Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

AlternateNu posted:

Thanks, guys. Are the X1 carbons built like the T-series re: durability? I might as well splurge, and it is looking like T14gen2 w/ the UHD display is impossible to find let alone one with the added GPU. Lenovo is doing a June sale for all their Thinkpads, and it looks like the X1 is the only one they have in stock w/ a UHD screen. (The giant SSD HD, extra RAM, and faster DDR4 don't hurt either.)

I beat on X1s with a consulting travel schedule and they are durable. Three or four years is about what I get out of one but that's as good as it gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I beat on X1s with a consulting travel schedule and they are durable. Three or four years is about what I get out of one but that's as good as it gets.

The 6 gen x1 carbon I've been using for my current job for the past 3 years has really sustained a beating and has had no issues.

I just got a new job kind of out of the blue and I'm looking to buy a X1 carbon as a personal laptop to carry with me when I travel (my job is 80% travel).

I've noticed on eBay the 5th gen x1 carbons are significantly cheaper than the 6th gens.

Is there any reason to go with the 6th gen over the 5th gen? Of course I understand that I will most likely have to replace the battery right when I get it.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Can someone educate me on how this laptop with a Ryzen might compare against a 10th gen Intel mobile processor with otherwise similar specs? Not just performance I guess. If it's a minimal difference but the Ryzen slaps in the battery department or something, that is nice. The price is certainly less for the Ryzen.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

French Canadian posted:

Can someone educate me on how this laptop with a Ryzen might compare against a 10th gen Intel mobile processor with otherwise similar specs? Not just performance I guess. If it's a minimal difference but the Ryzen slaps in the battery department or something, that is nice. The price is certainly less for the Ryzen.

Ryzen is faster, better battery, way better iGPU (so you can get way better battery life on lightweight games). It's superior in basically every way.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Sampatrick posted:

if money isnt an object, is there a better gaming laptop that treads a middle ground between performance and portability than the lenovo legion 7

Look at reviews of some of the ROG laptops. The g14 is super portable and powerful, but money no object that dual screen rog slaps pretty hard. They're comparable to legions, so it just matters on what you want.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Burn it and start over

aight I'm doing this dumb poo poo. $535 (400~ USD) for a 8550u 16GB motherboard. The thunderbolt port will just be in the same hole where the mini-DP was, I could get a replacement top plastic to match but its not worth the $50 extra.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Sampatrick posted:

if money isnt an object, is there a better gaming laptop that treads a middle ground between performance and portability than the lenovo legion 7

What does "better" mean in this context? Lighter?

I don't have personal experience with any of these but you could look into the Razer Blade Advanced, XPS17, and the think MSI have some higher quality models in their Creator series?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

BurritoJustice posted:

aight I'm doing this dumb poo poo. $535 (400~ USD) for a 8550u 16GB motherboard. The thunderbolt port will just be in the same hole where the mini-DP was, I could get a replacement top plastic to match but its not worth the $50 extra.

im glad this is happening tbh

i mean i wish a laptop fairy would just bless you with some ultrabook dust or whatever, but, since that didnt happen this is at least going to be fun and interesting to follow along with if you keep us updated

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Oops

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah plz post pics thanks

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

This seems p good but I'm not a fan of the bling lights

https://www.engadget.com/asus-rog-strix-g15-advantage-review-amd-radeon-rx-6000m-120031416.html

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I have the RTX3060 variant of the G15 and thankfully all the lighting is customizable. You can adjust it any way you like from acid trip to plain inoffensive solid colors to off.

Also, I've been extremely happy with the Asus, not only does it handle gaming well, it's just an excellent all around machine. Real nice speakers, display, thermals and fan noise. It's quieter than my 15inch 4700U Dell powered laptop under all circumstances. Only thing I missed not having was a built in fingerprint reader, but I bought a cheap Kensington USB reader that resides in one of the side USB ports and works great for Windows Hello or whatever it's called.

Edit: There's no webcam, which for me was not a issue at all. I simply have no need for one and would often put a sticker on my past ones. But if you need a built-in webcam it could be a deal-breaker. Also, if anyone's looking at these, factor in the cost of a second SSD. I forgot how big games have gotten when Forza 7 chewed up about 100GB of the factory 512GB SSD.

Here's the AMD Advantage Edition at Best Buy. Had it been out when I bought my RTX powered one I probably would have gone with it. A small increase in price but the RX6800M looks like a beast.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 14, 2021

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Mental Hospitality posted:

Here's the AMD Advantage Edition at Best Buy. Had it been out when I bought my RTX powered one I probably would have gone with it. A small increase in price but the RX6800M looks like a beast.

I think that's the one in the Engadget link I posted. Okay, good to know it's overall solid. I guess after tax it's a bit outta my budget. I'm wondering if saving $400 is worth it and just going with the Dell G15 with Ryzen 5800H and RTX3060.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Keep in mind that the 3060 in the dell is almost certainly the 80w version and not the 115w version in the Asus G15

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

French Canadian posted:

I think that's the one in the Engadget link I posted. Okay, good to know it's overall solid. I guess after tax it's a bit outta my budget. I'm wondering if saving $400 is worth it and just going with the Dell G15 with Ryzen 5800H and RTX3060.

Never had a Dell gaming laptop. I've found that absolute specs/dollar aren't quite as important to me as more manufacturer specific qualities. What does the chassis feel like in terms of materials/rigidity. How well is the cooling system designed? Is the keyboard serviceable? All I can say is I'm extremely happy with the most recent Asus G15. A lot more than my previous expensive laptop purchase; a many years old MSI GE62. Which itself wasn't a terrible machine, the Asus is just better in all the ways I mentioned.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Man the Acer Swift X seems like exactly my jam: 14" high portability laptop, reasonable price, comes with 3050 or 3050 Ti. Which means, of course, I can't find anyone selling it anywhere, or even a mention of preorders.

Clobbermeister
Aug 14, 2004

Clean. Bright. Articulate.
Well, the latest Windows update corrupted my install and forced me to reinstall Windows on my old laptop. This reinstall, probably the 6th or 7th in its long life, has put me in a somber and contemplative mood. Perhaps it is time to say goodbye. I bought this T430 in 2012 and added an SSD for OS and programs and increased RAM to 8gb. It has gone around the world with me, endured screen and battery replacements and half a dozen new chargers. Here's what I love about it:

1. It's solid. It weighs a ton. I think this translates to 'good build quality.'
2. Lil Red Nubbin
3. Removeable battery and partly accessible guts for adding RAM, SSD.
4. All the ports
5. Great stickers I put on it
6. DVD drive! Wow!

Things I don't like about it:

1. Monitor is small and crummy
2. A bit slow
3. Weighs a ton

Uses:

1. Office suite, email, web browsing, video conferencing, and watching video streaming will be 80% of the use for this computer.
2. 15% will be used to hook up to projectors to present stuff for work.
3. The remaining 5% might be very light gaming (think stuff like Loop Hero or at worst a Blizzard game with the settings on low-medium), occasional photoshop or light duty audio editing.

Budget? $1500 would be the tippy top. I'm hoping with my use cases that I could get under $1000 though. I'm happy to swap components if it doesn't require invasive surgery.

I throw myself on your mercy.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Go super portable:
https://slickdeals.net/f/15088843-thinkpad-x1-nano-13-intel-laptop-1072-25?src=SiteSearchV2Algo1

(I think the coupon still works)

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Clobbermeister posted:

Well, the latest Windows update corrupted my install and forced me to reinstall Windows on my old laptop. This reinstall, probably the 6th or 7th in its long life, has put me in a somber and contemplative mood. Perhaps it is time to say goodbye. I bought this T430 in 2012 and added an SSD for OS and programs and increased RAM to 8gb. It has gone around the world with me, endured screen and battery replacements and half a dozen new chargers. Here's what I love about it:

1. It's solid. It weighs a ton. I think this translates to 'good build quality.'
2. Lil Red Nubbin
4. All the ports
6. DVD drive! Wow!

I was going to recommend a X1 carbon as well.

This slickdeals offer is pretty sweet/tempting tbh.

I'm currently in the market for a used x1 carbon and I'm trying to decide between the 5th and 6th gen. Is there any reason to pay the extra few hundred for the 6th gen? Is the newer processor really that much of an improvement?

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
I ended going with the new M16. Z16 was too expensive and had the 60w gpu, and the Triton 500 SE isn't out and the one with the decent screen would also be too expensive.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6464203

Clobbermeister
Aug 14, 2004

Clean. Bright. Articulate.

Nice machine! Thank you for your recommendation.

It looks like the CLEAR10 coupon is expired, unfortunately. With the THINKJUNE coupon it's at ~$1800, which is beyond what I can afford.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Clobbermeister posted:

Nice machine! Thank you for your recommendation.

It looks like the CLEAR10 coupon is expired, unfortunately. With the THINKJUNE coupon it's at ~$1800, which is beyond what I can afford.

There were a few coupon deals for ThinkPads, setup a slickdeals alert. I'm beginning to get a little more optimistic on summer deals afterall.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So Razr finally made an AMD gaming laptop, and with all unlocked processor, RTX3080, in a 14" chassis.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Clobbermeister posted:

2. Lil Red Nubbin
4. All the ports
6. DVD drive! Wow!

Things I don't like about it:

1. Monitor is small and crummy
2. A bit slow
3. Weighs a ton

Uses:

1. Office suite, email, web browsing, video conferencing, and watching video streaming will be 80% of the use for this computer.
2. 15% will be used to hook up to projectors to present stuff for work.
3. The remaining 5% might be very light gaming (think stuff like Loop Hero or at worst a Blizzard game with the settings on low-medium), occasional photoshop or light duty audio editing.

Budget? $1500 would be the tippy top. I'm hoping with my use cases that I could get under $1000 though. I'm happy to swap components if it doesn't require invasive surgery.

I throw myself on your mercy.

If you like the TrackPoint you could consider the Dell Precision 3551. It's an older model with the 10th gen Intel CPU and the crummy P620 GPU but the replacement (presumably 3561) model isn't out yet.

Vostro 7500 is cheaper and has the 1650Ti GPU but it is probably chintzier and no TrackPoint.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 15, 2021

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

bull3964 posted:

So Razr finally made an AMD gaming laptop, and with all unlocked processor, RTX3080, in a 14" chassis.
Do they charge you by the unit for LN2 or is it included in the price?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

It's crazy that no OEMs have added Thunderbolt to their AMD laptops. Ryzen 5000 is great but I can't imagine spending $1000+ on a laptop and not having Thunderbolt, it adds a huge amount of future proofing and opens up a load of accessories and compatibility. It's not built into the SOC but they can add a Titan Ridge Thunderbolt controller relatively easily. The biggest issue is cost and having to dedicate 4x CPU PCIe lanes, but no-one has done it at any budget.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

USB4 is effectively TB3, so it should be coming in the next year or so

But yeah, no TB3 support is a hard No from me for a new laptop purchase. Even the Apple M1 laptops have TB3 support. TB3 support has been expected of any laptop midrange or better since 2017 and here we are in 2021

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Hadlock posted:

USB4 is effectively TB3, so it should be coming in the next year or so

But yeah, no TB3 support is a hard No from me for a new laptop purchase. Even the Apple M1 laptops have TB3 support. TB3 support has been expected of any laptop midrange or better since 2017 and here we are in 2021

TB3 is an optional component of the USB4 spec. You still need a Thunderbolt controller to feed through USB4 to get full support. Hopefully the USB4 implementation from AMD will standardise proper Thunderbolt.

I think the current AMD laptops are a dead end for a lot of purposes, not having Thunderbolt on my xps13 has been an hindrance for the whole lifetime. Having any form of Thunderbolt means you can expand in the future with eGPUs that can extend life considerably.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Biggest mistake is confusing the bandwidth of a TB3 port with capability that actually matters to the end user.

My XPS 13? Wonderful on thunderbolt. One connection gives me power and runs both my 1440p external and 4k external at 60hz+ while also using the internal display of the notebook and I connect any manner of USB devices to the dock and have them used.

My G15 on USB-C with the same dock? I can drive the 1440p display at full 144hz while also using the internal display and again connect any manner of USB devices to it. I can't fully power the laptop, but that's going to be the same for any gaming notebook on either USB-C or TB, until the 200w USB-C charging spec gets out there and things start supporting it, you are going to still have to attach power to get the full performance of the device.

My work T480, the one that would want to to act the best, doesn't. I can't run both externals (doesn't make a difference if the internal display is on or off) from the Thunderbolt port because while the port has plenty of bandwidth, Lenovo didn't wire enough displayport lanes to the port. You can't run any more than dual 1080p displays at 60hz via thunderbolt. You can get away with one 1080p60 with one 4k30, but that's it. I've also had issues on multiple TB docks (including Lenovo's pro dock) of dropping my USB headset randomly while on calls. So, the one device I would love to have a single connection with so I can easily disconnect it and shove in a drawer when I'm not working, I have three connections coming out of it (one USB-C for the 1440p external monitor, one HDMI for the 4k external and one USB for my headset.)

It's not just enough to have TB, it has to be setup in the way that you want to use it and you really need to have a use case for it.

Driving dual high res/high refresh rate monitors? Good use case (assuming it's wired in a way that can do it.)

External GPU? Also a good use case with a honking asterisk that says there's no full guarantee that TB3 will be able to handle the bandwidth needs of next generation cards (especially when using the internal display on the notebook.)

Other niche use cases like multiple high speed external SSDs or drive arrays.

My G15 will likely not spend much time hooked up to external monitors and keyboards/mice. I bought a gaming laptop to game away from my desktop. Even then, if all I was planning on doing was driving single external display while having a keyboard and mouse plugged into a dock and even some wired ethernet? No issue at all with USB-C. It's only when you get into the above use cases that you NEED TB3/4 and even if you have it, you have to do your homework if the device you are buying still supports the things you want to do.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Anyone have opinions on the MSI Creator 15? Still on the prowl for a new laptop since my old one is dying. I value having a touchscreen and a bright screen, and maybe some gaming on the side. I got the new HP envy but it was a lemon and I rma'd it, decided on a full refund cause honestly the gloss on that screen was crazy, no real point to having a bright screen if you still cant use it outdoors cause of gloss. I also kind of wanted a bit more gaming-wise, as it didn't quite hit 60 fps in apex. Antonline has this version of the MSI Creator 15 on ebay, comes with last gen parts (10875H, RTX 2060) but otherwise seems to be a decent deal?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Argona posted:

Anyone have opinions on the MSI Creator 15? Still on the prowl for a new laptop since my old one is dying. I value having a touchscreen and a bright screen, and maybe some gaming on the side. I got the new HP envy but it was a lemon and I rma'd it, decided on a full refund cause honestly the gloss on that screen was crazy, no real point to having a bright screen if you still cant use it outdoors cause of gloss. I also kind of wanted a bit more gaming-wise, as it didn't quite hit 60 fps in apex. Antonline has this version of the MSI Creator 15 on ebay, comes with last gen parts (10875H, RTX 2060) but otherwise seems to be a decent deal?

That strikes me as a little high. MSI creators are decent though I think generally a little overpriced unless you really want the aesthetics. $1000 would be a good deal for that, at that price I'd maybe just try to stretch the budget up to a G14 or something.

I guess you said you want the touchscreen so that does limit it quite a bit. It's not a bad deal.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Welp, I checked Alienware today and the X15s were available with configuration options and I took the plunge.

comes in a month.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Now that the Legion 5 is theoretically available in the US I'm thinking it's price point makes it not particularly compelling with how much competition there is now.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Is the build quality on inspirons alright? I’m currently on a $180 HP stream that I bought to be a typewriter and nothing else three or so years ago and it’s a bit sluggish even running a word processor.

I’m now in a position where I could use something that will actually serve as a real laptop and Dell has a pretty good deal going right now. I hate ordering directly from Dell because it’s a nightmare getting it fixed if the hardware is bunk and I’d rather order something with two day prime shipping because I need it soon but I haven’t been able to find anything with specs half as good for the price.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I'm thinking about adding a 1TB m.2 to the G15 Strix I just got. I've got previous experience with the WD Black m.2 and the Samsung EVO 860 series of 2.5" SSDs. This will be the secondary drive on the system to go with the 500GB m.2 that came with the system and as such will be used for gaming only. Is the WD Blue a solid one for this or are one of the others better for this sort of use?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Taerkar posted:

I'm thinking about adding a 1TB m.2 to the G15 Strix I just got. I've got previous experience with the WD Black m.2 and the Samsung EVO 860 series of 2.5" SSDs. This will be the secondary drive on the system to go with the 500GB m.2 that came with the system and as such will be used for gaming only. Is the WD Blue a solid one for this or are one of the others better for this sort of use?

Off the top of my head the WD Blue (SN550) is one of the SSD thread's top picks for value if you don't need absolute peak performance. I'm actually considering picking one up for my desktop at some point so I can either cut my lower capacity HDD. Just make sure you don't accidentally order the SATA one since they do make an M.2 SATA Blue. If you just want cheap bulk storage and don't care to much about write performance and read/write endurance, then QLC stuff might be an option.

One other thing is you might want to check what kind of drive it came with. If it's a QLC SSD the Blue might actually be higher performance since it's TLC.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 15, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Is the build quality on inspirons alright? I’m currently on a $180 HP stream that I bought to be a typewriter and nothing else three or so years ago and it’s a bit sluggish even running a word processor.

I’m now in a position where I could use something that will actually serve as a real laptop and Dell has a pretty good deal going right now. I hate ordering directly from Dell because it’s a nightmare getting it fixed if the hardware is bunk and I’d rather order something with two day prime shipping because I need it soon but I haven’t been able to find anything with specs half as good for the price.

It's pretty bad quality but about what you'd expect from a $300 laptop. As a rule I don't like inspirons but at that price point everything is going to be equivalent quality.

I like this 2-in-1 deal better for a little more if you can stretch your budget a bit, though the Ryzen iGPU is maybe better. https://deals.dell.com/en-us/mpp/productdetail/8yry

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

kirtar posted:

Off the top of my head the WD Blue (SN550) is one of the SSD thread's top picks for value if you don't need absolute peak performance. I'm actually considering picking one up for my desktop at some point so I can either cut my lower capacity HDD. Just make sure you don't accidentally order the SATA one since they do make an M.2 SATA Blue. If you just want cheap bulk storage and don't care to much about write performance and read/write endurance, then QLC stuff might be an option.

One other thing is you might want to check what kind of drive it came with. If it's a QLC SSD the Blue might actually be higher performance since it's TLC.

It appears to be this drive

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Taerkar posted:

It appears to be this drive

From what I can tell that is at least TLC so it will probably be similar enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
XPS 9510 and 9710 are live on Dell's site. Delivery is still a month out. 11800H/16GB/3050ti ordered. Should be perfect for me.