Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

The Inglis audiobook is A+.

Thanks for the new thread title the other one was killing me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1403049435538546690

Cryte Lynn
Jul 25, 2005
Now serving pwncakes at the Roflhouse

But it's not April 1st? idgi

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

gross

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Looking forward to big titty hobbits.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

sweet geek swag posted:

Looking forward to big titty hobbits.

Big titty goth galadriel gf

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 10, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That are 18,000 years old of course

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Helm Hammerhand as Rohirric One Punch Man.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Have they hired Elise the Great as a writer yet

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kenji Kamiyama? I hope they don't do more CGI stuff like he's been doing with Aramaki lately.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Me and my ex had a heated discussion in the past and eventually came to conclude that the only way to do the Silmarillion right would be a Bollywood epic. Doing a Hammerhand anime is about as weird, and I'm glad they're trying something different rather than just try to remake the LotR movies like they did with the Hobbit. If it turns out to be a dumpster fire, it will at least be a VERY interesting one.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I only watched the first few episode of the netflix anime Castlevania but that kind of thing would be fun to watch, for me.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Me and my ex had a heated discussion in the past and eventually came to conclude that the only way to do the Silmarillion right would be a Bollywood epic.

Give me Cecil B. DeMille's take, with Charlton Heston as Beren.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SHISHKABOB posted:

I only watched the first few episode of the netflix anime Castlevania but that kind of thing would be fun to watch, for me.

You're not gonna get that it's gonna be CGI anime. Be afraid.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah a fast-tracked anime has approximately 0% chance of being good.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

All according to keikaku*

*Keikaku means Eru Ilúvatar's holy music

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh I totally missed the "fast tracked" part lol

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
but will it have rotoscoping

Joking asides, I've thought for years that the most sensible way to adapt the Silmarillion would be an Animatrix-style collection of shorts. I don't expect this one to be that but if we can have a different visual style after decades of the Jackson one being the dominant one then I'm not complaining.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

YaketySass posted:

if we can have a different visual style after decades of the Jackson one being the dominant one then I'm not complaining.

Variety posted:

the project is intended to be connected to director Peter Jackson’s six Middle Earth films based on the books of J.R.R. Tolkien. Philippa Boyens, who won an Oscar for the screenplay for “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King,” is consulting on the project, which will also draw its aesthetic and narrative inspiration from the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
They said it's taking visual cues from Jackson's

e:fb

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

quote:

Philippa Boyens is consulting on the project

It never had a chance.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fran Walsh is good at screaming, and this is an anime, maybe she could make some high pitched shrieks when the Dunlendings go all anime creeper on the busty rohirrim women.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

cptn_dr posted:

All according to keikaku*

*Keikaku means Eru Ilúvatar's holy music

I laughed.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Reading the RotK appendices for the first time in forever and realized Aragorn falls in love with Arwen when he's 20 and they don't get hitched until he's almost 70. Do y'all think he was a virgin til then or was he knocking boots with some farmers daughters in Bree?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That implies any Bree woman would have him which I doubt considering they're mostly pretty wary of the Rangers.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Toebone posted:

Reading the RotK appendices for the first time in forever and realized Aragorn falls in love with Arwen when he's 20 and they don't get hitched until he's almost 70. Do y'all think he was a virgin til then or was he knocking boots with some farmers daughters in Bree?

They probably banged when they met up in Lorien when he was 50 since that’s the point where she explicitly agrees to marry him. From 20-50 he was world traveling as a soldier, so it would be more surprising if he wasn’t loving around.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

That implies any Bree woman would have him which I doubt considering they're mostly pretty wary of the Rangers.

Why do you think they’re wary of them? They’re tall dark and sexy, and they can also knock your daughter up with their blessed/cursed bloodline and then skip town

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

skasion posted:

Why do you think they’re wary of them? They’re tall dark and sexy, and they can also knock your daughter up with their blessed/cursed bloodline and then skip town

But the enemy looks fairer and smells fouler, so all that leaves Strider with is an ugly mug but at least he bathes.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

skasion posted:

They probably banged when they met up in Lorien when he was 50 since that’s the point where she explicitly agrees to marry him. From 20-50 he was world traveling as a soldier, so it would be more surprising if he wasn’t loving around.

Nonsense that's when they both had their first kiss, with each other respectively, and thus plight truth.

Gotta remember: everyone in this is either a catholic Saint OR working for morgoth

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He could have had sex with Ranger women or men as well or in any of the other places hes traveled.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Nonsense that's when they both had their first kiss, with each other respectively, and thus plight truth.

Gotta remember: everyone in this is either a catholic Saint OR working for morgoth

“For a season they wandered together in the glades of Lothlorien”, and what they did there is nobody’s business

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

skasion posted:

“For a season they wandered together in the glades of Lothlorien”, and what they did there is nobody’s business

those sluts probably held hands

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

IIRC Beren and Luthein had sex on like.. their second date? So i dont think its unreasonable to expect that Aragorn and Arwen did.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Tolkien was a total prude so its safe to say everyone was loving and tolkien just had no idea how to write it

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Tolkien was a total prude so its safe to say everyone was loving and tolkien just had no idea how to write it

The story of Beren and Luthien explicitly echoes Tolkien's own love affair with Edith (née Bratt), and the opposition to their marriage by Tolkien's guardian.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Zopotantor posted:

The story of Beren and Luthien explicitly echoes Tolkien's own love affair with Edith (née Bratt), and the opposition to their marriage by Tolkien's guardian.

yeah i just mean tolkien was not gonna like, write about elves banging causes that's just not proper, so to infer any kind of chaste nature to tolkien's characters that otherwise happily indulge in vice and violence is kinda silly

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
He wrote a lot about elven marriage and sexual norms actually. It's in one of the volumes of HoME. I mean he didn't describe their tentacle vaginas or anything but like their views on sex, how they chose partners, etc.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

He wrote a lot about elven marriage and sexual norms actually. It's in one of the volumes of HoME. I mean he didn't describe their tentacle vaginas or anything but like their views on sex, how they chose partners, etc.

i know, and it comes down to them only banging once or twice to sire children, and afterwards living chaste lives, despite also being impulsive, violent, and headstrong beings ruled seemingly entirely by their id.

basically im saying tolkien imprinted his own stuffy old english person views onto the elves and its kinda weird when they then go about middle earth raising hell for thousands of years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Actually I thought the explanation for that made perfect sense. An elven spirit is in mastery of their body (as opposed to in men, where the body is in mastery of the spirit). So it would be very unusual for an elf to fall to gluttony or lust, but it's very easy for them to fall to pride or jealousy, because those are vices of the spirit.