Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

zoux posted:

I read (skimmed) a paper that came out a few weeks ago, that analyzed COVID related behavior in Texas following the March "full-reopening". While cases didn't rise, neither did economic activity, leading to the conclusion that at this point, everyone has their own pandemic tolerance baked in and it doesn't really matter what the government tells you to do in that regard. I continued to wear a mask until I was 2 weeks post vaccination and then stopped because all the science tells us that vaccinated individuals are at extremely low risk for not only symptomatic disease, but non-symptomatic infection. But it didn't have anything to do with CDC or DSHS recommendations.

Technically, you're right:

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1404287741618229257

I have been fully vaccinated since mid-February but I continue to wear a mask in public because it de-stresses those around me. It's not about health per-se anymore (unless you're one of those that are not vaccinated, and if that's you, go get vaccinated today), it's about being part of a community, and wearing a mask in public until community levels of Covid infection become negligible puts those around me at ease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

saintonan posted:

Technically, you're right:

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1404287741618229257

I have been fully vaccinated since mid-February but I continue to wear a mask in public because it de-stresses those around me. It's not about health per-se anymore (unless you're one of those that are not vaccinated, and if that's you, go get vaccinated today), it's about being part of a community, and wearing a mask in public until community levels of Covid infection become negligible puts those around me at ease.

Yeah. Though I've been vaccinated for a while, I still wear a mask most places in public both to help continue to normalize it and as a courtesy/resassurance to the people working in stores etc. who serve me who have no idea whether I'm vaccinated or not, I'm one less person they have to worry about coughing on them.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Zwabu posted:

Yeah. Though I've been vaccinated for a while, I still wear a mask most places in public both to help continue to normalize it and as a courtesy/resassurance to the people working in stores etc. who serve me who have no idea whether I'm vaccinated or not, I'm one less person they have to worry about coughing on them.

That's pretty much my thoughtline. I still remember being customer facing and having someone cut me off on my last day to yell at me about some trivial issue, completely unmasked. I had literally punched out and was on my way to my car and it took all of my self control not to throw that guy the finger and say I didn't work there anymore. Those poor souls slaving at heb or wherever don't have any way to tell me apart from those assholes, so I mask up for their comfort.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Zwabu posted:

:same:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

This isn't on topic for the thread but I figured it is the best place to ask. Our neighbors are a group home for adults with autism. I just witnessed (and have on camera) something that I feel should be reported to whatever state agency regulates or oversees these things. Any idea where and how I should be doing this? One of the providers pulled up to drop somebody off and manhandled the guy out of the van and threw him on the driveway and left him. Obviously I can make a police report, but I think I also need to report this to whatever agency is overseeing this provider to be sure any followup action actually gets taken.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Department of Family and Protective Services

https://www.dfps.state.tx.us/contact_us/report_abuse.asp

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Also they probably won’t do anything about it so you might call the news too

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

zoux posted:

Department of Family and Protective Services

https://www.dfps.state.tx.us/contact_us/report_abuse.asp

Report submitted. Thanks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Also they probably won’t do anything about it so you might call the news too

Yeah. Really the only way to get things to happen any more is to take video of some horrible action so maybe have your phone at hand in case it happens again and then post it online. But don't expect swift action from the agency.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

lol
https://twitter.com/ERCOT_ISO/status/1404493708012265479?s=20

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

We hit 98 degrees a full month prior to typical times. Very cool!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Just lmao

gently caress this goddamn state.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
lollin at people on the state grid from fake Texas

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
but i thought the issues were fixed

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

So what are y'alls thermostats at?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd be interested to know what could've changed between Feb to now to prevent this (routine request for conservation before they enter EEA 1 which allows them to increase generation capacity through ancillary services)

11k MWs down due to maintenance :thunk:

e: forced maintenance, which means technical problems.

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 14, 2021

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Bitcoin is now fully allowed in Texas baby! But please dont use so much electricity it's gonna be hot today

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I worry that my vaccine might've been less effective because I had to take some advil to deal with my second vaccine fever and possibly that could reduce effective (although the things I looked up that said it might also clarified that no studies have really been done to say for sure yes or no). So I figure why not keep wearing it until there's some extra level of herd immunity to reduce exposure. There's less issues with my glasses fogging up in the warm weather anyways, unless it's just humid enough outside that there's basically ambient steam to fog them up with or without a mask.

Although there is some level of just stubbornness because I hate all the anti-maskers and their rhetoric.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Yeeeaahhh I just ordered a generator for pickup, who know how I'll get the juice into my house

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

So what are y'alls thermostats at?

60, yours?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Smugly running my AC in the Panhandle, on a proper power grid :smug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If this leads to rolling blackouts (I don't think a Feb redux is in the cards, that was due to losing something like 30k MW of capacity in an hour) then the solution will invariably be: build a shitload more thermal generation.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

zoux posted:

If this leads to rolling blackouts (I don't think a Feb redux is in the cards, that was due to losing something like 30k MW of capacity in an hour) then the solution will invariably be: build a shitload more thermal generation.

Feb redux doesn’t have to reoccur. Rolling blackouts will be sufficient to keep the power grid issues front and center.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, and I said that, and what the solution to it would be. It's not going to be increased intermittent, or connecting to the national grid, or a capacity market, or any of the other non-terrible solutions to this problem.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My gf is russian and moved here to west Texas from NYC after months of unseasonable cold winter and spring where I'd be like see, it's fine, it's not that bad of weather (and of course the death blizzard, but again, on the civilized power network so it was fine) and then it became 35+ every day immediately and I'm very sad for her.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Keeping it at 76, I'm doing my part!

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Is it bad to do an accelerationism and set the thermostat low to blow out the grid now rather than having it blown out at a more dangerous time?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Solemnly setting graphics down to "high"

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I guess 3pm is the hottest part of the day, good luck in an hour

I'll be blasting my AC (main and window unit) and playing some PS5 because I think this state needs to be taught a lesson.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Afternoon peak demand is usually around 5

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

zoux posted:

Afternoon peak demand is usually around 5

hell yeah

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
*puts thermostat down to 73*
Heh nothin personal Abbot

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So the Texas AG race is turning into a GOP clown car. Do they expect Paxton to actually be convicted before the primary, or is it just going to be a knife fight for the nomination.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's going to be whoever Trump endorses. Since Paxton filed the suit to overturn the election, spoke at the 1/6 rally, and frequently makes pilgrimages to Mar a Lago to lick Trump's boots, I'd say the smart money is on him.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

zoux posted:

It's going to be whoever Trump endorses. Since Paxton filed the suit to overturn the election, spoke at the 1/6 rally, and frequently makes pilgrimages to Mar a Lago to lick Trump's boots, I'd say the smart money is on him.

What about the Texas money?

:rimshot:

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I got one of the last two 5KW generators at my local Lowe's, gonna pick it up today :v:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
When Trump strokes out of this mortal coil Mar-a-Lago is going to become Chud Graceland and we are going to get fat jersey dudes wearing spurs doing campaign ads in front of his thin blue line spangled memorial statue until Houston floods

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1303082913467191297

:thunk:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

It's not a problem if you refuse to acknowledge it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

D-Pad posted:

Report submitted. Thanks.

zoux posted:

Yeah. Really the only way to get things to happen any more is to take video of some horrible action so maybe have your phone at hand in case it happens again and then post it online. But don't expect swift action from the agency.

Holy poo poo the state already opened a case and an investigator called me. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect the state services to move so fast. The only thing I can think is they already had an investigation open into this provider so it got picked up immediately.

The providers website no longer exists and redirects to a 3rd party services listing website so they may already be in trouble or have sold their group homes.

My security camera caught the whole thing so I am providing them video.