Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Anybody have experience with Skyrim VR not loading up? I get the 'launching executable' notification, a black rectangle for maybe a half-second, then it closes down again. I've tried reinstalling the game, reinstalling SteamVR, uninstalling OVR Advanced Settings, and making sure no old Vortex configs were interfering. Absolutely nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Pierson posted:

Anybody have experience with Skyrim VR not loading up? I get the 'launching executable' notification, a black rectangle for maybe a half-second, then it closes down again. I've tried reinstalling the game, reinstalling SteamVR, uninstalling OVR Advanced Settings, and making sure no old Vortex configs were interfering. Absolutely nothing.

Are you using an Oculus device? If so, look in your Task Manager's details tab and manually close any SteamVR processes you may find. Try again.

Sometimes after repeated game launches, SteamVR just stops launching Skyrim properly. Usually killing SteamVR and relaunching it can fix it.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Is there a way to get the Museum of Other Realities on the Quest 2 rather than steamvr? I don't see it in the store.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

Is there a way to get the Museum of Other Realities on the Quest 2 rather than steamvr? I don't see it in the store.

Only for PC. It's free on Steam right now.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Tip posted:

nerf arena blast is back baby

https://www.nerfvr.com lol

I definitely played and enjoyed this Nerf game back in the day.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Nalin posted:

Are you using an Oculus device? If so, look in your Task Manager's details tab and manually close any SteamVR processes you may find. Try again.

Sometimes after repeated game launches, SteamVR just stops launching Skyrim properly. Usually killing SteamVR and relaunching it can fix it.

I would have to do this sometimes even with an Index.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've been watching a lot of videos about DIY VR stuff lately, and it's great to see this guy's glove project coming along so well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmP8iGaPbeI

I am absolutely not going to 3D print my own gloves, but if someone can get cheap haptic gloves into production within a couple of years instead of the current insanely expensive options, then I will be very happy. Same with fullbody, there's a bunch of different options coming out within the next year or so at varying levels of cost.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hi thread; I posted in the Steam thread last Thursday about my first real experience with VR, after playing Beat Saber, Pistol Whip and Half Life Alyx at my cousin's house for a couple hours.

This poo poo loving rules and the minute I cease to be unemployed I'm buying a headset... But I've read a bunch of blog articles, read the OP here now that I've discovered there's a dedicated VR thread, and I still can't decide what headset I should go with?

Positively gently caress anything Facebook, sorry I don't care how quality it is or affordable it is. I am normally a huge consumer whore who doesn't mind wasting dollars and would just buy an Index, but my play area is quite limited so would those room scale lighthouse tracking things just be total overkill if my gaming space is only like 5'x6' or so? I'm out of town and can't measure my room right now. The tracking on my cousin's Odyssey seemed just fine from my limited experience so I don't really feel like I need external tracking but :shrug:? I don't know if wireless is a good idea. My desktop has a wired internet connection and the wifi on my phone is always poo poo, but when I had a laptop the wifi seemed just fine. So while cables are inconvenient it's not a deal breaker for me / might be better as it would be annoying to have to return a wireless headset if it proved laggy.

My PC has the most recent gen Intel is (10k? 11k? I've already forgotten) and a 3070 so it's plenty powerful for any headset out there, I imagine.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
You can't even swing your arms fully around a 5x6 playspace, I'm not sure how much VR will be enjoyable with those constraints.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I used my Vive in a pretty limited area, like pretty much exactly the lower limit that SteamVR would accept for a play area, and I was able to manage for the most part. As long as you can take at least one step in any direction you'll be able to play like 90% of VR games, although it obviously won't be ideal. A lot of games you can use the analog sticks on the controllers to move around as well, so as long as smooth movement doesn't make you puke you can mitigate a lack of space with those, or in those cases you can also just play seated if you're a lazy gently caress like me.

If Oculus products are out of the question, I'd suggest either getting an Index or getting a Vive and then also getting Index controllers (which is the setup I have since I managed to get a Vive secondhand for $300) because the stock Vive controllers are shiiiiiiiit.

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 14, 2021

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I had a Rift CV1 when I lived at home, and I managed it by putting the sensors up on a shelf and just mainly standing in one spot, facing one direction. I think the amount of floor space was about the same (or even less). But your mileage may vary, like I was able to move my arms because on one side of my play area I just had my bed so I could stand by the bed and be able to move my arms freely. I couldn't really move around anywhere, but 90% of the time I don't move around anywhere even in my current 6x9 play area in my living room.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm probably under estimating the size, but it's definitely wide enough for me to fully extend my arms in both directions

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Pierson posted:

Do you have it modded or is this vanilla? If it’s unmodded, it shouldn’t be straight up crashing. I’ve got it running pretty stable with like 150+ mods installed so the base game should be even more solid than that.

Like my suggestion would have been to verify files but a reinstall should have fixed that.

(edit) maybe try installing just the Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch and the VR compatibility patcher for it (read the instructions, you have to run an .exe) and see if that does anything. Or probably safer, grab the old version of USSEP from archive.org here: https://archive.org/details/unofficial-skyrim-special-edition-patch-266-4-1-2a.-7z -- that's the last one that was fully stable with VR and that's what I am using.

Also if you are running it modded, like it might be picking up any old mods or something, remember to run it from sksevr_loader.exe (the Skyrim script extender), not from the normal Skyrim exe

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 14, 2021

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I'd go with uninstalling, nuking the entire install folder, and trying to see if there were any other hooks/configs in your ~/users/appdata folder you can dust from orbit. Then reinstall. If it still doesn't play nice from there, god help you.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Alist of the vr games that will have demos on Steam this week, in their special event:

2076 – Midway Multiverse
Against
Arcade Legend
ARK-ADE
Ash of Legends
Blobkin Blaster
Cave Digger 2: Dig Harder
Cyber Defense 2088
Detour Bus
Fog of Cage
I Expect You To Die 2
Into the Darkness VR
Paranormal Detective: Escape from the 90’s
Seeker: My Shadow
Sentenced VR
Squingle
The Patcher
Sam & Max: This Time It’s Virtual!
Outlier
Undead Citadel

Also, it seems the FPS Amid Evil will have a vr mode.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

25mins of Sam & Max

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhA8cEioaZk

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Smash Drums full game is coming out on 6/17!

https://twitter.com/SmashDrumsVR/status/1404498986254360580?s=20

Three songs in the demo but with some RT's they will unlock another

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I haven't played the demo but how is that supposed to work with the drum sticks? Air drumming with no bounceback, no haptic feedback, and added hand-tracking latency (I know it is slower than controller tracking) sounds miserable.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Does anyone else find that they have to spend a lot of time troubleshooting and running into dead ends? I recently got an Oculus Quest 2 and an awful lot of stuff just seems straight up broken. Dirt Rally 2.0 won't recognize any inputs at all in VR mode, Tetris Effect seems to have a pretty buggy UI that recognizes my inputs sometimes but not always, and in Squadrons I can't leave the hanger of the prologue level since I can't seem to do anything in the tie fighter except access the menu, which works fine. Just a bunch of software having seemingly different game breaking problems. Half-Life Alyx works perfectly though

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Oculus seems to give zero shits about racing games especially, I've never had a racing game launched in Oculus mode recognise my wheel's inputs. Then they all work fine in Steam VR mode. Basically don't use Oculus mode unless you absolutely have to.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Zero VGS posted:

I haven't played the demo but how is that supposed to work with the drum sticks? Air drumming with no bounceback, no haptic feedback, and added hand-tracking latency (I know it is slower than controller tracking) sounds miserable.

Yeah I sing the praises of Ragnarock so much specifically because it's not trying to be a real drum experience like what this game seems to be going for.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

That was a dumb trailer unrelated to real gameplay. You play with the controllers.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Is Grapple Tournament good? People playing?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Turin Turambar posted:

That was a dumb trailer unrelated to real gameplay. You play with the controllers.

That's an extremely dumb trailer then, in a world with rhythm games that incorporate real-world instruments that trailer borders on willful misrepresentation.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I really did not like the Smash Drums demo I played a while back. The way it has a bunch of drum pieces flying at you just feels awkward, and makes it feel less like drumming and more like a bad version of beat saber.

I think I much prefer the Ragnarock style of having stationary drums that you hit when the symbols align.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

A Bag of Milk posted:

Does anyone else find that they have to spend a lot of time troubleshooting and running into dead ends? I recently got an Oculus Quest 2 and an awful lot of stuff just seems straight up broken. Dirt Rally 2.0 won't recognize any inputs at all in VR mode, Tetris Effect seems to have a pretty buggy UI that recognizes my inputs sometimes but not always, and in Squadrons I can't leave the hanger of the prologue level since I can't seem to do anything in the tie fighter except access the menu, which works fine. Just a bunch of software having seemingly different game breaking problems. Half-Life Alyx works perfectly though

This is kind of just what you get with PCVR right now. A lot of jank and finagling (not just limited to trying to use a Quest, though Link/VD does add some extra jank).

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
So I got a Quest 2, and tried to make a Facebook account.

Didn't even set up a profile; all I provided was a phone number and my name, and I was instabanned. :iiam:

I had an account in the past, but I deleted it of my own volition. I never violated any community whatists.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

explosivo posted:

Yeah I sing the praises of Ragnarock so much specifically because it's not trying to be a real drum experience like what this game seems to be going for.

Same but also there are times the lack of feedback makes it rough

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Shart Carbuncle posted:

So I got a Quest 2, and tried to make a Facebook account.

Didn't even set up a profile; all I provided was a phone number and my name, and I was instabanned. :iiam:

I had an account in the past, but I deleted it of my own volition. I never violated any community whatists.

Reach out to Oculus support, don't bother with Facebook support as that poo poo is all automated.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Accounts are never truly deleted, so if you had an account in the past and are now setting up a new account with the same details that's gonna set off the instaban. Someone else in this thread did the exact same thing.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I wonder how FB handles European legislation, where the user has to have a way to delete all their data a company has if requested by him.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Zero VGS posted:

Im not a "real" drummer but i dont really have an issue with the bounce back not being there. I feel the buzzes in my controllers when i hit the drums.

I feel like im Tommy Lee smashing skins and it feels good to nail a quick run of 1/2's and 1/4ths.Its akin playing guitar hero for the first time. YMMV also you should play the demo

quote:

I think I much prefer the Ragnarock style of having stationary drums that you hit when the symbols align.
based on this clip the gameplay looks very similar except you just hit the drums in a line as opposed to a "kit placement" style set up in SmashDrums
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz_-9OeBUkc

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 14, 2021

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Im not a "real" drummer but i dont really have an issue with the bounce back not being there. I feel the buzzes in my controllers when i hit the drums.

I feel like im Tommy Lee smashing skins and it feels good to nail a quick run of 1/2's and 1/4ths.Its akin playing guitar hero for the first time. YMMV also you should play the demo

I think they're talking about the video, which incorrectly makes it look like the game is played with the Quest hand tracking.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

I wonder how FB handles European legislation, where the user has to have a way to delete all their data a company has if requested by him.

They probably do what every other company does, have the option but it's either buried deep in the support site such that no-one will find it or has to be explicitly asked for and I'm betting most people have forgotten that right to be forgotten laws were ever a thing by now.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

njsykora posted:

They probably do what every other company does, have the option but it's either buried deep in the support site such that no-one will find it or has to be explicitly asked for and I'm betting most people have forgotten that right to be forgotten laws were ever a thing by now.

Not every company does this; good ones make it clear exactly how to request your data or delete your data based on GDPR/CCPA/etc guidelines. Facebook is evil and will bury it through various menus to the point that there are google-able guides on how to disable/delete your account you can follow. Because of which if they get a request, they can stonewall and say to find the option. Most people are lazy. Like other posters said though, just create a ticket with Oculus support to get your poo poo straight. They want the sweet games-cash from you so if you don't act like a bot to them they'll probably reinstate you pretty quick.

Turin Turambar posted:

Alist of the vr games that will have demos on Steam this week, in their special event:

2076 – Midway Multiverse
Against
Arcade Legend
ARK-ADE
Ash of Legends
Blobkin Blaster
Cave Digger 2: Dig Harder
Cyber Defense 2088
Detour Bus
Fog of Cage
I Expect You To Die 2
Into the Darkness VR
Paranormal Detective: Escape from the 90’s
Seeker: My Shadow
Sentenced VR
Squingle
The Patcher
Sam & Max: This Time It’s Virtual!
Outlier
Undead Citadel

Also, it seems the FPS Amid Evil will have a vr mode.

Thank you for these types of posts, btw. A few of these didn't have a demo option in steam, despite having a demo store page (which brings you to the main store page anyway), but still nice to see some of them, even if some of them end up being dreck. :)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I am going to play the hell out of every one of those demos.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

njsykora posted:

Accounts are never truly deleted, so if you had an account in the past and are now setting up a new account with the same details that's gonna set off the instaban. Someone else in this thread did the exact same thing.
I did this and am fine, I used a different email and waited 7 years, same name though.

The way I understood it there was a way to shelve an account and a way to delete. I went for "permanent delete" but I'm sure you are right that it retains things, it knows all my old friends.

I even did the cheeky bio of "I am using this pretty much just for VR"
I added 6 close friends and stopped when I received like 100 emails over that and had to change a bunch of settings.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

So if I'm running games from my computer through an Oculus Quest 2, using Virtual Desktop, as long as I meet the minimum requirements it should be ok? I'm flirting with the idea of running vanilla Skyrim VR, but my laptop has an Nvidia Quadro P600 graphics card, which is a dedicated card vs. integrated but still isn't great. The comparison site I'm using tells me it won't run, but it then compares that to the minimum requirements which my card meets. I also have a slightly slower CPU, but in the comparison they're both core i5 processors that run at around the same GHz. I don't plan on running many mods because it's around the 10-year anniversary of the game and I can barely remember the plot outside of "kill dragons, i used to be an adventurer-blah-blah-blah" so I might find a general Unofficial Patch mod and maybe a couple general lightweight recommended mods from the community. Will that run as well as vanilla-but-with-a-shitload-of-mods Skyrim? Because my computer can do that very well, but VR games seem to just be so much more than my computer can handle.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Thanks for giving me hope, everyone. The language on that Facebook message has such an air of finality that I didn’t expect I’d have much recourse.

DelphiAegis posted:

They want the sweet games-cash from you so if you don't act like a bot to them they'll probably reinstate you pretty quick.

So I guess I should stop signing all my emails ”Beep Boop I am a Computer.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I mean, Steam has a good refund policy. It sounds like no, especially considering frame drops in VR aren't just annoying, it's the poo poo that makes you sick when it happens a lot. But if you really want to go for it just keep an eye on the clock and refund before 2 hours if it's unplayable.