Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
glad to have it confirmed that in addition to everything else it's from soft's foray into the monster collection genre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Colonel Whitey posted:

Lol I'm right there with you. My hype levels are reaching MGSV status and I'm worried

Lol same, I have a horrible track record for games I get crazy hyped for(Cyberpunk/Anthem). I was hyped for Sekiro and that delivered so I'll still trust Fromsoft.

Btw Miyazaki in the Japanese Famitsu interview said the game is easier than Sekiro and difficulty is closer to DS3 just cause you have so much options. Also he is implying you can swap weapon artes to any weapon so you can get like the dagger shadow step while wielding an axe? Not sure if he means exactly that but I guess we will get more info on Bandai's stream tomorrow.

Also this is their biggest game and you can't ride horses in Co-op but can roam the open world.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'm not trying to ruin anyone's parade. But man I feel like this seems like a lazy "port" almost? Like, I'm noticing some animations and character models that are beyond a straight rip from Dark Souls.

I'm in a weird situation where I'm a dark souls fanatic, we're getting a everything-in-name-only new dark souls game that is way more kinetic and I'm down, I'm ready. I'm a fan. But I'm annoyed that they're kinda doing the Call of Duty thing where they just reuse assets and sounds in a bad way and clearly just slapping GRRM's name on it to boost sales.

People say this every single time FROM reveals a new game (except the GRRM part).

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'm not trying to ruin anyone's parade. But man I feel like this seems like a lazy "port" almost? Like, I'm noticing some animations and character models that are beyond a straight rip from Dark Souls.

I'm in a weird situation where I'm a dark souls fanatic, we're getting a everything-in-name-only new dark souls game that is way more kinetic and I'm down, I'm ready. I'm a fan. But I'm annoyed that they're kinda doing the Call of Duty thing where they just reuse assets and sounds in a bad way and clearly just slapping GRRM's name on it to boost sales.

as far as i can tell ya elden ring is just a lazy reskin of the worst parts of dark souls 2. Very sad to see a developer fall from grace like this, but i suppose this is just the way it goes in these dark times.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Can't wait for the easy mode discourse to spring up again despite them adding in an army of spirit pokemon to help you out if you need it.

punished milkman posted:

as far as i can tell ya elden ring is just a lazy reskin of the worst parts of dark souls 2. Very sad to see a developer fall from grace like this, but i suppose this is just the way it goes in these dark times.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 14, 2021

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Ulio posted:

Btw Miyazaki in the Japanese Famitsu interview said the game is easier than Sekiro and difficulty is closer to DS3 just cause you have so much options. Also he is implying you can swap weapon artes to any weapon so you can get like the dagger shadow step while wielding an axe? Not sure if he means exactly that but I guess we will get more info on Bandai's stream tomorrow.

I guess you'll equip skills like Sekiro and use with whatever weapon you have (if they're compatible?)

Which means... Double Ichimonji Claymore :getin:

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

punished milkman posted:

Even the worst parts of DS2 were better than Sekiro :actually:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

punished milkman posted:

Source reddit quotes

lih
May 15, 2013

Ulio posted:

Also he is implying you can swap weapon artes to any weapon so you can get like the dagger shadow step while wielding an axe? Not sure if he means exactly that but I guess we will get more info on Bandai's stream tomorrow.
Yeah he says this in the IGN interview too and it's very clear - weapon arts ("skills" now) are unrelated to weapons now so you can mix and match skills (of which there are over 100) and weapons rather than each weapon having its own special skill like in DS3.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
not only am i going to preorder this game, i am also going to order the most obnoxious Deluxe Ultra Edition w/Pot Demon Miniature that i can get my piggy hooves on

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ulio posted:

Lol same, I have a horrible track record for games I get crazy hyped for(Cyberpunk/Anthem). I was hyped for Sekiro and that delivered so I'll still trust Fromsoft.

Also this is their biggest game and you can't ride horses in Co-op but can roam the open world.

I think building it up to be the ultimate game of all time like Cyberpunk is bound to lead to disappointment, but Miyazaki has yet to miss once and the game has had plenty of time in the oven so taken on its own terms I expect it to still be an extremely good game. Just go in expecting Big Dark Souls and I doubt you'll be let down

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

stev posted:

People say this every single time FROM reveals a new game (except the GRRM part).

you say bloodborne was good, and yet it literally reused assets from a ps3 game. Wrap it up, fromailures!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

multijoe posted:

I think building it up to be the ultimate game of all time like Cyberpunk is bound to lead to disappointment, but Miyazaki has yet to miss once and the game has had plenty of time in the oven so taken on its own terms I expect it to still be an extremely good game. Just go in expecting Big Dark Souls and I doubt you'll be let down

I think the trailer has set very clear expectations. This is classic FROM gameplay with some new tools and more variety, in a more open explorable world. I don't think they're attempting anything so ambitious or outside of their comfort zone that there's any reason to worry.

It'll probably be more of the same but on a larger scale, and that'll be fine for the vast majority of fans as long as the world and enemy design is still on the level we've come to expect.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

giZm posted:

Even the worst parts of DS2 were better than Sekiro :actually:

okay look we all have fun telling joke's around here but some things are just beyond the pale

Lid posted:

One main theme of the main bosses of the game, in particular, are that they are essentially demigods – and characters who are written, again, by George R.R. Martin – and they inherited the mad tainted power of the Elden Ring shards once it was shattered. We wanted to depict these beings as not just creatures and horrible monsters, but have an element of heroism and an element of mythology to them.

So the bosses are written by GRRM

can't wait to fight the boss that's a lady with diarrhea

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

lih posted:

Yeah he says this in the IGN interview too and it's very clear - weapon arts ("skills" now) are unrelated to weapons now so you can mix and match skills (of which there are over 100) and weapons rather than each weapon having its own special skill like in DS3.

Hope we can equip multiple skills / change them during fights like spells.

Give us Deception Arts

quote:

Hyena Kick

A stealth attack that can hit unaware enemies. The straight kick can knock opponents off balance and even drop them off heights.
When opposed by powerful enemies, this shinobi tarnished technique can cut kick open a path to victory.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This game sounds like exactly what I wanted, hell yeah

Any word about pvp or have they just talked about co-op only so far?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
If FROM releases a Souls-like game that doesn't have at least one enemy with the exact moveset and animations of the red-eye knights from Demon's Souls then I would consider it a failure

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

punished milkman posted:

You're putting words into my mouth.

quote:

Yeah, I didn't have a problem with this. I mean. It's literally the same series. I dunno, supposed to be a new game. But hey whatever, less time making assets more time on everything else.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I refuse to learn the story of a Soulsborne unless a european with a buttery smooth voice is reading it to me like a bedtime story

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Dark Souls swings a sword like thissss, Elden Ring swings a sword like thissssss

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Hopefully this is the Dark Souls with actually good weapon variety and build options since they've been strangling the life out of those two things ever since they started patching Dark Souls 2, culminating in Dark Souls 3.

Luv 2 have lots of dogshit magic. Praise the straight sword brother.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I don’t see the problem with reused assets. How many ways can you really animate someone swinging a sword

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Listening to the Majula theme for six straight months until I ascend.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
As far as I know there have been multiple shared monsters and models and poo poo for all the souls games, including to and from Bloodborne.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Truly the modern Castlevania

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

mistermojo posted:

every enemy and armor and weapon they make is just so cool

And you have the Moonlight Greatsword to look forward to each and every time :woop:

lih
May 15, 2013

https://www.resetera.com/threads/new-elden-ring-interviews-with-hidetaka-miyazaki-fromsofts-largest-most-free-form-map.442033/post-67360894

another interview with miyazaki here, most notably confirms PVP and poison swamp level and discusses how the world design differs from BOTW

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
That poison swamp level question was funny

And yesss pvp :getin:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

lih posted:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/new-elden-ring-interviews-with-hidetaka-miyazaki-fromsofts-largest-most-free-form-map.442033/post-67360894

another interview with miyazaki here, most notably confirms PVP and poison swamp level and discusses how the world design differs from BOTW

quote:

How does the open world of Elden Ring work ? Are the locations just creating a backdrop for travel between key points, as in Shadow of the Colossus , or are question marks scattered throughout the map, as in The Witcher?

Neither one nor the other (laughs). It's hard to say where he is closer, but the open world of Elden Ring will definitely not be an empty field for horse rides from point A to point B. We wanted him to have character, so that he would have interesting finds, dangers and memorable encounters. The map is not filled with question marks that distract attention: players will have to place markers themselves to mark points of interest. For example, we climbed higher, saw some notable places and wrote down that you want to go there and find out what kind of story unfolds there. We want players to build their own storytelling in these lands. In Elden Ring there will be a so-called "main" path, a natural route of passage - the player will find out about it almost immediately. But there is also an opportunity to turn off the intended path, to find your way.

Sounds just like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild . However, there was a problem with the rewards: exploring the world was very fun, but nothing sensible was found in it. What rewards will Elden Ring offer for exploring the world ?

Many items of equipment are hidden around the world: weapons, armor, spells, skills, spirits for summoning and ingredients for crafting. So there will be rewards for player explorers. But I would also note that meetings with plot characters are in themselves a reward, because thanks to them you get to know the world better and look at already familiar places from a different angle. They add drama to the journey, add twists to the narrative, allow for the story of the hero, and influence the endings.

Well, since you remembered Breath of the Wild - I personally went through it to the end with great pleasure, and my reward was a sense of satisfaction from the process. But our approach is still somewhat different: we place great emphasis on character development and customization.

BotW style free self-directed exploration with more meaningful stuff to find and greater emphasis on character development. :yeshaha:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I like the implication that Miyazaki was very subtly bristled by the Russian interviewer dogging BOTW for some reason.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm one of the handful of weirdos that did not enjoy Breath of the Wild (and I'm a huge Zelda fan).

[boots up Elden Ring and is handed an ipad] NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i essentially 100%'ed breath of the wild so i can't say that i hated it but i think my anecdote most emblematic of it in its entirety is whipping out the best sword i had to clear out an enemy encampment and using it until it broke, and then opening the unlocked chest to find as a reward the exact same sword i just used up, rendering the whole thing utterly pointless

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 14, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah one of the many reasons I couldn't get into it is I like finding a cool weapon and using that for a whole game. As an example in Dark Souls 3 I ran with the Butcher Knife through the whole game and it drops early in the third-ish area.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Uh huh. Interesting

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah one of the many reasons I couldn't get into it is I like finding a cool weapon and using that for a whole game. As an example in Dark Souls 3 I ran with the Butcher Knife through the whole game and it drops early in the third-ish area.

nah it's not even so much that, just that there's all these things you can explore and do, but why would you want to

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Raygereio posted:

I'm honestly hoping From is going back to the more slower paced combat from Demon's Souls & Dark Souls 1.
DaS3's pace never felt quite comfortable to play for me. And Sekiro looks cool in slowed down videos, but playing it was a miserable experience to me.

i've got bad news for you...

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I really did enjoy botw but what it was missing was proper dungeons (aside from hyrule castle). Which elden ring will have. Also finding new weapons/gear in elden ring will kick rear end, unlike botw where they just break.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm glad they're broadening their horizons and implementing lots of different things but if you can't roll through every type of attack then i will have to refund the game. that's the only thing i can do. i've tried

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I wonder how many koroks Miyazaki found??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Korok mimics.

Ya ha ha! *shank and/or explode*