Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

I meant to say Evil Dead 2 but that is also silly. But in fairness the first Evil Dead blu-ray looks great but I still can't picture how much better it can and should look. How is the film grain? I NEED THAT FILM GRAIN.

I need all the film grain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The Evil Dead II UHD has a ton of film grain. Can’t speak to 1.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

I meant to say Evil Dead 2 but that is also silly. But in fairness the first Evil Dead blu-ray looks great but I still can't picture how much better it can and should look. How is the film grain? I NEED THAT FILM GRAIN.

Evil Dead 2 gets a pretty significant boost from the HDR too. The blood from the blood pipe is a deeper and much nicer red, stuff like that.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
If a whole bunch of people on ebay are selling a DVD set for a significant discount what are the odds that it's not a bunch of people selling bootlegs? I wanted to know what the Maude complete series set goes for and all online retailers price it at about 75-80 bucks. But then a poo poo ton of ebay sellers have it for a little under 40. Could it be that these are overstock or bulk warehouse dealers or just a sea of bootlegs. I'm not sure what to think because that's a really specific thing to be so widely bootlegged and I can't imagine all the kids are sitting around shouting "I need to see all of Maude!".

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

CPL593H posted:

If a whole bunch of people on ebay are selling a DVD set for a significant discount what are the odds that it's not a bunch of people selling bootlegs? I wanted to know what the Maude complete series set goes for and all online retailers price it at about 75-80 bucks. But then a poo poo ton of ebay sellers have it for a little under 40. Could it be that these are overstock or bulk warehouse dealers or just a sea of bootlegs. I'm not sure what to think because that's a really specific thing to be so widely bootlegged and I can't imagine all the kids are sitting around shouting "I need to see all of Maude!".

They are definitely bootlegs. Shout Factory TV sets get bootlegged a lot—The Nanny, Mary Hartman Mary Hartman, Maude, The Phi Silvers Show, you name it. It's a known problem. A good indicator of this is when you see people complaining on Amazon or eBay about duplicate discs in the set, or very low picture quality, etc.

Part of what make these older shows targets for becoming bootlegs by the way is that nobody necessarily expects great picture quality from an older show, so they can get away with using a single-layer disc in order to cut costs. That's really the racket—take something that would normally be dual-layer discs, manufacture them on cheap and often unreliably faulty single-layer discs, and sell it for half price. Any low picture quality just gets blamed on the show being old.

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 12, 2021

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

CPL593H posted:

I picked up the All in the Family box set for about a third of the Amazon price a few years ago and it's a legit copy. Maybe I got lucky?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I unknowingly bought a Cowboy Bebop bootleg off Amazon in like 2003, now that it's on Blu ray I should probably upgrade

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I picked up the All in the Family box set for about a third of the Amazon price a few years ago and it's a legit copy. Maybe I got lucky?

There are deals to be had I'm sure but they're tricky to sort out from all the bootleggers. Now I wonder if my Max Headroom set is a phony. It was still sealed with the hype sticker though, not that those things can't be faked.

edit: Turns out it's in print again and I could have bought it directly from Shout if I'd waited. Boooooooo.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 12, 2021

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I got Shout’s The Seven Percent Solution for a reasonable price on Amazon despite being out of print. The printing on the disc gave it away immediately, the bad image and burned in subtitles was just insult to injury. I’m going to try and avoid boutique discs from Amazon from here on out.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Iron Crowned posted:

I unknowingly bought a Cowboy Bebop bootleg off Amazon in like 2003, now that it's on Blu ray I should probably upgrade

absolutely. that set is stunning.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I discovered you simply CAN NOT find a physical copy of the Snyder Cut on 4K 4-disc set in Auckland at the moment. Had to buy mine online.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vagabundo posted:

I discovered you simply CAN NOT find a physical copy of the Snyder Cut on 4K 4-disc set in Auckland at the moment. Had to buy mine online.

ZSJL? That’s out in 4K now? I’m looking on Amazon and I see what appears to be a foreign release but not a domestic one.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

ZSJL? That’s out in 4K now? I’m looking on Amazon and I see what appears to be a foreign release but not a domestic one.

Yep. It's available in Oceania, Japan and Europe. The stores are struggling to keep up with demand though, since apparently they're pretty much flying off the shelves. I bought mine from the JB HiFi online store.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

When is it out in the US?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

No announced release date as of yet.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The 4k UHDs of the Rambo: First Blood trilogy are on sale for $10 each on Amazon right now.

The original is gorgeous in HDR, and one of my favorite UHD's I've purchased. I'm grabbing First Blood Part 2 at this price. A 1985 George Cosmatos action film, filmed in Mexico with tons of physical effects; pretty much what the format was made for.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 14, 2021

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The Indy 4Ks look delicious, and I like the new color correction on Crystal Skull so it’s not as sickeningly bloomed out looking.

Crystal Skull appreciation station incoming. I don’t think it deserves the ire it gets. Lots of fun sequences like the Area 51 warehouse, the campus and jungle chases, a brawl in the middle of a colony of man eating ants. Even the nuke fridge doesn’t bother me. Shia swinging with monkeys is about the only thing that takes me out of it. Cate Blanchette chews every scene she’s in as the evil telepath wannabe Russian, and Shia makes a great greaser kid, and it’s a lot of fun seeing Marion from Raiders back with Indy.

It belongs in a museum!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

man nurse posted:

The Indy 4Ks look delicious, and I like the new color correction on Crystal Skull so it’s not as sickeningly bloomed out looking.

Crystal Skull appreciation station incoming. I don’t think it deserves the ire it gets. Lots of fun sequences like the Area 51 warehouse, the campus and jungle chases, a brawl in the middle of a colony of man eating ants. Even the nuke fridge doesn’t bother me. Shia swinging with monkeys is about the only thing that takes me out of it. Cate Blanchette chews every scene she’s in as the evil telepath wannabe Russian, and Shia makes a great greaser kid, and it’s a lot of fun seeing Marion from Raiders back with Indy.

It belongs in a museum!

For me the thing holding Crystal Skull back from being like a solid 8/10 film is the script. There's just too many bizarre lines of dialogue that are so ham-fisted and artificial sounding that the likes of Ford, Blanchette and Winstone couldn't even pull them off.

And honestly there aren't that many of them but when they happen they completely take me out of the movie. If I could erase like, five or six lines from the movie I think it would improve my experience drastically and I'd consider Crystal Skull to be a fully worthy sequel.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

For me the thing holding Crystal Skull back from being like a solid 8/10 film is the script. There's just too many bizarre lines of dialogue that are so ham-fisted and artificial sounding that the likes of Ford, Blanchette and Winstone couldn't even pull them off.

And honestly there aren't that many of them but when they happen they completely take me out of the movie. If I could erase like, five or six lines from the movie I think it would improve my experience drastically and I'd consider Crystal Skull to be a fully worthy sequel.

I’ll agree with that, there’s a few instances of cringeworthy lines and delivery, plus the popular mention of the wrong “part-time!” take. Makes the proceedings feel campier than they need to, which the film already leans on quite a bit. I still think there’s plenty to like though. I’d probably rank it just below Crusade which also leaned into camp and family hijinks compared to the first two.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Seems like there's some kind of Shout/Scream Factory sale on Amazon, looking at Blu-Ray.com

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Crystal Skull spends so much of it's dialogue with the character bickering, and it's insufferable. I don't need my action sequences punctuated by Allen yelling at Ford. It's frustrating. I know the characters are mad at each other because of their history. Focus the dialogue where that is conveyed without it being the only thing they're saying.

I also think Mac's constant flip-flopping makes the film less focused in ways. It feels more like plot contrivances than character based, and it just makes parts of the film feel loose, and like they are forcing more roadblocks for the characters than necessary.

I also get annoyed by some of the comedic choices. I know Indiana Jones is always heightened, but Spielberg was always smarter about when to push things into absurdity, and Crystal Skull is too absurd in places. My biggest gripe is when Indiana Jones has to escape quicksand by grabbing a giant snake Mutt has thrown him. I get the joke, I know it's a play on the character's fear, but I can't ignore how stupid it is to use a snake for a rope. That is way more egregious than, say, the refrigerator sequence.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Like in every other Indiana Jones movie Indy is a skeptic and dismissive of the purported power of whatever ancient artifact he's after, and he turns to a believer by the end and that belief is what saves him; but Crystal Skull he buys it all from the beginning, it felt off.

However it has been years and years since I've seen any of them but that's what I remember not liking about Crystal Skull.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Using Soviets as stand-ins for the Nazis was some Boomer poo poo

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The end of Crystal Skull, the temple becomes a space ship and flies off at the end, right?

That always felt like a failure for the series's tone as well.

The ark of the covenant melts faces, but all the witnesses did because of it. The only evidence is anecdotal, from people who closed their eyes.

The Temple of Doom, they leave the temple. And it's isolated from civilization.

The Last Crusade, they leave the temple and lose the grail.

So when the Crystal Skull's temple becomes a space ship and flies away, that's a hugely significant monumental moment. Like even though it goes into an alternate dimension, surely there's enough technology in the late 50's that would pick up on such a cataclysmic event, and a temple vanishing.

It's not even about the switch in tone from 30's serial to 50's serial, which were obsessed with saucerman. It just feels like such a major event that could be observed pretty objectively by scientists or governments all around the world, while the other three were so far removed from scientific observation.

Which fuels the themes of faith, spirituality and the supernatural in their place in history of the first three movies, and which the fourth one just kinda misses because of how caught up it is with aliens. I feel like maybe there should have been more emphasis on the religious aspects of the cultures who worshipped the aliens, and the end emphasizes the aliens themselves.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Is that Event Horizon by Shout worth grabbing for $20?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Akator is really isolated too though. It's not like there were satellites in the 50s, nobody would've noticed a big hole in the middle of the jungle where the temple used to be because nobody had seen the temple since the time of the Conquistadors.

If anything I ding Crystal Skull a few points for being too much like the previous films. That's one of the things I love about Temple of Doom, it feels like a true one-off adventure. The other three all have some renowned archaeologist who has a personal connection to Indy disappearing and then Indy picks up the trail, the structure is a bit repetitive.

Franchescanado posted:

Which fuels the themes of faith, spirituality and the supernatural in their place in history of the first three movies, and which the fourth one just kinda misses because of how caught up it is with aliens. I feel like maybe there should have been more emphasis on the religious aspects of the cultures who worshipped the aliens, and the end emphasizes the aliens themselves.

I actually think it works as like a further distillation of those themes though. With the Ark and the Grail, it's about supernaturally powerful artifacts and the part they played in history, but also about the importance of the knowledge of these artifacts not falling into the wrong hands, and how catastrophic it could be if they did. Crystal Skull takes that and makes it even more literal, as Indy says, the knowledge itself is the treasure. There's no Macguffin except for the secrets of the universe that the aliens probably knew didn't belong in human hands.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 14, 2021

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Tim Whatley posted:

My understanding is that it will be the definitive edition barring a 4K UHD release.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tim Whatley posted:

Yeah probably. Shout releases don't get down to $15 or less, except for, like, Cannon films and older flicks.

Basebf555 posted:

Akator is really isolated too though. It's not like there were satellites in the 50s, nobody would've noticed a big hole in the middle of the jungle where the temple used to be because nobody had seen the temple since the time of the Conquistadors.

If anything I ding Crystal Skull a few points for being too much like the previous films. That's one of the things I love about Temple of Doom, it feels like a true one-off adventure. The other three all have some renowned archaeologist who has a personal connection to Indy disappearing and then Indy picks up the trail, the structure is a bit repetitive.

I actually think it works as like a further distillation of those themes though. With the Ark and the Grail, it's about supernaturally powerful artifacts and the part they played in history, but also about the importance of the knowledge of these artifacts not falling into the wrong hands, and how catastrophic it could be if they did. Crystal Skull takes that and makes it even more literal, as Indy says, the knowledge itself is the treasure. There's no Macguffin except for the secrets of the universe that the aliens probably knew didn't belong in human hands.

These are fair counter-points.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

PlushCow posted:

Like in every other Indiana Jones movie Indy is a skeptic and dismissive of the purported power of whatever ancient artifact he's after, and he turns to a believer by the end and that belief is what saves him; but Crystal Skull he buys it all from the beginning, it felt off.

However it has been years and years since I've seen any of them but that's what I remember not liking about Crystal Skull.

Which is especially weird because they show the Crystal Skull doesn't work. The Russian lady tries to zap him with it and nothing happens.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

Which is especially weird because they show the Crystal Skull doesn't work. The Russian lady tries to zap him with it and nothing happens.

It works it just doesn't work on command, it has it's own agency. That's why it communicated with Oxley and nobody else.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Basebf555 posted:

It works it just doesn't work on command, it has it's own agency. That's why it communicated with Oxley and nobody else.

So then why did they all keep going to the spaceship if the couldn't use the skull as a weapon?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

So then why did they all keep going to the spaceship if the couldn't use the skull as a weapon?

Hubris. The answer is always hubris.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I seem to remember Indy being fairly dismissive of the legends and myths and whatnot throughout most of the runtime. He laughs at all the psychic stuff the bad lady tries to do and also talks down the stuff Mutt is talking about when they meet at the diner.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think most of the action scenes in KOTCS are badly done. Previous entries are gritty and Indy gets hurt constantly. Then the last entry comes along and here’s poo poo the Beef sword fighting on the back of an amphibious vehicle while it races through the jungle. gently caress, I hate that movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's definitely true, Indy floats through the movie a lot more easily than he does in any of the others. In all the others he visibly gets the poo poo beaten out of him at least once.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There was this trend in the 00s for these huge dynamic action set pieces that the heroes basically sleepwalk through while making jokes. It worked pretty well in the first POTC movie, but nothing else after that. It sucks because there’s never a real feeling of peril unless they absolutely force it in there.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I assume in Crystal Skull it was more of an issue with Ford's age though. I doubt he was as agile in 2008 as he was during the initial trilogy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

I assume in Crystal Skull it was more of an issue with Ford's age though. I doubt he's as agile as he was during the initial trilogy.

Yea but you could have him doing the same basic actions and just show him getting hurt like he did in the previous movies. It's not like you actually have to punch 70 year old Harrison Ford in the face. Like, he barely gets a scratch on him in Crystal Skull if I remember correctly.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I remember liking Crystal Skull in the context of "it's a brand new indiana jones movie that our whole family can go to see in the theater" and it felt right.

I haven't seen it since and I probably never will. But there's something about a whole theater of people seeing an Indy flick for the first time that no amount of home video tweaking can recapture.

Hell, people liked Phantom Menace for the first couple of months for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea when a beloved series spans multiple generations like that, and then it's back and it's the original director and the same star and all that and it feels good, it feels really good. And Crystal Skull definitely delivered that at least. There's a palpable feeling when you know parents who grew up with something and shared it with their kids are now together at the theater sharing a new entry together.

In a few years we'll probably get that again whenever Daniel Radcliffe decides to step back into Harry Potter, there will be 40 and 50 year olds in the theater just as excited as their kids and grandkids and it'll be a great atmosphere because of that.