Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ThaumPenguin posted:

So it turns out that when Bethesda got into a trademark fight with some author over the name "Redfall", that wasn't about TES VI.

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1404146297033068549?s=19

if it doesn't have versus it fails at being a l4d-like. can arkane break the curse of lazy development that has cast a shadow over the entire l4d-like genre??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
bethesda: i want to be creative!

bethesda's fallout mom and elder scrolls dad: you're already creative

bethesda's creativity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwGlBuyTdfg

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Two thoughts:

It releases on the 11-year anniversary of Skyrims 11-11-11 release.

It's kind of appropriate that the trailer ends with a long fart sound.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I figured out yesterday that the fans have been getting the province all wrong in their theories. And it's all in the name. Elder Scrolls VI. Seems simple, right? Turns out the "I" isn't a Roman Numeral. No, no. It's a lowercase L. A V and a lowercase L.

Valenwood.

Simple as that.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

TheLoneStar posted:

I figured out yesterday that the fans have been getting the province all wrong in their theories. And it's all in the name. Elder Scrolls VI. Seems simple, right? Turns out the "I" isn't a Roman Numeral. No, no. It's a lowercase L. A V and a lowercase L.

Valenwood.

Simple as that.
I'm looking forward to all the tears when the fans realize bethesda is utterly incapable of implanting walking tree villages even if they wanted to.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

It's gonna be cyrodiil again

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The Starfield Reveal Appears to Contain an Elder Scrolls 6 Easter Egg Teasing Its Location

https://www.ign.com/articles/starfield-elder-scrolls-easter-egg-hammerfell

:thunk:

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 14, 2021

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
What province looks the most like a marvel movie? That's where we're going.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Hammerfell means "Hammerfell and High Rock" or excludes High Rock?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Guildenstern Mother posted:

What province looks the most like a marvel movie? That's where we're going.

There's a lot of blue skinned people in the MCU so Morrowind 2 confirmed I guess.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

We're going to Black Marsh, but it turns out the legends of the province were greatly exaggerated and it's mostly grassy, rolling hills. Turns out Tiber Septim was just too lazy to properly conquer it.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Black Marsh is the Florida of Tamriel, so I'd be all for it personally

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Starfield is actually elder scrolls 6's working title. Yes it takes place in space, no Bethesda doesn't care that it defies lore.

This will be the spelljammer of the elderscrolls series.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

lobster22221 posted:

Starfield is actually elder scrolls 6's working title. Yes it takes place in space, no Bethesda doesn't care that it defies lore.

Why did you say that like it was a bad thing? :confused:

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

lobster22221 posted:

Sounds like someone didn't read C0da.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

lobster22221 posted:

6th Age space c0da TES would own extremely, so it will never happen

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

lobster22221 posted:

i don't think they brought kirkbride back so it can't be c0da: the game

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'm hype for the Cat Tower.

Also, the ashlanders got the Nerevarine prophecy wrong. He wasn't prophecized to drive all the other people out of Vvardenfell, he was prophecized to drive all the people out of Vvardenfell.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Dunmer forgot they immigrated lol

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Asterite34 posted:

Why did you say that like it was a bad thing? :confused:

who said its a bad thing? Give me khajit with pirate hats in space ships!

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Colovian fur space helmet

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Space travel is already canon:

https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Space_Core

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

At this rate I'm gonna be dead before the next game comes out

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Ladders not supported in Starfield.

https://www.denofgeek.com/games/starfield-creation-engine-2-ladder-animation-trailer-controversy-graphics/

"One day, we tried to figure out why we wanted ladders so bad because we don’t really need them,” Howard said. “It just felt like we’re game development pussies because we can’t do ladders.”

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Thats becouse you are, Howard. And cowards too. :colbert:

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

I've given Bethsoft a lot of leeway since they're the only dev making the games that they are. Cyperpunk was close but it's also a bit of a mess in its own way. Obviously these sorts of ganes are hard to make but Bethsoft has more money than god so there really is no reason for them not to have spun up their own stuff from the ground up by now.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

MrTargetPractice posted:

I've given Bethsoft a lot of leeway since they're the only dev making the games that they are. Cyperpunk was close but it's also a bit of a mess in its own way. Obviously these sorts of ganes are hard to make but Bethsoft has more money than god so there really is no reason for them not to have spun up their own stuff from the ground up by now.

But how could they, even with unlimited resources, even hope to match... checks notes...the Half-Life 1 engine? Seriously?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Asterite34 posted:

But how could they, even with unlimited resources, even hope to match... checks notes...the Half-Life 1 engine? Seriously?

I wouldn't call ladders in the Source engine "successful".

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

John F Bennett posted:

Ladders not supported in Starfield.

https://www.denofgeek.com/games/starfield-creation-engine-2-ladder-animation-trailer-controversy-graphics/

"One day, we tried to figure out why we wanted ladders so bad because we don’t really need them,” Howard said. “It just felt like we’re game development pussies because we can’t do ladders.”

Asterite34 posted:

Or how could they, even with unlimited resources, even hope to match... checks notes...the Elder Scrolls 2: DaggerFall engine?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

If you go poking about, there are corners of the internet that are absolutely furious that ladders aren't in the game despite one being in the trailer. It's pretty funny.

Also if anyone is wondering why Bethesda doesn't want to do ladders, it's because it's a seriously niche version of the Door Problem. Remember how in Dark Souls you can spend 5 minutes watching mobs cluster around a ladder, crawl down a bit, crawl back up and just generally be useless? Yeah.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 15, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

John F Bennett posted:

The Starfield Reveal Appears to Contain an Elder Scrolls 6 Easter Egg Teasing Its Location

https://www.ign.com/articles/starfield-elder-scrolls-easter-egg-hammerfell

:thunk:

High Rock's just a giant penis

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

grate deceiver posted:

6th Age space c0da TES would own extremely, so it will never happen

would play and stan the gently caress out of this

far too brave for where beth is at now as a company though, Morrowind was a fever dream

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Fruits of the sea posted:

If you go poking about, there are corners of the internet that are absolutely furious that ladders aren't in the game despite one being in the trailer. It's pretty funny.

Also if anyone is wondering why Bethesda doesn't want to do ladders, it's because it's a seriously niche version of the Door Problem. Remember how in Dark Souls you can spend 5 minutes watching mobs cluster around a ladder, crawl down a bit, crawl back up and just generally be useless? Yeah.

My favorite part of that article is that the CEO does nothing

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

They've had a decade to solve this though

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

You see, ladders are unnecessary in a world where horses can climb near-vertical surfaces.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
I hope todds star citizen is good tbh

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

MrTargetPractice posted:

My favorite part of that article is that the CEO does nothing
It's ultimately a question of resources. It's a solvable problem, but the return-on-investment on something like this isn't favorable. It would be nice to have, but t's ultimately not really that important so when it's going to eat up a significant portion of the budget it makes sense to cut it.

I honestly do wonder how much influence Todd Howard really when it comes to the business side of Bethesda/Zenimax. It's going to be interesting to see how the Microsoft acquisition changed things, but that side has always been quite scummy and want to get things done with the absolute minimal amount of investment. Even when it make no sense. I mean, it's completely bonkers Skyrim's dev team was as relatively tiny as it was given how succesful Oblivion and FO3 were.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Raygereio posted:

It's ultimately a question of resources. It's a solvable problem, but the return-on-investment on something like this isn't favorable. It would be nice to have, but t's ultimately not really that important so when it's going to eat up a significant portion of the budget it makes sense to cut it.

I honestly do wonder how much influence Todd Howard really when it comes to the business side of Bethesda/Zenimax. It's going to be interesting to see how the Microsoft acquisition changed things, but that side has always been quite scummy and want to get things done with the absolute minimal amount of investment. Even when it make no sense. I mean, it's completely bonkers Skyrim's dev team was as relatively tiny as it was given how succesful Oblivion and FO3 were.

At least they're not owned by a Trump anymore?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

New Young Scrolls
featuring Runs-In-Circles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPSan-7pZ8E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Scyantific posted:

New Young Scrolls
featuring Runs-In-Circles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPSan-7pZ8E

Cute! And it immediately got stuck in my head.