Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Space Kablooey posted:

If we are getting news from a Chinese nuclear power plant and they say "it's fine", that's how you know things aren't fine.

Is that just because they're Chinese or...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Source4Leko posted:

More specifically because I doubt the CCP wouldn't control comms from a nuclear power plant of all places.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Nah, it's cause their reactors use a volatile mix of uranium and chinesium.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Space Kablooey posted:

More specifically because I doubt the CCP wouldn't control comms from a nuclear power plant of all places.

Ah based on a gut feeling of yours cool.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

It's more based on knowing generally that the CCP has a very well entrenched history of censorship and propaganda but I'll shut up yeah.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Source4Leko posted:

China has earned skepticism over any official communications and has also earned a reputation for poor quality control for manufactured goods and constructed buildings. It has nothing to do with Chinese people as a race, and everything to do with the government of China and the culture that they have fostered that has allowed for slipshod work to be the norm and for government communications to be censored heavily.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Source4Leko posted:

Ah based on a gut feeling of yours cool.

The gently caress? The CCP has lied about the Uyghur genocide, the five-eyes community agrees that using Huawei communications equipment is a security risk, and the CCP have been holding two Canadians on trumped-up charges for years. It's absolutely okay to not take any news out of there at face value.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Huge read the article mode:

It's a loving French-designed plant and ASN have no comment so what is even going on. Also all replies upthread from this are cooked.

Srsly. That tweet was really misleading.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 14, 2021

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Don't listen to them Source4leko. Somebody has to protect the noble Chinese empire from American racists. I believe in you!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Space Kablooey posted:

If we are getting news from a Chinese nuclear power plant and they say "it's fine", that's how you know things aren't fine.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Why did they mention Washington and Biden the linked article never mentions either of them. In fact the linked article mentions that they contacted US DOE who ignored them: https://www.reuters.com/world/china/chinas-cgn-says-nuclear-station-meets-safety-rules-amid-reports-leak-2021-06-14/. Apparently it's a French-designed reactor in China why would the US even be involved?

It's a loving French-designed plant and ASN have no comment so what is even going on. Also all replies upthread from this are cooked.

Edit: wild that people tripping over themselves to blame so-and-so when this is really just turbo-irresponsible reporting on behalf of CNN and Reuters and whoever else they referenced.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 14, 2021

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Forgot what forum I'm in bye!

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I mean, every government in the world knows about this if it's a radiation leak. Satellites monitor ionizing radiation sources very closely in NK, Iran, China, russia, etc.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

The gently caress? The CCP has lied about the Uyghur genocide, the five-eyes community agrees that using Huawei communications equipment is a security risk, and the CCP have been holding two Canadians on trumped-up charges for years. It's absolutely okay to not take any news out of there at face value.

COVID-19, also. lol

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Space Kablooey posted:

https://i.imgur.com/gZTNMzM.mp4

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Edit: wild that people tripping over themselves to blame so-and-so when this is really just turbo-irresponsible reporting on behalf of CNN and Reuters and whoever else they referenced.

Gotta rush to be the first to post how untrustworthy the Chinese are while lapping at the good and correct trough of American media propaganda :shrug:

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
You see the Chinese lie like this, while the American media lies like that, one is clearly better than the other!

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Quote not edit

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

This thread is going to require a posting hardhat soon.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

That Reuters article seems to be suffering from a similar problem as was mentioned up-thread:

GotLag posted:

Executive summary: neutron emissions match predicted changes due to decrease in rainwater levels in new containment
https://twitter.com/ThatRadGuy5/status/1398425516068196352

Except also the Reuters article is forcing jingoism, or at least their social media team is.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Srsly. That tweet was really misleading.

Of course China has lied about all sorts of stuff, but when people post about the "next season of Chernobyl" it's worth pointing that that isn't how modern reactors work. The source being unreliable warrants considering other sources in light of known facts, not just assuming the opposite of whatever they're saying.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
the Chemtool fire is going to be allowed to burn out as there is a river close to the plant and they're concerned about runoff.

Said it'll take a few days to burn off, probably.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/wdebtvl.gifv

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Why can I hear this if there's no sound?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/D00K2TP.gifv

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

shield your balls gentlemen, here comes the militia

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You really need to see the whole thing with sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6QXadkl5Dc

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ulmont posted:

Damp cotton too. Periodically growing up we’d see a cotton trailer headed down the road on fire.

Coal can do it too, though for different reasons.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Zero One posted:

https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1404461124368711680?s=21

I'm looking forward to the next season of Chernobyl.

Chernobyl 2: Chinese Boogaloo

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/USCPSC/status/1404582160149925889

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

https://6abc.com/criminal-investigation-underway-into-large-fuel-spill-in-delaware-co/10787394/

Between 1,000 to 4,500 gallons of gas was allowed to spill in a Philly suburb.
Someone might be going to jail over this because it wasn’t reported for over 8 hours after it happened, and was only reported because the entire area smells like gas.

They are trying to keep it from reaching the Delaware river right now.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

evilbastard posted:

was trying to stop him storing 46 tons of fertilizer in a barn of damp hay

You blow up 46 tons, what do you get?
Not another day older but deeper in death.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

AFewBricksShy posted:

https://6abc.com/criminal-investigation-underway-into-large-fuel-spill-in-delaware-co/10787394/

Between 1,000 to 4,500 gallons of gas was allowed to spill in a Philly suburb.
Someone might be going to jail over this because it wasn’t reported for over 8 hours after it happened, and was only reported because the entire area smells like gas.

They are trying to keep it from reaching the Delaware river right now.

Maybe some truckfuckler here can tell me better than a quick Google search, but that seems to be anywhere from a quarter to a whole tanker truck full of gas. That seems like an excessive quantity to spill without there being a wrecked truck nearby. So, uh, what the gently caress?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Azathoth posted:

Maybe some truckfuckler here can tell me better than a quick Google search, but that seems to be anywhere from a quarter to a whole tanker truck full of gas. That seems like an excessive quantity to spill without there being a wrecked truck nearby. So, uh, what the gently caress?

Based on the high level alarms, they overfilled a gas station and drove off without telling anyone.

Edit: Looked up the location and lol

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Azathoth posted:

Someone went WIMPY WIMPY WIMPY instead of HEFTY HEFTY HEFTY when picking bags to fill with gas.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Bondematt posted:

Based on the high level alarms, they overfilled a gas station and drove off without telling anyone.

Edit: Looked up the location and lol

I mean, more like how do you overfill by that much? That would seem like whoever overfilled just emptied their truck and drove off

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Just drive off, because the oil company has no records of who was driving the truck or interest in what happened to the $15k in product that mysteriously vanished

also, :killdozer: TANKFUCKLING :killdozer:

https://mobile.twitter.com/WorldBollard/status/1404537085449715716

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Planes should be made of Black Box material, tanks should be made out of bollardanium.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ask not for whom the bollard fuckles, it fuckles for thee.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Big Brass Bollards

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I love how often military equipment is foiled by the competency of their operators.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Lobsterboy posted:

This has now exploded in some fashion:
https://twitter.com/MyStateline/status/1404443234026336262?s=20

Hopefully everyone got out, but hoo boy that firetruck for scale... thats a big fireball.

I was there for this poo poo and saw the flames go above the tree line, was driving towards it and had no idea what it was. Took some pics and video, tried to get closer and got turned back. Then just drove through the "mandatory evacuation" town that no one knew was under evac, people walking around outside, tons of cars , etc.

Was dumb as hell to go under the smoke cloud without knowing what it was, I thought it was a weird prairie fire at first since I've done those in the area, and then was thinking the paper mill or something when I saw the flames behind the trees. My high school was pretty close to it

The smoke smelled pretty weird, I did have the a/c on so that hopefully helped me avoid black lung or whatever the gently caress

Also rip Rockford getting even more poo poo dumped on them

This is the vid I took after getting stopped from getting closer
https://twitter.com/HalalHoxha/status/1404483535617114120

Edit : talked to my dad who drove under the smoke cloud a few times (so much for the evacuation order). said he couldn't smell it since it had gone up high enough but he could see it dropped down onto Rockford. Also another local place had a fire on its roof right away because of flaming debris. The firefighters stopped using water at some point because it was making the flaming oil run down towards the river too quickly, it's only a few hundred feet

Oh and my initial thought of "isn't there a paper factory over there" was based on a school field trip to that actual building, it used to make newspaper machines but now oil/grease, so no wonder I didn't think it was chemical

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 15, 2021