash of both, and it really doesn't work for me.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I think my biggest problem with GoTG isn't that they didn't use Pratt's likeness, it's that they didn't really use what Star-Lord looks like in the comics either. Its more like this... weird mish-mash of both, and it really doesn't work for me.

To me it’s the hairstyle. He looks like he is a mix of that “yes” meme and the chad meme. I don’t think he needs to look like Pratt but he needs to have more shlubby hair. The other characters look solid though. I will say it doesn’t bother me as much as the avengers game did with how bad the characters looked in that. But then again I like cosmic marvel a bunch.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I mean again it’s different devs doing it but yeah it was basically the only thing I liked that square showed yesterday. I am more curious how the gameplay plays because I sorta like what I see but I feel like it could be like a bad ffxv.

My main problems with the gameplay they showed was that it was it seemed very slow with some damage-spongey enemies, and that it was just a lot of the player telling their teammates to do cool poo poo instead of doing cool poo poo themselves. I know nothing about GotG, but can Star Lord do nothing himself but shoot poo poo? Surely they can come up with more interesting things for the player to do than shoot stuff and then sometimes float in the air and shoot stuff.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

My main problems with the gameplay they showed was that it was it seemed very slow with some damage-spongey enemies, and that it was just a lot of the player telling their teammates to do cool poo poo instead of doing cool poo poo themselves. I know nothing about GotG, but can Star Lord do nothing himself but shoot poo poo? Surely they can come up with more interesting things for the player to do than shoot stuff and then sometimes float in the air and shoot stuff.

I mean he is more Han Solo meets the rocketeer meets pulp scifi serial hero. I feel like the picked a really dumb area to show off for a demo outside art design. I am curious how encounter design works because it looks very rpgs like, again like ff 15 but with more squad commands.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Star-Lord (at least in the comics anyways) is kind of like a tactical genius, at everything from small skirmishes like what happened in that trailer to full on Star Wars finale space battles. I guess they are trying to put more emphasis on him being the leader which is way doing team attacks is the way to go.
I honestly wouldn't mind this at all, if it didn't have to mean hearing loving MCU quips every 5 seconds in combat, like god drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The GOTG game is frustrating because this is what was made instead of a third Deus Ex game (it’s the same studio).