Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Axe-man posted:

Are separated Nacelles dumb, or are we RLM style old boomers who don't understand the kids?

I just figure a ship should either be a contiguous unit or a floating mass of separate bits, not a mix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Of all the things to separate, nacelles seem like the dumbest possible idea

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Axe-man posted:

I mean the real trick here in Star Trek are the replicators, they are the thing that basically breaks all the rules and make it post scarcity. It also eliminates commerce on such a scale, I literally don't know what the interstellar community "trades."

Beyond actual living things, and the few vague things it cannot create.

They were never really clear on this, but it seems reasonable that replicators can't transmute elements, so if you want to make a doodad out of unobtainium, you have to give it the same mass in unobtainium to start with. All a replicator can do is rearrange atoms. This also neatly explains why you can't just replicate more latinum. Food is all made of the same few very common elements, so it's easy to have huge tanks of material ready for that, and it's why food is the most common replicated stuff we see.

It also seems like a replicator is a really energy-inefficient way to make something. If you're on a starship with a huge-rear end warp core providing gigantic amounts of power anyway, that probably won't be an issue -- unless of course unless you're stranded halfway across the galaxy, in which case the whole crew replicating their lunch might actually add up to a significant energy drain and would need to be restricted. (Maybe you could pick up a local who can act as a chef.) So while replicators are very handy for small-scale use or for routine use on energy-rich environments like starships and starbases, they'd be utterly hopeless for mass production of items that you'd need on a planetary scale.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

We have the voice cast for Prodigy. Beyond Mulgrew:

quote:

Dee Bradley Baker (“SpongeBob SquarePants”) as Murf, an endearing, indestructible blob with curiously good timing and an insatiable appetite for ship parts.

Ella Purnell (“Army of the Dead”) as Gwyn, a 17-year-old Vau N’Akat and wannabe explorer raised on her father’s bleak mining planet.

Jason Mantzoukas (“Infinite”) as Jankom Pog, a 16-year-old argumentative Tellarite who will always play devil’s advocate.

Angus Imrie (“The Crown”) as Zero, an energy-based lifeform known as a Medusan who wears a containment suit to protect others from going mad if they see Zero’s true form.

Rylee Alazraqui (“Home Economics”) as Rok-Tahk, an animal-loving and unusually bright eight-year-old female Brikar.

Brett Gray (“On My Block”) as Dal, a teenager from an unknown species who fancies himself a maverick.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

And yet I bet Janeway won't kill even one of those kids

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
DBB is a good VA catch and the Medusan is cool, but I’m still having a hard time caring about this show at all.

But I’m also not the intended audience, so :shrug:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Is the medusan the ball with legs?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Brawnfire posted:

Is the medusan the ball with legs?

Edit: Oh, you mean in Prodigy. Yeah:

I'm more surprised at the inclusion of a Brikari character. That's a deep cut (the Brikari come from Peter David's New Frontier series of novels).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Should have just said “Jankom Pog, a Tellerite.”

Timby posted:

I'm more surprised at the inclusion of a Brikari character. That's a deep cut (the Brikari come from Peter David's New Frontier series of novels).

Not too deep, that guy was a main character after all. I can only hope this one will also literally tear people (that tried to shoot her) in half.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 14, 2021

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

brikar, not brikari. they're from the tng starfleet academy books.

:edit: oh, it's the same guy in both the new frontier and the starfleet academy books.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Axe-man posted:

Are separated Nacelles dumb, or are we RLM style old boomers who don't understand the kids?

It’s been legitimately fascinating/depressing watching Mike and Rich slowly work through the five stages of grief over the realization that Star Trek isn’t TNG anymore and actually hasn’t been TNG anymore for the majority of their lives now because they’re old. They’re so miserable they won’t even bother watching Lower Decks, the best Trek show since DS9 went off the air.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

So they're... Brick people?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

thotsky posted:

Why would a spacesuit be leaving the spacestation?

I'm so happy to have been there at the right moment for that conversation. My goodness.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Brawnfire posted:

So they're... Brick people?

Hard like brick, look like people, briiiiick people

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

It’s been legitimately fascinating/depressing watching Mike and Rich slowly work through the five stages of grief over the realization that Star Trek isn’t TNG anymore and actually hasn’t been TNG anymore for the majority of their lives now because they’re old. They’re so miserable they won’t even bother watching Lower Decks, the best Trek show since DS9 went off the air.

Faint praise, damning, etc

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I totally called that the one guy was a Tellarite

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

DBB is a good VA catch and the Medusan is cool, but I’m still having a hard time caring about this show at all.

But I’m also not the intended audience, so :shrug:

Yeah, Prodigy is something I might watch in a few years if I hear it's gone in a Clone Wars/Rebels direction and somehow become unexpectedly important to the bigger shows. Or if my niece gets into it and demands I watch it with her.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Delsaber posted:

Yeah, Prodigy is something I might watch in a few years if I hear it's gone in a Clone Wars/Rebels direction and somehow become unexpectedly important to the bigger shows. Or if my niece gets into it and demands I watch it with her.

Now you've guaranteed she will.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

nine-gear crow posted:

They like deep space 9 which is explicitly nothing like tng.

Unless by like TNG you mean watchable bit that sounds like a good thing to realize

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Technowolf posted:

Now you've guaranteed she will.

It'll be a step up from Blippi at least.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Rylee Alazraqui is apparently the 10y/o daughter of the amazing Carlos Alazraqui, dunno if "talent for VA work" is an inherited trait though :v:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Powered Descent posted:

They were never really clear on this, but it seems reasonable that replicators can't transmute elements, so if you want to make a doodad out of unobtainium, you have to give it the same mass in unobtainium to start with. All a replicator can do is rearrange atoms. This also neatly explains why you can't just replicate more latinum. Food is all made of the same few very common elements, so it's easy to have huge tanks of material ready for that, and it's why food is the most common replicated stuff we see.

Nah, it's explicit that the replicator does matter-energy/energy-matter conversion just like a transporter. It's whether latinum can be replicated that Star Trek is unclear about.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 14, 2021

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Rylee Alazraqui is apparently the 10y/o daughter of the amazing Carlos Alazraqui, dunno if "talent for VA work" is an inherited trait though :v:

She's actually really, really good. Very rich voice for someone so young.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It still blows my mind that Deputy Garcia and Rocko the Wallaby are the same guy. Voice acting is witchcraft.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It still blows my mind that Deputy Garcia and Rocko the Wallaby are the same guy. Voice acting is witchcraft.

Kevin Clash being the voice of both Elmo and Splinter (from the live-action TMNT movies) blew my mind.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

thotsky posted:

Nah, it's explicit that the replicator does matter-energy/energy-matter conversion just like a transporter. It's whether latinum can be replicated that Star Trek is unclear about.
It's actually explicitly the other way around, the replicator beams in from a tank of generic feedstock for food. I assume there's a similar and probably separate tank for like, replicating prybars and poo poo.

That may not be what people decided replicators actually mean, sort of like with the transporter, but that's what the tech guides and poo poo says it does.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Children love the meat tank

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Jennifer Hale voiced a Vulcan and a dog in the same episode of Lower Decks and I didn't realize it for months despite hearing her voice in like a dozen projects over the last 10+ years.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

Edit: Oh, you mean in Prodigy. Yeah:

Clearly setting up an X-Men crossover

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Nessus posted:

It's actually explicitly the other way around, the replicator beams in from a tank of generic feedstock for food. I assume there's a similar and probably separate tank for like, replicating prybars and poo poo.

That may not be what people decided replicators actually mean, sort of like with the transporter, but that's what the tech guides and poo poo says it does.

Can't seem to find anything about that in canon sources, memory alpha does not mention it either. Your explanation sounds like it would fit with the predecessor to the replicator, the "protein resequencer", based purely on the name, but every reference I can find for the replicator says it consumes energy only. There is some mention of certain materials taking more energy to replicate than others, and some being impossible to replicate due to complexity, which could explain latinum, but no canon source says anything on whether or not latinum can be replicated.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've managed to reconcile this but the fact that he also did the voice of Spunky still blows my mind

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

BonHair posted:

The main problem is how they get people to peel onions and potatoes and other sucky parts of cooking. They can't have an infinite supply of grandchildren on vacation.

One thing to keep in mind is that even if there's still unpleasant or tedious jobs, it doesn't necessarily mean that people still have to spend 40+ hours a week doing those jobs. How many jobs would be more palatable if you only had to do them for a couple days a week?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Axe-man posted:

My hot take is that seperated nacelles are dumb, but less dumb looking than normal nacelles. However, if you remove the hot dogs from a Federation ship, you just get ugly flying saucers so I think at this point ya gotta have em.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I've managed to reconcile this but the fact that he also did the voice of Spunky still blows my mind
Is this like when George Clooney did the voice of a dog on South Park

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that even if there's still unpleasant or tedious jobs, it doesn't necessarily mean that people still have to spend 40+ hours a week doing those jobs. How many jobs would be more palatable if you only had to do them for a couple days a week?

Well for other chefs, usually they are also learning a craft. So you might start as the onion guy so you learn how to cut things, etc.

You know honest appreticeship instead of our corporate culture world of "oh, yeah, you can grow at this company, just be the best potato peeler in the world while we make someone who has better optics your manager."

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Axe-man posted:

Well for other chefs, usually they are also learning a craft. So you might start as the onion guy so you learn how to cut things, etc.

Or you take turns, rochambeau, draw up an equitable weekly schedule, etc. Yknow like normal people undertaking a mutual endeavor to make something good.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Back on watching ds9 season 1, the episode where the ambassador is wildly horned up for Odo rules so much. Watching Odo try to maintain volcel is so fun.

"I'm paying attention ambassador, just considering committing suicide, keep talking"

Josh Christ fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 14, 2021

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

thotsky posted:

This was my feeling too. While I love the idea of a Meat Brig, Voyager makes it pretty clear with the way they talk to the Kazon about replicators conjuring water "out of thin air"; or that two Ferengi with a shuttle-craft replicator could hold a planet hostage if they had to rely on a limited supply of glorified 3D printing goop instead of energy-matter conversion.

There are far more heinous crimes about how poo poo works than the replicator, like the transporter buffers being made into a Fountain of Youth to cure Polaski of the rapid aging in Unnatural Selection and then no one ever spoke of it again.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
There are a lot of interstellar phenomena that get showcased on the various Star Trek series. Most of them are made up, but a few of them are real. This video discusses the more noteworthy ones that appear on the show.

https://youtu.be/SlQQ4xf9o88

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The problem with going into too much detail on actual phenomena, or as I call it "Stephen Baxter Syndrome," is that you either gloss over it and reduce the science to an extremely simplified one-liner, or you have to find a way to give a better explanation without interrupting the flow of the scene.

(The author Stephen Baxter is notorious for this - his concepts are really cool but his actual writing constantly suffers from characters literally stopping what they're doing and conveniently explaining Cosmic Strings to another character for 3 pages)