Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kilonum posted:

Seeing as I might be replacing it tomorrow, have the rather anti-climactic death of my first car. (start at the 2 minute mark). Cam automatically cuts into 3min chunks, couldn't have timed that ending comment better if I tried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6bllGrKYKk

:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I've been thinking about getting a CarNaviPlayer head unit for my Mini to replace the useless giant center speedometer. Any of y'all played with one of those (for any model) enough to know if the built-in dash cam software is any good? It has composite video connectors for front and rear and being able to pick and choose hardware is pretty appealing for trying to get the whole arrangement as OEM-looking as possible.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 2, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Composite video quality is not going to be great.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Charles posted:

Composite video quality is not going to be great.

As somebody who's never used a dashcam at all before in the first place, I have no idea how important the video quality is or what's considered a reasonable minimum for them.

Though for the backup cam at least, I'm defaulting to not caring much, since that'd just be to help with the absurdly big turning radiuses Minis have for such small cars.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Roadie posted:

As somebody who's never used a dashcam at all before in the first place, I have no idea how important the video quality is or what's considered a reasonable minimum for them.

Though for the backup cam at least, I'm defaulting to not caring much, since that'd just be to help with the absurdly big turning radiuses Minis have for such small cars.

Composite is the old yellow RCA video cable that hooked your Super Nintendo into your CRT TV. You will be hard pressed to get a license plate from a dash cam of that resolution unless it's close and stationary in your FOV for a couple of frames. You should probably be looking for something that will run a 720 input at minimum.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
ITT: rich kids that didn’t have to use an RF switch

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Platystemon posted:

ITT: rich kids that didn’t have to use an RF switch

That's how I did the Nintendo and Atari.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You don't need to look at your dashcam recording until something happens. For most people it's practically never.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Nitrox posted:

You don't need to look at your dashcam recording until something happens. For most people it's practically never.

High quality dashcam footage is like a multimeter: you don't need it very often, but when you do need it you need it REAL BAD.

Roadie posted:

Also pay more attention to the resolution specs rather than framerate, you're better served with a few sharp frames you can pull a plate number from instead of more frames that may show smoother movement but have softer details overall.

Tex Avery posted:

PANIC

I wish my dash cam could have captured this, but it happened beside me so no dice. As soon as it started raining during my drive home from Carrollton, the car next to me hit rear ended in the stop and go traffic.

you mean LIKE THIS?????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvlf9mubE7w

I'm sure in this case it was a coincidence, but I did see like a dozen tiny drops of water on my windshield just before this happened. That's all it takes in :texas:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Kilonum posted:

Seeing as I might be replacing it tomorrow, have the rather anti-climactic death of my first car. (start at the 2 minute mark). Cam automatically cuts into 3min chunks, couldn't have timed that ending comment better if I tried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6bllGrKYKk

link to the ai thread? lol

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The Linux Fairy posted:

Saw a good one on my bike today, up on Skyline Blvd just north of Castle Rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SbPyHNPdb4

Dude was sitting on the curb with a look on his face of "well, the road didn't kill me, but mom and dad definitely are". Welcome to Memorial Day weekend, I guess. I saw a whole convoy of S2000s up there, too! (But I didn't have the camera rolling for that.)

Whenever I see stuff like that, I just hope whoever was driving realizes they aren't very good at it, are grateful they didn't kill anyone, and take up some other hobby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6qto_VlUxk

When I first came up on this I thought someone went over the edge, but luckily for them they seemed to have bounced off the guard rail, ripped off their rear passenger wheel, then skidded into the mountain on the other side.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

The holy trinity of Quebec swears

https://v.redd.it/mdxp3v8723371

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

That conciliatory hostie at the end though

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON8s_OBTWHs
This is not something I would recommend doing...

The truck next to me had a seriously weird horn, too.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

The Linux Fairy posted:

Saw a good one on my bike today, up on Skyline Blvd just north of Castle Rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SbPyHNPdb4

Dude was sitting on the curb with a look on his face of "well, the road didn't kill me, but mom and dad definitely are". Welcome to Memorial Day weekend, I guess. I saw a whole convoy of S2000s up there, too! (But I didn't have the camera rolling for that.)

Toe Rag posted:

Whenever I see stuff like that, I just hope whoever was driving realizes they aren't very good at it, are grateful they didn't kill anyone, and take up some other hobby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6qto_VlUxk

When I first came up on this I thought someone went over the edge, but luckily for them they seemed to have bounced off the guard rail, ripped off their rear passenger wheel, then skidded into the mountain on the other side.

84 is my favorite driving road in the country. Non stop neat cars every Saturday at Alice's, Ferraris being honked at by the locals in their 89 corollas for driving too slow and not pulling off. The cyclists have a death wish though. Those car drivers do NOT like you and the only people I've seen injured on 84 more than bad drivers are the cyclists.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 8, 2021

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

CarForumPoster posted:

Ferraris being honked at by the locals in their 89 corollas for driving too slow and not pulling off.

Back when I was stationed in SoCal, the only time I saw expensive sports cars driving above the speed limit on Ortega Highway turned out to be Car & Driver doing a comparison road test. Usually Ferraris, Porsches, and the like were well under the limit, and holding up traffic. Saw much of the same after I got out and moved to the Bay Area and was riding the twisty roads there.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

CarForumPoster posted:

honked at by the locals in their 89 corollas for driving too slow and not pulling off.

I experienced this driving down the angeles crest. Locals in ratty half ton pickups and survivor economy cars hauling rear end. Granted I was driving a 21 year old hybrid with LRR tires at 50 psi and minuscule brakes, but still.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Nocheez posted:

Fantastic, thank you. I've ordered the A129 Plus Duo and a couple good SD cards. I'll let y'all know how it comes out.

I got my Viofo cameras installed this week, and I would love to share the quality but it looks like hot dog poo poo on YouTube. Thanks for the recommendation, I'm very happy with the quality, customizability and ease of use.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Nocheez posted:

I got my Viofo cameras installed this week, and I would love to share the quality but it looks like hot dog poo poo on YouTube. Thanks for the recommendation, I'm very happy with the quality, customizability and ease of use.
Why does it look like dog poo poo?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Nitrox posted:

Why does it look like dog poo poo?

Re-compressing a compressed source. It can look pretty terrible depending on what each algorithm decides to throw out. When Techmoan was doing action camera and dashcam reviews he always hosted clips on his own site so you could see the actual quality without YouTube's added blockiness and banding problems.

Re-compressing an mp3 to mp3 sounds bad, but re-compressing from ATRAC (mini-disc) to mp3 sounds god awful because they use different acoustic models of how humans perceive sound. You end up stripping out what both consider unimportant. *

Also, YouTube does multiple processing passes. They do a quick and dirty one when you upload, that's the progress bar**, and then run a higher quality pass later. Don't know how long that takes. Sometimes the pro YouTubers set a video live too early and the 2k/4k option isn't available until later. If a video looks like total rear end try giving it a day and watch it again.

*: All of my live recordings on mini-disc had to be stored with lossless compression on the computer, significantly bloating the file size, because I couldn't transfer the ATRAC files or play them.

**: bar or whatever. I haven't uploaded a video in years and don't remember how they display that a video is still being processed.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Basically what he said. It's blocky, artifacts are everywhere. But the source is great, and viewing videos in the app shows the GPS location at the same time is pretty sweet!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Nocheez posted:

Basically what he said. It's blocky, artifacts are everywhere. But the source is great, and viewing videos in the app shows the GPS location at the same time is pretty sweet!

Well, that's ultimately what really matters

The Linux Fairy
Apr 7, 2005

With just some glitter and a wink, your data will be turned into a 40GB looping .gif of penguins fucking.

CarForumPoster posted:

84 is my favorite driving road in the country. Non stop neat cars every Saturday at Alice's, Ferraris being honked at by the locals in their 89 corollas for driving too slow and not pulling off. The cyclists have a death wish though. Those car drivers do NOT like you and the only people I've seen injured on 84 more than bad drivers are the cyclists.

I actually disagree! Descending 84 from Alice's into Redwood City, I can go faster than 95% of the cars once the road points downwards (especially the dickhead who passes me right at the beginning every single time). Descending 84 from Alice's into Pescadero, there's plenty of space, and I'm usually doing 30-35mph anyway, so cars don't get too upset when they have to wait a minute or two for me to find a wide enough shoulder to let them pass.

Up on 35 (Skyline), cyclists and the McLarens and the GT3s get along pretty well. Everyone has a mutual understanding that we're all up there to dick around and have fun, and we'll all get a turn soon enough. The problem cars are the Nissan Versa Notes and the Cayennes...

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
This happened a while ago but I never thought to post it here. Enjoy this satisfying video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM0Sieawa5w

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Hikaki posted:

This happened a while ago but I never thought to post it here. Enjoy this satisfying video.

Inject this right into my veins

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Hikaki posted:

hahaha eeeexcellent! :D Always brilliant, when that happens!

EDIT: This is kinda irrelevant I know, but I couldn't help but think of this VLDL RPG sketch upon seeing your vid. I bet that driver will be attempting to pull off an "I didn't do it!!" as well as the 'hero' in this vid, haha

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 15, 2021

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

The Linux Fairy posted:

I actually disagree! Descending 84 from Alice's into Redwood City, I can go faster than 95% of the cars once the road points downwards (especially the dickhead who passes me right at the beginning every single time). Descending 84 from Alice's into Pescadero, there's plenty of space, and I'm usually doing 30-35mph anyway, so cars don't get too upset when they have to wait a minute or two for me to find a wide enough shoulder to let them pass.

Up on 35 (Skyline), cyclists and the McLarens and the GT3s get along pretty well. Everyone has a mutual understanding that we're all up there to dick around and have fun, and we'll all get a turn soon enough. The problem cars are the Nissan Versa Notes and the Cayennes...

You live in a dangerous fantasy land. I've lived near there, driven with many friends there, have family in La Honda. The spectrum of emotion of drivers is dislike to deeply hate cyclists on 84 between Portola and Pescadero. Its an extremely dangerous road to cycle on.

There is no way a road with these attributes should be considered safe for cyclists:
-a bunch of inexperienced drivers with 300+ HP cars who are there to drive fast
-frequently wet with muddy runoff
-more than 50 curves in 10 miles
-tons blind curves
-2 lanes with no shoulders
-extremely narrow lanes at points

The Linux Fairy
Apr 7, 2005

With just some glitter and a wink, your data will be turned into a 40GB looping .gif of penguins fucking.

CarForumPoster posted:

You live in a dangerous fantasy land. I've lived near there, driven with many friends there, have family in La Honda. The spectrum of emotion of drivers is dislike to deeply hate cyclists on 84 between Portola and Pescadero. Its an extremely dangerous road to cycle on.

There is no way a road with these attributes should be considered safe for cyclists:
-a bunch of inexperienced drivers with 300+ HP cars who are there to drive fast
-frequently wet with muddy runoff
-more than 50 curves in 10 miles
-tons blind curves
-2 lanes with no shoulders
-extremely narrow lanes at points

The first one is rarely true. The second one, just like every road user, cyclists should be aware of road conditions and modulate their speed accordingly. The third and fourth ones are facts of life for any road. 50 curves in 10 miles sounds like fun to me, just like it does to you, and I assure you that my bike handling is better than the average Nissan Versa owner's car handling skills. The lanes have a shoulder for the vast majority of the descent, but not all; however, where the shoulder disappears, the sightlines are quite long (and my speed is high enough that the closure rates are reasonable).

But you don't have to take my word for it. I'll take a video next time I descend 84 into Pescadero, and everyone else can decide for themselves :)

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Hikaki posted:

I didn't bother to pull tape since I did not, in fact, 'gotem', but sitting full stop at a red light for like 20 seconds and a car just cruises right past me and through the (thankfully empty) 6-lane intersection :argh:

In more visually impressive news, I can cross post this video my parents got on Sunday. It's a camera, on a dash, close enough. Featuring the world's most optimistic fire extinguisher:

Takes No Damage posted:

Driving home from church yesterday my parents came across a couple standing out beside a classic Beetle that was smoking in the middle of the road. They U-turned and stopped for them just to make sure they were OK. Turns out the guy restores them and was driving it to a car show right then when something internal went very very wrong. While they were waiting for the cops to show up and block off the intersection until the car could be moved, THIS happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KasdxQ4hoAA
Audio replaced with generic license free stuff to protect the innocent and guilty alike.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Hikaki posted:

I did something similar years ago. After an extremely long day at the office, I cruised through a red, at speed, through a signaled intersection. No cars crossing (it was ~2AM), no opposing traffic, no cars in my (inside) lane, two in the outside lane. Just so happened that one of those two was an unmarked PD cruiser

naturally they lit me up

I quickly pulled over. before they were stopped behind me I lept from my car, ran back towards them, gesticulated wildly and shouted "IM SORRY! I GOT A CALL!!! MY BROTHER IS SICK!!! IM TRYING TO GET TO THE HOSPITAL!!!!!"

they let me go with a warning

they also followed me for a bit so in order to maintain the charade I drove vigorously (but not recklessly) to the nearest hospital. They continued along once I pulled into the parking lot. I waited a couple of minutes than headed home :)

just imagine trying a stunt like that these days? I'd probably have been shot.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

buttcrackmenace posted:

I quickly pulled over. before they were stopped behind me I lept from my car, ran back towards them

No probably about it; , .

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

buttcrackmenace posted:

I did something similar years ago. After an extremely long day at the office, I cruised through a red, at speed, through a signaled intersection. No cars crossing (it was ~2AM), no opposing traffic, no cars in my (inside) lane, two in the outside lane. Just so happened that one of those two was an unmarked PD cruiser

naturally they lit me up

I quickly pulled over. before they were stopped behind me I lept from my car, ran back towards them, gesticulated wildly and shouted "IM SORRY! I GOT A CALL!!! MY BROTHER IS SICK!!! IM TRYING TO GET TO THE HOSPITAL!!!!!"

they let me go with a warning

they also followed me for a bit so in order to maintain the charade I drove vigorously (but not recklessly) to the nearest hospital. They continued along once I pulled into the parking lot. I waited a couple of minutes than headed home :)

Hah! Well hey, at least it worked! And I guess it's lucky you recalled the route to the nearest hospital, too

Takes No Damage posted:

No probably about it; , .

Amen! :D

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The correct answer is "bees".

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
New dash cam Australia vid

https://youtu.be/gQyL4-CgKGE

It looks like the wooded panel season is starting

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

SlowBloke posted:

New dash cam Australia vid

https://youtu.be/gQyL4-CgKGE

It looks like the wooded panel season is starting

Oh wow, that driver (with the trailer, of course) at 8:25 is soo bad, hahaha

EDIT: Nice park at 9:28 though - great flick :D

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

All this just to do a U-turn

https://i.imgur.com/goCpul3.mp4

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

IIRC 20 years ago before millions were well spent on flyovers, two intersections on this road within 3 miles of this video were something like the #5 and #7 deadliest intersections in the US. On this one road. This 6 mile stretch of road.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Flint Ironstag posted:

Back when I was stationed in SoCal, the only time I saw expensive sports cars driving above the speed limit on Ortega Highway turned out to be Car & Driver doing a comparison road test. Usually Ferraris, Porsches, and the like were well under the limit, and holding up traffic. Saw much of the same after I got out and moved to the Bay Area and was riding the twisty roads there.

Seems like a motorcyclist dies on that road about once per month.

Its not even that great of a road, but I guess its like all there is around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So I hope it's not too cliched in the asking, but I'm looking for the following:

A hardwire-capable dashcam set, preferably one with a rear camera option. 4K isn't important but good 1080p/2K is preferred.

I've Googled for it, of course, but the "Who?" names don't really inspire confidence. I've heard Garmin's top-tier offerings aren't stellar, and the last one I was looking at were the Nextbase 522GW and 622GW.