Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....

Behotti posted:

I'm a former member looking to get back in. I'm kind of retiring my old Sci main and have rolled a new Tac captain.

I hate to tell you this but Starfleet Dental accomplished its mission almost too well. We'll never see the days of fumigating Drozana or patrolling Risa for safety violations again. All we do these days is play ship dress-up and AFK event missions. I may be speaking for myself though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
Finally! Support was able to connect my second account to my new Arc account. That account has over 57,000 store credits, those will be fun. I will probably just start completely fresh with a character on that account for now and make sure I'm paying better attention. Thanks for the help everyone.

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe

faxmachine posted:

I hate to tell you this but Starfleet Dental accomplished its mission almost too well. We'll never see the days of fumigating Drozana or patrolling Risa for safety violations again. All we do these days is play ship dress-up and AFK event missions. I may be speaking for myself though.

I don't really care I guess, I just like being grouped with Goons who generally are better than a group of random pubbies, even if it is just hanging out and BSing.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Floob posted:

Finally! Support was able to connect my second account to my new Arc account. That account has over 57,000 store credits, those will be fun. I will probably just start completely fresh with a character on that account for now and make sure I'm paying better attention. Thanks for the help everyone.

If the Mudd pack is still on discount it might not be a bad idea to pick it up and take as your three choices the two multi-ship packs and either of the singular ships, though the 2pack of 100% off T6 ships coupons is IIRC a bit of a discount compared to buying them normally (usually 3k each ship), though ships you get as part of a multi-pack are typically Buy 2 Get 1 Free arrangements. If you can be patient however you're probably better off waiting for a ship sale, which happen every now and then and apply to both individual ships and multi-pack purchases.

For other stuff unless there's something you really need I'd wait for any sale.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Floob posted:

That's the one. That ship sure didn't like me. Ok, so in my attempt to just power through the mission I was already bored with, I probably missed that dialog. I'll give the game another go tonight when I have more time. I was in a hurry this weekend, and the game wasn't having that.
Ignoring the special circumstances in that mission, a few things to check if ship combat is taking too long at early leves.

First off, make sure you have your weapons power set to max. Don't try to play around with changing weapons power to increase defense or speed, just set weapons max and leave it there.

Second, make sure your gear is coherent. If you're running beams, fill your ship with beams (and maybe one torped) of matching energy types. For cannons, use matcing cannons in front and turrets in back. If you don't have enough from random drops, feel free to ask in chat for some crafted ones. At low levels, crafted gear is basically free for veterans to craft. Also ask for crafted tac consoles to match your chose energy type.

Pick bridge officer abilities that will enhance your damage. Beam Overload or Beam Fire at Will for beams, Scatter Volley or Rapid Fire for cannons, Torpedo Spread or High Yield for torps. Attack Pattern Beta or Omega are good choices as well. For engineer seats, look for Emergency Power to Weapons. Fit the highest levels you can, and spam them as often as you can. Since you won't have good cooldown reduction at low levels, it's ok to double up on the important abilities so you can keep them up more often.

Right click your weapons in the weapons bar so they have a green outline around them. That sets them to autofire, which will keep them shooting as long as the enemy is in range.

Don't worry too much about trying to take down the shields and perfectly time your high yield torpedo to hit on bare hull. It's nice when it happens, but you're better off just shooting everything as fast as you can, and hitting your boff abilities as soon as they come off cooldown, than waiting for the perfect moment.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Do ship sales include the big bundles that are mostly ships but have some other stuff, like the Gamma Vanguard pack?

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

wdarkk posted:

Do ship sales include the big bundles that are mostly ships but have some other stuff, like the Gamma Vanguard pack?
Generally no. Occasionally they have bundle sales when those big bundles will be on sale.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It depends but generally not, those still tend to go on sale during the bigger holiday sales though.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The 4-piece space mushroom set isn't the optimal setup but:

[8:29]Your Enhanced Weaponized Mycelium Emitter deals 865554 (525604) Radiation Damage(Critical) to Sheshar Dreadnought

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

wdarkk posted:

I don't recall seeing more than 25% discount on them in all of 2020 or 2021 (9K Zen for a base 12K ship mega bundle, or 11.25K for a base 15K expansion), though someone else may correct me. (I believe there were 30% discounts in previous years.)

In contrast, right before Christmas 2020 ("from December 22nd at 8am PT (17:00 CET) - December 24th at 10am PT (19:00 CET)") all three of the then-revealed Mudd's Choice packs were discounted by 75% (7375 Zen each).

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

g0del posted:

Ignoring the special circumstances in that mission, a few things to check if ship combat is taking too long at early leves.

First off, make sure you have your weapons power set to max. Don't try to play around with changing weapons power to increase defense or speed, just set weapons max and leave it there.

Second, make sure your gear is coherent. If you're running beams, fill your ship with beams (and maybe one torped) of matching energy types. For cannons, use matcing cannons in front and turrets in back. If you don't have enough from random drops, feel free to ask in chat for some crafted ones. At low levels, crafted gear is basically free for veterans to craft. Also ask for crafted tac consoles to match your chose energy type.

Pick bridge officer abilities that will enhance your damage. Beam Overload or Beam Fire at Will for beams, Scatter Volley or Rapid Fire for cannons, Torpedo Spread or High Yield for torps. Attack Pattern Beta or Omega are good choices as well. For engineer seats, look for Emergency Power to Weapons. Fit the highest levels you can, and spam them as often as you can. Since you won't have good cooldown reduction at low levels, it's ok to double up on the important abilities so you can keep them up more often.

Right click your weapons in the weapons bar so they have a green outline around them. That sets them to autofire, which will keep them shooting as long as the enemy is in range.

Don't worry too much about trying to take down the shields and perfectly time your high yield torpedo to hit on bare hull. It's nice when it happens, but you're better off just shooting everything as fast as you can, and hitting your boff abilities as soon as they come off cooldown, than waiting for the perfect moment.

Thank you for this. I deleted my character last night and recreated it. I found I had missed some early story line missions that I probably did years ago and just thought the character was new. That helped, but when fighting the Borg sphere I ended up getting destroyed. I respawned and played it a bit more safe and got the win just barely, and the fleet showed up to finish off the cube and the mission. As soon as I was back at dock I noticed my inventory was full of ship gear I wasn't even using. So, back in space I did what you suggested by turning up weapons to 100% (They were at 50%) and equipping all that better gear, I should be better off now.

As far as sales go, the MUD ones are 50% off. I am going to wait for the 10 year everyone suggests, but I may pick up a small bundle or ship soon just to get a better feel for the game potential.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

If you want to drop a handful of zen right away to have a fun ship to gently caress around in that's still good down the road, grab the Arbiter or Kurrak or Morrigu (the're the fed/klink/rom flavors of more or less the same battlecruiser). The ship itself isn't some tier-1 late endgame monster, but the ship trait that it comes with (Emergency Weapon Cycle) is something you'll be slotting until the end of time so you'll buy it eventually anyways. In the meantime it's a pretty good T6 ship that will be useful until you're in the sort of position where you've developed opinions about what T6 ships are better. If you never bother getting to that point properly kitted out it's fully capable of doing any end game content you care to name.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I think I'm getting a lot better at the ground portion of this game. My current strategy is to set up turrets a distance away from the next group of enemies, then I tell my engineer officer to go ahead a distance closer and lay out some landmines then come back to the main group, then I run out and bait the next group back to the turrets (or I could tell the tactical officer to do that), then I pause and identify which of the enemies is the toughest and shielded, and engage in melee combat that goes through their shields. I've stopped using the abilities that have effects that are too flashy and distracting, including Plasma Grenade, Overwatch, Shield Generator, and Medical Generator, in favor of the doctor abilities that repair health and the engineer abilities that directly repair personal shields. IMO they really should tone down the effects on the generators, all I need is an outline of the ring, maybe even only when I click the turret. I also realized that melee abilities are probably useless on the tactical boffs

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 16, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oberth model update is in-game, apparently.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I have no idea if this is optimal, but I always use a science officer with 2 medical tricorders and the reraise alongside the command crouch skill, an engineer with 2 shield heals, miracle worker harmonize shields, and support drone. Then I have two tacs because I have no idea what the best damaging ground boffs are, though they also have the command crouch skill. This gives me a solid amount of healing that I basically never die and mk 15 weapons on my character take care of the rest. If you havent' gotten it yet, the Nak'hul two piece from uh...the temporal arc is a real life saver, as is Terran Cloaking Device from Terran rep.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The biggest favor you can do yourself on ground combat is to spring the lobi for the nakul staff and spend some Phoenix upgrades on more 15 golding it. Hell it’s worth a super upgrade when you get one from an event.

That alone will make just face rolling ground combat so much easier. The game spams so many enemies at you that ttk is the big thing you need to improve.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you want to drop a handful of zen right away to have a fun ship to gently caress around in that's still good down the road, grab the Arbiter or Kurrak or Morrigu (the're the fed/klink/rom flavors of more or less the same battlecruiser). The ship itself isn't some tier-1 late endgame monster, but the ship trait that it comes with (Emergency Weapon Cycle) is something you'll be slotting until the end of time so you'll buy it eventually anyways. In the meantime it's a pretty good T6 ship that will be useful until you're in the sort of position where you've developed opinions about what T6 ships are better. If you never bother getting to that point properly kitted out it's fully capable of doing any end game content you care to name.

I bought the Arbitor last night and took it through a couple of the storyline missions. Not bad at all. I am struggling with how to move my crew around. I had purchased a liberated borg deck officer at some point and cannot figure out how to get her into the lineup. There's quite a steep learning curve, and that's something I am used to, but this seems purposely difficult.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, it's less purposely difficult and more artifacts of dozens of partially phased out and replaced gameplay systems stacked on top of each other.

You claim purchased bridge officers from the store; when you claim you can either put them on your crew right away or they go live in your candidate roster. The bridge stations screen should have a button at the bottom that brings up the candidate roster, you can put them on your crew there.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 16, 2021

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

MikeJF posted:

Honestly, it's less purposely difficult and more artifacts of dozens of partially phased out and replaced gameplay systems stacked on top of each other.

You claim purchased bridge officers from the store; when you claim you can either put them on your crew right away or they go live in your candidate roster. The bridge stations screen should have a button at the bottom that brings up the candidate roster, you can put them on your crew there.

It was in my inventory, and I right clicked it and a com popped up where I was talking to her. The option then was "Not now". So you're saying there's a bridge stations screen? I'll have another look tonight.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

You probably don't have any empty BOff slots right now. Right click on them in your inventory and there should be an option like 'Move to Candidate Roster' or something similar. This will remove them from your inventory and add them to a list that you can access via the stations tab of your character screen.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Taerkar posted:

You probably don't have any empty BOff slots right now. Right click on them in your inventory and there should be an option like 'Move to Candidate Roster' or something similar. This will remove them from your inventory and add them to a list that you can access via the stations tab of your character screen.

I didn't have an open station before the Arbiter, but now it looks like I do, and I couldn't figure out how to add anyone there. One other issue I am having is just how tiny the screen icons are around the map and the other side of the screen. I play on a 4k display and the gui doesn't seem to scale well. I'll take another dive in tonight and see if I can find it. I keep comparing this to Eve, but Eve has an amazing tutorial system that holds your hand. I didn't like that in Eve, but here I feel like I need it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's a UI scale in options you can turn up manually.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ship station slots are different than your BOff slots, which are on the left side of your character screen. You'll your character, your active ship, your current small craft (If you have one), and then each of your bridge officers. If you have any open slots they'll be there, though I don't think you get more than 4 until you hit lvl 10.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Risa event starts July 1st, no idea what free ship it'll have though.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Floob posted:

It was in my inventory, and I right clicked it and a com popped up where I was talking to her. The option then was "Not now". So you're saying there's a bridge stations screen? I'll have another look tonight.

If you hit not now they're in your candidate roster, which is buried in a menu I can never find. That's fine, she'll stay put htere until you're ready.

The number of boffs is pretty limited early on, but you get more slots for them as you level.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you hit not now they're in your candidate roster, which is buried in a menu I can never find. That's fine, she'll stay put htere until you're ready.

The number of boffs is pretty limited early on, but you get more slots for them as you level.

It's a button on the bottom of the Stations screen. I can't remember the name anyway.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Some of the boffs in the z-store are claimed directly and immediately show up to be added to your boffs/candidate roster (most promo boffs and individual boffs in the z-store). Some instead give you a token in your inventory which you can spend at the NPC boff vendor (Caitian, Ferasan, and Aenar boffs). Some give you a box in your inventory, which when opened immediately adds a bunch of boffs that want to join or go to your candidate roster (Delta and Gamma bundle boffs). Some give you a box in your inventory, which when opened dumps a bunch more boxes in your inventory which contain the individual boffs (TOS and DS9 holo-boffs).

As Cyrano4747 and others have pointed out, the number of active boff slots you get without paying money is very limited until you reach higher levels. And the candidate roster maxes out at (I think) 16, so if you've gone on a boff spending spree in the z-store it's pretty easy to max out early on.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Also be wary that most of the BOffs in the zstore are one-time and not account unlocks. You can also get an EMH BOff from the phoenix store that's a pretty decent ground doctor.

Once you have 8+ BOffs you're going to want to have a dedicated ground team with all four traits being ground based (Purple quality so 2x Superior (or equivalent) + 2x Normal traits) and BOffs with space traits for your ships, most of which you'll get from Fleet holdings over time.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

TIL Boffs have traits. Maybe that's why my approach to ground combat is "focus on one thing until I die, res, repeat"

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
The traits really don’t matter, unless you’re going for a gimmick all-borg away team for maximum stun or something ridiculous.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I've got a gimmick Caitian away team on one of my characters. Pounce on everything.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Did anyone else lose character slots with today's patch? I went from having two slots free (one I was earmarking for the inevitable temporal recruit rerun) to having none and a button to buy more slots.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I have 10 characters with 4 slots remaining. (9 base + 5 for a bad decision long ago)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I have 3 slots open with 7 characters so nothing has changed for me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Got a reply from a GM pretty fast, a "We're aware of the issue, lots of people have reported it and GMs can't fix it, devs are working on it, no ETA."

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Taerkar posted:

Also be wary that most of the BOffs in the zstore are one-time and not account unlocks. You can also get an EMH BOff from the phoenix store that's a pretty decent ground doctor.
If you're talking about the caitian/ferasan/aenar/borg boffs, cryptic made those account unlock awhile ago. Buy it once and you can reclaim as often as you want. All the promo boffs I have are account unlock, the bundle boffs are account unlock, as are the Mudd's boffs - honestly the only z-store boffs I can think of that are one-time are the Disco holo-boffs from the legendary walker bundle (it's a bad bundle, don't buy it).

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Must not have been retroactive. Oh well.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
This game is truly unbelievable to me. How does anyone get anything done? There's at least five things I have no idea how to do right now... I finally figured out the crew selection, it was under a tiny button about the size of what my intellect feels like right now. But I couldn't take on the new crew member, so I had to delete one. Then the new crew member seems to be the wrong type, so I went to the store and bought a couple others. Those are some kind of card in my inventory that says to bring to a Crew Requisition Officer and I can't find one of those anywhere.

I also had a ship upgrade in my mail for some kind of reward and that needs to go to a Starship Selector NPC... Guess what? No idea where that person is...

My inventory is almost full and it looks like it's all junk, but I have no idea where to sell it, if I can even sell it...

Is there really just not a single tutorial for this game, they just drop you off in space?

I'm going down to Starfleet academy and see if I can find these things there.

Floob fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 17, 2021

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
I figured out the new bridge officer card I bought from the store. That card is used like currency, but you have to find the right npc to trade it to, and it's not obvious... I had to locate the officer in her store that matched my card. That was a bit crazy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Floob posted:

This game is truly unbelievable to me. How does anyone get anything done? There's at least five things I have no idea how to do right now... I finally figured out the crew selection, it was under a tiny button about the size of what my intellect feels like right now. But I couldn't take on the new crew member, so I had to delete one. Then the new crew member seems to be the wrong type, so I went to the store and bought a couple others. Those are some kind of card in my inventory that says to bring to a Crew Requisition Officer and I can't find one of those anywhere.

I also had a ship upgrade in my mail for some kind of reward and that needs to go to a Starship Selector NPC... Guess what? No idea where that person is...

My inventory is almost full and it looks like it's all junk, but I have no idea where to sell it, if I can even sell it...

Is there really just not a single tutorial for this game, they just drop you off in space?

I'm going down to Starfleet academy and see if I can find these things there.

If you don't have room for a Bridge Officer, you can say 'Not Now' and they'll hang around until you have space, which you'll get some of as you level.

The Ship Selector is in Earth Spacedock, at level 10 you should get a quest pointing you there to get a new ship and to switch to it. Right next to them you'll see a 'Requisitions' NPC with a weird gizmo next to the EC symbol over their head, you can sell junk to them, as well as buy basic white gear from.